Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Jarod kept his hands on the wheel of his car. She chose the couch. Thomas Gates had her right there. The clone had rightfully made her angry, and she found solace with Thomas Gates. Thomas had every chance in the world to get back with her.

 

From his words, and from his posture, Jarod felt a deep relief inside. He didn’t choose the couch for her, she chose the couch. Not his bed. They didn’t get back together. They were great lovers, he knew that. He was the one who brought them to each other. Their compatibility was sky high, and losing Thomas Gates was one of the hardest things that had ever hit Parker. She chose the couch.

 

“Is it over?” Parker said as she looked out the window. “The whole scroll bull, the last part is over now. Rage included, end of the evil.”

 

“The scrolls can’t dictate anything else,” Jarod said as he turned a corner. “It’s all over. From this time on, there is no fate. Just good old fashioned Pretender skills.” He gave her a small smile.

 

“That is so relieving,” Miss Parker breathed low. “I hate fate and destiny.”

 

“I know. You like to be in control of everything,” Jarod said happy they were having a conversation again. “You are. To a degree.”

 

“Do I get to choose Tahiti as the next pretend when you fix your little clone’s miscalculation?” Miss Parker asked. “Tahiti has people who need help.”

 

“Thinking more along the lines of Oregon,” Jarod said. “Pretty view.”

 

“Had a chance to go,” she said, picking up his point. “I don’t think it’s for me. Tahiti sounds better. Maybe Paris.”

 

It was casual conversation, yet the stakes were so high on how he handled it. He couldn’t push, pushing her didn’t work. She needed to slide into it. Feel like she was in control of it. “Maybe Paris.” Jarod noticed her giving him a slight look. “People need help all over. In and out of America. Maybe Paris when things get a little better.”

 

She looked shocked, then recovered. She looked back out the window. “Monsieur Chameleon.” She smiled. “How long do you think it will take to figure out how to lower the distraction? It’s in the air all over.”

 

“Already done, people just haven’t noticed it yet. They will soon and sorry,” Jarod said, “and sorry. I had to do it.” He dug into his pocket and gave her something. “Yours.”

 

She picked it up and inspected it. It was a necklace with the symbol of Onyssius, angel of retribution. “This a birthstone replacement?” she joked.

 

“I made it some time ago, I wanted it to be a surprise later on. No time like the present.” He smiled at her. “Plus, I wanted to make extra sure.”

 

She spun the necklace charm around delicately. “Make sure what?”

 

“I gave you the flu to save your life, Parker.”

 

She stole a quick look at him. Caught somewhere between annoyance, appreciation, and a slight realization. Jarod somehow turned a flu into the cure. She would have eventually got it if it was that easy to catch. “Last time you did that, I didn’t have a fun time.”

 

“Probably still won’t,” he admitted, “but it’s done out of love this time.”

 

Her move. It could have been a slip, a nice sentiment, or a tease. She couldn’t pin it down. Which kept the game going. “Normal people get to find out they have the flu when they aren’t feeling so well. I always have the privilege of knowing days in advance.” She looked back toward the necklace. “Well, it’s life saving.” She touched the charm again. “Jarod, how fast is your new flu going to spread?”

 

“Oh, it’s a doozy,” Jarod said. “I needed to make sure it was caught quick. The flu shot won’t work on it, but I tried to make the strain mild. I hit some of the hardest places out there. Got into a few of my emergency cashes, got several people in hard to reach places to reach out. I blew a whistle to ask for help, and a lot came through,” he admitted. “Even Pretenders need help I guess.”

 

A lot. A whole lot of people who knew Jarod’s real identity, were there to help. From those who were given back justice, family, or confidence. They all reached back. “While . . . not everyone with a good immune system will ride it as well, the casualties will be tremendously less.” He looked back toward her, seeing her reaction.

 

“You just gave a new flu to the world all at once?” She blinked. “There are so many people that will be cussing you out in a few days.”

 

“They live?” Jarod reminded her. “That should be forgivable.”

 

“They live with the flu. It’s partly forgivable,” she teased him. She groaned. Yet, still looked at the necklace. “Thanks for infecting me with the flu as soon as possible so I didn’t have to figure out how to catch it later.” Longer pause. “Thanks, Jarod.”

 

“Your welcome.”

 

--------------------------

 

When they returned back, both of them were excited to see Onyssius and Little Angel again. They hung around their crib, rocking and taking care of them gently, realizing how much time had already passed by.

 

“Feels like just yesterday I was at The Centre preventing Hades from killing them or you,” Jarod said casually. “Time flies. They should be talking soon.” Onyssius made a sound. “Real words that we can understand.” He smiled. “They will be walking before we know it too.”

 

“Have to crawl before they walk, Jarod,” Miss Parker said as she held Onyssius. “Which is good, they’ve grown up enough without us already. Neither of us can say we’ve always been here.”

 

“We did what we could,” Jarod said as he held Little Angel. He placed her on the ground and watched her. She didn’t get far before giving up, but she managed to crawl a little. “We’ll be here for the rest.”

 

“They aren’t terminated, you know,” Miss Parker pointed out at him as she tried to sit down Onyssius. “They are still out there. The Triumvirate would have been completely wiped out but you chose to give the world a new flu to prevent their insanity. Cheeky.”

 

He smirked. “Most of the ones in power were gone.”

 

“This new flu better not be-“

 

“Mild. Stubborn but mild, Onyssius and Little Angel will be okay,” Jarod assured her. “It’s not your typical flu, Parker.”

 

“Do you think they’ll regain their power back one day?” Miss Parker asked. “You never know. It was just a scroll. Lot of read between the lines. Maybe there’s more out there of it.”

 

“I’ll be careful,” Jarod assured once again. “I won’t get sloppy. Even if The Centre isn’t out there to catch me, there are quite a few people who don’t like me.”

 

“Gee, ya think? I’m sure the hurricane guy would just love to give you a great. Big. Hug,” she reminded him as she flashed him her teeth slightly in her smile. “His dentist must know your name by heart.”

 

Ah, that guy. “First time we worked together to accomplish something,” Jarod pointed out to her as he picked his daughter back up. “Look how far we came.”

 

“Farther than I ever saw coming,” Parker admitted.

 

“Yeah.” Jarod stole a glance toward Sydney on the other side of the room talking to his mother. “Now that I have a chance to relax without scrolls, pregnant enemies, enemies becoming friends, missing mother, or any of life’s other assorted details.”

 

“See the obvious in front of you?” Miss Parker said to him. “They haven’t done anything. No date, no nothing. Not to my knowledge.” She watched him.

 

Most likely to see his reaction. Jarod had concentrated on everything around him from Debbie’s cure, to the world’s cure, to taking care of his children, to escaping The Centre, to making sure his family couldn’t hurt Parker . . . “I was busy,” he said. Still. Now he was putting it together.

 

His mom didn’t smile all the time. When she thought of the past, she was often sad. It hurt seeing that sad smile. With Jarod, her smile was bright, and with Miss Parker. There was something lovingly different when she smiled at Sydney though.

 

And Sydney, his eyes and mouth both seemed wider and happier then, simply having a night’s cap with Jarod’s mother. They were either the best of friends that were soul mates. Or. They love each other.

 

“Like I said,” Parker said pulling him out of his thoughts. “Mommies don’t always have to end up with daddies.” She looked straight at him. “Life doesn’t dictate how we feel.”

 

Had he not been paying very close attention, that would have felt like a rejection. She wasn’t referring to them though. She was referring to Sydney and his mother. Nothing may have ever happened, but from the way they spoke. Their eyes on each other. The tone of their voice and the laughter escaping between.

 

“She had never forsaken Major Charles,” Parker said quickly. “Jarod. Your dad couldn’t get over what happened. With him not being there for her, and the attraction between them. It was bound to happen.”

 

“Even if dad could, it’d be too late,” Jarod noted. “And, he can’t.” Maybe, with some special counseling and therapy, maybe they could once again be tolerant of each other. Perhaps years into the future they might make a recovery enough to be friends. Anything more was gone.

 

“It’s life, Jarod. It’s a messy thing.” Miss Parker picked up a rattle for Onyssius. He shoved it into his mouth. “He cannot wait to get your flu.”

 

Jarod smiled at his son and reached for him. Little Angel cried for attention.

 

“Oh, are you not getting enough attention from your daddy?” Miss Parker teased her as she picked her daughter up.

 

“Angels love their daddies,” Jarod said offhandedly.

 

“Daddies love their angels.” She kissed the top of her forehead. “He would have been so proud to see you.” She smiled. “So would your grandma.” She wiped her eyes. “I don’t know if I can really believe the hard part is over, Jarod. What does Ethan have to say about it all?”

 

“Nothing much. No voices warning him of anything. Seems happy. Ethan . .” Jarod said delicately. “Somehow, he seems to be able to stand Argyle a lot better than anyone according to Sydney. He’s his new roommate, and he is working on helping him get Mona back.” That was good for Argyle. He didn’t know about for Ethan. “Friends are good?”

 

“Well, unlikely friends do happen,” Miss Parker pointed out.

 

“Like a Boy Genius making friends with the person’s daughter who was keeping him locked up?” Jarod suggested with a tease. “Said daughter hunts down her old friend when they get older? Life is strange.” Still. “I wouldn’t trade any of it though. It all led to this.”

 

“Two babies and me trailing you everywhere,” Miss Parker said. “Joy for you.”

 

“I want that,” he said. “You were already trailing me everywhere, so this is much better.” He noticed her look of annoyance at that statement. “I mean it. I wouldn’t have changed a single day between us.” Maybe. “Except finding you at Thomas Gates.”

 

“Even if something had happened,” Miss Parker assured him, “I wasn’t going to take the kids from you and make him their new daddy alone. You are theirs, and they are yours.”

 

“I didn’t dream of having to share my children, but that wasn’t what I was thinking about.” Careful. So careful. “We should put them down for the night. We’ll all be getting sick soon, better rest up for it.”

 

“Don’t remind me.” She picked up Onyssius and headed toward the bedroom.

 

Jarod would head that way soon. First, he went toward Sydney and his mother. Those two were in their own little world. His mom even seemed to make Sydney look younger. “Off to bed.”

 

“Good to hear.” His mother noticed him. “Jarod, I’m so glad everyone is safe.” She touched her chest. “I know I promised I wouldn’t cry anymore, so I won’t. Just, what a time it’s been! You enjoy sleeping next to your Angels again.” Then, his mom’s personality came through again. “Go try to park into Parker soon.”

 

Oh, his mom. He looked toward Sydney. “Goodnight to you too, Sydney.”

 

“Goodnight Jarod.” Simple. Nice. Friendly. Not trying to interfere with anything. “I’m sure Debbie wishes you a goodnight too. I don’t know about Broots. All I received is ‘he saved Debbie and that’s what matters’.”

 

“Typical,” Jarod said. “I am going to be bringing Gemini back and forth to know the real world, so of course he’ll be testy.” Better get used to it. “He’ll find his way eventually out there again.”

 

“Yes. I think we all will once we are positively sure about The Centre,” Sydney said. “If you took down the evil of the Triumvirate, The Centre could still be out there. Finding new ways to survive.”

 

“Evil never dies,” Jarod remarked. Then? I really don’t want to do this. He was finally beginning to understand Sydney’s actions and motives. He couldn’t just let this go on though. Everyone deserved happiness. Even those that failed others. Sydney messed up, but so did his own mother. It was probably the tie that brought them to each other. Sydney was more refined, his taste and his style less ambitious. He strolled into things, and often kept feelings in check. Jarod’s mother Margaret was completely ambitious, a Pretender herself, and so opposite. Yet, they worked. As a pair. As impossible as it seemed. “It tends to get a little chillier in the back I’ve noticed,” Jarod said. “You’ll be getting sick soon enough, mom. I think you should room with Sydney to stay warmer if you can.”

 

He gave a quick nod to Sydney, and left. As for permission, that was as much as he could give. Sydney and her had to figure the rest of it out.

 

--------------------

 

Miss Parker was already in bed waiting for him. “Are we all hanging out here while were sick before we leave?”

 

Jarod removed most of his clothes and slid in bed. She was used to that by now. She was used to everything. “Everyone wants to wait and see what happens with The Centre. Make sure it’s safe to move on, and then figure out how to move on. I’ll let everyone stay here as long as they need to,” he said. “But we’ll probably move on. There’s people out there that need help that are waiting on me. My list is very far behind, it’ll need reorganized, people placed in, people taken out.” He chuckled. “We’ll all ride out the flu together though.”

 

“Great,” she said. “So back to Pretending soon?’

 

“Back to Pretending,” Jarod agreed.

 

“Hm.” She tucked herself into the bed. “Jarod. We need to make sure those kidnapped kids by The Centre get homes. We need to find them.”

 

“I think Jarod Angel still has his own life, and I think that’s part of it too,” Jarod said. Come on, Parker. Don’t drag your feet. He couldn’t say it. If he did, it led to her feeling out of control. It had to be done right. “We’ll still watch out for it.”

 

“If I hadn’t gone to Africa,” Miss Parker said, “and got my ass kidnapped, none of this would have happened. You would have had a successful year learning new things and I would have had another fifty migraines trying to stay up with you.” She sighed. “I know you wanted your family, Jarod, but we make things harder. You’ll never leave, and I won’t either. But if they weren’t here, things would have been the same. Don’t you miss that sameness? Your freedom? I sure as heck missed my world.”

 

“No.” Gentle. “I don’t miss that. I’ve never wanted anything but to have someone always here with me. To live life with. I don’t care if it makes my duty harder.” He looked back toward her. “Crystal ball right in front of you, Parker.” His turn. “Would you rather be next in line running The Centre, or be the great mom that you are now?”

 

“Biased sentence structure,” she teased. “I would have chosen The Centre because it’s all I knew. Knowing now though how much I love my children, I would do anything to get pregnant by you.” She caught her words. “I mean, you’re the father, so I would have to use you to have them. Again.” She glanced at him. “Wipe off that smirk, Jarod.”

 

“If you have no regrets, then why would I?” Jarod sunk himself deeper into the covers. “I’m happy here with you.”

 

“Well, you shouldn’t be. You shouldn’t settle,” she noted. “You’ve got more than one girlfriend out there, Jarod, don’t be coy. You don’t have to be alone at nights with me in the room.”

 

“I like spending my nights with you in the room,” he said. Okay, it was faster than he meant. But. “I thought I lost you and the kids, Parker. The only thing that held me together was saving people. The same thing that held me together when I realized what The Centre was and how to escape it. How to find my family. How to get through so much.”

 

“I know,” she admitted. “I won’t do it again. I needed to find a way.” She was quiet for a little while. “The whole time, I was really cranky. I must have drove your clone crazy. I. Kept thinking about how you were. I couldn’t stop. I? I was worried. I didn’t know how it would end. I hated it, and I guess. A part of me. Just.” She crossed her arms in bed. “One.”

 

“One what?” Jarod asked.

 

“One. Date. Just one,” she said. “And only one, and I decide if I see anything there or not. Then afterwards you can stop with the sad puppy eyes, and you surely aren’t getting anything extra than a date unless I say so.” She held her finger toward him. “And, I still reserve the right not to commit to anything and date others afterward if I want. I’m not constrained or forced to be-?”

 

He couldn’t help it. He knew he shouldn’t, she needed the control, but finally seeing the chance? He wrapped his arms around her and took her down, kissing her. Finally. Kissing his Miss Parker. Not watching others kiss her, no. Him.

 

She didn’t pull away at first, a real good sign he didn’t mess up with the maneuver. When he let go, he just smirked. “If you insist. One date.”

 

She had an odd yet content groan. “No promises of future bliss.”

 

“No promises of future bliss, Parker.”

 

“And after I’ve been sick too. I’m not going on a date in the middle of a flu epidemic.” She still look dumbfounded. “If you didn’t have the flu, you have it now.”

 

“Of course, Dear.”

 

“And don’t. Smirk about it. It’s because I feel bad about what I had to do, and you had no right to steal that kiss,” She warned him. “You are lucky I am in a forgiving mood. Night, Jarod.”

 

Jarod let go of her and let her turn. The chain reaction had finally begun. Now that she felt in control? It’s only a matter of time.

 

Soon pretending to be his wife, wouldn’t even feel like pretending anymore.