Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The Centre: Office Room of Miss Parker, Leader of the Centre . . .

 

“You are not having the twin angels, you are just having twins!” Mutumbo accused Miss Parker as he and Adama physically flung Broots into her office.

Miss Parker looked at Broots on the floor. “What is the meaning of this?”

“He is the father!” Adama shouted at her. “Not Angelo. I always thought your story seemed fishy. There is no potential pretender inside of you. It’s just regular Parkers!”

Miss Parker held her pencil firmly in her hand. “I never said they were any ‘twin angels’. I don’t even know what that means.”

“You cannot fool us,” Mutumbo said to her. “You are having regular children.” He sighed. “Your daughter will be named Angel. Perhaps it will be her fate to have the twin angels?”

Miss Parker watched as Sydney came in. Finally, someone who could made sense of this mess. “Mister Sydney.”

“I am sorry, Miss Parker,” Sydney said. “It seems they heard Mister Broots and I discussing the children and Angelo, and Mister Broots accidentally told the truth about the paternity involving him.”

“What?” Broots was starting to wake up. “I did, what? Oh.” He looked toward Miss Parker. “Sorry. I-I didn’t mean-“

“I didn’t want The Triumvirate to hold it against me,” Miss Parker said for herself. “As of the relationship with me and Broots, yes. We have been hunting Jarod for six years together. However, Mister Broots doesn’t have the confidence to run The Centre. I love him, but he’s a whiney ass pansy that’s afraid of his own shadow, and I had better luck of molding Angelo into what it needed. After he was fixed with Mister Sydney.”

Adama and Mutumbo both looked at each other.

“It’s just regular business. Regular birth,” Adama said. “Fine, we no longer care. You are still fit to run The Centre. We will be running another test soon to re-examine Mister Lyle’s qualities for running it. I believe if we both deem him fit, he can be a replacement for The Centre when you are not available.” He nodded to Mutumbo. “I will be scheduling a trip to leave America as soon as I can then. There’s no reason to stay.”

“Yes. This situation is resolved. Miss Parker can run it, but she isn’t what we needed.” Mutumbo’s eyes laid on her tummy. “At least not yet. Remember, she is calling her daughter ‘Angel’, Adama. Hm.”

When they both left, Sydney breathed a sigh of relief.

“O-kay?” Miss Parker said gesturing to Broots. “What the hell did you say, Broots?”

“Oh.” He slightly smiled in fear. “No more Mister Broots?”

“He made them believe your children were nothing special,” Sydney smiled. “Which is exactly what we wanted!” He went over and slapped Broots on the back playfully. “Get up, Broots. That couldn’t have been more spectacular.”

“Okay? Can I get any details?” Miss Parker insisted as she came out from behind the desk. She stood in front of it, with her arms crossed, staring at Broots. Before Broots opened his mouth though, Adama came back in. “May I help you with anything else?”

“Reputation is still important. Even the most fragile mind can be trained.” He looked toward Broots. “You will marry Miss Parker instead of Angelo, at the assigned date. You will move in with her, as well as your daughter. We will begin your own focus treatments immediately. A healthy body is all that is needed for the process. To make you into the Parker you need to be.” Then, he left.

“Oh. Focus treatments?” Broots looked toward Miss Parker. “Oh. I-I’m sorry! It was a mistake, I-“

Miss Parker held her finger toward Broots. “You, shut up.” She took that same finger and gestured it toward Sydney. “You. Start.”

Sydney nodded. “Broots and I were having dinner together in the cafeteria. A regular occasion, Broots was discussing what he wanted to do with Debbie, or if he should stay at The Centre. While speaking of this, we also discussed Angelo, and Broots simply made a joke, about how it would have been better if it had been him instead of Angelo. With the right words, in the right order, and Adama and Mutumbo standing behind him at the right time?” Sydney shrugged. “How could I not take that chance to save you from the fate of Angelo? He is unstable. He is a good man, but as an empath, he is dangerous.” He gestured to Broots. “If for some reason, you have to make it to the Floating Bed Bridge. They don’t come any gentler, Miss Parker.”

“Huh?” Broots looked toward Miss Parker. “Um? I? I just wanted to help, I didn’t think . . .”

“You did.” Miss Parker stared at him, with a slight smirk. “You’re a moron, Broots, but you genuinely helped me out.” She stepped forward toward him. “Front and Center. Now.”

Broots did as she commanded, but felt her mouth envelope his. It didn’t take very long for him to reciprocate either.

Then Mutumbo walked in. “We will be heading out soon.” He looked at both of them as they let go of the kiss. He looked toward Broots. “Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. The Triumvirate will take care of it all. Is there anything you are allergic to?”

“Uh. I-I don’t think so,” Broots said.

“Good. Good day.”

“I knew they’d do that,” Miss Parker said. “They tend to come in an office multiple times.” She fixed Broots collar. He was sweating. “Calm down, Broots.” She sighed. “Look.” She tried to smile at him, and oddly kissed the top of his bald forehead. “If things stay bad, I was either stuck with Angelo who could eventually kill me, or with my nerdy computer guy who’s had the hots for me since day one.” She fixed his shirt. “I choose my nerdy computer guy. Get your stuff. Debbie will be safe with us.”

“Uh? But?” Broots couldn’t speak. “I. Uh oh.” He rubbed his mouth.  He watched Sydney reaching for his phone. “Oh, who are you calling?!”

“A U haul,” Sydney said. “The Triumvirate will want this matter taken care of right away.” He headed out the glass doors.

 

----------------------------

Jarod’s Mother’s Car.

 

Jarod looked at his phone. Sydney? He answered it. “I think the Pretender clone that killed my friends is out of America now,” he said. “He had some kind of green virus running through his arm, and he had a limited time to make it back.”

“Let’s hope so, Jarod. As for your ‘twin angels’ as Adama and Mutumbo called them, I have a feeling everything is alright now. They believe them to be regular children.”

“Really?” Jarod smiled. “That’s good news. How’d that happen?”

“A chance interruption in the cafeteria. Now, Broots is scheduled to marry Miss Parker instead of Angelo. She will be safer now if anything happens and she’s stuck at The Centre. He is moving in tomorrow morning.”

“Um?” Jarod looked toward his mom then blinked a couple of times. “Could you tell me that again?”

“They believe that Broots is the father, instead of Angelo. To them, she is no longer carrying ‘twin angels’. Just regular twins. Whatever the scrolls had said, they don’t believe she is the one anymore. They even told her that in her absence, Lyle can run The Centre temporarily once approved. They just need to deem him fit again. Maybe a few days for paperwork to go through. They have to override Mister Parker’s previous judgment.”

“Uh . . . huh.” Jarod felt his breath catch. “Moving in tomorrow morning?“

“Yes, they’ll be marrying in Africa. The Triumvirate is taking care of everything.”

Jarod rubbed his mouth. “Can you tell me about that Floating Bed Bridge now?”

“Oh. Well? It is a special bridge designed to commemorate and celebrate events of The Triumvirate’s couples. It is often used for honeymoons and anniversaries.”

“Why were you upset about it though?” Jarod asked. “Sydney?”

“Well, it can also be viewed from the top arch. The bridge is like a bed, Jarod. A floating bed. Sometimes, officials have been known to make sure regular activities are performed as not to being tricked.”

“ . . . honeymoon activities.”

“Yes. This is good news though, Jarod! Angelo, he was in no way prepared to encounter that bridge. Broots will be fine up there with her, if things have to get that far.”

“No, he’s not.”

“Why not?”

Cause I’m going to kill him. Jarod hung up the phone. He touched his forehead.

“Jarod?” His mother asked. “Was that Thomas Gates again?”

“No,” Jarod said a little hard of breath. “It might not be Thomas the scrolls are referring to.” He looked at his mother. “It could be . . . Mister Broots.”

“Broots?” His mom looked astonished. “The little computer guy always beside her?”

“Yes.”

“Oh. Well, I did say the scrolls were vague.”

“He can’t have them. I know he’s a good dad, but he can’t have my kids.”

“Don’t struggle, Jarod, its okay,” she said. “Besides, you were ready to give her back to Thomas Gates.”

“Yeah, but. I don’t.” What was the difference? She was just as safe with Broots because Parker took care of herself. “This isn’t right. I am really unsettled by this.”

“Jarod?” His mother smiled. “Thomas Gates was someone you found for her. You felt he was worthy enough to be with her. You know how much she loved him. How nice they were together, how he had such a good effect on her. And now that he’s back, you wanted her to have that same kind of sweet happy ever after, even if it wasn’t with you, because he was the love of her life.” She changed gears. “Instead, she’s going to be banging The Centre’s local computer guy.”

“Mom!” Jarod winced. “You are really not what I expected.”

“Make jokes all you want. Finding someone for the woman of your dreams in the first place was tough, but at least you had some control when you were the one who picked him. Knowing Broots, the locally scared of his own shadow guy bumping fuzzies with your dream girl, Jarod? Not working so well on your noggin’.” She made a ‘tsk, tsk’ sound.  “Jarod. I think we need to go on our Pretend,” she said. “It’ll make you feel better.”

“Why? What are we going to be?”

“Cooks. At a cafeteria.” She shifted gears one more time. “At The Centre itself. Not scared, are you?”

“Actually,” Jarod stared out the front of the window. “Sounds good. There’s somebody I’d like to talk to.”

 

----------------------

 

The next day . . .

 

Broots looked around himself as he sat in the cafeteria with Sydney again. “It . . . feels like everyone’s been watching me all day.”

“Of course,” Sydney said. “You are going to be the new Mister Parker to them.”

“Broots Parker?” Broots couldn’t say it with a straight face. “How the hell did this happen? I-I don’t even know.” He looked upward. “Why’s Aerosmith playing in the cafeteria? Usually the stuff is duller.”

Sydney shrugged. “They play all kinds. Your mind is jumping today, isn’t it?” He patted the front of the table. “I wouldn’t stress, Broots. Jarod and Miss Parker will in all likelihood have their situation resolved very soon, way before any marriage takes place. This is just a much better precaution,” he reminded him. “Angelo is unstable. He was unsafe.”

“You’re right, you’re right,” Broots said. “Most likely, we’ll be okay.”

“Extra potatoes, Sir?”

Broots saw a large pile of mashed potatoes land next to his hamburger, but that wasn’t the surprise. Not only did no one serve way out there, the server had a voice like . . .

“More?”

A pissed off Jarod. “No.” Another larger pile landed on his tray, splashing on his clothes. “Shoot.”

“Oh no, better get that cleaned up.” Jarod’s voice came as he pulled him up from where he sat. “Let’s get you to the bathroom, Sir.”

“Uh, Sydney?” Broots looked back. Oh thank goodness he was following.

Jarod practically heaved him into the bathroom before flinging him casually to the wall.

“Easy, Jarod,” Sydney said as he came into the bathroom with them. “If you did not understand, I helped to perpetuate the lie. Please, calm down.”

“My kids,” Jarod said picking Broots back off the wall. He brought him eye to eye with him. “You don’t touch Miss Parker until after my kids are out of her.”

“Yeah, yeah, I get it,” Broots said. “I won’t touch her like that, Jarod. I never meant for this to happen! Please don’t kill me?”

Jarod sighed and pushed him away, letting Broots stumble.

“Jarod, that’s not polite,” Sydney reminded him. “I am more to blame than Broots for this.”

“Why?” Jarod looked toward Sydney.

“You two have come and gone, from Pretending to the Centre, Pretending to the Centre, if you don’t get your lives figured out before your children are born, then at least Miss Parker will not be forced up there with Angelo,” Sydney reminded him. “He can’t even handle a kiss. That kind of pressure and new sensations, feelings, and touches?”

 

“He’d kill her.” Oh. Jarod understood now. He looked back at Broots, who looked absolutely terrified of him. He smiled. “Sorry there, Mister Broots.” He helped to dust him off. “I thought something else was going on.”

“I already told you,” Sydney said and shook his head. “Jarod. How are you doing?”

“Doing okay, the murdering clone is gone for now,” Jarod said. “Lyle can run The Centre now?”

“Yes, in a few days most likely, but I believe Miss Parker herself is running it quite well,” Sydney said. “From her position, in two days, she has already refound the homes of fifteen Centre children that we could not find authentications for, but we found addresses for in connection to them. You should have all of that information via email if you wish to help.”

“Fifteen stolen will be returned?” Jarod asked.

“Yes,” Sydney said, “Also, she has helped me get rid of some of the worst scientists I haven’t been able to get out of The Centre. Especially Doctor Connors. He was literally guaranteeing that the children he was working with would end up permanently blind, and I could not get Mister Raines or Mister Parker or Mister Lyle to get him out of here because his previous work was academically important.”

“That’s good,” Jarod smiled. “No, that’s great!” He patted Sydney’s arm. “Great job, Sydney. You’re doing good. So is Miss Parker. But, this is The Centre.”

“I don’t believe she is working for long time employment,” Sydney said. “I don’t believe that’s in  her plan.”

“Yeah. If she’s doing this?” Jarod looked at Sydney. “Maybe I can get better than a ‘for now’ now? Do you think she’ll stay with me, permanently, Sydney?”

“No.”

Jarod was feeling much better, until he heard Broots behind him. He turned around and looked at him. “You don’t think she’ll stay?”

“Well, I mean, for her children, yes. Um. But.” Broots held his neck. “Jarod? Do you, um, have a crush on Miss Parker?”

Jarod chuckled. “A crush? She’s been chasing me for six years. I can barely tolerate her.”

“Are you sure? ‘Cause that was kind of heavy treatment just now,” Broots said.

“If I had a crush, I would never have set her up with Thomas Gates. I just want you to be careful of my kids,” Jarod said. “She’s carrying my family. I’m very particular about family. You know, considering The Centre stole them. And my childhood. It’s going to be a touchy subject with me.”

“She’s fine though. I mean, if I did have something with her?” Broots pointed out. “I think anyone would be gentle. Thomas too, right? He wouldn’t wait three months.”

Jarod rubbed his right eye. “Just. Extra precautious.”

“Jarod.”

Jarod turned to look at Sydney.

“You dragged Broots into a bathroom and pushed him against a wall, after flinging mashed potatoes at him.” Sydney stared at him. “Do you really think that excuse is going to work?”

Jarod looked between both of them. “I didn’t fling mashed potatoes at him, they just went in his general vicinity of where he was standing.”

“Okay,” Broots said, “but I was just going to say, you could get her, but not like that. I know how the focus works.”

Jarod grabbed him and brought him so close they almost bopped heads. “You know about the focus treatment?!”

“Yeah, I had to take my first one,” Broots said. “See, um, your poison ivy.”

Jarod raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“Well, I mean, you’re as annoying as poison ivy.” Jarod tightened his hold. “I mean, there’s gotta be an easier way to explain this? The treatment, not doing what it wants, causes intense stress. Only when she’s working on it does she feel relief. She won’t feel final relief until her focus is complete.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well. Her focus is capturing you. So. When you are captured by her, and her focus is completed, poof,” Broots said.

Jarod wagged his finger at him. “Nice try. Just keep your hands off of your so-called future bride.” He started to walk away and then turned around. “While she’s carrying my kids. I’ll be back soon for her.” Then he continued off out the door.

 

Broots approached Sydney. “Sydney?”

“Hm.” Sydney looked toward Broots.

“He’s got it bad for her, doesn’t he? Even though she’s been chasing him for six years? How’s that possible?”

 “Well. Jarod didn’t have much life experience, he was kept very isolated,” Sydney said. “All he knew of life was from his simulations, except for Miss Parker. So to him, the idea between dating and mating was hard to disassociate, and all he knew was that he very much liked Miss Parker.”

“Oh.” Broots eyes went wide and looked toward Sydney. “Are you saying?”

“After Mister Parker asked one day, if Jarod wouldn’t mind if someone dated Miss Parker, Jarod gave very instructional details of how he felt about that along with what he’d like to do with Miss Parker to Mister Parker. Everything from the activities of a date, to the more strenuous activities not involved in a date, but involved in the mind of a fourteen year old boy.”

“ . . . oh.”

“Yes. It didn’t end well, to be sure.” Sydney sighed. “It was almost a lifetime ago though, just children. Yet, it probably still dwells on his mind.”

“So, is he in love with her, or not?” Broots asked. “I really want to know.”

“It’s hard to say. He could be feeling the emotions of the past, and not the present. It has been some time, and I know Jarod has moved on with different women. He even has one that he’s seen more than once.”

“So, it’s not like that. Then why such anger?” Broots looked back at Sydney. “He mentioned Thomas Gates though. Miss Parker mentioned him too.”

“Yes, he’s still very much alive,” Sydney said. “I personally feel, Broots, as if Jarod may have been trying to get them back together.”

“Oh. Oh?”

“Jarod brought them together the first time. He may be trying for the same thing again.”

“Oh. Oh well, oh!” Broots felt offended by that. “Miss Parker said Thomas had family. Jarod said that to her. So, then what? What’s he so mad at me for?” His nostril flared. “You know what? I know what. He thinks I’m not good enough for her. Well, I am. I am plenty good enough for her.”

Sydney looked toward Broots. “Did you say you had your first dose of treatment, Broots?”

 

“I can make her happy too. I can. I could give him something real to worry about too, because I’m not the one reaching out Sydney. Oh no, no.” He walked away from the bathroom.