Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Lyle adjusted his tie as he waited calmly in yet another cage. He sighed. Like childhood again, all locked up.

“Been playing with quite an advanced chemistry set, haven’t you?”

Shit. “Hey there.” Lyle tried to play it cool as he heard Jarod’s voice. “Don’t suppose you want to just forget that whole thing, right? I mean, it didn’t work out for me or for you. It was kind of like a draw.”

“A draw? You mean, impregnating Miss Parker was a draw?”

“Well.” He shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders.

“Funny, Mister Lyle, how you seem to be sweating more. Some serious sweat for a ‘mistake’.”

“Oh. No, not that way,” Lyle said. “No, I mean, the babies? Yeah, no, I assumed you didn’t know and you’d be mad when you found out.”

“Lying is all over your face, Mister Lyle. I wouldn’t be risking being down here otherwise if I didn’t find out ‘Angelo was the real father’.”

Shit. Again. “Come on, can’t we all just let this go?” He asked Jarod. “Dad’s not too mad. Raines is gone. World’s a bit better for my sister now.”

“Yes. Curious. You’d think that touching his Angel would make him reign down a punishment fit for devils. Instead, you’re in a regular prison with your suit and tie, just standing around. Like you’re waiting for something.”

Damn, where was he at? “No, not really.”

“What do you know about the scrolls, Mister Lyle?”

“Not much. I mean I didn’t.” He gestured his arm around. “I mean. You’re names in there and . . . look, I didn’t know anything until Mister Parker came back. No matter how it may seem.”

“What did Mister Parker say was in there?”

Lyle rubbed his cheek. “Look, my thing was simple, I was just making new pretenders, I didn’t know anything really about the scrolls until Mister Parker shared some stuff. That’s it. I was just looking for something that made The Centre and The Triumvirate both happy. Both ruling officially over the scrolls. That’s it.”

“Hmph. And what about Miss Parker’s DSA case?”

“Poor her.” All fake compassion ripped out. “She gets pretty days seeing her mother and her paint and read. I get days of . . .”

“Well. I’d like to say I feel sorry for you too,” Jarod said from behind, now holding him by the throat. “But the fact that you killed my brother, and impregnated Miss Parker while locking her up in a cell leaves little room.”

“Oh. Yeah, I forget about that.” Mister Lyle tried to squirm. “Oh come on, it’s not like I killed her too. I can’t do that to my own sister. It’s just babies not bullets. You don’t even have to be responsible, no one will know.”

Why is Mister Parker saying she’s carrying Angelo’s twins? Tell me!”

“To protect her and his family,” Lyle said. “Geez, Jarod. For being smart you’re stupid sometimes.” He felt the squeeze tighten. “Okay, nevermind. I can explain better.” He lightened it a little more.  “Imagine when you were this cute and innocent pure little snowflake fourteen year old that you were suddenly thrown into the wilds of Africa, and actually outrunning lions or any wildlife would be your love of the day until it was time to go Simming. Boy. No Sims like there Sims. Two Sims per day for one meal. Four Sims for a decent big meal that we would consider average. Otherwise, you know, hunt your own food.”

What? “They would enclose me with what?”

“Yeah, but the Sim area, all stark white like The Centre. All decent. All calm. If you did nothing but Sims all day you’d eat like a normal guy and never have to worry about any perils.”

 

An animal. They would treat him like an animal, unless he was doing Sims. That’s why Miss Parker wouldn’t let him go, no matter what. “Miss Parker.”

“Saved your hyde,” Lyle said. “Still does, crazily. I think you’d be due for a little touch of reality.”

Horrible. “That’s not what I asked you,” Jarod said, knowing he was trying to get him off track.

Lyle groaned. “Angelo is on the bottom tier of Pretenders and available. You are tip-toppy and gone for six years. The Triumvirate have been wanting you for some time. Only reason is well. Well, reasons. Scroll crap. I don’t know.”

“That’s still not what I’m looking for, Lyle!”

“Fine, okay. When Mister Parker came back, he was afraid they might not like the deal of losing two potential pretenders that the ‘great Jarod’ brought them, but he wasn’t going to let ‘his precious Angel’,” he said in a mocking voice, “and his grandkids get pulled down. But, you don’t fight The Triumvirate. You can’t win. So, he did the best thing he could. He lied.” He shuffled his feet a bit trying to get comfortable as best he could with someone’s hands around his throat. “I choke a little, admit my ‘flaw’, and in about three months, I’ll be free. I’ll just have to watch my back a little more.”

“Yeah. Or you might be walking down a hallway, and come face to face with a lion.”

“Nothing gets the heart rate going quite like it.” He felt the pressure completely leave his throat. “Now, now.” Lyle quickly moved away more from the side, fixing his tie. ”Let’s not go overboard on your kids’ Uncle Lyle. Hey, you wanted family? Well, here we are.” He underestimated how far he was though, and felt Jarod grab his arm, with his missing finger.

“Some family members aren’t invited to the first family picnic,” Jarod said darkly, bending the arm back enough on Lyle to get an audible sound of pain from him. “Don’t push me.”

 

Miss Parker’s Home . . .

 

No more Pretending. Just, home. It felt strange though. Her father had replaced her entire clothing line with her mother’s styles from Paris, that fit her when she had twins. Everything else was gone. Even the light dresses that she had worn during the time she had been there with Raines for her belly.

She loved her daddy, but he was a control freak. Then again, so was she. She looked at her alcohol glass that usually had something much better inside, now containing only water. She was relaxing at night, trying to let the stress of the day settle away. Life was as close as back to normal as it was ever going to be.

Her phone rang, interrupting the sense of peace she was trying to find. “What.”

“How are you tonight?”

Really, Jarod? “You better be careful, you’ve still got Debbie and Gemini with you, and not all sweepers are delicate when they find and catch.” She expected some kind of rant. ‘How she could say something like that’ kind of thing.

“I’m more than careful. Heard the news,” he said dully. “Angelo, huh?”

“Hm.” She sighed. “Complete with wedding bells once it’s born. The Triumvirate wants to check it with a blood test, to make sure The Centre isn’t holding back.” She drank some of her water. “Then after that, reputation always has to be good. So, you are free and clear. Like always, you come out smelling like a rose, Jarod.”

“I had a little chat with Lyle myself,” he admitted on the phone.

“Uh huh.”

“I don’t think they have it right.”

She sighed. “Well, no one pays you for thinking. Unless they do. Get your first paycheck yet?”

“I know they don’t have it right.”

Not this. “Guess I’ll find out.”

“The Centre would forge the results they were expecting. Or The Triumvirate would forge the results The Centre was expecting,” Jarod said on the phone. “I don’t know which way it goes. The Triumvirate. The Centre. Words seem to slide off the tongue so easy, like they are the same. But they aren’t the same, are they? There’s a reason when the big Triumvirate dogs bark The Centre heels, isn’t there?”

“Really?” That was the way he wanted to stir the conversation? “Fine, Jarod, I’ll bite. I guess there is. Lions for one.” She took another drink of her water as she reclined on her couch. She thought he’d want to dwell more on the twins than that. Had Sydney been right that it was just the concept of losing more family to the Centre, more than wanting family?

“I think there’s more than that to it,” he said off of the phone, appearing right next to her couch. The pure shock of seeing him in her house, right there and then, made her lose her sense of focus! She quickly recovered, got off the couch and went for her nearest gun.

“Gone,” Jarod said. “All of them in the house right now.”

She wiped her forehead and looked toward him. “Are you here to drag me all the way back again? It’s not going to do any good,” she warned him. “I’ve got three months anyhow, and your family is just going to play kidnapper again, or The Centre is going to be after me. At least right now I get a three month reprieve from you making your move against them.”

 

Jarod approached her. “Sydney showed me something I’d never seen before.”

“Is that a fact?” She looked toward a window. “What, the Father’s Day card in crayon he’s been keeping stashed away for years?”

What? “He threw that away.” Sydney threw that away, when he was young. Right in front of him. “He said he never wanted to see anything like that from me again.” And he realized . . . she just slipped out. “Damn!”

Always an ace up the hole with her. He looked around, she couldn’t be far. Now his mind was divided between thinking about where she could be, and that event. That. Card. She had that ready, just in case he ever blocked her.

He heard a knock at the door. Damn. She had to come out of her hiding place to answer the door now, but now there would be people to help capture him. Normally, he’d take off for good, but that wasn’t going to happen this time. So, he planned on leaving a few minutes. Getting off the property was important, especially if there were sweepers, but he wasn’t going to stay gone forever.

They were talking. They were definitely going to talk.

 

“Miss Parker,” Sydney smiled at her from the door. “Your father wanted Angelo to visit you.”

She pulled the robe on her nightgown tighter, relief that he was there. Jarod wouldn’t stick around too close. Right after they leave, she should probably head to The Centre right away and figure out her next move. “Any idea what time it is?”

“Father’s orders,” Sydney said as he brought Angelo in. “He will have to live with you and not in The Centre soon.”

Miss Parker rubbed her eye. Cut the crap, Syd, you know this isn’t real.”

“What do you mean it isn’t real?”

“Daddy?” Oh no. She couldn’t complain about Jarod now, it would be her fault. “What are you doing here?”

“Showing Angelo the ropes to his new life.” Mister Parker patted Angelo’s shoulder. “But, what do you mean it isn’t real?”

“Uh. The. Events lately,” Miss Parker stumbled. “They don’t feel real.” Stumble. Slow. Ineffective. She never had good focus around him.

“Yes. It is all tough, isn’t it?” Mister Parker walked in with Angelo. “Lot different than how it began. Yet, it’s a blessing,” he smiled at her. “It’s a blessing it’s really not Jarod’s. The trouble and the pain he would cause to this family. No, no.” He looked toward Angelo. “This is much better.”

“We’re. Better,” Angelo smiled at her.

“Right,” Mister Parker said. “No home. No past. No glitched data. Uh, Sydney needs to go over some things with you. Expectations and such. Sydney?”

Sydney was looking to the right. He looked back and smiled. “Maybe another time would be better?” Sydney asked. “To go over all of this?”

“Over what?” Miss Parker asked. She looked toward her father and Sydney.

“Oh,” Sydney said, “I forgot that I had pressing issues to take care of.”

“Don’t worry, whatever the issue is, I won’t be mad if it’s a little late,” Mister Parker said. “This is for them. New family. Come on.”

Sydney approached slowly. “Considering you will be marrying Angelo soon, Your father thinks I should go over some basic facts with you on how to handle him.”

“Soon?” Miss Parker looked at her father. “Daddy, you said he was moving in after they were born? And marriage? How soon is soon?”

“Well, it’s gonna take time to get everything situated,” Mister Parker said wiggling his hand. “Be around four months or so.”

“Well, it should,” she said. “To make sure I’m not marrying him for no reason at all.”

“Stop it,” Mister Parker said firmly. “Angelo is the father of the children. Angel and um . . . you need to change the other name,” he insisted, making a shooshing motion. “Bad memories. Now, you let Jarod pick that, right? Well, let Angelo pick the name of the boy.”

“I. Name?” Angelo asked slowly. “I don’t know.”

“Don’t rush it, Angelo. No reason to rush. Anything right now.” Sydney was squirming around everywhere. Just what was going on with him?

“Nonsense, nonsense. The closer they are before the wedding, the better this will be. I know my daughter’s . . .” He cleared his throat. “Taste. Not the best all the time.”

Miss Parker looked away and then back at her father. “Taste?”

“In men. You need to stop running your life the way you have been,” Mister Parker warned her. “Find one man and stick to him.”

Miss Parker blinked slowly and took a moment to reply. “I did.” She was feeling herself break. “Remember?”

“Oh.” He touched his chin. “Oh yes, I forgot. That whole mess with Brigitte. Hm. Sorry. Um.”

“I know.” Not his focus. Her daddy wasn’t cruel, but Tommy was years ago and he wasn’t in her father’s focus. So, after time, he wouldn’t even think of him. It wasn’t cruel. Daddy was never cruel.

“Anyhow, now, it’s time to make that change. For good.” Mister Parker gestured toward Sydney. “Go ahead.”

Sydney approached Miss Parker with Angelo. “Mister Parker, I really feel as if it should be a little later-“

“Sydney, you know Parker’s don’t change their minds once they’ve started something. Besides, you are already here. After this, we will go back to The Centre.”

“Yes, Sir.” Sydney tried to smile. “Well, Miss Parker. With you marrying Angelo you’re going to have to become an expert on some things, and be lenient on others with him. Cooperation and patience is best for a relationship with him to blossom.” He scratched his neck. “He’s quite good in some areas, getting better in many, and in as little as a few years he may be fully . . . complete,” he settled with.

She used her best ‘you better not be doing what I’m thinking’ low, no-nonsense tone. “O-kay?”

“Good.” Sydney gestured for her to come toward Angelo. “Kiss him.”

She just stared at Sydney. “Cheek? Lips?”

“Kiss him as you would your husband,” Sydney said. “That is what he will be becoming.”

Greeeat. The empath. I make regular guys tingle, what will it do to him?  Well, she didn’t have a choice. She tried to kiss him lighter than Argyle, but felt a huge surge come from him. She had no idea what happened, as she felt a crush behind her head.

Sydney and Mister Parker helped pull him off.

“Relax, Angelo!” Sydney insisted. “I knew we should have started simpler.”

“We’ve got four months. We have to figure out the line,” Mister Parker muttered to him. He looked toward her like everything was fine. “Can’t just free reign it on the honeymoon. You okay, sweetheart?”

“Am I okay?” She pointed to her wall. “He thrusted me into a wall!”

“The sensory, he is still very empathic,” Sydney said, trying to calm her. “Having the sensation of being inside your mouth had an effect on him. He’s going to have to get more used to touching his wife in that way.” Sydney looked toward Angelo. “You must be more careful.”

Angelo nodded. “I. Uh.” He shrugged.

“We will work more on it,” Sydney said.

“But he learns lessons quicker, right?” Mister Parker said. “Try it again.”

Sydney just looked at him dumbfounded. “Sir? He just ran her head into a wall.”

“You can be more careful, can’t you?” Mister Parker smiled at Angelo. “Go on, try again.”

Sydney looked toward Miss Parker. “He . . . will be less likely to run your head back like that, but I don’t recommend it.”

Nice way of phrasing that Sydney. Why was her father demanding this? Unless. Oh no, he isn’t. The Triumvirate. No wonder it was after the birth. They wanted the honeymoon below their noses. No Centre involvement. “Daddy, where is our honeymoon?”

“It’ll be safe, we’ll teach him,” he said gruffly. “Teaching him now.”

“Daddy? Just answer,” she said. “Is it below the moon of the floating bed bridge of the Triumvirate?”

“Um.” He cleared his throat. “Beautiful out in South Africa honey, you know that. Best place for a honeymoon.”

He was doing it. He wouldn’t. He would. He’d have to? Me. Using me? Daddy uses everyone, but it’s for love. It’s always for love. Daddy? I don’t understand what the heck you’re doing. The floating bed bridge. The scenery was beautiful, in the dark. The bed was an actual bed, but much larger held with restraints. It could be rocked back and forth, or left to be still below the African moon.

It was an exclusive spot, only the Triumvirate could enjoy it’s beauty. Newlyweds, anniversaries, and special moment sharing between couples. It was too far above ground for anyone to see anything, and it was a joy the first time she got to see it.

As his daughter, she saw so many things. The reach of the Triumvirate, no other American girl would ever see that bridge. Along the top was woven natural binds of ivy, different assortments, filled with flowers. They ran along the base of the bed as well. The holdings were strong but didn’t ruin the view of the water below the bridge. It was made so that no one could fall, but could see the beauty of Africa all around them as they swung.

 It was like something out of a fairytale. She even told her father one day when she got married, she’d be sure to come there. Her father and mother had been there too several times. A special bridge.

But while that was true, every bridge also had a secret. As beautiful and sentimental as it was, every bridge has a top. It wasn’t until she was older that she realized it wasn’t just a romantic spot made from the heart.

It was business too. To make sure no one was trying to marry into the Triumvirate the wrong way, or when things like what she was doing right now occurred. Marriage real or not? From their view above the bridge, standing on the arc, they’d know.

She kept all the knowledge in though. She already knew what her father was planning, she just didn’t know how he was doing that to her. Daddy loves me, he’s always been fair. There’s a reason, there’s a heavy reason he wants us on the floating bed bridge.

“I don’t recommend this at all,” Sydney urged Mister Parker, still lifetimes away from understanding. “Angelo is an empath. It will take a great amount of-“

“Syd, we don’t have time.” Miss Parker pursed her lips looking off toward the corner. Daddy doesn’t let me down. Daddy only hides things when he needs too. “Daddy’s right, let’s do this. Just, move him more to the left, away from my stomach.”

Sydney stared at both of them incredulously. “You are pushing too fast.”

“Sydney, do as I say!” Mister Parker insisted.

Miss Parker edged up closer to Sydney and whispered into his ear for several seconds. “Sydney, I have to have sex with Angelo on our honeymoon, so figure it out.”

His face beamed red. “No, absolutely not!” He turned to Mister Parker. “You cannot expect that, that is at least two or three years away in his progress! If not even more!”

“Well, you are going to make it happen!” Mister Parker said. “The best you can. This is not a choice, Sydney, for anyone.”

 

Damn. They were still there? Jarod looked at his watch. He didn’t have the rest of his life for Blue Cove. Gemini and Debbie were at home with a hired babysitter. He said ‘business’ as the reason he was leaving. Which was true, but this business was starting to take awhile.

When he left for a short time, he went ahead and called the babysitter up, seeing if she’d watch overnight and maybe longer. He got an overnight, but not much longer. Although they could probably take care of themselves . . . he really preferred having someone watch over them who cared. He had a high paid but several years’ experience babysitter, and by his background check into her, was about the best one he could get.

Should I come back tomorrow? How long is this going to take? But then, all of that went out the window, when he heard Sydney yell.

“He cannot be ready! You could not literally want your daughter to go through with that.”

What? Jarod came up closer into the house. He kept out of view but looked into the room.

“Do what you can, Syd,” Miss Parker said. “Daddy’s never wrong. Don’t worry about me in the meantime.”

Sydney’s hands clenched tightly. “I know why you’re thinking that,” he said, “but this is wrong!”

“Sydney!” Miss Parker gripped her head. “Daddy, why did you lie?”

More lies. What is he lying about now? Jarod just watched the scene, trying to figure out why Sydney was so upset.

“They would have looked harder, Sweetie,” Mister Parker said. “It was all I could do.”

“Lie?” Sydney asked. “About Angelo being the father instead of Jarod?”

“No, damn, Syd.” Miss Parker took a deep breath. Lots of stress. Her body was super tense, even her voice. “Daddy’s going to try for me having an actual relationship with him,” she said. She looked toward him.

“Well, what was I supposed to do?” Mister Parker asked her. “Angel, they would immediately test it as soon as it was born! By the time we get through with resting their suspicions, we’ll have enough time to . . . cover up some facts.”

Mister Parker did know he was the father. Jarod shook his head. Of course the Triumvirate wouldn’t fall for it. But how was having it be a relationship supposed to rest their suspicions?

“The bridge.” Clearly, Sydney was starting to pull it together. “The floating bed bridge!”

The floating bed bridge? Jarod stuck his nose into The Centre many times, but there were still so many secrets he didn’t know. This floating bed bridge was definitely one of them. From Sydney’s appearance though, it couldn’t be a good one.

Sydney was an easy going individual. Disciplined but understanding. Getting him mad took some doing, but he was glaring at Mister Parker. Glaring.

 “Are The Triumvirates so powerful,” Sydney said, deeply and judgingly, “that you would put your daughter on that bridge, vulnerable and right in front of them?”

 “Do you think I like it any better?!” Mister Parker yelled back at Sydney. “If they find the truth my grandkids are done for and so is my daughter, to some . . . whoreish life of being in the Triumvirates cell! Breeding stupid Pretenders! And I’ll be dead,” he said with certainty. “Because I can’t let that happen to her.  Some son I have!”

“You could give her to Jarod. Find a way to communicate,” Sydney insisted. “I’m sure he’ll be coming soon for her.”

Jarod was still trying to put the puzzle together. Mister Parker didn’t just say it was Angelo’s bodily fluids, but Angelo was already in a relationship, and the baby happened beforehand? To avoid her fate. Wait a minute. Even Mister Parker didn’t have the power to pull his daughter from Africa? Lyle was right, he’s trying to save them.

“Calm down, seriously,” Miss Parker warned the both of them. “I’ve handled my share, I’ll be fine. Do I look like I’m on my first prom date?” She took control of the situation. “Come on, come on over here, Angelo.” She gently beckoned him to come. He smiled and sauntered over. “Hey there,” she smiled big and wide. “This?” She took his hands and rolled them over her tummy. “This is the babies. Don’t hurt the babies.”

“Don’t hurt the babies,” Angelo said.

“Good. Get on my left side. Alright?”

“Why?” Sydney asked Mister Parker. “Let her go.”

“His family will kill her. Already tried kidnapping her, Sydney!”

“There must be something!” Sydney demanded. “Miss Parker?”

“Sydney.” She licked her bottom lip tenderly. “The Triumvirate is not a dinner guest. And the way daddy’s acting, I know who he’s communicating with.”

“What about it.” A deep voice came from the front door.

Jarod tucked himself back further again. He could barely peak by the front door. Definitely someone from the Triumvirate.

Miss Parker and Mister Parker instantly stood to attention.

Jarod leaned in slightly again.

“Bhekumbuso,” Mister Parker said welcoming the man who came in. “I didn’t expect you for another hour. Um, please, welcome.”

“Bhekumbuso.” Jarod knew that name, but he’d never seen him in The Centre. He stayed in Africa, and never visited like Mutumbo. Even Adama was known to visit when things got tough.

 “I hear there was a . . . mix up?” Bhekumbuso came closer to Angelo. “You had a relationship with Miss Parker?”

“Yes, of course he did,” Mister Parker said as he rubbed his cheek. “Fine man, fine man.”

“Hmm.” Bhekumbuso looked toward Miss Parker. “Lovely bride to be, isn’t she?”

Miss Parker tried to smile. “Well, thank you very much, Bhekumbuso.”

That’s straining. She was better than average people when it came to Pretending, but even Jarod could see how hard it was to be nice to him.

“Very pretty. Very hard to see how this relationship would have worked.” Bhekumbuso looked toward Angelo. “With you, in the bowels of the Centre.”

“We worked together.” Miss Parker moved right next to him. “Catching Jarod, we bonded a few times until something sparked.”

“Sparked.” Angelo nodded.

“Hm. Sparked.” Bhekumbuso didn’t look so sure. “Mutumbo says it could be, Adama says it can’t, and I? I don’t know.” He looked between the two. “Kiss your bride.”

“I do not-”

“Syd, shut up.” Miss Parker scolded and then placed a happy smile back on herself.  “He is a little shy.”

“Yeah.” Angelo nodded toward him. “New to this.”

“New to the concept of marriage,” Miss Parker lied. “Who isn’t?”

Bhekumbuso was still watching.                                                                      

Jarod was still watching. Angelo. Empath. Kissing. This can’t be good!

Miss Parker came toward him, whispering something in his ear. Angelo nodded and followed her over to her bar. She placed herself in the back of it, and pulled him up the front to kiss him. It looked like it was a cute way to kiss, but it was actually to help keep her unborns safe if anything unforeseen should happen. There was more leverage room to get away.

And that was about as scientific as Jarod’s mind would get as he saw what was happening. Angelo’s kissing had turned primal. Not primal lust, that wasn’t Angelo. Everything he felt from her was building up and he was biting on her.

“Angelo, cease,” Sydney came over to him. “Quit. Quit!”

Miss Parker tried to hang on, but her mouth was starting to bleed through the biting.

A bad risk situation or not he couldn’t let it continue! “That’s enough, Angelo!”