Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The Centre was not his favorite place, but sometimes the secrets of it were not easy to reach except on Centre property himself. He didn’t mind that. Quite used to it by now, coming on and off the grounds. Jarod had found a small safe just on the outer hill of Sydney’s home. He placed in a simple combination. . 10-20-08.

It opened up revealing a DSA, and a phone. Setting up phones were tough, Jarod did it alone so that he could trust it. But, he would use it this one time to talk to Sydney. He walked away slightly to find a less conspicuous spot to call and to play the DSA.

“This is Sydney.”

“Sydney. Lovely place for a marriage after all.”

“Jarod.” Sydney’s breath sounded different. “How are you?”

“Right now, wondering why Mister Parker is trying to fake me out?” Jarod asked. “Oh, and of course, the DSA you so lovingly added to this little bouquet. What is it?”

“Something I wanted to show you as soon as I discovered it,” Sydney said. “Pipper and Papper had two DSA’s of Miss Parker’s that wasn’t picked up. One of them were therapy treatments. Very . . . revealing. However, the second. You hold it in your hand. It contains your life, Jarod, something that you need to see.”

“Wait,” Jarod said. “My life? But, wha-“ The twins? “What’s this have to do with the twins?”

“Oh. Nothing. I was there for the reveal from Lyle,” Sydney said. “While it could be the truth, it seemed like it was a desperate move when Mister Parker threatened his life to know everything. Saying ‘I lied’ is an easier way to slip out of it.”

Jarod took a deep breath. “What do you think?”

“I think that Mister Parker, if he saw the scrolls, may or may not be doing this on purpose, Jarod. I can’t guarantee anything. The whole lab could have been a setup, or not.”

“Oh.” Jarod swallowed hard. “I thought you’d have something more concrete about that, Sydney. Came from a long distance, left two kids with a babysitter, all for one DSA and a ‘it might be wrong or right’?” He didn’t want to hear that. “Is it wrong or is it right? Is it a trick, or not, Sydney?!”

“I don’t know, Jarod. I am sure we can run a blood test after they are born to know the truth.”

“That’s not good enough.” Jarod felt his heart beating hard. “Sydney. I.” He let out a deep breath. “Angel and Onyssius. I was . . .”

“You have grown used to the thought of having them. After such a long time with a strong belief, I understand that. I wish I had something better for you. I have to say that The Triumvirate lies as much as Mister Lyle. It is not easy to know the whole truth.”

“Well, I guess I’m just going to have to pay a visit to Mister Lyle myself,” Jarod said with conviction.

“Jarod. That is not why you are out there. The DSA. Play it.”

“My life, huh?” Jarod asked. “Parts of me eating with you while Miss Parker was chased by lions in there?”

“Eh, what?”

“Nevermind.” Jarod pulled out his DSA player. “How long is it?”

“I believe the time span you are interested in is six hours, but it does not follow . . . off Centre property. Good luck with this one, Jarod. After I found it, I didn’t have the heart to contact you or anyone for a little while. I’m sorry.”

“Okay.” Jarod didn’t know what for yet. He hung up the phone and pulled out the DSA. The dates were labeled right before the end of his visits with Miss Parker. One day, she just stopped visiting, left for awhile, and visited twice more. Visited in the most viscious of ways, their friendship was quickly terminated.

As he moved on though, he watched the date. They . . . increased. They increased past the last dates of her being ‘nice’. Dates he didn’t have. A date between he didn’t have at all. And that would probably be where to start.

 

Start DSA

 

Miss Parker moved her way through the Centre with some kind of large open brown purse. She didn’t stop until she reached Jarod’s door. Slipping the key in, she went inside. “Jarod?” It was lights out. “Jarod?”

Young Jarod rubbed his eyes and got up out of bed. “Miss Parker?”

“Hi,” she whispered. “I need you to do something for me.”

“Oh.” Young Jarod winced more. “Sydney said I can’t see you anymore. You’ve . . . changed.”

“Not really,” she admitted. “My daddy wants people to think I’m meaner for reputation reasons.  Rumors, and I have to act a little different too for him. But, I’m still me.”

“Oh. Well, that’s good,” Jarod smiled. “Did you want me to search for something again?”

“No,” she said. “I want you to come with me. Off Centre property. Just for a little while?” she asked. 

“From here?” Jarod’s voice trembled. “I-I don’t know, Miss Parker. The Centre, if it found out-“

“I really, really want you to come?” she asked. “Please?”

Jarod rubbed his ear. “Well. I can try, Miss Parker, if it’s that important to you.”

“It is. I need to see something for myself.” She took his hand. “This way. Our first trip is to the bathroom.”

“Bathroom?” Jarod asked. “Why?”

“To dye your hair and get you dressed, Jarod. After that, leave the rest up to me if anyone tries to stop us.” She had taken him into the girl’s bathroom and into a stall. The camera couldn’t see beyond that, but when they emerged, it was clear she tried to dye his hair.

Pause DSA

 

Jarod smiled. He didn’t remember any of it, but he looked goofy. Too dark for that.

Start DSA

“Sorry, it didn’t exactly turn out right,” Young Miss Parker said as she quickly combed his dark with tints of blonde hair. “Call it highlights. It’s different enough.”

“Can I see?” Young Jarod asked excitedly. He moved to the mirror and moved his head around. “It’s . . . different. I like it.”

“I know, it’s not the best. Trust me, it’ll work. It’ll fit the image.” She reached in her bag. “Here, put these on.” This time, he went into a stall alone while Miss Parker played lookout.

When he emerged he had on denim jeans and a tie-dye shirt. “I don’t think Sydney would ever wear this.” He pulled at the shirt. “This doesn’t look like me at all.”

“Duh, that’s why you’re wearing it, Jarod. Come on.” She took his regular white clothes and put them in the bag again. She slipped it over her shoulder and grabbed his hand. “Remember, if anyone tries to talk to us, just stand there and don’t say anything. I’ll handle it.”

Unnerving. Both of them walked out into the open late-night area of the first floor. Miss Parker kept her eyes straight, while Jarod tried to feed off of her movements.

“Hey, what the hell?” Someone stopped them. “Miss Parker, what-“

“Get off of my back!” Miss Parker shouted at The Centre employee. “This is my boy, and I am showing him where I work. Daddy said I could show him the upper level.”

“Are you insane?” The employee was not convinced. “Why?”

“Why? Because I said so, that’s why!” Miss Parker shouted pushing the employee. “Daddy doesn’t like being bugged for small things, he gets really mad about it, so if you call, your job is on the line! Now, excuse me.” She grabbed Jarod’s hand quicker. “Daddy said displaying power is the Parker way, so he’s gonna learn from the start who controls this relationship.”

Pause DSA

Miss Parker. Easily, he could see the Parker of today right in there. He certainly would have remembered that. They made it out of the building with no more incident.

Start DSA

The front cameras had Jarod blinking and looking around on the front steps.

“I’m outside,” he whispered. “We’re outside.”

“Yep,” she said. “Come on. Let’s go to the left and wait just a little while so no one sees us, then we’re sneaking into my daddy’s car. Come on.”

“What?” Jarod was starting to trip out as they walked along the grounds outside. “M-mister Parker’s vehicle?”

“Yes, then we’re sneaking out,” she said. “I already did it once today. He doesn’t even know I’m at The Centre.” She smiled. “Come on, Jarod, I’ll show you the way.”

“But. But.”

“Come on.” She grabbed his hand. “Don’t you want to see the fair?”

“Fair? Equal?” Jarod asked.

“No. Cotton candy. Ice cream,” she insisted. “Rides. Other kids. Bright lights,” she smiled. “Come on, Jarod, it’ll be fun.”

“Outside.” Jarod smiled. “Outside!” His face was brimming with excitement. “But, you said you wanted me to do something for you?”

“You are,” she said. “I need a real friend right now. I need a real break from The Centre. It’s . . . tough,” she settled on.

Pause DSA

Getting chased by a lion than having your bones broken, laying there overnight. “Yeah. Tough was the word.” But did she really pull it off?

 

Start DSA

She held his hand. “Follow me.” They went from camera to camera. “The fair isn’t always here in Blue Cove, Jarod. I want to go. I need to go. As you can see from how I have to act inside, I kind of need a break from it all. And, I wanted you there too, to see something.”

“See what, Miss Parker?”

“I was told something special, about you Pretenders,” she said. “I just don’t believe it though.  I saw it, but then everything was okay. I think. There was a crack last time, so it can't be bad. You. I think. I mean. Nevermind, you wouldn't understand.” She stopped right outside her daddy’s car. “I think this should be the beginning of getting  out. We’re too young, at fourteen, we can’t stay out of The Centre. There’d be no food or shelter. But when we got older, when I get a job and start getting paid . . . maybe, we could permanently leave together?”

Pause DSA

Jarod’s eyes were transfixed on the screen, his whole body leaning in. She was not only getting him out. She was promising freedom. With her. Leaving The Centre.Together. He was more than old enough by the time he escaped by himself that he didn’t have the problem their fourteen year old selves faced. He could get a job, fake a job, fake a career. Being fourteen, it would be tougher. Several days without a home. Leaving Miss Parker out on the streets, barely making ends meet until he figured out a different solution.

Start DSA

“The Centre?” Jarod asked. “For good? When we got older?”

“I’ve already started training,” Miss Parker said. “I’ll be able to get my first job when I turn 16 beside it. I won’t make lots, but if I save really hard, and with your skill-“

“I could do it, Miss Parker!” Jarod said with certainty. “I could do it. Two of us, with jobs, limited food, limited housing. It would be tough, but doable. Then, we could move up in society, as we get older.” He smiled. “The real world. Out there!”

“Okay, Jarod, hang on. Daddy’s car is right over there,” Miss Parker said. “Let’s go.”

 

Gone. Many hours passed that weren’t accounted for before Miss Parker entered the property again. Jarod stared. She was in front of Jarod, but something was different.

“In here, officer.” She opened the front doors to The Centre. She went slowly up and pushed the doors open to her father’s office. “Daddy?”

“Daddy’s working late sweetie.” Mister Parker said. “That’s why-hey!” His anger unfurled. “I didn’t bring you to The Centre today!”

“I’m . . .” She moved into the room. Jarod followed behind her.

“Is this him?” Jarod asked her.

“Yes, officer.” Her voice was low and shaky as her father’s eyes were about to boil over. “This is the man.”

Jarod stood up straight. “I have a citizen’s complaint that you have been keeping people here against their will, Sir? Is this true?” He reached around himself and then looked toward Miss Parker. “Ma’am? Did you steal my handcuffs?”

What followed was a lot of berating and crying between Miss Parker and Mister Parker as Jarod simply investigated the office.

“Don’t touch behind that office chair!” Mister Parker went off on him. He picked up his phone. “I need Sydney! Now!” He slammed the phone down. “How long has he been like this?!”

“I don’t . . .” She was backing up. “Three . . . hours?”

“Three hours?!”

“I thought I could snap him out of it daddy. Last time I saw it, he snapped out of it, but I had to get him back, and I didn’t have-“

“Well, you can’t!”

Pause DSA

It’s. not. It couldn’t be. Jarod watched himself. He fully believed, without a doubt, in any way, that he was a police officer of the law. Despite how he even looked on the outside. He was lost in the Pretend. Why was he even pretending to be an officer, how did he get caught up in that?

Start DSA

“Daddy?” Miss Parker cried. “Can you help, Jarod?”

 

“Maybe,” he muttered. “Maybe! Jarod is a very, very special Pretender! Our highest of all of them, young lady. What were you doing even seeing him? No, no, I don’t want to know.” He grabbed his head. “I may have to send him to The Triumvirates.”

“Huh? No.” Her eyes went wide and for a moment, she couldn’t seem to talk. “No. No, no, no! She begged. “I’m so sorry, I promise, anything, please! Not The Triumvirate, please! ”

“Anything?” He breathed hard. “You will work harder in your training.” She nodded. “You will become the top of your class for The Centre, and no more goofing around!”

“I promise,” she said. “It’s not his fault, not The Triumvirate, please daddy!”

“And if we can get him back, if-“ he breathed, “you will not see him again unless I otherwise command it. Is that clear?”

“Yes, daddy.”

“And if he ever escapes from The Centre in the future, you will use everything you know to help bring him back! Any Pretender, from now on! Now that you’ve seen it. Now that you’ve sown this in him,” he growled. “They are not normal. They can’t run normal lives under so much stimulation.”

She nodded her head. “I’ll. I promise. If any of them leave, I’ll bring them back safely to The Centre. No matter what.” She tried to hold it together. “I won’t do anything else bad again, daddy. Just don’t punish Jarod.”

“Hm.” He looked at her. “You will be the top here, Angel.”

She nodded.

“If you care about that boy, and you don’t want him sent to the darkest parts of Africa, you’ll learn everything you can about Pretenders.”

She nodded. “Anything, anything, anything! I promise, daddy, just save Jarod. I’ll do all the treatments! I’ll work extra hard! It wasn’t his fault! It wasn’t his fault! Not The Triumvirate!”

“Fine,” her father agreed. “We’ll see if Sydney can help him.”

Several minutes later, Sydney came rushing into the room. “Jarod? Jarod!”

“Sir, unhand me. Challenging an officer is a serious offense,” Young  Jarod said.

 

Sydney worked with Jarod for half an hour before starting to make progress. Miss Parker stood in the corner of the room. “Now, do you know who I am?” Sydney asked. “Who am I, Jarod?”

Jarod sighed. “Sydney?”

“Yes. Yes!” Sydney hugged him. Sydney actually hugged him? “Oh, thank goodness, Jarod! Never again, don’t ever do this again!” He stood up and looked toward Mister Parker. “Jarod will be alright, sir. I will have to work with him, privately, for some time. I do not suggest any Sims, so that I may establish a connection for at least . .  . four weeks.”

“That’ll put us behind, but it’s better than the alternative.” Mister Parker’s eyes fell to Miss Parker. “Like losing him altogether!” He slammed his fist down on his table. “And you! You! What were you thinking?!”

“I’m sorry!” Miss Parker cried, her body shaking, unconsolable. “I really am, daddy, I just wanted-!”

“He is not a regular boy!” Mister Parker yelled at her. “Sydney. Please. Your expertise on my daughter.”

Sydney approached her. “Miss. Parker.” His voice was no-nonsense. “Jarod’s sense of self was almost entirely lost today. You, are the sole reason behind that!” he yelled. “He could have had his mind trapped in that state forever!”

“I’m . . .” She couldn’t even say it anymore. “Never again, I promise. I’ll never let him leave again.” She looked toward Jarod. “I’m sorry.”

“Jarod is . . .  pure,” Sydney settled on. “He does not have anything to do with the outside world.” He pulled at the shirt he wore. “This is not him. You almost destroyed him.”

Then, Raines came through the door without a single knock. “What is it that I heard happen to a Pretender?” He glared at Miss Parker. “Didn’t you learn your lesson last time with the handcuffs?!”

“It’s fine,” Mister Parker said. “Sydney’s working with him back.”

“I suggest it may not be fine.” Raines gritted his teeth at Miss Parker. “If they find out, they will demand him. We should send him to The Triumvirate.”

“No! No, I agreed to everything!” Miss Parker yelled, turning toward her daddy.

“Don’t raise your voice to Raines!” Mister Parker came from around his office desk. “I have her allegiance, Raines. As long as this never happens again, they don’t even need to know about it.” He looked back toward her, disappointed. “An officer. Why was he stuck as an officer?”

She looked toward the ground. “He . . .” She went silent.

“Hrm?” Mister Parker asked again. “I asked, what was he doing pretending to be an officer?” She still didn’t say anything. No pleading. No begging. Not a word.

“Miss Parker, answer your father!” Raines demanded.

Miss Parker trembled. “I don’t know,” she confessed. “He was happy, eating cotton candy for the first time, and it just happened.” She ducked her head down as she heard more shouting. “I’m sorry!”

“You ought to be!” Even Sydney was getting into it. “That was too much for Jarod!” He looked toward Mister Parker. “I will never condone letting him go to The Triumvirate though. I do not know enough about them to feel secure with that decision.”

“That decision is not yours,” Mister Parker said. “It’s my daughters.” He looked toward Miss Parker. “She will be the finest she can be. The best Parker of them all. Or he’ll go, for a one way trip.”

“Best, daddy,” she insisted. “Best.”

“Today, you traded your life for his,” Raines said to her. “The Triumvirate will carve his mind up like nothing you’ve ever seen. The Centre is a frosty fudge swirled sundae compared to what they do. Have you seen their Pretenders?”

“Yes, she has,” Mister Parker answered for her. “And you don’t want him to go there, do you?”

“No.” She stood up straight. “Never.”

“Then behave, and he can stay.”

“I.” Sydney gestured to Miss Parker. “Wait. Jarod . . . I don’t know anything about The Triumvirates, Sir.”

“Yes,” Raines said. “Consider yourself lucky.”

“No. I can’t.” Sydney gestured toward Jarod. “If she messes up, he goes? That’s not a deal I’m comfortable with! Children mess up!”

“I won’t,” Miss Parker said firmly. “I’m not an ordinary child either,” she said to Sydney. “I know what they do. I promise. I won’t mess up again, Sir.”

“Miss Parker, your father is stressing a deal you are not prepared for,” Sydney said looking toward Mister Parker. “Jarod will be fine.”

“No,” Mister Parker said again. “It’s all on my Angel.” He looked toward Miss Parker. “You have to be his Angel, or he’s bound to somewhere worse than hell. The Triumvirate. Discussion is done.”

“But, Sir!” Sydney protested.

“Done!” Mister Parker yelled harder. “Take Jarod. Work with him. No Sims for a month. Go.”

Sydney grabbed Jarod’s hand and led him out of the office.

“Raines,” Mister Parker muttered. “You know what to do. I don’t want that challenge again.”

“Yes, sir. I will make sure in a month Sydney doesn’t remember this, nor Jarod.”

“Wipe Jarod’s DSA’s too. Mm. Duplicate some tedious times between so it doesn’t look too suspicious.”

“Of course.” Raines left the room.

Miss Parker and Mister Parker stood alone.

“You won’t speak to Sydney about this deal,” Mister Parker said. “In fact, I don’t want you talking to him for many years. Certainly not Jarod. No, wait.” He gestured toward his daughter. “I do.”

Miss Parker looked toward him, trying to meet his gaze. “Daddy?”

“You are his enemy from now on. When you see him, you will act like you hate him. Like he’s not good enough to you. Underneath you.”

“I.” She hesitated only a moment. “Yes, Sir. Never again. I won’t befriend the Pretender again.”

 

 

End of DSA