Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

NNL 1800 hrs. February 5

Olga peered through the microscope at a routine blood sample. The Russian scientist had been nervous and impatient all day waiting. She looked forward to meeting Dr. Jarod Seaborg. His dossier read like a scientist's dream book. It didn't hurt that his photograph showed a man with dark, intelligent eyes and a warm smile to go along with his hawkish good looks.

Beep!! Beep!! Beep!! The Russian scientist jumped as her beeper went off, Dr. Seaborg had arrived. Olga pulled off her lab coat, checked her appearance in the stainless steel paper towel dispenser and made her way to Director Bradley Talmadge's office. She saw Dr. Ballard rolling in from the hangar.

“Hello, don't you look lovely.” Ballard complimented Olga as she opened the door for him.

“Thank you, Dr. Ballard.” She blushed slightly. Olga smoothed the navy blue skirt and pale blue twinset she wore. It wasn't every day she met such an esteemed man of science.

“Oh, Dr. Seaborg, this is Dr. Olga Vukavitch and Dr. John Ballard.” The tall doctor shook hands with each of them in turn. Upon hearing Olga's accent, Jarod greeted her in fluent Russian. She saw Frank's face turn red. It wouldn't have surprised her to see smoke coming out of his ears.

“What brings you here, Dr. Seaborg?” Dr. Ballard asked point blank. He hoped he wouldn't have to play second fiddle to anyone.

“Dr. Seaborg has a proposal that may extend the number of days we can back step without using additional fuel.” Talmadge answered for Jarod.

“Hopefully we can allow more time to pull information to send back with your chrononaut.” Jarod saw the narrow, suspicious gaze Frank held on him.

“Wow! That is an exciting prospect.” Olga marveled. It launched a very technical conversation about Project Backstep. Everyone except Frank, Donovan, and Ramsey were active talkers.

“Come on, Donovan, let's go catch the rest of the game, I've got a twenty riding on the Bulls.” Frank spoke low so as not to draw attention.

“If you'll excuse me everyone, I'll show Dr. Seaborg to the visitor's quarters, I'm sure he's tired after a long flight.” Talmadge spoke to let the poor fellow breathe. Jarod waved goodbye as he followed Bradley Talmadge out of the office. Director Talmadge led Jarod down the cement walled corridor to the guest quarters. Workers, both military and civilian, moved along the narrow confines. They were several levels below ground by the dry, filtered quality of the air Jarod inhaled. The scent was all too familiar from Jarod's Centre days.

“This base was more difficult to get into than Fort Knox.” Jarod commented, trying to make conversation.

“Ah, yes, we have the latest, most sophisticated security, Nathan Ramsey sees to that.” Talmadge answered as he came to a door at the end of one of the dozen or so corridors at that level. “We'll have a meeting in the morning, eight, sharp.” Bradley left the scientist to settle himself in. Jarod was glad to be alone for the time being. He wanted to review all the information about NNL, Backstep and those who worked there.

Scene Break

The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware February 3

“Broots, are we any closer to taking off?” Miss Parker demanded to know. She paced Sydney's office like a tiger in a cage. Broots swallowed hard before answering.

“No, Miss Parker, they say it will be another six hours.” He braced for impact.

“You moron, can't we drive out? There has to be a way out of Blue Cove.” Miss Parker's voice rose.

“There's a second front just coming in from the north, I haven't even been home to see Debbie.” The mention of Broots' little girl made Parker calm down- just a little. She continued to pace the office, her manicured hands balled into fists. “On the positive side, I have managed to identify the place the photo was taken, Nevada, near an Air Force base.” Broots informed her.

“What in the world is the Centre doing playing with aliens?” Parker pondered.

“Jarod must have reverse engineered some of the alien technology found near the crash.” Broots offered.

“I knew those characters weren't any kind of Russian I had ever seen.” Sydney chimed in. Miss Parker just shook her head. It was par for the course at the Centre. Frustrated, Parker left the room without saying a word. Both men breathed a little easier in her absence.

Scene Break