Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

  “Hello,” Came a male voice to Miss Parker's left, “Have they started a mind-meld yet?” Frank asked, casually leaning against a work bench. Miss Parker let an amused smile pull at her lips as she looked at Frank from the corner of her eye.

“No, but I think they're discussing Captain Kirk in Klingon.” Frank chuckled, glad not to be the only one with a normal IQ, besides Ramsey.

“So, when I get back to the past, can I call you for dinner or something?” The chrononaut asked without preamble. Neither of them looked at the other.

“Mmm, Flyboy, I don't think so, I won't remember how charming you are, besides, I don't think a long distance relationship would work out between us.” It had been a long time since anyone had shown an interest in Miss Parker, she'd almost forgotten what it felt like to be flattered.

“Ah, but I am unforgettable, and you can always find me here when you're in town.” He tried again. Miss Parker turned to look Frank in the eye. He had a devilish smirk on his face and a hopeful glint in his dark eyes. The chrononaut was charming and attractive.

“Sounds inviting, too bad I won't remember any of it.” The Centre operative pointed out.

“I knew I should have made love to you sooner.” Frank teased.

“In your dreams, Flyboy.” Her laughter sounded like a bell, heard from far away.

“Oh, and what dreams too.” Frank added. It was Jarod's turn to feel over protective and jealous. He turned when he heard someone say his name, internalizing the unfamiliar emotions and saving them for later analysis.

“Jarod.” The voice came again, this time from somewhere closer. Turning, he saw a familiar face to go with the voice.

“Major!” Jarod stopped short of calling out his father's name. The major gave him a warning look, his heart beating a million miles an hour with fear and joy.

“Jarod, I believe you've met Major Chuck Greenfelt.” Nathan Ramsey introduced the older, military man to Jarod; irritable at having to follow NSA Panel orders about visitors.

“Yes, I believe we met on another project.” Jarod shook hands with his undercover father. Major Charles looked exactly like the age progression images he'd worked on, except for the fake mustache he wore.

“The NSA sent Major Greenfelt as kind of a watch dog on this launch.” Ramsey talked as if he didn't like the taste of his words.

“I'd like to speak to Jarod in private.” The major ordered. Before Ramsey could form a protest Jarod and the major walked back through the hangar towards the offices wing.

“It's been too long, Dad.” Jarod whispered.

“A lifetime, Son, a lifetime.” Major Charles lamented. Ramsey broke his neck trying to catch up to Jarod and the major. MP's kept up just fine, M4's at the ready.

“Feel free to use my office, Maj. Greenfelt.” Ramsey huffed and puffed just behind them.

“Thank you, Mr. Ramsey, much obliged.” Maj Greenfelt closed the door in Ramsey's face.

“Dad, how did you get in?” Jarod asked, knowing how difficult it had been for him to manage.

“I called in a few favors and pulled a few strings, it is good to see you.” The major wanted to sit and talk to his son. Circumstances robbed him of that luxury.

“It's good to see you too, Dad.” Jarod could barely contain his joy.

“I came to help you escape, Son.” Major Charles turned to the task at hand.

“No, Dad, I have to finish working on the Sphere, Frank Parker has to prevent the Dark Moon Group's attacks.” The Pretender felt conflicted. If he let Frank back step he'd never have gotten to see his father. Without a back step thousands of people died. Major Charles saw the dilemma in his son's eyes.

“Alright, but I'm staying until the last second.” The younger man only smiled. Jarod and his father stole a few more minutes away from the world.

Scene Break

FLASHBACK NNL Hangar November 14, 1970 0600 hrs

NNL's PX supplied the base with the ordinary supplies; meal, flour and rice to name a few. Dr. Mentnor sat outside the military staple in his Impala. His wife had frowned at him when he left after being home only six hours. Isaac looked into the lovely eyes he'd fallen in love with and wondered how much longer she could pay the price for his career. When she buried her face in his chest and wrapped her arms around him, Isaac knew it would be a while longer.

Coffee tasted bland, the workaholic had drank so much of it lately. Mentnor was glad to dash it when he saw Maj. Charles strolling across the parking lot in street clothes.

“Good morning, Dr. Mentnor, I trust you slept well a few hours this morning?” The Major slid into the late model Impala easily.

“A few hours, yes.” Isaac yawned as if on cue. “Your phone call was vague to say the least.” Major Charles smiled like Wonderland's Cheshire cat.

“The prisoners were questioned last night and they're scheduled for release later today. I have to escort them home. Call for Sgt. Malloy to pick up the child for whatever you can think of, he'll bring the child to me and the prisoners can keep it while Malloy and I report for my 'transfer', effective tomorrow.” Major Charles laid the plan out in a rapid fire fashion. He'd obviously thought about it all during the night. For Mentnor it was like a sudden gust of wind, peeling his tin roof back. He asked a dozen questions before feeling at all comfortable about the Major's strategy. Isaac couldn't improve on Maj. Charles' plan, so he decided to go along with it. Even armed with resolve, moral conviction and resignation to his purpose, he felt a knot in his stomach.

Dr. Mentnor wished Maj Charles the best of luck and both men headed in opposite directions. There were a lot of things to do before baby Frank could be taken off base. It had to be business as usual while the preparations were being made. The health and hope of a young life depended on them.

Scene Break

FLASHBACK NNL Holding Cell November 14, 1970 1400 hrs

“Bobby, what are you gonna tell your folks when we get out of here?” Cheryl asked from the other side of the partition separating their cells. Neither of the teenagers had slept much since the MP's had taken them into custody. They sat in battleship gray cells somewhere underground.

“I don't know yet, Cheryl, but I don't wanna go home, I'd rather face enemy Vietnamese than my mom and dad.” The young man tried to joke but his voice sounded flat and tired instead.

“Yeah, I know what you mean.” Cheryl sighed. Her parents kept her on a short leash, afraid of losing her to the youth culture they couldn't understand. Nothing about Cheryl's generation reminded them of the conservative era they grew up in after World War Two.

Both young people rushed to the cell bars when they heard the key turn in the heavy, metal door at the end of the hall. Confidently the MP who had been so kind to them the night before, strolled in. He brought two Hershey bars and two cups of coffee with him.

“Good afternoon, I brought you both an afternoon snack before we release you.” Major Charles gave Cheryl her chocolate bar first, showing her a napkin with a message on it. Her eyes went wide in surprise. Long, brown braids framed her heart shaped face.

Play along, I have a favor to ask of the two of you. We can talk after we've left the base.

Cheryl nodded, amazed at the Major and wondering what unimaginable thing would happen next.

“Hey! Mister,” Bobby called out as the Major turned to go. Major Charles silenced him with a menacing glare. “Uh, how long til we get to go home?” The young man finished, thinking quickly.

“An hour or so, we have to fill out some paperwork.” Major Charles grinned and flashed a thumbs up.

Scene Break

Mentnor's Office November 14, 1970

The good doctor picked up his ringing phone on the second ring. Major Charles' cherry voice told told him to get the child ready. After hanging up, Isaac called for Sgt. Malloy to pick up the baby and bring him to his office. Twenty minutes later baby Frank arrived, his supplies stored in a military issue knapsack. Mentnor almost laughed at the sight of diapers and formula in the ugly, green canvas.

“God's speed, Frank, may you have the life you deserve.” Mentnor chuckled the small infant under the chin. A pair of dark, hopeful eyes met his, smiling. “Do you know where you're to meet the Major?” Isaac asked, examining the fair complected sergeant.

“Yes, Sir.” Malloy nodded his tow head. He had a steady, serious way about him. Mentnor knew he could be trusted.

Outside the Hangar

Major Charles drove the staff car as close to the block building as he could and still open the doors. An MP escorted Cheryl and Bobby out without a word. The Major distracted the MP while Malloy slipped the baby into the back seat with the teenagers. The sergeant ordered the green private out of Bobby's truck. The strange procession drove off base without a breath of suspicion.

“A baby!” Bobby exclaimed, uttering a few words an older child shouldn't hear. Cheryl shushed him, not wanting to frighten the three month old.

“I'm sure the Major will explain as soon as he can.” She pointed to the glass separating the driver from the rear passenger area. Neither teenager spoke, they watched the sleeping, baby boy.

“He sure is cute.” Bobby whispered after a long silence. Cheryl nodded, a hopeful smile making her eyes twinkle.

“Looks like we're pulling over.” Cheryl observed, trying to keep the baby balanced. The Nevada desert stretched out in all directions as Bobby stepped out of the dark colored staff car. Sunshine made everything warm to the touch. Dust scattered as the breeze disturbed an old, Chevron filling station sign. Two Model T's sat off to the side of the art deco station, long abandoned to tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes.

“Home away from home.” Major Charles grinned as he stretched his arms out.

“What is all this, man, where are we?” Bobby demanded, rounding the end of the car. Sgt. Malloy pulled the Chevy pickup in behind the major.

“You are at what used to be a Chevron station before the Air Force base bought it out.” He showed them the 'NO TRESSPASSING' sign on the diner's front window.

“Well, why are we here, and what's with this baby?” Cheryl reiterated her boyfriend's question.

“The US government is involved in covert projects that would make you sick to hear.” Major Charles pulled a well worn photo from his breast pocket and handed it to Bobby. “For one of these projects they took that little fella from his parents, and those two boys were stolen from me for another project. I'm asking you to help me give that baby boy my sons will never have- freedom. In Philadelphia, an old friend of mine runs an orphanage. Help me take him there.” A sad dullness crept into Major Charles' usually cheerful voice. Cheryl looked up into Bobby's face, nodding, determined to go through with it.

“This is crazy.” Bobby uttered. To him it didn't seem possible, probable or believable. It confounded all manner of logic.

“What we saw the other night is crazy too, Bobby.” Cheryl's soft voice echoed through all the clutter in his brain. He shrugged and began to laugh.

“Why not, my ole man's gonna blow his stack no matter how long I'm gone, might as well give him something real good to blow it over.”

Four Hours Later....

“Dr. Mentnor, good afternoon.” A cheerful, familiar voice startled the scientist as he walked into his office.

“My word, Major Charles, you nearly gave me a heart attack.” Isaac whirled around to see the slim, athletic, military man seated to the right of the door.

“My apologies, I just came to say my good-byes.” Mentnor flipped on the office lights.

“Ah, yes, you mentioned a transfer.” The whole matter was coming to a close, which relieved and scared Isaac. Now was not the time for something to go wrong. It must have shown in the man's pale eyes.

“Don't worry, none of this will lead back to you, Dr. Mentnor. You'll never hear from me again.” The major smiled enigmatically. He knew how to play his cards. Easily, the Major stood up to leave.

“Let me wish you the best of luck trying to find your sons, Major Charles.” Hope bloomed eternal, Mentnor could see it in his eyes.

“Thank you, Dr. Mentnor, I need all the luck I can get.” The Major shook hands with the scientist. It would be nearly thirty years before the two men would meet again.

Scene Break