Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Flashback NNL November 13, 1970 2200 hrs

Two teenagers sat on the tailgate off an older, Chevy truck passing a beer back and forth. A million stars spread out before them over the Nevada desert. A pack of coyotes took to calling somewhere in the distant foot hills.

“When do you have to report, Bobby?” The girl's voice sounded sad as she sat on the tailgate beneath a Navajo blanket.

“After Thanksgiving.” The young man answered, sighing heavily and studying his cowboy boots. Thinking of going to southeast Asia scared the eighteen year old redhead out of his wits. He wiped away the tears threatening to gather in the corners of his blue eyes. Too many of the guys he'd graduated high school with had left and never come back. Others only managed to make it back in body; their minds forever shattered.

“Cheryl, Will you write to me, once in a while anyway.” A light breeze blew the girl's dark hair against his face, her cheek on his shoulder.

“I'll write as often as I can, you know that.” Playing, he pulled her into a head lock and messed up her hair. Squirming and laughing, Cheryl shoved Bobby away, leaning against his chest as soon as he quit tickling her.

“My brother says he knows a guy who can smuggle you into Canada, Bobby, we could go up there and get married.” Her arms wrapped around him, a warm life line in his sea of fear and doubt.

“I have to do this, Cheryl, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't. Who knows, maybe I'll luck out and be flat footed or something.” Bobby pressed a kiss to his girlfriend's forehead. They looked out at the desert for a while in silence.

“Hey, what's that?” Cheryl sat bolt upright. A fiery ball came from the horizon, arching up toward the full moon. For a moment it broke into the atmosphere then began to fall toward earth. As it fell the fire ball became bigger.

“It looks like a shooting star.” Bobby slid down off the truck tailgate, watching the mystery object speeding closer.

“I don't think so, Bobby, shooting stars usually don't have a shape like that in the middle.” Cheryl pointed to the red hot, metal orb in the center. The young couple stood together watching the fire enveloped ball land a quarter mile from where they stood. Whatever it was created an impact created big enough to swallow a Volkswagen bus.

“Let's go check it out.” Bobby and Cheryl climbed in the truck and sped toward the flames. Seemingly out of nowhere the wind of a helicopter blew dust and sand onto the windshield. Bobby stomped hard on the Chevy's brakes. Soldiers surrounded the rust bucket, jerking open the doors and demanding to know who they were. The pair was loaded into a troop truck under heavy guard. An MP drove Bobby's truck behind, the lights switched off. Fear gripped Cheryl's heart. She felt vulnerable and young. Tears welled up in her eyes as she clung to Bobby's arm.

“What are they gonna do with us, Bobby?” The young girl asked quietly.

“Don't worry, Miss, its just questioning.” A kind, male voice spoke out of the darkness. The sound of flapping, green canvas nearly drowned out his voice.

“How long before we get to go home?” Bobby demanded, his voice strained.

“Twenty-four hours or so.” The man moved toward the bench where the young couple huddled together.

“My mamma is going to kill me, I'm supposed to be home before eleven o'clock.” Cheryl whined.

“My name is Major Charles.” Bobby and Cheryl saw a pair of worn, hazel eyes and a weary smile when the major flipped on a flashlight. The fear around Cheryl's hear eased a fraction; seeing a real, live, human face.

Scene Break

FLASHBACK =NNL Hangar 2300 hrs November 11, 1970

Dr. Mentnor paced the floor of the control tower worrying over the Sphere. It had launched an hour before and hadn't been retrieved yet. Major Charles had been ordered to lead the retrieval group. Too much was happening. Isaac felt the knot in his stomach loosen when the hangar door rolled open and the big, blue sphere inched it's way forward. It was going to be a long night ahead; assessing the damage to the craft, analyzing all the data collected during the testing and writing reports on it all- in triplicate. Mentnor didn't see how he and Major Charles were going to liberate the baby everyone had begun to call 'Frank'.

“Dr. Mentnor, you have a call, line two.” a male voice announced over the loud speaker in the hangar. It took a few minutes, but Isaac took the call in his office.

“This is Isaac Mentnor,” He waited for a response from the other end.

“Dr. Mentnor, Maj. Charles here, I have an idea for the project, meet me first thing in the morning at the base PX.” The call ended abruptly. Isaac hung up the receiver on its base and stood behind his desk. He looked thoughtfully into the dimly lit office, pondering what move to make next.

Scene Break