Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

NNL Conference Room #1 0830 hrs February 9

Olga walked into the conference room and took her usual seat across from Frank and Donovan. What she saw beside him made her unreasonably angry. A long legged brunette sat beside Frank. She was cool and aloof, wearing designer clothes and perfectly coiffed, shoulder length hair. Dr. Ballard zoomed into the room, his wheel chair stopping with a jerk.

“Ooh, company.” The eclectic scientist marveled, removing the red lollipop from his mouth. Ballard took a long look at the lovely visitor studying her surroundings.

“Hey, Ballard, this is Miss Parker.” A huge grin nearly split the scientist's face when Frank introduced the visitor.

“Have you been to Vegas lately, Frank?” A laugh died on his lips when he saw how unamused Frank and the lady both were.

“No relation, I'm of the Delaware Parkers.” Her thick, cultured voice; husky and breathy, made Ballard feel tingles in places he hadn't felt in ages. Olga rolled her eyes, coughing to cover a mock gag. Frank kicked her beneath the table.

“The other guests are Sydney and Broots.” Miss Parker interrupted, quelling the coming argument.

“Where is Dr. Seaborg?” Ramsey demanded of no one in particular.

“I saw Jarod earlier this morning.” Mentnor answered nonchalantly. Talmadge bustled in, a cross expression darkening his features.

“There are two reasons I called this meeting. First, the Dark Moon Group has carried out an attack on the US President, the Canadian Prime Minister, and a number of leaders in South America. The Panel has authorized a back step immediately. Second, the man we know as Dr. Seaborg is actually an imposter.” Talmadge hit play on the projector remote. Various pictures of Jarod appeared on screen; an FBI badge, race car driver, Army Ranger, and surgeon, to list a few.

“He has bluffed his way through all this?” Donovan remarked, amazed.

“Bet he's a hell of a poker player.” Frank added, raising his eyebrows and grinning.

“Jarod has the unique ability to become whom ever he needs to become. He processes and applies information in such a way that he truly is a doctor or lawyer.” Sydney explained as he'd done countless times over the years.

“Nice slide show, but you forgot rodeo clown and the time I painted murals in San Pedro.” All eyes turned to the door. Leaning against the door jam, his arms crossed over his chest, stood Jarod. Miss Parker jumped to her feet, as did Ramsey and Talmadge.

“Well, I'll be, if that ain't bold as brass.” Ramsey declared, punching in the number for security into the phone on the table.

“Trapped like a rat, Jarod?” Miss Parker couldn't contain the triumph in her voice. She knew as well as anyone he showed up by choice. Their gaze locked across the room.

“There are none so trapped as those who will not move.” He paraphrased an old adage. Miss Parker caught Jarod's double meaning and felt it like a knife.

“Alright you, MP's are on their way.” Ramsey rounded the conference table to stand beside Miss Parker.

“Jarod is my prisoner, you bureaucratic piss ant.” Miss Parker came toe-to-toe with the bantam director of security.

“You must really be something, Jarod, I thought Ramsey only turned that color red when he yelled at me.” Frank chuckled. The Pretender only shrugged.

“See, the thing is, without me there is no back step, I broke the code in 1970 and I now have the rest of the modifications to the Sphere.” Jarod laid it out. Sydney hid a smile. Broots swallowed hard to keep from showing his giddy excitement.

“I thought Dr. Mentnor and his team reverse engineered the alien technology in the late 1940's and early 50's.” Donovan wondered aloud.

“But you didn't, did you, Dr. Mentnor?” Jarod's dark eyes shone with secrets. “The Panel used the Centre for it's own gain, and tried to do to an innocent child what they did to me and my brother.” Ramsey pulled his revolver when Jarod reached behind him to pull out the file hidden against his back. Miss Parker felt for her waist holster, only to come up empty.

“You're quite right, Jarod reverse engineered all of it for us. Without him Project BS would still be a dream.” Isaac blinked, his rheumy eyes taking on a distant gaze. The Pretender handed the file folder over to Frank. “Over thirty years ago, when Project BS began to show signs of practical application in our lifetime, bureaucrats in Washington decided to take a radical course of action, they isolated a family whose DNA indicated tenancies toward incredible pain tolerance and eidetic memory, also known as photographic memory. A child was abducted, his parents unknown or dead, but the child was brought to NNL. For his own protection, the child, you Frank, was spirited away by Jarod's father, Major Charles, to Philadelphia.” All eyes turned from Dr. Mentnor to Frank. The chrononaut held his birth certificate up from the file, his eyes as big as everyone else's. The old doctor sat down, his half of the tale told.

“This certainly explains why I grew up an orphan, like something out of a comic book.” Frank held up a picture of himself as an infant. It was Sydney's turn to speak.

“As Dr. Mentnor has said, the project began to progress with help from the Centre. Jarod and I were assigned to reverse engineer the alien space craft, which we were told was of Russian origin.” Sydney spoke with no emotion. He'd long ago quit trying to explain away his part in the Centre's affairs.

“My father gave Frank what he couldn't give his sons; freedom.” Jarod's jaw worked as he looked at the room full of people.

“Right now we have to finish the modifications on the sphere. The Dark Moon Group's attack has to be prevented.” Donovan brought everyone back to the business at hand.

“We can't allow him access to the Sphere, it's a major breach of security.” Ramsey bellowed.

“Calm down, Nathan, we have the tightest security of any installation known to man.” Talmadge laid a beefy hand on his second-in-command's shoulder.

“He's never been to the Centre.” Broots commented before he thought, a snicker freezing in his throat. He got an understanding nod from Sydney.

“Can you complete the modifications alone, Dr. Ballard?” The director of operations asked. With a worried expression the scientist began to sputter an answer.

“No, Sir, Jarod's modifications aren't on any of the blue prints, I was going to tell you.” He looked up at Talmadge with his magnified, blue eyes begging for mercy.

“Wonderful, the leader of the US is dead because of some anarchist group and the Sphere is out of commission because you've been out smarted, Ballard.” Ramsey groused loudly.

“I wouldn't talk about being out smarted if I were you, Sparky.” With her usual air of annoyance and superiority, she leaned against the table. The entire group agreed with Miss Parker. Ramsey was playing with an Uno deck in a poker world.

“Modifications to the Sphere can be completed in a few hours.” Jarod informed them confidently. Talmadge growled low, his mind full of options and responsibilities. MP's stood at the ready in the hall behind Jarod.

“We have to back step as soon as possible, Jarod will remain at NNL until a back step is possible, under close supervision.” He heard a protest from both Miss Parker and Nathan Ramsey. “Sydney, since you have prior experience with alien technology, perhaps you and Dr. Mentnor can collaborate. The director began to tick off a mental check list to meet his responsibilities. “Mr. Broots, your dossier says you have a doctorate in computer information systems, computer aided drafting, computer simulation science and a minor in robotics, Dr. Ballard could use your help I'm sure.”

“My word, Broots, I had no idea.” Sydney remarked with new respect. The balding, younger man nearly blushed. Even Miss Parker seemed a tad bit surprised.

“I'll keep Miss Parker company until it's time to back step.” Frank offered, his chest puffing up a bit and a devilish expression in his eye. Jarod felt a funny tightening cringe at the thought of Miss Parker alone with Frank. Logically he knew the tough as nails woman could handle herself just fine, but how Jarod felt wasn't logical. He saw the same hint of jealous concern in Olga's pursed lips and mean eyed, cat stare.

“You have other assignments, Frank.” Bradley lined the Romeo out.

“Damn it, and I thought we might play spin the bottle and be kissing cousins.” Frank swore, snapping his fingers. Miss Parker smiled slowly, a long, hot look in her pale eyes. “Maybe some other time, eh?” The chrononaut grinned as he let his gaze take in all of her long, graceful figure.

“Alright everyone, time to get to work, Miss Parker, follow Dr. Ballard and Jarod to the hangar please.” Talmadge interrupted Frank's train of thought. Escorted by MP's Jarod and Miss Parker left for the hangar.

Scene Break

NNL Frank's Quarters 1000 hrs February 9

Frank went through his usual pre-flight routine. He laid out the good-bye letter to his little boy, Jimmy, and one to Olga. Everyone knew about the letter to Jimmy. Only Donovan knew about the letter to Olga. Written in Frank's bold hand, the letter explained all the feelings he couldn't express aloud to the Russian scientist. As much as it seemed like the chrononaut wore his feelings on his cuff, he kept them close to the vest. As imperfect and crude as he was, Frank Parker cared deeply for Olga.

Packing his bag, the chrononaut laid in the usual gear; hand gun, change of clothes, identification, first aid kit, etc. Sitting on the bed, Frank flipped through the file Jarod had given him earlier. There were medical records on his father and mother as well as himself. Frank's father had served in peace time after the Korean War. A military picture of what could have been his brother lay neatly paper clipped to his file. A graduation photo of a beautiful, young woman smiling came next. Her dark eyes and hair reminded Frank of himself. The woman's school transcript listed her as fifteen on her graduation day. She had been valedictorian of her class and gone on to work at the Library of Congress. The file said very little about the pair as people, their likes, dislikes and personalities. It also left a gaping hole as to where they went after Frank was born. The chrononaut realized he could still have living parents, maybe even brothers and sisters. After this back step, Frank decided to do some snooping into his past. He laid the file between the layers of clothing and zipped up his bag.

Scene Break

Rachel, Nevada UFO Bar and Grill February 9

Major Charles had been camped out on the bar stool for three hours waiting on his contact inside NNL. He'd been nursing a half warm beer for over an hour. If the contact didn't show up soon, Major Charles knew he'd have to find another way to get on base, not to mention his feet were in danger of going to sleep permanently if he didn't walk around.

“How was Philadelphia?” The sound of her sweet voice took the major back thirty years.

“Miss Helms, I was beginning to wonder about you.” Major Charles stood up at the bar and took the lady's plump hand in both of his.

“Oh please, call me Cheryl.” She giggled nervously. With a hand on Major Charles' arm, Cheryl Helms let him escort her to a table. Neon lights glowed around them, somethings flickering as an Elvis impersonator crooned “Love Me Tender” for the dozen or so patrons scattered around the old bar.

“You're just as pretty as you were back then.” Major Charles complimented the short, plump lady.

“If you keep talking like that your nose will grow, Pinocchio.” Ms. Helms chided him, secretly pleased. A young, leggy waitress took their drink order with bland eyes and little hope of a tip. “Tell me, Major Charles, did you ever find your boys?” She saw the sad answer in his eyes before he could answer.

“I'm still searching for Jarod, I lost all track of Kyle.” The former military man's voice almost cracked as he spoke.

“Oh, Major Charles, I'm very sorry.” Cheryl patted his hand briefly. The waitress brought him a fresh beer and Cheryl's Dr. Pepper. The major paid the tab and gave a modest tip.

“Has your nephew contacted you about the ID and clearances?” It was time to get to the point, dispelling the gloom his companion's question had brought.

“Yes, he has, Mark has them at my house right now, what do you plan to do when you get on base, Major?” Her eyes twinkled with excitement. It had been so long since anything juicy had happened in the older woman's life, she'd long ago lost the feeling of being part of something.

“I'll do whatever it takes to help my son.” Determination in his expression told Cheryl he would stop at nothing.

“What happened to the baby we took to Philadelphia all those years ago?” The past middle aged woman cocked her head and took on an almost Gidget voice. The major took a long sip of his beer and looked at the poster of Elvis on the wall behind Ms. Helms.

Scene Break