Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

NNL February 9, 0800 hrs Nathan Ramsey's office.

“Your computer records are wrong, Mr. Ramsey, the photos you sent match out three executives perfectly.” Mr. Lyle's voice took on an air of authority. Ramsey knew when he was talking to the boss.

“How I know is, the female you're holding is my sister. Do we understand one another?” Lyle hung up before Ramsey had time to say a word.

“Snotty, little jerk!” Ramsey fumed, slamming down the phone. After a turn around his office, the head of security picked up the phone again and dialed an extension.

“Yeah, Cooper, bring the prisoners to my office immediately.” Ramsey ordered, his voice barely under control. Fifteen minutes later, Miss Parker, Sydney and Broots were escorted to Ramsey's office.

“I see you've finally come to your senses, Mr. Ramsey.” Miss Parker purred. He didn't know why, but Nathan Ramsey felt threatened.

“We are very sorry, Miss Parker, the security of this base is of the utmost importance.” Ramsey breathed deeply, trying to stand as tall as his frame would allow.

“Now, can we get back to the business we came to attend to?” Miss Parker leaned forward, in a very predatory stance. She pulled out the picture of Jarod she kept handy. Ramsey knew who it was at a distance. He started to demand an explanation when the office door flew open, sending the blinds into a clatter.

“Ramsey, Talmadge says we..” The speaker never finished his sentence. Grousing, the head of security stalked around his desk.

“Parker, were you born in a barn or something? Can't you see I'm busy just now?” The blue coverall clad chrononaut stood with one hand on the door knob and his mouth agape.

“Hello, I'm Lt. Frank B. Parker, and you are?” He finally found his voice. A pair of ice blue eyes looked up at him from beneath long, dark lashes.

“They call me Miss Parker.” Her voice carried a clipped, eastern accent and a hit of amusement.

“Frank, did you hear me?” Ramsey waved his hand in front of the chrononaut's face.

“Shut up, Ramsey, or I'll shove your nose into your brain.” Frank turned from the lovely, dark lady to his nemesis. Behind Ramsey the lovely lady smirked, looking at Sydney. She liked what she saw, and what she heard. This man was bold, a characteristic Miss Parker could relate to.

“Tell Talmadge I'll be there in a second.” Ramsey shoved Frank out the door and closed it behind him.

Scene Break

NNL Dr. Isaac Mentnor's Office 0800 hrs February 9

Jarod strolled into Dr. Mentnor's office at seven o'clock and made himself at home in an arm chair. Sitting in the dark, the Pretender could smell the scent of old, musty books, Old Spice aftershave, and dry, filtered air. It all reminded him of Sydney's office at the Centre. When the lights were flipped on, Jarod roused out of his reverie, red notebook in hand.

“Good morning, Dr. Mentnor.” The older man was taken aback by his sudden appearance.

“Jarod, what are you doing here so early?” Mentnor crossed the office to his desk and sat down. He shuffled around, dressed in dark gray slacks and a black sweater over a white dress shirt and complimentary bow tie.

“I came to talk to you about this.” Jarod handed him the file he'd been carrying around all night. Isaac knew exactly what Jarod had come to him for.

“So, you're Jarod, the child prodigy, the real genius behind Project Backstep.” Mentnor sank back into his leather office chair with a wistful sigh.

“Yes, Sir, one and the same.” A dark, mysterious look glinted in Jarod's hawkish eyes.

“Have you found your parents yet, Jarod?” The question took him by surprise.

“Almost.” He looked pained for a moment. “What really happened when Mr. Parker came to NNL, Dr. Mentnor?” Jarod's voice sounded like hot steel when it hits water. The old man before him took a deep breath before speaking.

“I found a man on the brink, Jarod.” Dr. Mentnor's eyes took on a faraway, sad reflection. “Major Charles insinuated himself into base security over a month before the Centre sent Mr. Parker. He was well liked by all the men on base. Major Charles and I helped send Frank to Philadelphia, to the orphanage where he grew up.” Mentnor smiled, remembering the daring he once had. “ Father Kelley, an old friend of your father's from the military, took it from there, Frank's parents were dead, but at least he was free to grow up, which you weren't I take it.”

“No, I didn't.” Jarod sighed. “Do yo know why my father was here?” The Pretender already knew but wanted to know more.

“Major Charles planned to abduct Mr. Parker, he had to make a choice between saving Frank and bargaining for his sons.” Mentnor could only imagine how torn the major must have been.

“Save two sons who were already at the Centre or save someone else's child from the same fate.” Jarod's heart fell in his chest. He wished his father had rescued him and Kyle, but on the other hand, Jarod wouldn't wish a lab rat's existence on anyone. As the truth sank in, Dr. Mentnor's phone rang.

“Thank you, we'll be right there.” Dr. Mentnor hung up the phone. “We have a meeting to attend, it seems there are three officials from Delaware to meet you.” Mentnor's rheumy eyes took on a devilish expression.

“Thank you, Dr. Mentnor.” Jarod walked out of the office with the good doctor.

Scene Break