Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

I included a Lady Heather reference in another story, and a crossover was suggested. I have set this around Season 1/2 ish - where Jarod is still new to the world and not yet familiar with people and society.  He seems to have grown up a lot in the later seasons, and this is my theory as to where he learned those social skills he had been lacking before then.

FYI my experience in the 'scene' is limited, this is more about what goes on inside our heads than anything else.  So apologies if I dont get the details quite right.

Initally was one chapter but my muse won't let go of this one, so there is more.

All characters belong to their respective creators, I'm just borrowing them for a bit.  Will be returned only slightly dishevilled and thoroughly satisfied, hopefully :)



Author's Chapter Notes:

For all my readers, especially the ones who take the time to review :)


A serial killer in Las Vegas was targeting prostitutes, but specifically those in the B&D  and S&M scenes.  The sister of one of the victims comes to Jarod's attention, she is on the news criticising the efforts of local law enforcement, and about to get herself into a whole boatload of trouble.

Jarod had managed to elude the media circus outside Amanda's apartment complex, and talked his way inside.  Posing as a private investigator engaged by another family member, he calmed her down and got her talking.  Fortunately he managed to get through to her what she had done and why there was now a media barricade outside her front door, and why they were following her everywhere.  You don't openly criticise the police and expect it to go unnoticed, not in an internet connected world.

Amanda sighed, and snuffled into her tissue "I only wanted answers, the police didn't tell me anything" scrunching the tissue in her hands "I was afraid becase Suzy was a prostitute they were not taking it seriously" her tear reddened eyes looking up to him "She was paying her way through university, studying psychology.  Doing what she did was research.  Suzy called her clients 'her own personal petri dishes'"

Not entirely certain of the moral certainties around that one, Jarod let it go "Amanda, we need to get you out of here, somewhere safe.  The police didn't tell you some critical details of this case for good reason.  For your own safety we need to move you, and you need to stay quiet and let me deal with this"  reaching out to take one of her hands gently in his "Do you trust me to do this for you, to find justice for your sister and the others?

Staring up at the earnest brown eyes, Amanda does trust him, and so she nods. At his request she packs up clothes and necessities for a few days, and with some trickery and a classic "over there, she is getting away" manages to avoid the press pack.  Jarod has a safe house prepared, where he is staying.  Amanda agrees to sit tight, while he goes out and does his PI thing.

Jarod knows he needs to get inside the scene, fortunately Suzy worked at a reputedly high class joint, very exclusive and expensive.  Therefore a visit, posing as a client, giving him a chance to get inside and look around.

Dressing carefully for the part, an out of town executive for some 'relaxation' while here on business, he showed up precisely 5 min early for his scheduled appointment.  As usual he had spent the night reading and researching, so understood this would be an initial interview to vet him.  New players were carefully screened by each 'house', references got you in the door, but rarely for Jarod, he wasn't able to provide any for this pretend.  It was too niche a culture for him to bluff his way in, he had to be what he was, a man curious for some new experiences.

Welcomed into a pleasant room he was tempted to describe as a parlour, plied with beverages by an attractive young lady in a surprisingly conservative business suit, he was asked to complete a thorough questionairre.  Provided nibbles while this was assessed, he was then interviewed by another older woman, questioned both on what he did and didn't write in his answers.  Surprisingly subtle interrogation techniques were used, more information than he really intended to give was extracted carefully.  Jarod hoped his rising nervousness would be read as typical for the situation, and tried to act naturally, as naturally as you can while being interviewed by a dominatrix. Even one in a business suit and sensible heels.

He knew the interview must be taped, but was surprised when he was asked to remain and wait.  He assumed it would be assessed and he would be contacted later in the day.  With a shrug he resumed reading the latest Time magazine, and sipped on the excellent coffee.   About an hour later, he was served a light lunch, again with the request to wait, that he would be 'seen' shortly.  No one at any point said who he would be seen by, and this curiosity alone would have kept him waiting, if not for his mission.

GQ, Vanity Fair, New Scientist, and for the sheer hell of it, Guns & Ammo kept him entertained.  His immersion in popular culture was interrupted by a new voice, a contralto with a hint of purr in it "I sincerely apologise for the delay Mr Petersen.  You are very gracious to have waited so patiently for so long"

The woman addressing him walked across the room, coming to a halt in front of him, and holding out her hand to shake his.  Her grip was firm and steady.  Not classically beautiful, she was arresting in her more exotic looks, amber eyes slanted over cheekbones, framed in wavy auburn hair, wide sensual mouth with a hint of a smile as she took in his regard.

Gesturing to his seat, she sat neatly, another business suit, also conservative in cut but clearly expensive and tailor made.  Quite ridiculous shoes he had never figured out the shoe thing but she made them work. He nodded and resumed his seat, lounging back and waved a hand in dismissal "The coffee was excellent, and the casinos hold no appeal.  My meeting is not until tomorrow" a shrug but his eye on her face were direct "All the secrecy made me ....curious"

Her smile giving nothing away as she too sat further into her seat, and picked up the file in her lap, opening it, and flicking through some pages before closing it and looking at him "You must realise you are an anomaly? A single unattached wealthy businessman walking in our doors in broad daylight? Never happens.  Your people would have contacted us and facilitated a more.....discreet  approach"

Amber eyes narrow, head tilting "Therefore you are a puzzle"  she smiles slightly "Its been quite a while since I had a good puzzle to solve"  Tired of the scrutiny, and still not enlighted as to who this woman is, he is blase "I sidestepped protocol, I'm only here for a few days, and was looking for some.....education"  Beginning to rise from his seat  and putting some heat into his voice, he wasn't going to be pushed around "Sorry for wasting your time, but I'm not going to sit here and be lectured by someone who hasn't bothered to tell me her name"  He turns to pickup his jacket, and is stopped by a hand on his shoulder.

The smile on her face is warmer, a slight crinkle at the eyes "Please sit, you are quite right"  She sits again, and when he hesitates "Please, I will explain"  He sits, eyes slitted with temper "I'm listening"

"I told you the truth earlier, you are an anomaly, for the reasons I gave.  And for others"  relaxing back into the chair, hands on both arms "As for my name, I am Lady Heather, and this is my House.  My staff bought you to my attention, while I was busy with an appointment, so thankyou for waiting til I was available"  his mind skittered over several possible scenarios that certainly didnt involve the business suit she was wearing

Seeing his expression, Lady Heather laughed "I am a psychologist, a sex therapist.  I run my clinic from these premises.  It has its .....benefits." Waving a hand in dismissal "So, Mr.....Petersen, no, Jarod" amber eyes looking at him carefully "Yes the first belongs to you but the last doesn't, so lets dispense with that charade"

She gets up, pours herself a glass of iced water and walks back to the chair, but instead of sitting as she places the glass down, she walks behind his chair, stopping and placing her hands on his shoulders for a moment.  Giving them a pat she resumes her seat, expression giving nothing away "Not just a puzzle, but a conundrum even.  And you don't really realise it do you?"

Jarod is not certain what she means, and her steady measuring gaze is beginning to unnerve him.  This is not how this interview should have gone, he has lost control and has no idea how to get it back."Realise what?  If my presence here is so troublesome, that is an easy situation to rectify"

A slight smile on her face as she shakes here head in negation "There, that's where you have gone wrong.  You should have got up and walked out hours ago.  The persona you have adopted would have done so.  But you waited, patiently.  Entertained yourself.  Didn't complain at any point or make a fuss."  an elegant shrug "Such patience is unusual, you have a reason for staying.  One you didn't put on the forms.  Until I get an explanation, this is as far as you go"

Staggered at her insight, and abashed at his performance, Jarod is feeling out of his depth.  So he decides to tell her the truth, well a limited version of it. With a sigh,he makes an effort to relax into his chair, and carefully watching her, pulls out his red notebook from its jacket pocket.   And his PI badge.  Handing her both, he begins to explain about Amanda and Suzy, and his  cover story.

Lady Heather accepts the story for what it is, he is clearly trying to help, and believes he can.  Despite her connections in the LVPD, she is inclined to let him.  He appears comfortable working outside of the law, without their.....limitations.  He might be....useful.

After all Suzy was one of her own.


Jarod is relieved when Lady Heather appears to believe his story, and cover ID.  Except for the ID, it is true, and he is offering to help.  Her suggestion on how best to do so completely startles him.  "You want me to work HERE!  Undercover?" running a hand through his hair, he gauges her expression "What exactly would I do? You have this place wired, you don't need a bouncer"

He noticed the security, interesting......."Actually I have a particular requirement I think you would fulfil nicely.  I have two Ladies who are ready for more advanced training, but I have lacked a suitable student for them to train with" Her smile has more of an edge "I think we could come to a mutually pleasing arrangement.  You help with the training, and I allow you access to the staff and the house for your investigations.  Also client records and security footage if necessary"

Initially shocked at her suggest, he begins to see the merit in it, but is still wary "What would the training involve?" flashing memories of restraints, splashing cold water, electricity, confinement "There are some things I'm not prepared to allow"

Lady Heather tilted her head in acknowledgement "A chameleon walks into my House, notices my very discreet security, waits patiently for too long when directed to, mimes shooting a handgun so well I can damn near see it.  He dresses and acts the part but doesn't quite have all the social cues to carry it off, doesn't like to be touched, and is offering for no discernable gain to help catch a killer."

"You act all the parts very well, Jarod, and you have some interesting skills.  You were not raised with other children from a young age, are used to following orders from authority and have had a lot of military training. You very much are a puzzle, but as yet you are missing some critical pieces.  I think I can help you with those pieces. The social intimacies the rest of us take for granted.  The things you need for the men you are pretending to be"

Aghast that she has read him so well, so very well, he struggles to momentarily restrain the adrenaline surge driving him to 'flight or fight' response.  How had she seen this in him.  How could she possibly know?  Was she from the Centre? Why had he simmed the handgun in the review where he could be seen?

Judging his wildeyed response, Lady Heather opened her hands in a non threatening gesture "I read people Jarod, in my business you have to read them very very well.  They will never truthfully tell you what they need or want.  Most of the time, they don't really know it themselves."

"I don't know who or what you are hiding from, but whoever it is, I am not them.  I promise you this.  If you help me, I can protect you from them, perhaps we can help each other?"

He closed his eyes for a moment, minimising the sensory overload. His brain whirling as it processed what she had said, he begins to process it, judging it for truth, lies, deception.  Weighing his needs over what she was offering, deciding if it was worth the risk.

Images of the slain women flashing again and again as he thought.


His eyes snapped open, dark gaze firm and clear as he nodded back at her  "Yes, we have a deal.  I think there will be further discussion on the details, but yes.  I will work here, help with your training and investigate, in exchange for your help and protection"

"Before you finally agree, there are some things I need to tell you.....about who I am, where I come from, and who is hunting me.  Who you might need to protect me from.  Hear that and decided if your offer still stands.  If it does, then yes, we will work together"

Of all the stories Lady Heather was expecting to hear, the one he told her was nothing she could ever expect.  In the end he had to show her some DSA for her to truly believe him.

Jarod was shaken by her compassion and understanding.  She committed to helping him even more surely after he had shown her some of his most terrible secrets.  Her astonishing ability to read and understand him had surprised him greatly, if she was able to see him, could she help him?