Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is not very long but I thought I'd be nice for once and not keep you waiting until I am back from my vacation. :)


Part Thirteen

Jarod

All of a sudden my family reunion had turned into a massacre. With three people missing from the table, my parents in various stages of disbelief and Sammy crying for her mother while half the restaurant was looking on with a fair share of curiosity, I began to feel extremely uncomfortable.

"It's fine, baby, come here." I lifted Sammy from her chair and pulled her into my arms, caressing the back of her head with my hand. "It's alright."

My parents remained their silence and somehow I would have preferred them to discuss the matter in angry words as I was used to from my wife so I could reason with them. Since although they were my parents, I hadn't known them for a long time actually, I couldn't tell how bad it was just from looking at them over the shaking frame of my little daughter.

"Jarod, it seems your wife has some issues," my mother finally said and the way she said "you wife" didn't improve my desolate state one bit.

"She's upset about gaining weight and she didn't want…" I couldn't talk about Sammy as if she wasn't in the room, so I did not finish my sentence. We would have a lot of explaining to do once we got home.

"Gaining weight is perfectly normal in a pregnancy. And it's not her first either. There is no justifying what she did to Emily, son," my father added with a solemn expression on his face.

"I don't know what got into her," I said, at a loss. "She's usually very sweet."

The stares my parents gave me told me better than words could have ever done, that they did not believe one word of what I was saying.

"I'm sorry, Jarod. You chose your wife because you love her and you have a wonderful daughter, but…" Obviously my mother was reluctant to discredit Parker in front of Sammy and so she simply furrowed her brows, looking lost. "It's just that I have been asking myself the same questions Emily has."

"I don't think we should talk about this now." I kissed Samantha on the forehead and carefully wiped some of her tears away. "Listen, honey, I will check up on Mommy now and you stay with granny, okay?"

She nodded and although it didn't feel right to leave her alone right now, I handed her over to my mother, who immediately wrapped her arms around her while my father gestured for the waiter who was cleaning up Emily's glass to bring a dessert for Sam.

Miss Parker

"Miss Parker, what is wrong with you?" Dr Summers felt my forehead and grabbed my arm to help me to my feet. It was weird to see my doctor in anything else than the white lab coat that she always wore to work so I was taken aback for a moment while she steadied me.

"I've been feeling so dizzy," I told her, relieved to have someone to lean on just now.

"It's okay. Have you been taking your pills?"

I nodded. "Yes, but they don't seem to help. It almost feels as if they were making it worse."

She stroked my arm gently. "It's fine. Sometimes they take some time to take effect."

"I've been taking them for two weeks now and look at me," I growled. "I can't even walk straight."

"Maybe that is also due to the confrontation at your table," Dr Summers said gently. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear."

"Yeah, they could probably hear it all over Texas."

Dr Summers gave a little smile whose nervousness was somewhat misplaced, then held the door for me. "Look, let's go outside for a bit and then I can drive you home. You need to lie down and put your feet up. That baby certainly doesn't like you kneeling on cold bathroom floors."

I shook my head. "My keys are at the table."

"Never mind. I'll just walk you out for some fresh air then."

Dr Summers steadied me and guided me through the lobby towards the main entrance. The cool air outside cleared my head instantly and I felt safe not hanging on to my doctor for a moment. I hated being dependent and holding on to someone's shoulder for dear life felt extremely uncomfortable to me.

Dr Summers had just taken her handbag from her shoulder in order to retrieve something, when Broots suddenly appeared in front of us.

"M… Miss Parker!" he quickly came towards me and clumsily put an arm around my waist, though still barely touching me. Sometimes I thought he knew me better than anyone in this world which was probably due to his watching my every move with something closely resembling awe for several years.

For some reason Dr Summers looked annoyed when she acknowledged his presence.

"And you are…?"
"Broots, a friend of the family," he extended his hand but Dr Summers didn't take it.

"Maybe you retrieve get her hand bag? I would like to drive my patient home. She needs rest."

"She's my doctor," I explained, suddenly feeling exhausted.

"It's okay. I will drive her home. Are you sure you don't want to sit down, Miss Parker?" Broots rubbed my back slowly, while he made his offer which was a little much already.

"I'm fine."

The door opened and Jarod stepped through, looking distraught.

" There you are. Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be after a fun night out with your lovely sister?" I snapped, but regretted it instantly. That retort seemed to have taken up all my energy at once.

"I'm going to drive you home," Jarod said woodenly.

"If you'd like to stay with your family, I can drive Miss Parker home," Broots said.

The fact alone that Jarod seemed to consider that offer made my heart contract.

"That's a good idea, Broots," I quickly chimed in before Jarod could say anything. I'd rather hurt myself than allow myself to be rejected by someone. Good old self-preservation instincts kicking in.

Dr Summers

The best laid plans, I thought bitterly and whipped out my cell phone once the annoying man had left with Miss Parker in tow. I dialed the familiar number, then waited for someone to pick up the phone.

"Yes?"

"It's me. It didn't work."

"Something wrong with the pills?" The voice on the other end sounded as hollow and detached as ever.

"No, she's a wreck physically and she's had quite a situation with Jarod's family, but before I could get her into my car, some guy named Broots got in my way and snatched her away. I couldn't make my move."

There was a short but pregnant silence on the other end of the line.

"Then try again."

The call was ended before I had a chance to reply and I sighed, rolling my eyes towards the dark sky. Why did everything have to go wrong?

Broots

"I'm sorry you had to witness that. If I had known that the evening would go all sorts of wrong, I would have spared you," Miss Parker said and accepted the steaming cup of tea with a gracious yet sad smile.

"It wasn't your fault. I understand Jarod and his parents didn't pay attention to everything Emily said. I did, though, and she was clearly trying to provoke you. She was wrong, by the way. You look very beautiful."
"Yeah, except I am as pale as a vampire." But my comment made her smile despite herself, which in turn made me happy. Even after all these years it still felt new and exciting to not be her subordinate anymore but her friend. She had given up taunting me after the Centre had fallen and I could only feel awe at how sweet she was to me. Of course, she wouldn't have been Miss Parker if she hadn't got some enjoyment out of snapping at me every once in a while, but it was nothing compared to her demeanor at the Centre.

"Well, it doesn't matter why. I've clearly screwed up."

There was no denying and so I resorted to putting my arm round her shoulders to which she surprisingly reacted by leaning against me. I had always found her perfume to be intoxicating and I had to admit right here, that even now that she was pregnant with another man's child, I desired her like nothing else in this world. I always had and whenever we didn't see each other for a while – which due to both our demanding lives did happen a lot - , I was sure I was over her. Unfortunately I was always wrong since she blew me away again, every time we met. I had a hard time hiding it from both her and Jarod and although I knew that it would have been better to avoid close proximity to her, I found myself unable to.

"They got it all wrong, thought I had turned all psycho bitch on Emily for no reason. And Jarod thinks I had used information he gave me about Emily's life against her, when he didn't even tell me."

"I know. I'm sure you two can work it out."

I tried my hardest to be helpful and fight the unwelcome feeling of excitement that came up when I thought about what the possibilities were if maybe they could not work it out this time. I hated myself for that feeling since in my right mind, I did not want Jarod and Miss Parker to split up. I also knew that I wouldn't stand a chance as a possible love interest even if they did.

"I'm not so sure. We're going through a pretty rough time with his family suddenly turning up. I mean, I can even understand that they don't trust me, but I simply didn't expect to be attacked by Emily in that way."

"Why should you have? As you pointed out, she obviously acted out her frustration about her situation. When you feel that powerless I guess it helps to have someone you can hate. If you explain it to him I'm sure Jarod will understand."

"You think so?" She raised her head from its resting place on my shoulder and looked into my eyes, sending chills through my whole body. "Oh," she said softly before I could reply.

"What is it? Are you okay?" I asked, alarmed.

"Yes, yes I am," she smiled. "I just felt my baby move. For the first time actually."

"Did you?" was all I could manage to say, while I was suddenly choked up.

She grinned. "Would you like to feel it?"

"I don't know…" I began, halfway ready to spill the beans about my rather trying to not get to close to her or even touch her, but she had already taken my hand. It felt as if the air was suddenly out of my lungs when she placed my hand over her swollen middle and I felt a soft movement. Her fragrant hair robbed me of every sensible thought and I was fighting hard not to imagine what it would be like if I wasn't a friend keeping her company but her husband and father to her child instead.

There was a moment of silence while she concentrated on the baby's movements and I failed miserably at trying to force my thoughts away from that fantasy.

If she was my wife, I thought, I would have never allowed any member of my family to talk to her like that. I knew that Jarod was often fed up with her ways, but I couldn't imagine a situation in which I would lose my patience with her.

I smirked at my own stupidity. I was probably making her out to be someone she was not, was thinking she could do no wrong just because I was so hopelessly in love with her and had been for such a long time.

"Thanks for being there for me, Broots," she said and smiled up at me to which I could only reply with a nod that felt forced and awkward.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You look a little scared."

"No, I'm…" I fully turned towards her quickly sliding my hand off her middle. "I… Miss Parker, I…"

She looked at me expectantly, as if she had no idea what would be next.

"I just…" Please, I begged god to send anything to make me stop, to keep me from saying what had been inevitable for years.

"Broots? No need to stutter. Whatever you say, I'll not kill you." Her amusement at my clumsiness was the last straw and somehow pushed me over the edge.

"I love you." Blurting it out felt as good as it felt horrible, but unfortunately I was unable to stop myself and I didn't know what I was doing until I felt her soft, slightly parted lips under mine.

"You must be kidding me!"

Jarod

I stood in the doorway to the living-room, my sleeping daughter in my arms and what I saw made me nauseous. Broots had gently grabbed my wife's face with both hands and had just pressed his lips to hers. It wasn't obvious from what I could see, whether she was about to resist or not. Still, even if she was, she should have been able to see this coming. We all had.

Broots paled and jumped off the couch while my wife remained with a puzzled look on her face, touching her lips.

"Get out of here!" I growled at Broots which caused Sammy to stir in my arms.

"Mommy?" she asked sleepily and Parker quickly rose to take the child into her arms. Although I didn't like the fact that she was lifting a five year old in her condition, I handed her over.

Contrary to what I had believed, Broots was standing his ground instead of leaving in an embarrassed hurry.

"Listen, Jarod!" he told me in a surprisingly firm voice that didn't seem to match the man who had once tried to defend himself against his alleged attacker – me – with a spoon.

"I knew it was wrong to kiss your wife, but you know what? She certainly deserves better than someone like you who can't see her for who she is. Someone who is so blinded by his desire for his own happiness, that he can't see beyond the façade. Your sister provoked Miss Parker in every possible way and you didn't even notice! I am not sorry for being there for her."

And with that, he finally left.

I turned to Parker who was still holding Sammy and my glare was met with a dark stare.

"Don't you say anything," she said, her voice as deep a growl as it used to be at the Centre.

To be continued…