Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000168 EndHTML:0000013026 StartFragment:0000000468 EndFragment:0000013009

One week later, the unexpected happened

Joseph was sleeping heavily after swallowing a couple of pills. His guilty state of mind kept him from sleeping but his body was beginning to show some weakness. A few extra pills to his regular dosage knocked him out cold and gave him the rest he so badly needed.

It was probably because of that extra dosage that he didn’t hear Catherine’s weeping, until the feeling of wet sheets registered in his brain.

Joseph woke up and turned the bedside lamp on. His wife was in shock, trembling. He tried to hug her but she pushed him away.

Honey, what’s wrong?”

She didn’t answer, so Joseph got up and went to her bedside. He put his hand on her hair and rubbed her head lightly. No reaction.

Carefully, he pulled the sheets back and the stain of blood told him all he needed to know. He fell down on his knees and started to cry. He felt bad about his children, but the biggest reason for his discomfort was is inner joy for no longer having to choose between the two of them.


------//-----


Catherine’s miscarriage brought some comfort to Joseph. It had been a natural loss, something he was not responsible for. Purposefully or not, he had fulfilled his part of the request. The job was his. He felt bad about it, but tried to look at things in a positive way. Maybe it was God’s way of saving him from choosing and, at the same time, granting him what he needed.

Only, Joseph no longer cared about the job; now that the job was practically his, what he really cared about was his family. They were the ones that mattered, not The Centre; except the rational part of him kept saying that this was an opportunity not to be wasted. Always look on the bright side of life.

But there’s nothing bright about losing your children.


------//-----


Another week went by without anything worth registering. Joseph and Catherine had taken a few days off and the situation at The Centre was still pretty much the same; although there had been rumors of a new investment made by a financial conglomerate known only as The Triumvirate.

After what happened to Catherine, Joseph believed that when he returned to The Centre he would return as the new Chairman.

He was wrong.

His return, or rather his pre-return, happened in the form of an intimacy letter issued by The Tower. They required his presence at a meeting to take place the next day. Missing such appointment was unacceptable.


------//-----


Inside the meeting room, the Director and Martin Lemming occupied two of the present four chairs. Joseph entered the room and greeted both with a nod, while noticing the two folders placed under the Director’s arm.

No one said a word.

Joseph simply assumed they were going to wait for the remaining person to arrive.

A minute later, the door opened and William Raines. He went to his chair and sat, never wasting time with little nuisances, like politeness.

Good morning, gentlemen. Thank you for being here.” He turned to Joseph slightly. “Joseph, I understand this is probably not the best time for having this meeting, so we will try to finish this as quickly as possible. I assure you both, that this is a matter of the most extreme urgency and delicacy.

As you know, we have no new Chairman yet,” the Director continued. “For the past weeks, I have been overseeing The Centre’s activities but there are some issues that only the real Chairman has the authority to decide. And those decisions need to be made.

After discussing this matter with Mr. Lemming we came up with a temporary solution and decided to contact the two possible new Chairmen.” He paused as if anticipating.

How did you know about that?”

Your father told me,” he answered, looking to both of them.

He knew.

I thought only Mr. Lemming knew about it.”

I didn’t know I knew. That was why he hesitated at first about trusting me; but after we realized we were on the same level of information, things became much easier,” the Director said. “Mr. Lemming.”

Thank you. Gentlemen, I will waste no time with trivialities;” Martin said, “Edmund was my friend so the faster we handle this, the better.” He turned to Joseph, without diverting his attention from Raines. “Though undesired, this is not an unforeseen situation. As a possible Chairman you will have to be ready for all contingencies. No matter how farfetched they seem. Your father was. There were a few minor adjustments to be made but the basic solution had been designed by your father a few years ago,” he paused. “He was a remarkable and I can only wish the one to follow him will be just as good.”

For someone who doesn’t like to waste time, you’re surely wasting quite a bit,” Raines said.

Martin grinned. “You are right. Gentlemen, what I’m going to tell you next is classified. Under no circumstances is this to be divulged with anyone outside this room. Clear?”

Joseph and Raines nodded. The Director kept quiet.

Good.” Martin adjusted his seat before continuing. “Edmund’s choices in life had often been planned on word: sacrifice. The Centre was his life; he sacrificed everything for its glory so his follower would have to sacrifice just as much. Of the two of you, Mr. Raines is the only one who completely fulfilled his part of the request. You, Mr. Parker, did not. We understand this was not your fault. It was undesired, true; but like I said, not unexpected.

The loss of your children is a burden I dare not imagine, however it is not a sacrifice. This was accidental, sacrifice is intentional. If you believed we would grant you the job on a silver platter simply because of a misfortune, you better think again.”

Martin’s words made Joseph wanting to crush his face against the table, but he held his temper.

Anyway, it wasn’t your fault, it happened naturally; but because of it we have no way of knowing what your choice would be. Director.”

Thank you, Mr. Lemming. For now, you will both be appointed as Chairman. Not together, of course; each one will assume functions for a period of six months. After that you will both be evaluated.

This, however, does not convey any sacrifice. What I’m going to tell you next does.” The Director turned to Joseph. “Joseph, do you recall an operation Catherine had about seven months ago?

Joseph tried to recall it. All he could remember was it had been a minor surgery. Something in her stomach, perhaps an ulcer. Nothing much. Then it hit him.

The operation had taken place at NuGenesis. A few days later Catherine found out she was pregnant.

Yes. What’re you saying?”

Martin answered the question. “The children you are morning are not yours.”