Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Triumvirate Headquarters

Pretoria – South Africa

Soweto had achieved the top position in Triumvirate’s hierarchy quite unexpectedly. No doubt he was highly intelligent and resourceful, but he was also too young compared to his predecessors; or his companions, for that matter. Besides the fact they were at least twenty years older than him, they dreaded him for being chosen by Adama as his successor.

The Triumvirate has always consisted on three individuals – mostly men, although women have filled in the ranks from time to time. In order to achieve a better dynamic, the three come from separate continents. The idea is to expand their influence to as many areas as possible.

Soweto was at home in Pretoria. He knew his people and he knew how The Triumvirate worked inside and out, even before Anderson and Nagano came into their positions. After all, Soweto had been raised inside The Triumvirate headquarters; an orphan adopted by Mutumbo who trained him to be the best. When Mutumbo died, Adama fulfilled his predecessor’s final wish and continued to prepare Soweto to be the leader of The Triumvirate when the moment came. Soweto never knew why his fate had been so carefully determined, but he felt that the purpose of his very existence was to be where he was now.

Unlike Mutumbo or Adama whose main goal was obtaining profit, Soweto had other purposes in mind. And all of which concerned The Centre. Just an hour early he had received a mail from Mr. Raines summoning him to a private meeting. It concerned a matter of great importance and urgency.

The message told him to come alone but Soweto decided to warn his colleagues anyway. Even though as the leader he could act unreported, he felt two possible allies were always better than two sworn enemies. And knowing Mr. Raines like he did, all precautions were necessary.

*/*

The Tower

Mr. Raines’ Office

Mr. Raines was lying on the floor trying to save his air. His oxygen tank was almost empty and chances of getting a new one were none. This was the end and he knew it. He would suffocate to death.

He looked up to his desk, where Alex was now sitting with a smile planted on his face. Alex had promised to be merciful if he sent a message to The Triumvirate’s leader. He did as told based on a stupid sense of hope. Alex wouldn’t never let him live – that much was set from the beginning – what he really hoped was a quick and painless death. Of course, being true to his character, Alex decided to do the exact opposite: he provided Mr. Raines with a slow and painful death.

Mr. Raines was beat up slowly, so slowly he could almost hear Alex’s arm ripping the air. Blow after blow, Mr. Raines felt for the first time since his childhood what it felt to be on the other side. Both his eyes were swollen; his legs and arms broken, leaving him immobile; several ribs were broken – which made the breathing more difficult. Still, he felt like he needed to speak.

Your plan won’t work, Alex.”

Oh, yeah? And why is that?”

Soweto will not come along. Mutumbo and Adama trained him well. He is too smart to come alone.”

I know Soweto better than you. He spent a lot of time together. For instance, there are things about The Centre only he and I know. I know how smart he is. I also know he will invite the other members to join him, despite the fact the invitation was sent to him only. He will think of it as… a gesture of good will. He’s going against your request to be on their good side.”

You’re setting them up.”

The Triumvirate is the last obstacle. Once I remove them from my path there will be no stopping me.”

You think you can destroy The Triumvirate?”

Alex smiled. “I spent too many years with them, and Soweto for that matter. Look at where I am now, Raines. I’ve taken control of The Centre, I’ve killed Lyle and neutralized Jarod. Believe me. My moment of glory is about to come and there is no one capable of stopping me.”

*/*

Sydney had lived through some bad moments. Life had taught him from a very early age to be prepared for anything. He survived Dachau, he survived The Centre – he even survived his guilt. He felt like he was ready to face anything.

But not this.

Your what?” Sydney asked dumbstruck.

My son. And your grandson.”

My grandson?”

Miss Parker sighed. “Syd, let’s face. Even if Raines is my father – let’s hope not! – I would never let him get near my son.”

I don’t understand. You were never pregnant. How can you possibly have a child?”

I didn’t carry it. But I helped bringing him to life.”

Then he knew. There was only one child living at The Centre at the time, a child whose mother had died during labor. It was too much coincidence to be just a coincidence.

My God, Parker. How did you know?”

He’s been with me since he was born. I always believed it was because he was my brother. Now I know the truth.”

What about the father? Do you know him?”

I better. I’ve been chasing him for five years.”

Sydney couldn’t hide the shock or the anger from his face. “Damn them!”

Calm down, Syd.”

How can you expect me to calm down, Parker? How can YOU be so calm at a time like this?”

Losing my temper will not help me get my son. I need to keep my head clear until I have him safe.”

You’re right.”

He asked for my help, Syd.”

What do you want to do?”

First I’m gonna call Sam. I’ve been away from The Centre too long. We need an update on things.”

Why not just go back?”

I’m not taking any chances. Let’s see how things are at The Centre and then we’ll decide what to do” She took her cell phone from her purse and saw that it was off. “My battery has run out. Can I use yours?”

Sydney took his cell phone from his vest pocket and saw that he was also out of power. “Sorry.”

Just my luck” She signaled a passing waiter. “Excuse me?”

The waiter approached the table. “Yes? More coffee?”

No, thank you. We’re fine. Is there a payphone I can use?”

Ask my colleague at the counter. He will give you one.”

Thanks.”

Miss Parker got up and walked to the counter. Once the phone was at her disposal, she closed her eyes and tried to picture her son’s face. So many lost moments. Best not to think about that now. She took a deep breath, punched in Sam’s number and waited.

Where the hell are you?”

Excuse me?” She was surprised to hear Sam talking to her like that, but not enough to let it show.

I’m sorry, Miss Parker. But hell is breaking loose here and I’ve been trying to reach you for I don’t know how long and—”

Sam, calm down. What’s going on?”

We better not talk on the phone. Meet me at the Paradiso in half an hour and I’ll explain everything.”

She put the receiver down and returned to the table.

What did Sam tell you?”

He was too nervous to be coherent. It appears hell is breaking loose at The Centre. I told him to meet me at the Paradiso.”

What is that? A restaurant?”

She smiled. “Yes. A Chinese restaurant.”

Chinese?”

Yes. Sam and I call it Paradiso because the owner looks like an Italian gangster.” She chuckled briefly.

You okay?”

I will be once I have my son.”

She signaled the waiter again and asked for the check. “It’s a bit ironic, isn’t it?”

What is?”

We’re going to paradise plan an attack on hell.”

Let’s hope the gods are on our side, then.”