Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Alex entered the elevator shaft and pressed the ground level button. He checked his ammo. Seven shots left. It was more than enough. If all went according to plan he would only need one. After making sure everything was ready, he concealed the scroll inside his pocket. Soon he would claim what was rightfully his.

He doubted Dr. Gershon had kept his mouth shut about Lyle’s death. Nothing to worry about, but that being the case he would have to act quickly. He had studied his actions carefully. From where he was there was no escape route possible. The ceiling could not be moved and the shaft could not be stopped until it reached the chosen floor.

One thing about safety: there is always a failsafe. In this case, if an emergency should happen, the elevator would stop automatically. Alex knew this because he had analyzed The Centre’s elevator system; unnoticed, of course.

Alex jumped and grabbed something that was hidden on a small ledge between the roof and the shaft. It was a perfect spot. Even the janitors would leave it unattended, as the layers of dust perfectly showed. He was now holding a small electronic device with a single button. Alex waited for the elevator to reach SL-12 and pressed the button.

Instantly, an alarm went on and the elevator stopped. Darkness enveloped the elevator and the emergency lights turned on. The elevator remained stopped.

Alex opened the electronic panel and began to change some wires. He grinned, the same way Jarod used to. They could wait for him all the time they wanted—he would go right past their noses.

*/*

At the ground level, a team of three sweepers watched as the elevator resumed his motion. Apparently, it was now descending. The light stopped at SL-24.

Max, the team leader, used his radio to contact his colleagues. “Attention, Team Four. Subject is now on SL-24. I repeat subject is now on SL-14.”

*/*

A second team of sweepers arrived at SL-24 and saw the elevator’s light on. They trained their weapons on it and waited for Alex to come out.

After a while, they realized something was wrong. Kurt walked slowly and carefully to the elevator and tried to open the door. It didn’t move.

It’s not here!”

What?”

The shaft. It’s not here!”

Nick and Frank joined their team-mate. Nick pressed the open button several times, but the result was the same.

How can this be? The light is on!”

Frank took his radio from his pocket. “Subject has eluded us. He is not on SL-24. I repeat he is not on SL-24.”

Max’s voice came on, distorted. “Are you sure? The light shows---”

He probably tampered the elevator system.”

Then where the hell is he now?”

Could be anywhere for all I know. We need to search every level now.”

*/*

Inside the doctor’s office, Sydney took the leading role and explained what their intentions were. He didn’t reveal the whole story, only enough to make the tests look justifiable. The doctor offered no objections and scheduled the exams to later that afternoon. The results would be available the next day; not due to sympathy, but to a large check covered The Centre.

Sydney and Miss Parker left the building and went to the car. Sydney sat on the driver’s seat and waited for Miss Parker to close the door.

What do we do now?” he asked her.

I don’t know.”

Are you hungry?”

A bit.”

Let’s grab something then.”

Sydney turned the engine on and drove to small café near the area. Throughout the entire trip Miss Parker kept her mouth shut. Sydney decided to wait until they were sitting on a booth, with their orders already made to check upon her.

Do you feel all right, Parker?”

Miss Parker frowned. It could be possible signs of a headache or perhaps. . .

Are you hearing anything?”

Miss Parker didn’t hear Sydney’s question. Her eyes were already closed; her mind elsewhere, focused on the Voices. The two regular presences on her mind were normal, while the third continued to grow. One thing was different, though—the fourth voice was gone. She didn’t know who the fourth voice belonged to and, frankly, she felt like she shouldn’t care. Instead, she concentrated on the third voice. Maybe if she discovered who it was, she could get some answers.

Or, she feared, even more questions.

Miss Parker blinked her eyes and saw a small faceless head appearing before her.

Who are you?” she asked, a false attitude of confidence camouflaging her discomfort.

See me as I am,” the faceless answered.

As she heard the voice, she felt stunned. It was the voice of a child. But it was not just any child. She remembered that voice from the DSAs she had watched countless times since she was transferred from Corporate. It was Jarod’s voice. Almost immediately, she felt afraid of what the truth behind the identity of whoever was talking to her could bring.

Who are you?” she asked, trying to keep the anxiety in her voice well hidden.

You know.”

No, I don’t.” She tried to sound annoyed, even angry. Maybe her old Ice Queen trick could help her. “Who are you?”

Silence. Then the answer came, cryptic as possible. “Thank you.”

Although surprised, she couldn’t help asking “For what?”

For bringing me to life.”

Miss Parker gasped and watched as the small faceless head morphed to the features of her baby brother.

Oh, my God. . .”

The world around her was shaking uncontrollably. First, the discovery of Sydney being her father—though not yet confirmed, in her heart she had already assumed such—and, then, knowing that her baby brother was in fact Jarod’s son. But what was really troubling her was the feeling that these two events were not the last to be discovered. There were still more surprises yet to come. Perhaps sooner than she felt ready for.

Help daddy, mommy. Help me.”

And then she was back at the café, face to face with Sydney.

What happened, Parker? Are you alright?”

Miss Parker felt like she had woke up from a very long sleep; her vision was a blur. Slowly, she regained her senses and acknowledged where she was.

Parker?”

I’m not all right, Syd. But I will be once I return to The Centre.”

Sydney felt at least surprised to hear that, but tried to keep his standard calm face on. “Return to The Centre? Why?”

To get my son.”

*/*

He embraced the dark and the shelter it provided him. He felt others like them, floating on the ocean of black emptiness. Unlike them, however, he had a purpose to achieve. He focused on the Voice that had welcomed him when he first arrived there and listened carefully as it spoke.

She knows.”

Soon, he thought. Soon.

Jarod ignored the lack of a body or a face and smiled.