Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The question hit him like a bullet; metaphorically speaking, of course, because a bullet could have been more easily avoided. Sydney looked in her eyes and knew she wouldn't accept less than the truth.

Unfortunately, he was not in a position to say it. Not because he didn't want to—he wanted, he had his suspicions; always have had, but not enough to say yes or no. So, he decided to answer her the only way he could.

I don't know, Parker.”

Cut, the crap, Syd. For once in your life, forget about any promises you made and just tell me the truth.”

I am telling you what I can without lying.”

How's that?”

Well, your mother never told me, but I always sensed you and I were connected. Perhaps it was because of me knowing you since you were a child.”

Did you and my mother ever. . .?”

No, never. But, the first time I saw you I felt something. The same thing I felt when I saw Nicholas for the first time.”

I wish we could be more certain.”

What brought this up, anyway?”

I've been connecting some dots. For instance, I realized that the whole issue about my father being Mr. Parker or Mr. Raines could also be applied to you and Jacob.”

As soon as he heard it, Sydney knew immediately where she was going with it.

You think our samples were exchanged.”

It's a possibility.”

But how can we know for sure?”

We run a paternity test. I know a private clinic, with no connections to The Centre.”

This may turn out to be another disappointment, Parker.”

At least, it won't be a lie like anything else on my life.”

*/*

Larry heard them coming in. He acknowledged the commotion but made nothing about it. He was safe in the deepest recesses of his mind, traveling beyond the realms of his self.

He was at a library. A very extensive library. He went to a shelf and picked a book. He flipped a few pages and recognized the words instantly: they reported to the time when he first met Jacob.

From his pocket he drew a pen—he didn't know it to be there, it simply was—and considered changing the events on that book.

For a while the pen wandered over the open page, almost touching it. Finally, Larry decided to leave things as they were. Changing the past can be tempting, but it can also be dangerous.

And yet, if he had a possibility, why not use it?

He knew why. Because things could get aggravated.

Larry put the book back on the shelf and continued strolling around.

He had to find another way to help his son without jeopardizing him any further.

*/*

When Lyle came into the lab, everyone else was already in there. Larry was strapped on a gurney, next to him a blonde woman in her mid forties was checking his IV. Jarod was being held by two bulk sweepers. Alex was at a corner, smirking, with his arms crossed. A third sweeper was watching him attentively. No one or anything was holding Alex but, like the other two, Lyle knew he wouldn't go anywhere.

He had them all under his control and that felt good. So damn good.

I was almost starting to think you wouldn't show up.” Alex said, grinning.

I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Lyle walked over to Larry and looked at the chart. He turned to the woman, “What do you make of all this?”

I don't know. Everything is normal. I don't know how to explain it, but his vitals, his breathing, his pulse, even his brain waves, shows that he's awake.”

But he's not. I can see that he's asleep.”

Well, sir. . .that's the thing.” She took the chart from his hand and pointed to a red line on a graphic. “Look at this.”

Lyle watched the graphic. She proceeded to the explanation.

This is a mapping of his brain activity taken when he first arrived here, before being taken to his cell, before the accident.” She flipped a few pages and displayed a new graphic. The values were the same, but the line on this was blue. “And this was taken about fifteen minutes ago.”

They are the same.”

Yes, and that's the problem. Normally, there would be a change in activity, but not this time. There are no differences. He's both asleep and awake.”

How can this be?” He turned to Alex and Jarod. “You two geniuses have any idea?”

I have a few,” Jarod said, attracting Lyle's attention, “but they all begin and end with sticking something up your—”

One of the sweepers punched Jarod on the stomach before he could finish speaking.

You've been hanging out with my sister too much,” Lyle commented.

You know, he does have a point.” Alex said. “I mean, you were on the program too. You should be able to figure this out yourself.”

Are you saying you won't help?”

No. I'm saying I don't know how to help.”

You better think.”

*/*

Larry heard the voices. They were getting closer. Soon he would awake up. Not to worry. He was almost there.

His first intention was to change his visions from the core; in other words, to recede in the past and change the future. After reflecting about it, he realized it was something too dangerous to be attempted.

That's when he discovered something else. What he needed to do was not changing the past: he needed to change the present. And since the present is a continuation of the past, he had to go back, except now he knew how to do things right.

His plan was simple in terms of conception, not so easily graspable in execution. He would choose an A and a B point and change them, leaving everything else the way it were. It would be like rewriting the beginning and ending of a story, but leaving the middle intact.

Larry felt the scenario around him change and when he opened his eyes he was back in Jarod's lair, reading the cryptic message from CJ.

This time, however, Larry was not an observer: he was part of the show and he knew how to make things turn out differently.

He thought about alerting Jarod to the imminence of their capture, but chose not too. He knew THAT was something meant to happen in order for his son's soul to be saved. Instead, he went to his jacket, took out one of the scrolls and handed it to Jarod.

Read this.”

Are you sure?”

Hurry. We don’t have much time.”

Jarod saw the look in Larry's eyes and asked no further. He began reading and he felt the Truth emerging from within.

Just then, as expected, the door was kicked in and Lyle came in. Quickly, Larry took the scroll from Jarod's hand and tossed it into the fireplace. Reading was actually unnecessary—Jarod would simply need to glimpse at it for the words to register.

One of the sweepers rushed to the fireplace and tried to save the scroll from burning but it was too late. Larry took advantage of the moment and kicked Lyle on his crutch.

This time, Larry was not knocked out by his son.

*/*

Lyle was about to exit the lab when he felt a sharp pain on his crutch and fell down. He gasped for air.

The sweeper watching Alex rushed to him and helped him getting up.

Are you alright, sir?”

Lyle dismissed the sweeper and uttered no word—he simply looked over to Larry.

What happened?” Dr. Mitchum asked, more curious than concerned.

I don't know. But I think he's got something to do with it.”

But he didn’t do anything.”

Don’t ask me to explain it. I KNOW he did this.”

*/*

Jarod knew things were different now. Like Lyle, he knew Larry had been the one responsible for that sudden change of events. Unlike Lyle, his changes were not in the physical world.

As frustrating as it was, he didn’t know what had happened. He had the perception of things having changed, but not the knowledge of it. It was like breaking into a safe. He had the combination, but if he opened it ahead of time the inside would explode.

He had to wait for the right moment.

*/*

Alex knew that the right moment had come. The time to strike was NOW.

This is probably related to that scroll he threw in the fireplace when we burst into the cabin.”

Lyle realized what he was saying. “Yes, you're right. But how come he hadn't noticed it earlier?”

Beats me. I just thought about it now.”

Lyle walked over to Jarod. “What was on that scroll?”

Jarod grinned and then said. “It's time for each of us to assume his role, Lyle” He paused. “And you're on the losing side.”

Lyle fumed, drew his gun from his holster and fired a single shot.

Dr. Mitchum's coat was splashed by the sudden burst of Larry's head. Lyle aimed the gun at Jarod.

Tell me.”

Jarod was furious, but his demeanor didn’t show it.

I said, tell me.”

Alex cleared his throat and Lyle looked back. It was exactly what Jarod needed. He kicked Lyle on his hand and the gun flew away, landing right next to Alex.

They all watched as Alex picked up the gun and stared at it, his eyes gleaming with anticipation.

Lyle turned to Alex and was about to speak when Alex fired two deadly shots, killing Dr. Mitchum and one of the sweepers. Before anyone could do anything, the gun was aiming at Lyle.

What the hell are you doing, Alex?”

Seizing power. I'm the one supposed to be in control—not you. I'm only playing my role. Nothing personal”

Alex squeezed the trigger and Lyle's world ceased to exist.