Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the wait guys, been busy with school work grrr. Thanks to all those who gave us feedback, love it! Thanks!!

 


It had been a month or so since his father had acquired the new meat and Lyle had ignored the slightly older boy as much as he could. Those peasants were far beneath him, and Lyle thought they were nothing good for them but to clean after him. His sister had kept trying to get to him, and Lyle did not understand why. He was nothing, a fleck of dirt on the floor. He had told his sister to stay way from the urchin, that she wasn't to even think about seeing him, but his sister was persistent, and Lyle was sure sooner or later she would see the boy. Walking to the door that led into the library and classrooms, as well as a few sleeping quarters, he waited as the guard opened them for him. He had a lesson in a few moments and Sydney would have his hide if he were late.

Jarod walked into the room nervously. Sydney had told him he was to help with the classes now since he would be taking over some of Sydney's teaching duties soon. He had his dictio book under his arm, safely secured in a sturdy portfolio, just in case he found new words to add to it. Once he had put a word in, he never had to look it up again, always remembering what he had learnt. Sydney had encouraged him to continue with compiling the book though as it was proving to be a very useful reference. Since his arrival here, and working under Sydney, Jarod had learnt more and read more in the few weeks than he had the entire time in the monastery. In many ways he loved it here, he only wished that he didn’t feel so lonely all of the time. Sydney was kind and very patient with him, but always so distant and Jarod yearned for some real company, someone to really talk to. Sometimes he thought of Sydney as his father and he had to stop himself from wishing that he could be since his real father was gone. It felt like a betrayal. Sydney understood him though and took joy in his learning and teaching him everything he could and Jarod didn’t have to fear being ridiculed for asking questions any more.

Walking into his room, Lyle frowned as he noticed the servant in there and no Sydney as of yet. Eyeing the boy off, Lyle huffed and turned his nose up at him before sitting down at his desk, looking over his Latin notes from the last lesson.

Jarod wished desperately for Sydney to hurry up so that he could tell him what to do to begin. He put his book down and fidgeted a little in the corner, sneaking glances at Lord Lyle. When he had first seen him, his heart had leapt. The boy was smart and about the same age and he thought that they might be friends. Very quickly though he knew that wasn’t going to happen. Lord Lyle didn’t like him at all and he didn’t know why. In fact, Lord Lyle went out of his way to be mean and intimidate Jarod for no reason at all.

Lyle turned around in his as the boy kept fidgeting, seeing it from the corner of his eyes. "Stop that!” He snapped at him. Did the boy not know he had to be still and quiet in his presence? What was Sydney doing with him? Teaching him to dance instead of his manners?

"I was just getting the papers ready," Jarod defended himself. He liked Sydney, but Sydney was always about the work, and Jarod didn't mind that at all, but he wished he had someone to talk to. He remember the girl he had met on the first day and he hadn't seen her since, only a brief glance sometimes when he went into the main hall, but he was working. Then he had met this boy and he knew almost straight away that it wasn’t going to happen and that made him sad. He didn’t understand why the boy didn’t like him.

Lyle arched a single eyebrow at him and stood up. Lyle knew he was young still, too young to do anything but his studies, but he wasn't so young to know that servants do not backchat and especially to him. Moving over to him, Lyle slapped the boy hard across the face. "How dare you speak to your Lord in such a manner boy?” He said in his most deepest, angriest, scariest voice. He sounded nothing like his father could, but thought he sounded pretty nasty for how little he was.

Jarod looked at him in shock, his eyes filling with tears. His cheek stung, but it was more the shock of it that upset him. His hand went up to touch his cheek gingerly, hardly believing the boy could do that to him. He wanted so badly to be his friend. As he touched his stinging cheek and looked into the boys ice cold eyes, the realisation hit him that nothing he ever did was going to make him like him.

"Stop fidgeting and don't you dare cry. Only babies cry, not servants. Now leave me!" Lyle ordered. The only times Lyle even tolerated servants was when they brought his food and changed his chamber pot.

Jarod looked at him through great tears pooling in his eyes. He couldn't leave, Sydney had said he had to be here and if he left he would be in trouble. He let his hands drop to his sides and he looked at Lyle, a spark of defiance growing in him. He didn't tell him what to do, Sydney did. He was here to help Lyle, he was the one to show him what to do.

When the boy didn't move, Lyle frowned deeply, pulling a face only a child could and slapped him hard again, leaving a big red welt in the shape of Lyle's hand on his cheek. "I am your lord, I own you. Now leave!" He ordered again, angry and upset the boy wasn’t doing as he told him, all the other servants did.

"Ahhhh," Jarod cried out in pain, his head rocking to the side under the force of the blow, the tears falling now. He wanted to fight back, this wasn't right and he looked up at the boy defiantly. "Sydney said I have to stay here.” He whispered. His voice sounded weak and small even to his own ears. No matter how he tried, he could never be as strong and mean as Lyle could.

"And Sydney works for my father, and I am the heir to my father's empire so you do as I say when I say, not Sydney." Lyle explained to him and when he didn't move, Lyle slapped him again on the same cheek, this time his lip splitting from all the blows. "I do not like you, you don't listen to me, now get out of my sight. I don't know why my sister is even interested in you servant." Lyle turned his lip up. Once the boy left, Lyle could get back to his studies and forget about him, but he wasn't leaving. He was so rude.

Jarod looked at him for a moment longer, his bleeding lip trembling as the tears started to flow. He wanted so badly to fight back, to hit him back and hurt him but he knew he couldn't do it. So instead, he ran out of the room. Afraid to go too far, he sunk down by the door and cried, waiting for Sydney to come. All last hopes of his grand friendship with this boy now dashed irrevocably.

Lyle nodded his head in satisfaction as the boy finally left. Took him long enough to catch on to what Lyle said he wanted. Turning, he moved back to his seat and sat down and started going over his work again, ready for when Sydney came him to teach him his Latin.