Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chap. 4


The following Saturday night, the three men gathered once again in the loft apartment. The time they'd shared in the previous seven days had formed a deep bond of trust among them and, as they drew closer, Jim finally felt comfortable enough to give Jarod a demonstration of what he could do. Standing beside Jarod on the roof, Jim had stunned the younger man with the range of his senses and the control he could exert over them.

His time with Blair had been more limited, but they had grown even more in tune with each other than Jarod and Jim had, despite the younger man's constant attempts to drag out of Jarod the secret he was guarding.

Now, two days later, Jim sat on the far end of the couch, a pillow in his lap, and Blair's head on the pillow. Blair was once again deeply under hypnosis and, as before, had been conditioned to responded to both men's voices so that no time would be wasted if he needed to be awakened quickly. Jim had laid one hand on Blair's forehead; the other grasped his guide's left hand tightly. His own apprehension drawing the muscles of his shoulders and neck into tight achy bands, he rolled his shoulders a little as Jarod reaffirmed his instructions.

"Okay. Remember, Blair. No matter what you see or hear or experience, you're to remain as detached as you can. The images and sounds are memory, they can't hurt you anymore."

"Fly on the wall mode."

"Right. Very good. Let's come out of your safe space, now. You're nowhere at the moment, surrounded by nothing, suspended in mid-air. Can you feel that sensation?"

"Yeah. It's... strange."

"I know. You'll be alright in a moment. Now, slowly allow the memory to reconstruct itself around you. Slowly... slowly. When it's complete, it will begin to play itself out. You have the remote control in your hands. If you need to you can pause, rewind, fast-forward, whatever you choose to do."

"Okay. I... I think it's ready."

"Good. Look down and hit the play button and describe the scene to me as best you can."

For a moment, Blair's breathing sped up, but a few seconds of Jim stroking gently across his forehead and down his cheeks was all it took to calm him. Soon after, Blair began to speak.

"The poor kid... he's nothin' but a baby and they got him locked down to a steel table with four-point restraints... like he's a psychotic. He's so scared. His eyes are almost all white, like horses when they go crazy, but the edges are red... Of course he's been cryin'. There are guys in lab coats everywhere... like a nest of maggots... the jackasses are just ignoring him, like he's a test tube or... or a Bunsen burner instead of a kid. The only real light is over the table, but I can just see two guys in a far corner talking. Wait... something's happening at the door, way off... someone... a woman is trying to get in... but they won't let her. Damn. Hearing a female voice has got the kid crying again... the two that were already near there take her out and slam the door. I need to rewind and change the focus."

"You have the controls. Do it."

"Okay. There... right there. Now up on the volume a little... that's better."

"You're focusing on the two men all by themselves?"

"Yes."

"If you can, give me every word you hear them say. Verbatim."

Tilting his head as if listening intently, Blair looked slightly toward the back of the couch as he spoke for one man, slightly out into the room for the other. His eerily accurate reproduction of both voices chilled Jarod to his core, and the Pretender had a difficult time not blocking his ears or running out of the loft.


// 'No. I won't believe it until I have incontrovertible proof. This is the only way to get that proof.'

'You have no right to do this. I won't let you destroy him...'

'He may be your find Jacob, but this is my area of research. A little pain won't damage the boy permanently, and we'll have the confirmation we need.'

'If you know so much about empaths, then you should understand how fragile he is. At this age his ability is hardly formed...'

'But it does exist... or so you say. I won't go forward with him until I know for certain whether he is an empath, or whether you've deluded yourself once again.'

'You go forward?! If he is a natural empath, you're not getting your filthy hands on him. God only knows what that sick mind of yours could conjure up... I'll see you dead first.'

'God doesn't live here, doctor. This place intimidates even him. The Triumvirate has already given me carte blanche with the boy.'

'That will change very quickly when I remind them of your failure with Timmy. Or perhaps I should reveal a few other pertinent facts I'm sure you'd rather they not learn. You won't touch this child, Raines, I swear by all... What? It's Catherine. How did she...'

'The same way she always does. She can't be allowed to disturb the test.'

'I'll go.'

'We'll both go...' //


"You did well, Blair. Time to back away and refocus on the little boy. Got it?"

"Yes."

Abruptly, silent tears began to slip down Blair's cheeks. "No... make 'em stop that... It's 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', man... Make them stop!"

"What are you seeing, Blair? I don't understand."

"Electricity, damn it! They're about to fry that sweet little kid! They've got electrodes on his face, his hands... all over him... God, no! You have to make it stop..."

"You're alright, Blair. Come out to the blue room. Find the light blue room. Go there and take a rest for a while. Good. Breathe easy."

Jim brought Blair back up through the levels slowly, easing him back into normal awareness of the world around him. Blinking in the sudden resurgence of daylight, Blair raised his free hand to swipe the tears away and turned onto his side. Jim took the free hand as well, ignoring the dampness, wanting beyond anything else to comfort Blair, but knowing there really wasn't much he could do this time.

"That boy... it was me. That was me... How could they do that? What kind of sick, monstrous bastards would electro-shock a four year old child, especially one they suspected was..."

The true revelation of the day finally hitting him full-force, Blair popped up to a sitting position, a thousand watt smile transforming his features. As he spoke, he jumped from the couch and began to leap and dance, laughing madly. "Oh... oh, my God. Kyle, man... This is what you wouldn't tell me! It is, right? I have a gift. Oh boy, do I have a gift! Better than Christmas and my birthday put together!"

"Chief... Chief! Will you cool it for a minute and explain why you're hopping around like a rabbit and chattering like a squirrel?"

With effort Blair held still, though his smile never abated and his entire body quivered with his excitement.

"Don't you see, Jim? I'm an empath! It explains everything; why we found each other, our connection... I really am meant to be your guide. I must be. I'm supposed to be here!"

When Blair resumed his gyrations of joy, Jim gave up trying to communicate with him and turned, instead, to Jarod.

"Okay. What's an... empath?"

"A very special, very rare person who knows what other people are feeling and can either reflect that back or reflect back what the person needs to feel. The other afternoon, here on the couch with Blair... I was very angry and upset. I can't stand knowing anyone else has endured what I have. Suddenly, this wave of peace and happiness just... crashed over me. It was only a moment... but it lasted days. If I concentrate, I can still feel a tiny tingle of it. Blair is a natural empath... and a very strong one, all the stronger for not being aware of what he's doing or how."

Blair walked back to the couch and resumed his place between Jim and Jarod, tilting his head slightly in curiosity.

"Say that again."

"You're a very strong empath, Blair, but your ability is unconscious. You don't know you're doing it. Maybe, because it was allowed to grow out of your natural caring and concern for others and wasn't forced to develop artificially... I'm not sure. There's so much I don't know..."

"But do you think it's something I can work on and make better now that I know?"

"No. I'd have to guess that would backfire. Just... I don't know, keep your heart open, to strangers, to friends and I think your gift will get stronger and stronger. It might even develop into a healing ability someday. You'll just have to wait and see."

"Healing?! Wow! You really think so? That is so amazing! I can't believe all this is actually happening! It's all real and I'm really an empath and..."

"Chief. Take a breath before you pass out and nosedive into the coffee table. This... group you're putting together, Kyle. What exactly are you asking?"

"A great deal. I need friends who are willing to help people, the way I do. Do I hear interest?"

"I'm still listening. How do you choose the ones you help?"

"I watch the papers, the T.V. news... you just know. The hairs on the back of your neck stand up, or your stomach tightens suddenly. That's the one I investigate."

"And?"

"If I find something genuinely wrong, I use whatever resources I have to make it right."

"Yeah, but you've got some pretty considerable resources."

Smiling, Jarod one-upped Jim deftly.

"So do you."

For a long time, Jim simply studied Jarod's eyes and his world-weary face. Eventually, all his doubts and questions dissolved in the face of what he realized this incredible young man had taken on.

"You've got your first recruit. Chief?"

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Yeah, absolutely. I'm in."

"Thank you, both. You won't regret this. I promise you that."

"I know." Blair intoned softly, his eyes closing as he released Jim's grip and reached out to take Jarod's hands instead. Within moments, he began to cry again, his face twisting and head bowing with the weight of the sudden knowledge before he was able break the contact. Laying one hand along Jarod's cheek, Blair studied him soberly.

"How do you live with that, man? How do you... keep it together? Nobody should have to carry pain like that. If you want me to try, I can... take it away... at least I think so..."

Lifting Blair's fingers away from his skin, Jarod smiled grimly as he folded the smaller hands within his own.

"No. You have your own burdens to shoulder. I've carried mine this long, a little longer won't make a difference. You should head to bed, Blair. You need rest. You've been through a tremendous amount of stress in the past week and a half." Jarod suggested, knowing it would be either ignored or rejected out of hand in favor of a celebration.

"Sleep? You have got to be kidding! I am way too wired to sleep right now..."

"I thought as much. I had to try. Pizza, beer and rented horror movies?"

"Now, you're talkin'! You will stay one more night?"

"If you don't mind. Jim?"

"No. Stay." he said, turning away to head up the stairs to his bedroom.

When he realized he'd almost grown used to Jim's reticence, Jarod chuckled, grabbed Blair and their coats and left to get the necessities for the party.

((((((((((((((

TWO WEEKS LATER

'You've got mail.'

At the signal from his laptop computer, Jarod laid down the candidates list he'd been studying, stretched out a hand and opened the new message. Expecting an update from Blair, he was surprised to see Jim's name in the subject line.

// Kyle,
Just wanted to touch base. I'm not much on this techie stuff, but it's easier than talking and I guess I understand it okay. Blair remembered more since you left. The nightmares are getting worse, but we're working through it together, the way we do everything.

I wanted to thank you for keeping that little... well, keeping it between us. I thought Sandburg always knew he was supposed to be my guide and all. What he said... I know, you knew how much that threw me. Thanks for keeping my tough guy rep in tact.

About the mission thing? I already heard of a case where maybe Blair and I could help. You were so right. Out of the three or four possibles I was looking at... when I saw this one on the news, my whole body was charged, like with static electricity. I knew. It was a little eerie.

Blair says to say hi and thanks for what you did for him. He also says (hang on. He's dictating over running water while he does dishes and I can't hear) He says even with the scream dreams as he calls them, he's better off knowing the truth.

I think so too. I also think this is going to be an amazing adventure for the Chief and me. We're already closer than ever, and I never believed that could be. You gave us both a great gift.
Best of it and look forward to
hearing from you,
Jim Ellison //

A tiny smile just touching his lips, Jarod saved the message in the same file where Sydney's were stored, closed the program and the computer. Retrieving the list, he checked off Jim's name at the top, added Blair's and starred them before his eyes moved to the next candidate on the list. No first name. Shrugging, he pulled out his maps to plan his route to Minnesota. He assumed the first name would turn up in further research. Everyone had a first name, didn't they?