Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Somewhere out in the Atlantic
Saturday October 23

Lyle slowly opened his eyes as he regained consciousness. He sat up on the bed surprised that handcuffs did not restrain him. He inspected the room he was in at which he finally realized that he was on a boat as he adjusted his walk to the rocking of the boat. Lyle was even more surprised when he found that the door to his room was not locked. As he left the room he paused, debating whether or not he should go exploring- he didn't know what he would risk by doing that. Reasoning that the door was not locked for a reason he decided to continue on and learn more. Once he reached the deck he was blinded by the bright light, and then amazed by the expanse of water that lay all around them.

Steve who was up on the pilot's deck saw Lyle exit the cabin, and waited for Lyle to look up and see him. When Lyle finally looked around the boat and saw Steve in the pilot deck he froze, not knowing what exactly to do. Steve stared at Lyle momentarily before motioning him to come up.

By the time Lyle reached the upper deck he was utterly confused, none of this was making sense. When he got up there he waited in silence, waiting for the other man to say something. After ten minutes of silence Lyle couldn't take it anymore, "Who are you? And what's going on?"

"I'm a friend of a friend, and we're going on a little trip."

"Where?"

"To an island."

Lyle was getting tired of the short answers and so anxiously pressed his 'kidnapper'. "Look, what am I doing here? Why did Jarod want me here?!?!"

Steve couldn't help but smile at Lyle's outburst. "Jarod thought you needed a little break from the Centre, at his island, with Simone."

Lyle jumped at mention of his daughter, "I get to see Simone?" Lyle was shocked, he had been waiting so long for this moment that he couldn't believe it.

"Yes."

"Oh my God! I get Simone back."

"I didn't say you get Simone back. You have the opportunity to spend the next fifteen days with Simone. At the end of that time someone else will make the decision on whether or not you take Simone back. Don't argue this point with me; Jarod set it up. Of course there are rules for this supervised visit." Lyle nodded his head, not surprised by the limitations. "First, you don't ask Simone about her guardian or where she is living. You accept whatever information we give you and you don't ask for anything more. If she asks you about where you've been you tell her the same thing when you talked to her in the video call. She's been prepared for this meeting so it shouldn't be a problem. Second, you will be confined to the house and the beach front immediately in front of it in addition to 100 yards of beach in either direction. Do not go beyond these boundaries. Third…."

-----

Lyle and Steve were walking from the dock towards the house carrying supplies when Lyle looked out at the water and saw two people swimming back into shore. Once they had exited the water Lyle saw that Simone was one of them, he ran towards her and dropped his stuff as he scooped her up in a tight embrace. As they held onto each other Emily proceeded to finish drying herself off and then walk over to Steve and the discarded objects. They watched momentarily before heading up to the house leaving the reunited family alone on the beach.

"I take it everything went according to plan."

"Yeah, it's crazy how Jarod knew that if Lyle was going to make his move, it would be on Friday. And there weren't any problems with him, once he knew I was with Jarod he chilled out."

"How's Miss Parker doing?"

"She's all right I guess. She's worried about Jarod of course. But the updates from Angelo she's getting are helping her. It seems like they are taking it easy on him so far and are buying the amnesia story. Where's Broots?"

"He's in the other house. He didn't want to come out and show himself to Lyle until Jarod showed up. Does Carl know the rules?"

"Yeah we went over them in the boat, I don't think we have anything to worry about from him."

"I hope not." Lyle and Simone came into the house looking for their hosts. They found them in the kitchen, Lyle was initially glad and also uncomfortable that Emily was there. "Uh, hi."

Emily calmly replied, "hello. Simone why don't you give your dad a tour of the house and show him his room? And then later, around 12.30 come on back for lunch okay."

"Okay Emily. Come on daddy!" Simone cheerily replied as she dragged her father after her.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wednesday, October 27
10:00 PM

Lyle was startled from his sleep by a loud noise from outside. He realized that he must have fallen asleep on the couch, and that Simone had put herself to sleep. He got up to take a look and as he was looking through one of the windows he saw some figures moving in the dark, heading toward a dim light deeper into the island vegetation. Intrigued by the motion and light he headed outside to investigate.

As he walked to the light and the second house he unknowingly set off a sensor letting the second house know that he was coming. When he was five feet from the entrance of the second house, he heard someone behind him, "Get down on the ground now!"

Lyle turned around to find a gun and flashlight pointed at him. From behind him near the house he heard another voice then, "Come on, get down now!" Turning between the two individuals confused he hesitated going down until he saw a third person aiming at him. He then slowly lowered himself to the ground confused as to what was happening. "Put your hands on your head!" As he did what he was told he could feel the group closing in on him. "I thought you told him the rules!"

"I did! I don't know what the hell he is doing."

Below them Lyle realized what he had done, he had gone outside of the boundaries they had set for him. As he realized this he became scared for his daughter and what would happen to him. He began to speak and get up, "Oh my God! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! It was an acc-"

"Shut up!" Steve yelled at him as he kicked him back down and placed his foot on the back of Lyle's neck. "Not another word from you."

"Wait please it was-"

Again Steve pushed down on Lyle's prone body. "Lyle you're pushing it! Do you have any tape in there?"

Broots rushed into the house and returned with a roll of duct tape. "We gotta keep him quiet and get him out of here, I don't want Debbie to see this." He then proceeded to silence a protesting Lyle and then tie his hands behind his back and his feet together. Once he was bound they dragged his protesting body off to the side of the house while Broots went in to send Debbie to watch over Simone. The three then carried Lyle's squirming body to the boat as he kept trying to communicate through the gag. Once they had him in the berth down below they proceeded to tie him to a chair. Lyle kept attempting to plead with them to hear him out, he then decided to focus on Emily thinking he would get the most sympathy from her. Steve, Broots and Emily then discussed his fate in front of him to his horror learning that they were going to send him back to shore and that Jarod would be notified-and Lyle would lose his chance of ever being reunited with his daughter.

"Let me talk to him for a second alone. I want to hear what he has to say."

"Why waste your time Emily? He'll only lie. He knew the rules."

"Nevertheless, I want to hear what he has to say." Steve and Broots shrugged their shoulders and headed outside. Lyle was relieved to find that he would have a chance. Once the others had left and Lyle had calmed down, Emily walked over to him and removed the gag. As soon as it was removed Lyle tried to speak and explain himself, however he was cut short by Emily's hand that paused him while she got situated in a chair across from him. "What were you doing outside of the house?"

Lyle recounted the events leading up to the unfortunate incident. "…Please I swear I didn't mean to. It was an accident, I was groggy and I forgot. You can't take me from here. I promised Simone that we would take her out on the boat!"

"You should have thought of that before you left the house."

"I know, I'm sorry. Please I can't break this promise to Simone. I can't lose her, not now!"

"Look Lyle you need to realize that every action you take has an effect on Simone. That's what being a loving parent is all about, putting your daughter before yourself. And if that's what you were trying to show Jarod, that you had indeed changed, then you have failed miserably!"

"I know, but please give me another chance," he pleaded with her as tears started to form in his eyes. "I'll do anything please!"

"You can't even follow a few simple rules." Emily was exhausted, but for some reason she felt that Lyle was telling the truth, that he hadn't meant to cross the boundaries. "You'll be spending the night out here so keep it quiet. We'll be back in the morning."

"Please, what's going to happen to me and Simone?"

"We'll tell you in the morning," and with that she left the berth in search of her co-conspirators to discuss his fate.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thursday, October 28
8:00 AM

Emily opened the door and entered with a tray of food that she set on the table in the room. She then turned to Lyle and spoke, "we've decided to not take you back to the mainland. But you will spend the entire day out here on the boat alone, in this room." She then approached Lyle and started to untie him, but placing his hands in handcuffs. "You're going to talk to Simone and tell her why you are here and why she can't see you. Someone will be by later with some lunch. You will not leave this room nor attempt anything. Remember everything you do has an affect on Simone. If you want her back as much as you say you do, then you need to show some restraint and what you are willing to sacrifice."

"I will, I promise. What are you going to tell Jarod?"

"That's between you and him. We're not going to tell him anything right now. However, if you fall out of line again, we will tell him and we won't hesitate to separate you from Simone to protect her."

"I won't give you a reason to. Thank you Emily."

Emily turned to leave and when she was at the door, she turned back, "you're welcome."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sunday, October 31
1:00 PM

Lyle was walking into the house to notify them of the approaching boat when Emily, Steve, and Broots ran into him as they headed outside. "Uh, there's a boat approaching."

"Yeah, it's Jarod."

Lyle paused and swallowed the lump in his throat before following the others towards the dock to greet Jarod. Lyle watched as Jarod eagerly greeted his team and then head over to him. "Jarod I – "

"We'll talk later, alone." Jarod told him icily.

As Lyle listened to Jarod's tone, he became scared. 'What if they told him?' "Okay."

-----

Jarod walked into Simone's room to find Lyle and Simone sitting at a table leaning over some artwork and talking. When Simone saw Jarod she jumped from her chair and went running over to him, "Jarod! I've missed you!" As Lyle saw this display, he realized what he had missed out on.

"Hey Simone! How are you? Are you having fun with your dad?"

"Uh huh! We went out on the boat yesterday, it was amazing! We even saw some dolphins!"

"Really? That is pretty amazing. Simone I need to talk to your dad for a bit okay?"

"Okay Jarod. I'll see you at dinner right?"

"You bet ya!" He then set her down and looked at Lyle, "Lyle."

Lyle slowly got up from his chair and headed towards Jarod and Simone. When he was in front of Simone he bent down to hug and kiss Simone. "I love you so much sweetie!"

"I love you too Daddy!"

Lyle then got up and followed Jarod out of the room and into the office. Jarod motioned for Lyle to sit in one of the chairs in front of the desk that Jarod leaned against. Jarod watched Lyle as he awkwardly looked from his hands to Jarod and back. After an uncomfortable few minutes Lyle spoke, "Thank you Jarod. You don't know how much this means to me."

"I think I do Lyle. I still don't like you, but you have shown me what you are and what you are willing to become."

Lyle debated whether or not to tell Jarod the truth. "I've learned so much, that everything I do has an impact on Simone."

"I'm glad you've come to realize that. I hope you'll always remember that when you get her back."

Lyle closed his eyes in joy as he realized that Simone would be his again. However the debate continued on his mind. He would have to take a chance. "Jarod, I have to tell you something." He paused and looked at Jarod before continuing. "On Wednesday night I did something stupid. I accidentally went beyond the boundaries you had set up for me. It was an honest mistake Jarod, I swear." As he finished, Lyle regretted telling Jarod as he saw the anger grow in his face. He then walked to the door and called Emily in.

"Emily, what happened on Wednesday night?"

"Nothing, why?"

"He told me about Wednesday. Why didn't you guys take him back to the mainland?"

Emily then looked over at Lyle's hunched figure and heard his silent sobs. "Lyle, I didn't think you had it in you to tell him." She then turned to Jarod, "Because I believed him when he said it was an accident. We didn't tell you because we had seen him with Simone. He really does love her. He wouldn't have left the house intentionally. I told him that it was between him and you. Jarod, I don't know who he was before I got here, but that man over there really does care for his daughter."

"Thanks Emily. I'll see you at lunch."

Emily turned to exit, "Jarod listen to him."

Jarod then went back into the room and sat at the desk looking across the desk watching Lyle. "Why'd you tell me?"

"Because I couldn't hide it from you. If you found out later, then I figured you'd be even angrier, and I'd lose everything. I took a chance. Please Jarod, don't take me away from her."

Jarod leaned back in the chair staring at Lyle. After a long pause he finally spoke. "Simone is a pretender, or at least she has the capabilities of one."

"What? She's a pretender?"

"I noticed it a year ago, and then I tested her and it proved my suspicions." Lyle was shocked by the news and didn't know how to respond. "We've spoken with her and told her that she has to hide her special talents, that she has to pretend to be like any other child."

"Why?" Lyle asked before looking at Jarod and seeing the rhetorical expression on his face. "The Centre… Why are you telling me this?"

"Because you have a choice to make Lyle."

"What choice?"

"Two options. Simone can go home with you. Or she stays with her present guardians who'll protect her. If she goes with you she'll be very close to the Centre. They may want to test her and observe her, see if she has pretender potential, they may not. Remember you were one of the red files. If they know what we know they'll take her from you and use her. You may be compelled to then have her play down her abilities, in which case without the proper guidance she'll never reach her full potential as a human being. If she stays with her guardians, the Centre will never find her and we'll teach her about her gifts. If she goes with her guardians, you'll have to sever all ties with her and me. There can be no trace between you and her. That is the choice you have to make."

Lyle listened as tears streamed down his face, trying to fathom what kind of life he would give his daughter. 'How can I make this choice? I want her back so much, but I couldn't ever lose her to the Centre.' He had to ask Jarod a difficult question, "Jarod is she happy with her guardians?"

Jarod took caution in answering this question, "Simone is staying with a family that cares deeply for her. They've set up roots in their new community. She has friends in school, and she has a brother, if you will, that she really cares about. She does think of you often."

"If I leave her with her guardians, can I still spend the rest of the week with her?"

"Yes, no matter what you choose, you will have the next six days together."

"Okay… I don't want the Centre to get a hold of her. I need her to stay with her guardians."

"Are you sure Lyle? You really don't want the Centre to find out about her abilities?"

"Yes I'm sure. God, I can't believe I'm doing this. I can't even get pictures from her anymore, or talk on the phone?"

Jarod paused and looked at him before deciding to reveal everything to him. "You would send Simone away from you rather than risk the Centre getting hold of her?" Lyle nodded in agreement as the tears continued to roll down his face. "What if we took the Centre out of the equation?"

"What do you mean?" Lyle asked him as he saw a glimmer of hope in what Jarod was saying.

"Right now Lyle, you're either in or out?"

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Jarod just looked at him with a blank face. "I'm in. I'll give up the Centre to have Simone back."

"All right then, you're going to help us take down the Centre."