Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Dallas, TX
Tuesday September 20

An hour had elapsed since Emily had captured Lyle, and half an hour since she had sent the email through the website. She didn't know what she was waiting for or why really, but she felt that Lyle was telling the truth. Her thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of Lyle's cellular phone. She looked at him and the phone debating whether or not to let him answer it, she saw that he was pleading with her to answer the phone. Emily then stood up and retrieved the phone, she then opened it and held it against Lyle's ear.

-Yeah? (Emily could detect in his voice that he hoped that it was Jarod calling him; that is if he had been telling the truth)
-Mr. Lyle where are you?
-I'm checking out the first building on the right, the building I went in and the first one were connected. I'll be done as soon as I can. Why don't you go check out her apartment, she's probably left this area.
-Fine Lyle. Call us when you are done and are on your way over to the apartment.
-Yes Mr. Cox.

Emily stood beside Lyle as she closed up the phone. She was confused by Lyle's calm on the phone and his buying them more time. Once again the phone came to life in her hands.

-Yeah? (Once again the hope that it was Jarod was evident in his voice)
-What the hell is going on? What are you doing with my sister? Do you ever want to see Simone again?
-Jarod listen this- (At this point Emily pulled the phone from his face and held it up to her ear)
-Jarod is that you?
-Emily? Are you okay? Has he hurt you?
-It's really you! You sound just like dad did! I'm fine.
-Is it really you Emily? I have to ask you a few questions to be sure, dad said that the three of you had worked out a system before you split up so that you would know that the other was safe.
-I know, you have to be sure.
-What did dad give you the last Christmas you spent together?
-A picture of himself when he was young and a red teddy bear.
-Yes. And what was your favorite color growing up?
-Magenta. (The first question was to ensure that identity of the speaker, the second to ensure that they were safe. If a normal color had been uttered then it would mean that they had been captured, no one would guess anything but a run of the mill color)
-Oh my God it's really you Emily! Dad'll be so excited that we found you.
-You're with Dad? How is he? Do you know where mom is?
-No, we don't know where she is. And Dad's not with me but I know how to reach him. What happened there? Where are you? How did you end up with Lyle?
-I'm in Dallas. Lyle and the other Centre goons were chasing after me here- (She was interrupted though by Lyle's yelling.) No Jarod that's not true! I only made it- (Now it was his turn to be silenced when Emily pointed her gun at his head)
-He was chasing after you?
-Yeah, but…
-That lying bastard! Let me talk to him Emily.
-Okay. (She then held the phone up to his ear)
-You said you'd help me find and protect my family! You lose again Lyle! You will never see Simone again!
-No Jarod! I swear that I wanted to contact you but I had no chance to. I found out where we were going just before we left, Cox found her not me! I swear I tried to find her first so I could warn her.
-Don't lie to me Lyle, she said that you were chasing her!
-Yes, but that was to keep up my appearances with them! I did everything I could to keep her away from them! Jarod please, you have to believe me!
-Lyle I don't have to believe you!
-Jarod, you have to please… (Lyle was now quietly pleading with Jarod when Emily removed the phone from his ear and held it up to her own)
-What should we do?
-I don't care what you do with him, I'll deal with him later. I need you to get out of Dallas and see a friend of mine in Houston. She'll know how to reach me. I can't wait to see you Emily!
-Me too Jarod. So tell me where I have to go…


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Blue Cove, Delaware
Friday September 23

The phone next to him on his desk rang startling him from his thoughts. He picked up the phone and heard only one phrase from a familiar voice, "A limo will pick you up at the main entrance at 6," before he heard the line disconnect. He slowly replaced the phone already thinking about and dreading what would happen that evening.

------

The limo stopped and the doors unlocked. One of the rear doors opened and Jarod entered the rear area of the limo. As soon as he recognized that it was Jarod who was entering the limo, Lyle switched over to the rear-facing seat behind the driver.

"So tell me what happened in Dallas."

"I already told you, and I'm sure that Emily-"

"I want to hear it from you. I want to see you tell me what happened. Now tell me!"

"Okay. I was in my office when Mr. Cox…" Lyle continued to recount the events of the day as Jarod stared at him judging his honesty. "I'm sorry that it happened Jarod but I tried everything I could to make sure that your sister wasn't captured by the Centre. You have to believe me!"

Jarod continued to stare at Lyle before answering, "All right. Based on what Emily told me and what you just told me I see that you did help Emily and myself, you're holding up your end of the bargain. Now you won't get Simone back quite yet, but you're getting close. And you did give me Emily, and so I'll let you do something now. There are conditions to it however. In one hour I'll be receiving a video phone call from Simone's guardians, you can speak with her and see her."

Lyle's eyes went wide with excitement over the chance of seeing and speaking to Simone himself. "Really?!?!"

"Yes, but as I said there are conditions."

"Yes whatever, I just want to speak to her!"

"Okay first rule, you don't ask her where she is or who she is with. If you try and ask her anything to find out where she is then I will disconnect the call. Simone was initially told that they couldn't find you. However recently she's been told that they found you but you couldn't come to her quite yet because you were trying to protect her. If she asks why you haven't come to get her yet then you tell her that you can't yet, that you are trying to protect her from the people who kidnapped her in the first place." Jarod took extreme pleasure in glaring at Lyle as he said the last part.

As Lyle learned what he was allowed to tell her he looked down, knowing that he had brought this upon himself. That the one he had to protect Simone from was the man he used to be. "Okay. What do I tell her if she asks when I'll be able to come and get her?"

"You can tell her that if all goes well, in a few months…"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Blue Cove, Delaware
Saturday September 24

Lyle opened the door and was surprised to see Miss Parker standing there.

"Are you ready to go?" When all she received in reply was a quizzical look she continued on, "We had a lunch date remember… No you don't do you…"

As Lyle recalled that they had made plans at the beginning of the week for a lunch date he realized that they were for today. "I'm sorry. I totally forgot. I've had a lot on my mind recently."

"Yeah I've noticed that this week, ever since you got back from your little trip to wherever with Mr. Cox… Are we gonna stand out here all afternoon and talk? Or can I come in?"

"What? Yeah of course, come on in," he told her as he stepped aside and led her in.

"So what happened?"

As he entered the living room he quickly reached for the remote control and turned off the T.V. hoping that his sister had not seen the paused image on the screen. He then turned to Miss Parker and saw that she was not looking at the screen but was still in the entryway locking the door. "What was that?" he asked her not remembering the question.

"What is up with you Lyle? What happened earlier this week with Cox?"

"Uh we were following a lead on Emily…"

"What?! Why wasn't I informed? What happened?" Internally Miss Parker was smiling, she had met Emily the previous night and had taken a real liking to her, she was tough like herself.

"It was Mr. Cox's lead and it turned up nothing."

"Okay then why have you been acting so distant this week, almost like you were dreading something?"

Lyle looked up at his sister, 'God I want to tell her what has been up with me…I want to tell her that I am so close to getting Simone back, that I actually spoke with her last night…But I can't explain that to her, that I've been helping Jarod…Hell that I helped Emily escape from the Centre's grasp and even reunited her with Jarod…God there's so much I want to tell you sis…' "Nothing. I just haven't been feeling all that well recently, I think I may be coming down with something," he told her as he decided to lie. "Actually I was just going to lie down before you showed up." As he continued with his lie he stood up and headed towards the doorway.

Miss Parker picked up on his actions and so she too stood up, "Well then I guess I'll just let you rest. Take care of yourself and I'll see you on Monday."

"I will thanks," he told her as he shut the door behind her and locked it. He then returned to his couch and sat down in front of the T.V. He turned on the T.V. screen and there was a paused image of Simone speaking and showing him a drawing. As Lyle unpaused the image a smile came to his face as he relived the previous night.