Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Warning: Okay this is filled with a lot of angst, just thought I'd warn you all. I know many of you really (really really!) disliked Marie, but just bare with me and read.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Augusta County, Maine
Sunday March 8
Early morning hours

"Jarod how can you not be the least bit upset over Sydney's death?"

A smile crept over Jarod's face before he replied. "Easy. Sydney's not dead."

"Jarod he went down-"

"No he did not go down off Prince Edward Island. And no he was not ever really sick."

"What are you saying?" As Miss Parker kept looking at Jarod's smiling face she realized what had happened. "So you're saying he was never sick? Did you get him out?"

"Sydney's so called illness was created by a drug I developed a while back. The drug gave the pretense that Sydney was suffering from a terminal illness, while in fact he was really okay. The flight to France with both Michelle and Nicholas was planned by us, and so was the plane crash."

"Wait a minute, pieces of the wreckage were found."

"I had a dummy plane intercept paths with theirs. That second dummy plane was what you found the wreckage of, it was just a matter of changing some records so that the list of pieces found in the wreckage corresponded to those that Sydney was in."

"And the Centre crew?"

"The pilot and crew were people I had contacted earlier and also wanted out of the Centre. It didn't take much convincing for them to carry out the plan."

"I can't believe this Jarod," Miss Parker stated incredulously.

"Would you believe me if I let you talk with him yourself?"

"Where is he?"

"Sorry can't tell you that one, that's a secret. Once I get someone out of the Centre I try and keep them hidden. Which leads me to my next question: how is it that you showed up at Broots' home?"

"Angelo gave me a piece of paper with the address. He found it underneath Sydney's desk. How Sydney had it I don't know. I didn't even know who to expect behind the door until Broots opened the door."

"Hmm… I'll have to talk to Sydney about that one."

"Jarod… how long have you been planning on getting Sydney out?" she quietly asked Jarod.

"We'd been talking about it for awhile now. It wasn't though until about two- three weeks ago that I started to put the plan into action."

"Around the sixteenth then? Right after Chicago… Why'd you get him out?" Miss Parker's voice was barely audible, but it was filled with emotion.

"Because he asked me to. He's like a father to me, always has been. He needed his freedom."

Miss Parker was searching for a thread to accuse him, "But what about all the sims he had you run? He never got you out all those years? Why him?!?!" She was practically yelling at this point, "My mother tried to get you out! Not him! What do you owe him?"

Jarod was shocked by the sudden outburst coming from Miss Parker, he could almost see tears starting to form in her eyes. "Sydney and I settled what happened between us months ago. What I feel I owe Sydney is between him and me." Jarod got up from the bed and walked towards the windows, "Besides-"

Miss Parker broke down, "But why not me Jarod? Why not me!!"

Jarod was utterly shocked by what he heard come from her mouth, he couldn't believe his ears. "Uh… because… nothing is owed between us… all there is between us is 'You chase and I run'"

"Aww Jarod! I'm sorry about what I said in Chicago, I didn't mean it! You don't know how much I wish I could take back what I said then." Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"Then why'd you say it?"

"I don't know Jarod. I was upset, I was jealous of Marie, I was tired. I don't know why I said it." Once again Miss Parker was trying to find understanding from Jarod.

"Yeah well you did. And it hurt."

"I know Jarod, I'm sorry about that. But damnit Jarod I'm hurting too now!"

Now Jarod was getting mad, "Why the hell should you be hurting? I've done nothing to you!"

"That's just it Jarod, you haven't done anything for me, not for over a year! You got Broots and Sam out. And now Sydney! I'm all alone there at the Centre! I-"

"Hey I tried to get you out before remember!"

"Why didn't you try again?!?! Aren't I worth it?"

"I don't know anymore Miss Parker…" Jarod quietly told her.

Miss Parker calmed down a bit as her face showed the deep sadness she felt, "what?"

"I feel I don't know you anymore. I can't find the little girl who gave me my first kiss. I can't find the little girl who was my friend when I was alone. I can't find the little girl I loved…" His voice was filled with sorrow and remembrance of his childhood

"You loved me Jarod?" Now it was Miss Parker's turn to not believe her ears as she stood up and started moving toward Jarod. She hadn't received a reply yet by the time she was standing in front of him. She gently asked him a question, "Jarod what happened to us?"

"I don't know Miss Parker… you left," he stated bluntly.

"I'm sorry Jarod… about all of this." She then withdrew from Jarod and returned to the far bed where she sat down. After a few minutes of just sitting there with no response from Jarod, she lied down on the bed facing away from Jarod. With her face hidden from Jarod, and her mind racing with questions and feelings for Jarod, she quietly started to cry.

Jarod remained at the window looking out for almost a quarter of an hour before he heard the silent sobs coming from Miss Parker. He slowly walked over to Miss Parker and stood behind her contemplating his next move. From his pocket he withdrew a handkerchief which he laid down on the bed next to Miss Parker's head, "Me too." Miss Parker only nodded her head while the sobs continued. Jarod stepped back to the other bed and lied down. Through his mind raced all the thoughts and feelings he wanted to express to Miss Parker, some of which he had harbored for over thirty years. Twice he nearly uttered the words for what he felt, but stopped himself both times.

At four in the morning after Miss Parker had finally succumbed to exhaustion and fallen asleep, Jarod sat up and started to right a note.

Miss Parker
We both have a lot on our minds. I think we should both step back from each other for a while. We both need to figure out what it is we want. I hope you find what it is you want. Go to Ben's place today to relax, your mother went there for the peace and solitude she found there. I hope you find something there as well. Your car is outside, I had a friend drive it over, the keys are on the table. Take care of yourself Miss Parker.
Jarod