Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chicago, Illinois
Saturday February 13

It was the middle of the afternoon before Jarod left the hospital with Steve; they then headed over to the police station where Miss Parker was being held. They walked over to the interrogation rooms, Steve went to the observation room next door and Jarod walked into the interrogation room.

Miss Parker looked up when she heard the door open, on Jarod's face she saw sadness and grief. "Is Marie okay?" she asked even though she felt she knew the answer.

Jarod only looked at her as he walked over to the chair opposite Miss Parker and sat down. "No, she died around nine this morning." As he spoke a tear rolled down his face.

Miss Parker noticed the tear and felt sorry for Jarod. She recalled how he had been there when Tommy had died, and now she felt the urge to reach out to Jarod and try and comfort him. Miss Parker extended her free hand to cover Jarod's clasped hands as she spoke. "Jarod I'm really sorry."

Jarod looked up as soon as he felt her hand on his own, shocked by the humanity and sincerity Miss Parker was displaying. The shock showed on his face momentarily before the grief set in again, and finally comfort knowing that someone cared about him. "Thank you Miss Parker," he told her honestly, "but we have to go now."

Miss Parker then remembered the situation she was in, and pushed her feelings for her childhood friend aside. "Jarod what's going on?"

"I'll tell you later, but now we're leaving," as he spoke he removed the restraints on Miss Parker's left hand and then placed a pair of handcuffs on both. "Don't take off the handcuffs okay."

Miss Parker followed Jarod's instructions and lead as she wondered about the gentleness he was displaying. There wasn't the usual anger or sarcasm for the Centre showing. 'What is going on?' she asked herself as she followed Jarod and the Director out to a waiting car. Jarod and Miss Parker got into the back seat while Steve climbed into the passenger seat.

They drove for half an hour before pulling up to the back entrance of an apartment building. The driver remained in the car while the others entered the building and proceeded to the top floor of the building, which was a penthouse on the 25th floor. Jarod led Miss Parker to one of the many plush couches where she sat down.

"Jarod what the hell are you doing? And what is this place?"

"It's a safe house and-"

"Nice safe house. For who?"

"That's not important now. What is important is who knows you are here?"

"No one does. I flew commercially, I bought the ticket right after I heard the evening news. I then drove straight over to the airport. The only call I made was to the airline."

"Come on Miss Parker, you know the Centre as well as I do. They'll track you here. You probably called the airlines from your home, a call that can be traced. You probably bought the ticket in your own name because you don't have any other ID. And you probably parked your car at the airport, which can be located. It'll only be a matter of time before someone at the Centre starts asking questions and starts looking for you. And you, you left them a trail that a kindergartner could follow!"

"Damnit Jarod! It's not like I don't mind if the Centre follows me here and they catch you, especially since that means I go free!! I am not here to protect you Jarod! I don't owe you anything!" As soon as the words left her mouth, Miss Parker regretted them and it showed on her face momentarily before she returned the angered Ice Queen façade to her face.

Jarod looked at her completely shocked at what she had just said. He knew that she chased him and all, but the fact that he had helped her so much to discover who she was and in fact saved her life and that that all apparently meant nothing to her stung him deeply. He quietly spoke to her, "You're right. I run, you chase. That's the game isn't it?"

"Yeah it is."

Jarod looked at her silently for a minute before turning to Steve and speaking, "Come on I gotta talk to you for a sec."

"Yeah… we definitely need to talk." The two of them walked behind Miss Parker to a spot where they could still keep an eye on her but where they wouldn't be overheard.

"We need to hole her up for the next couple of days."

"Look Jarod, I've acted faithfully up until this point. I've refrained from asking too many questions because of all the help you have provided the agency with, and your relationship with Marie. And mainly because of what you did for my son. But you have got to be straight with me and tell me your story. I can only go so far with what you've already told me."

"I know. All right, listen, you promise me to get a few more men up here to keep an eye on her for the next few days and I will tell you everything. But all of this has to be off the books, no record of this at all."

"You got yourself a deal Jarod. I'll make the call right now to get some more men out here. Until they show up you can put her in the second bedroom on the right down the left hallway. That room is completely wired and secure."

"Thanks Steve." Jarod then walked over to Miss Parker and led her to the bedroom Steve had indicated without saying a word to Miss Parker. Once they were a few feet into the room Jarod stopped her and removed the handcuffs. Once her hands were free she turned around to look at Jarod who looked at her with a sadness in his eyes, as if he were mourning the loss of someone or something. 'Well Jarod you did just lose your girlfriend or whatever she was…' What she didn't know was that the sadness in his eyes resulted from the feeling he had that the friend he had from childhood no longer existed, not even deep down within Miss Parker. Jarod quietly walked out of the room, and as the door shut Miss Parker heard the latch of the lock fall into place.

In the room next door, where all the monitoring equipment was maintained, Steve waited for Jarod to show up and share his story with him.

When Jarod walked in he sat down in an empty chair that looked at the monitors. He stared at the monitors for a few minutes before turning to Steve, "Steve what I'm about to tell you is going to seem very far-fetched, but just bear down and listen to me. I guess I should start first off with my name."

"What about your name?"

"My name is not Jarod Trainer."

"Come on Jarod I thought you were going to tell me the truth and not joke around," Steve looked at Jarod's face and saw the seriousness with which Jarod was speaking. "You're not kidding are you?" Jarod shook his head no. "How? I've seen your file, Jarod Trainer has a complete file and all, we've done a background and security check on you and you're clean."

"Jarod Trainer may exist and all, but the file you have on Jarod Trainer I created. I fully developed it last summer one week."

"How can you just create yourself an identity so fully that can pass one of the most rigorous security checks done in the federal government, and in so short a time? Most identities take years to create, not a week! Wait, so if you aren't Jarod Trainer, then who the hell are you?"

"My first name is Jarod, I don't know what my real last name is. Now hang on just let me explain before you start asking questions." Over the next few hours Jarod explained his past and his dealings with the Centre, the pretends he had completed since his escape almost five years ago. During that time they moved to another room to finish their talk when the other agency men showed up to watch over Miss Parker.

"So all those people we interviewed during the background check were…"

"They were all people who I have helped in the past five years. I merely called them up and asked them if they would help me out and say certain things about me if someone came around asking about Jarod Trainer."

"My God… I think that is the most fascinating story I have ever heard. And you're right it is pretty hard to believe. But give me something which I can verify, for instance what's the name of this organization that kidnapped you as a boy."

"Look Steve, you can't go digging around in some of these holes. They are dangerous people and they will stop at nothing to protect themselves. You have to promise me that you won't go digging around in that stuff? I'm going to bring them down, but not now. The pieces aren't in place yet, but when they are I'm going to need your help to destroy them. But you can't go looking now or it'll destroy everything."

"You're serious about this aren't you?" When Jarod nodded his head Steve answered the request, "Okay I won't go snooping around, at least not now. But when I get the green light from you I'm going hunting."

"Thanks Steve. The organization is called the Centre which is run by the Triumvirate, a group based out of Africa."

"Wait I've heard mention of these two organizations. We catch the names on international communiqués we intercept, but we have no idea what or who they are. We've tried to get information on them, but we haven't been able to hear of anything, nobody's talking. The only talk we've heard of a Centre is a think tank out in Delaware, but that place has dealings with the government, hell NSA has contracts with them-"

"That think tank in Delaware is the same Centre that kidnapped me. Some of the information they produced as part of those contracts was obtained by simulations I did."

"Shit, you're not joking are you? So that's how our enemies somehow seem to get some of the same information we get and try and keep from them… Jarod this is huge! I have to talk to my director."

"Steve you can't, not yet at least. The Centre already has connections with the NSA and so if anyone with connections to the Centre gets whiff of this, then it's all over. I just need some time okay. Give me a year."

"A year!! I can't sit on this for a year!"

"You have to Steve! If not then the Centre gets away. I need your help Steve, and right now that means not saying anything about this."

"I can't believe this but okay, I'll give you a year." Steve shook his head in shock for a moment not believing all that he had heard so far. "Okay, now tell me about the woman in the other room, Miss Parker."