Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

North of Blue Cove, Delaware
Monday December 24

Lyle's interrogation continued through the afternoon and into the early evening. Jarod and Sam finally left the room leaving Lyle dangling from the chain. Once they were out of the room Sam turned to Jarod and stopped him, "Jarod were you really going to let her die with that drug? I mean would it have actually killed her if you hadn't gone in there?"

"No, but to Lyle it would have appeared as if she were dead," Jarod replied.

"What are you going to do with Lyle and the kidnappers?"

"I actually need your help there again. Can you interrogate a few of them and find out what they know? Are they actually Centre personnel and all?"

"Yeah no problem. And Lyle?"

Jarod stopped and looked back in the direction they had come from. He then motioned for Sam to follow him back down towards the room where Lyle was. They stopped when they were in front of the door leading to the room where Simone was in. Jarod looked through the hole in the door first before replying, "I don't know, I just know that I don't want to send her back with him. I think that would hurt him the most, especially after seeing him earlier. He'd rather die I think then not have her. It's crazy..." Jarod then opened the door and walked over to Simone while Sam stood in the doorway.

"Hey there Simone... how are you feeling? Better?"

"Yeah Jarod," she replied without ever really looking up at his face. "Can I see my daddy?"

Jarod looked through the mirror at the face that he knew was on the other side before answering the child. "Not yet Simone, we can't find him right now. How about we go get some food though and play with Tyler?" Jarod extended his hand out to the little girl, but she didn't accept it but rather held out both her arms waiting for him to pick her up.

In a soft whisper that Jarod could barely detect, she spoke, "Thank you Jarod." And with that he proceeded to carry her out of the room and down the hall to where Marie was waiting. Once he had settled her down in front of some food, he then went over to Sam and asked him to start the other interrogations. Jarod then left the room and walked to the room where Miss Parker was.

Miss Parker was pacing in her room. She hadn't heard or seen anyone since that 'Other' woman had questioned her. Miss Parker was thinking about what Jarod had said the night before. 'How could he think that I would actually help the Centre kidnap these kids?'

Miss Parker was distracted from her thoughts when she heard the door being unlocked. Part of her wanted to approach the door, but the other part told her to stay where she was, she was still a bit wary after last night when Jarod had come storming in pointing his gun at her head accusing her. She watched Jarod enter calmly and so her fears were diminished. "What happened Jarod? Are the kids okay?"

Jarod didn't answer, he merely walked over to her and reached into his pocket. When he pulled his hand out he was holding a switchblade which he opened when it had cleared his body. Miss Parker jumped slightly at the action and seeing the blade in his hands. When he was standing in front of Miss Parker he just looked at her with a blank stare, she looked back trying to show anger or frustration, but it just didn't show-she was too worried about the kids. Jarod grabbed at her hands and then slid the knife's blade between her hands and cut the tape that was holding them together. When he was done removing the tape from her hands he turned from her and sat on the bed opposite her.

"They're fine. We got them out last night without any problems."

Miss Parker looked at Jarod and noticed how tired and exhausted he was before sitting down herself. "I'm glad to hear that." There was a long pause before Miss Parker spoke again. "So what's going to happen now?"

Jarod took his time before responding, currently the floor was occupying his attention. "Do you think Lyle deserves to keep Simone?"

Miss Parker was caught off guard with the question. "Uh... she's his daughter."

"And he also had her kidnapped to get me back," he told her as he looked up from the floor and glared at her.

"I understand that but-"

"But what? He had her, Tyler, and Debbie kidnapped!! Don't you get it?" Jarod just kept nodding his head as he spoke quietly to himself, "Of course not... the Centre has taken over who you are."

"What do you want me to say Jarod? Should he have done what he did? Of course not, but his sick twisted little mind did. Are you going to make her suffer by not letting her have her father because of his mistakes?"

"Don't you think she's already suffered enough through this experience?" Miss Parker didn't have a response to this statement. "Do you want to see her?"

The offering shocked Miss Parker, "Yes I would."

"Okay I'll bring her in here, but if she asks about Lyle you tell her that we haven't found him yet."

"I'm not going to lie to her Jarod."

"Look, if you want to see her then you'll tell her what I just told you, all right?"

"Fine."

"Good. I'll have Marie bring her in here, she'll be here the entire time."

"Who is she Jarod?"

"Just a friend helping me out." Jarod then got up from the bed and headed for the door.

"You never answered my question, what happens next?" she asked him as she stood up as well.

Jarod stopped and turned his head over his shoulder as he spoke. "Broots and Sam are leaving the Centre with their kids."

"What?!?!?! They're leaving? They can't just leave! The Centre won't let them!"

"Why do you care? Is it because you actually care about them and don't want them to get hurt by the Centre which might hunt them down? Or is it because they'll no longer be part of your team that tracks me? Or is it because they'll be leaving the Centre and you'll still be there?"

Miss Parker never got to reply, not that she really did know the answer, since Jarod had left the room.

Several minutes later Marie returned with Simone holding her hand. As soon as Simone saw Miss Parker she went running to her aunt. The two held each other for a minute before disengaging and talking. At one point Simone asked Miss Parker about her father. Miss Parker looked up at Marie who gave her a warning look before telling the child what Jarod had told her to say.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"All right, I'm going to set you and your kids all up with some new identities. The deal is I will provide you with any money you want and any background you want to start your new life. You cannot however ever have any contact with your current lives and especially the Centre. The Centre will probably be looking for you and you will do everything you can to stay under their radar. Broots will help with this. Also you stay in contact with me, I want to know what's going on in your lives. Sam I'll be giving you a phone number that Broots will have. Every Sunday, and I mean every single one, you'll get in touch with Broots. You'll have a one-hour window to do it in. If you don't call in to check in, I'll find you. If you've betrayed me I'll go and get Tyler and place him with a family that'll take care of him and won't put him in danger. If the Centre's on to you by no fault of your own I'll come and get Tyler first to protect him before coming and getting you. Does that seem fair to you?"

Sam looked at him and nodded his head. "What happens if something happens to Broots or it's an emergency?"

"I'll give you a second number that'll contact me directly, but it's only for absolute emergencies, okay." Jarod looked at Sam as he nodded. "Okay I need to ask you something now... Can you take Simone and be her guardian?"

Sam was shocked by the question, "What? You're not giving her back to Lyle?"

"Come on Sam she's in danger if she stays with a monster like him... after what he's done he doesn't deserve her and you know it!"

"Yeah I know... what'll we tell her about Lyle?"

"The truth, that he can't take care of her."

"I can't handle two kids Jarod."

"Sam she seems quite attached to Tyler, it'll make it easier for her. Besides I'll make sure you're well taken care of, courtesy of the Centre of course," he told him with a small smile creeping across his face.

Sam looked at Jarod and then through the doorway where he could see Simone and Tyler playing with some toys. "All right," was his solemn reply.

"Thanks Sam... Okay within two days I'll have some new identities set up for all three of you. Do you have any preference of where you'd like to move to?" The two talked on for a half hour figuring out the logistics of the big change occurring in Sam's life.

I would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. Thanks!