Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

North of Blue Cove, Delaware
Sunday December 23

Marie and Broots were still searching when Jarod walked in, "So what do you guys have so far? Anything?" Both Marie and Broots jumped when they heard Jarod speak, so engrossed were they in their search.

"Jesus Jarod, you scared us to death!" Marie told Jarod as she and Broots turned around.

"Sorry about that, but that doesn't answer my question," already dreading the answer.

Broots and Marie both looked at each other unsure of what exactly to say, the latter was the first to speak. "Well we searched the Centre records and came up with a hit, it's a safe house for the Centre."

"Damnit I knew it!" Jarod started looking around the room before starting to gather his stuff together and throw it into his bags, "I'm outta here." 'God I can't believe I believed them and almost fell for another Centre trap.'

"Jarod wait, we had nothing to do with this, it was probably someone else at the Centre. Debbie needs your help..." Broots pleaded with Jarod as he got up from his chair and started to approach him. However he couldn't get very close as Jarod reached into his back and pulled out a gun and pointed it at Broots.

"Jarod listen, I believe Broots. I don't think he's involved in this. Give him a chance we're trying to find out who was behind it all. We're running a search on it now, we should find out in a few minutes." Marie also approached Jarod but more cautiously.

"Why should I stick around and help them?"

"Because Debbie, Tyler and Simone are just kids who have nothing do with this and just want to see their fathers," Marie pointed out to Jarod.

As Marie was speaking, Jarod turned from Broots and Marie before speaking, "I can't go back there."

"And I'm not asking you to Jarod, but you need to give those three kids a chance at life."

Jarod looked down at the ground with a feeling of dejection before speaking again, "I know-" Jarod was interrupted by a beeping sound from the computer that was searching the Centre. "What was that?" he asked Broots as he neared the computer.

"We found the file that we're looking for," at the same time Broots hurried to the computer to retrieve and read the file. "And it was... oh my god," Broots then looked up at Jarod's face with a face of shock and innocence, "the file was retrieved off Mr. Lyle's personal computer."

"Damnit I knew it!" he yelled as he started to read the file. As he read more and more of the file his face became more and more red with anger.
Marie and Broots could do nothing more than just stare at him and try to comprehend the situation they were in. Marie was the first to speak up as she saw Jarod near the end of the report, "Jarod..." When she received no reply she went on again in a gentle tone, "Jarod... what are you going to do?"

As Jarod finished the report he continued to stare at the computer screen for a minute. With a blank look on his face he replied, "I'm leaving."

"Jarod please..."

"Broots give me one good reason why I should help you? You have been chasing me for over three years. You've been trying to return me to a place that kidnapped and exploited me, the same organization that has now kidnapped your daughter!" Jarod spoke back.

Broots tried to search for words, it took all his strength to remain on his feet. The fear he had of losing his daughter was growing with each word Jarod spoke. "Look I know there isn't a good reason for you to help me. But there is one to help Debbie. Jarod I know you…you can't walk away from this, not from someone who has been kidnapped. Jarod please, I'll do anything you want?"

"How much do you love your daughter Broots?" Jarod asked a shocked Broots at the question.

"Wh-what?" Broots replied not really understanding what Jarod was going after.

"What I'm asking you is: is your love for Debbie so great that if I get her back for you, would you leave the Centre and sever all contacts with the Centre, after what they've done to your family?"

Without hesitating and actually showing more resolve in his voice than either Marie or Jarod had detected in the past couple of days, he answered, "Yes! Yes I would and will leave the Centre if I get Debbie back. I'll stop looking for you. I'll even try and help you in anyway I can." Broots waited for a response from Jarod who was processing his statement.

Jarod walked over to Broots who started to cower against the wall. Once he was in front of him he reached into his pocket and pulled out the handcuff key and removed Broots' restraints. As the restraints were removed, Broots sighed. Marie who had remained silent during the exchange then walked over to Jarod and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Jarod what are we going to do with the others?"

Jarod merely silently turned his head towards Marie and looked at her with a blank look. Suddenly he turned on his heel and headed for the hallway, at the same time he pulled out his gun and checked the clip to make sure it was loaded. When he was halfway to the rooms, Marie realized what he was going to do and started to chase after him, as did Broots.

Jarod stormed into the room with Miss Parker and Sam in it, with his gun drawn. As he entered the pair stood up rapidly and then started to step away from an enraged Jarod, not knowing what was happening. From the hallway they could hear Marie calling out to Jarod, "Jarod, calm down!" Miss Parker and Sam exchanged glances with each other as Jarod neared them both, his aim shifting from one to the other.

"How could you do it?"

"Do what Jarod?" a confused Miss Parker asked.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about it! Have you completely forgotten who your mother was?"

"You leave my mother out of this! She has nothing to do with this!"

"She has everything to do with this. You really are your father's daughter aren't you? How could you do what you did to your friends' children?"

Sam then jumped into join the conversation, "Jarod what are you talking about?" As he spoke he looked at Miss Parker with a trace of doubt in his face, did he not know his boss as well as he thought he did?

"I'm talking about Project Troy Sam. It seems that the Centre was behind the abduction of Tyler and Debbie, all with the knowledge and support of Mr. Lyle. They kidnapped your son Sam to get me!" As he continued to speak his gun was trained on Miss Parker.

Meanwhile Sam kept looking from Miss Parker to Jarod doubting what he was hearing but also believing it-besides anything was possible in the Centre. "And you're saying Miss Parker knew about this?" Sam started to feel betrayed as he stared at his boss.

"Wait a minute here... I don't know what you're talking about Jarod, but I wouldn't -"

"Is it true Miss Parker? Did you know? Did you let my son and Debbie get kidnapped?"

"Sam I had no idea of this plan, Broots you know I wouldn't do this to Debbie." She was now pleading with Sam and Broots for them to believe her.

Jarod was the first to reply, "Come on Miss Parker, you want your freedom just as much as I want mine and my family. That was the deal wasn't it, you bring me back in and you leave?"

"Well yeah, but I wouldn't kidnap their children. You have to believe me," she told her audience, staring each one in the eyes, searching for understanding. She finally received it from the woman she didn't know.

"Jarod let me speak with her alone. Besides I'm the most unbiased person here that will be able to find out the truth," she said gently trying to calm Jarod. She then neared Jarod, once again coming up behind him and placing her hand on his shoulder. With her touch, Jarod looked at Marie and stared into her eyes. "Jarod let me take care of this, you have a lot of planning to do in the next couple of hours."

"Fine take her down the hall," and with that Marie walked over to Miss Parker and escorted her down the hall. As they were leaving Sam just stared at Miss Parker, a questioning look on his face.

"Did you know anything about this?"

"What?!?!?! Are you kidding?!?! You think I would let my own son be kidnapped?"

"I don't know Sam..."

"Come on, look maybe you doubt Tyler being my son and-"

"Oh I don't doubt that Sam. I've known about Tyler for the past few years. I know he loves you very much."

A shocked Sam and Broots stared at Jarod as he calmly spoke. "What? You knew about Tyler?" Jarod nodded. "How? I even kept him hidden from the Centre, no one knows about him there and he's not in any of my files. I made damn sure to keep him away from the Centre!"

"Well apparently they found out somehow Sam." Jarod then turned to Broots and spoke, "Did you know about Tyler before Friday?"

Broots was about to speak but was cut off by a nervous and anxious and confused Sam, "No, not even Miss Parker knew about him. She couldn't have been in on it."

Broots then spoke, "I don't think she knew either Jarod. I know she can be mean and all, but beyond all that she's a good friend and person."

"The two of you seem to have forgotten that for the past three odd years you have all been chasing me to return me to my kidnappers." Broots and Sam couldn't say anything in reply and so turned their eyes downward to the floor. "Yeah that's what I thought..."

Sam was the first to speak up, "Jarod are you going to help us get our kids back?"

Broots and Sam both intently stared at Jarod waiting for his answer. "I don't know Sam, will you keep your end of the bargain and stop chasing me?"

Without a moment's hesitation Sam answered back, "Jarod I swear to you that if you help me get Tyler back, I will stop looking for you."

After a pause that seemed like an eternity to the two fathers, Jarod spoke, "All right then... the two of you will be reunited with your children tonight." And with those words Sam and Broots let out a large sigh of relief.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"So did you know about it Miss Parker?"

"No! I had nothing to do with this... you have to believe me!" a pleading Miss Parker said.

"Why? Make me believe you. I mean let's look at your track record shall we... you are hunting down your childhood friend!! Someone who has given you so much information, helped you to learn who you are and who your family is." Marie paused as she looked away from Miss Parker and recalled all that Jarod had told her. "Jarod does nothing but help people, something this sad world needs... and you... you are trying to return him to the Centre where they want to continue to exploit him!! My god... how can you do that? Do you no longer find life beautiful? Something that should be treasured and lived?" As Marie spoke to Miss Parker, anger started to creep into her voice.

"Who are you? And how do you know so much about me and the Centre?" 'Jarod's never told anyone about me or the Centre... except that one woman in Oregon...'

"I'm a friend of Jarod's, someone who doesn't like you very much right now... But right now I'm here to decide whether or not you knew anything about the kidnappings." Marie tried to calm herself but was finding it rather difficult.

"Yes I track Jarod down but-"

"Track??" Marie said incredulously, "come on! You hunt him down like he's a prize to be won!" 'Why is she making me so mad?'

Miss Parker just ignored the comment and went on with what she was saying, "but I've never done anything against children. I even let Jarod help one boy who was taken by the Centre and was bound for the same fate as Jarod. And I care for Debbie, she reminds me of my own childhood. There is no way I would betray Sam and Broots by kidnapping their children"

Marie looked hard into Miss Parker's eyes searching for the truth. "Either you're telling the truth or you're a very good liar."

With a calm voice Miss Parker replied, "I'm telling the truth."

Marie continued to look into her eyes and found what she was looking for. 'I knew that psychology major would do me good one day.' "All right I believe you Miss Parker" with a calm voice she continued, "...but if you hurt Jarod in any way, I'll come find you myself." After warning her, she returned her to her room.

"How are we going to get the kids back Jarod?" Marie asked in front of their new 'partners.'

"I have a plan, and it requires all of you," he said as he looked at Broots and Sam, "I'm still a bit anxious about the idea of working with you both, but what choice do I have? What choice do your children have? You'll be helping but I will be watching you and you do anything wrong and I'll walk but not before destroying your lives."

Broots and Sam merely nodded. To them getting their children back was all that mattered, following Jarod's orders was not a problem. Sam was the first to speak, "So what do you want us to do?"

"All right then, you and Marie will go in the van, Broots and I in her car. When we get there I'll go in first while Broots monitors their movements using that heart beat detector and the thermal imager..."