Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own Jarod or Miss Parker

Author's Note: This is a sequel to "In the Heat Of The Moment".

thepretender_2_11-i44.jpg

 

"... she felt consumed by a great void, a dark and silent abyss, as terrifying as the grand palace around her. But, somewhere in the chilling blackness, she caught a glimpse of a light. She remembered a time, the precocious little girl with a heart full of fire, a soul aflame with passion and a smile that could melt winter into spring. But, the light was gone, the flame had died. Her past was taken from her by the soldiers of the great palace. She would continue searching, hoping to rekindle the fire. But, until then, she would always be, the saddest little Valentine."

Miss Parker closed her book, the romance novel which Jarod had penned on her.

With his building despair, Jarod watched Miss Parker through her window. She closed her eyes as if reminiscing memories of the past. How could he who was in so much pain be able to continue to breathe. He had no right standing outside of her house, in the dark, questioning her well-being. Their parting had been his decision having chosen to walk out of her life and into a new beginning with someone new.

Jarod failed as a "pretender" when it came to Miss Parker. He couldn't pretend they hadn't had a history together. Nor, could he have pretended that kiss they shared as their final goodbye hadn't caused an affect on him. It was soft and tender, the kind of kiss you share when you're in love, instead of bidding farewell on going your separate ways.

It had been exactly six weeks since he walked out of her life and into a new one. He wanted her forgiveness for the pain he caused her. Every time he tried to build up courage, to face her once again, his thoughts were of that day when he literally broke her heart. Jarod questioned himself on the situation which he faced.

A million apologies popped into his head, but, knowing Miss Parker, none would justify his actions. There were no more pretends for the time being. He worked out at the gym to forget. Still, permanent fixtures of his heartache and headache stayed within him. In the early mornings of 3:00am, he's thought of calling her. Once, he pushed the buttons of his cell, but, quickly hung up before he hit send to complete his call.

He tried to forget everything, but, failed. How could he possibly forget someone who had been a part of him almost all of his life? Pictures in his mind of their life together as young children at "The Centre", and their game of "cat and mouse" occupied his thoughts.

Jarod laid awake at nights as the dialogue of their last conversation replayed continuously in his head. Miss Parker cried, whimpered and begged. Still, he said no. He told her he needed to be with the woman he loved, only to find out, the one he loved was the one he had left behind. His silent screams, and the pounding in his chest were reasons for him to rip his heart away. Without a heart, feeling nothing, he told himself, was a whole lot better than feeling pain. Not only had he broken her heart, he had done a hell of a job of breaking his as well.

As she poured herself a glass of wine, Miss Parker let out a gasp as she heard the sound of a familiar voice.

"Hello, Miss Parker," he said, stepping out of the darkened hallway.

"What are doing here?" She spoke in barely a whisper, having thought of never seeing him again.

"Without you, life has no meaning, Melissa."

"It's Miss Parker to you."

"How's life been treating you?"

"Still alive, as you can see."

"You look thinner, Parker. Have you been eating well?" He eyed her from top to bottom. "Very thin. Have you been taking care of yourself."

"What do you want, Jarod? Came back for your sweatshirt? I threw it out. Had no use for it anymore," she said coldly.

"I want you. And only you."

"I waited, Jarod. I waited for you to come back that first week. I would have welcomed you back into my life. By the second week, I knew you were gone for good," she said, crossing her arms in front of her.

"I'm here now, Parker. If you still want me, if you still love me." He held his breath, waiting for the unexpected.

"It's too late," she said, putting on her "ice queen" facade.

"True love is letting go. Like a fool, I let go."

"I did not want to be left behind. I wanted you, Jarod."

"I'm here," he said, holding out his arms.

Miss Parker stared at him. On those lonely nights, she longed to be in his arms, but, quickly dismissed her thoughts when she could foresee someone else in his warm embrace.

"Get out. And who were you thinking of when you were making love to her?" She asked.

"You. I saw your face, not hers," Jarod answered candidly.

"And you think that will make me feel a whole lot better?" She fluffed her hair.

"Asked and answered." He stood at a distance.

"What are you? Pretending to be an attorney now."

"No pretends for the time being. Need to get my life in order."

"Has your life ever been in order, Jarod? Has mine? We're just two screwed up people heading to nowhere."

"I've been running around in circles, not knowing what to do."

"Where's what's her face?" Miss Parker asked, downing her drink.

"Gone. We weren't living together. I told her it wasn't going to work out. So, she's no longer around, won't ever be."

"Oh, but, darling, she kept your bed warm for you. Can't say she was a lost cause. She was good for something." The "ice queen" hissed.

"Enough, Parker. I made a mistake," he rubbed his unshaven face.

"What do you want me to say, Jarod? That I'd gladly welcome you back into my life?"

"I was hoping so."

Miss Parker took slow steps toward him. She tugged his shirt at first, then, laid her hands on his chest. Jarod's hands moved slowly, wrapping his arms around her waist. Her lips inched closely to his ears and whispered.

"I don't give chances. First, second or third." Stepping back, she slid his hands away from her. Her icy-blues met with his chestnut colored eyes. "I don't give any chances whatsoever," she said, walking backwards.

"Parker."

"What?"

"I-I'm," he hesitated.

"Look, Jarod. I needed time to heal. And now you're here again. I don't want to be anyone's second choice. It's been weeks since you walked out of my house and out of my life. How long has it been? Six, seven weeks? I've forgotten how long."

"An eternity, Melissa."

"Why did you come back? I've cried enough tears over you. I don't have any left."

"No need to cry. I didn't come here to make you cry. I'm sorry for having caused you grief. But, I'm hurting, too. Why did I come back? Because I love you."

"I've never known anyone who made me feel the way you do. You made me feel hollow inside. You made me feel like I didn't matter to you."

"But, you do. You do matter to me, Melissa."

"The name's Parker, Miss Parker. Melissa doesn't exist anymore. She was someone you knew a very long time ago."

"There's still that little girl inside of you."

"It took me weeks to tell myself that you'd never come back, that you disappeared for good. Now, you think you can just come here to undo what I've accomplished? You can't. I won't allow you to. You want me to throw my arms around you, is that it? I don't forgive and I don't forget, Jarod."

"Life is a journey of ups and downs, a learning experience, Parker." He stuffed his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"Well, Jar, my journey has ended." She said, as if giving up any future hopes with him.

"I may have left, but, I never stopped loving you. I was wrong. Parker, do you still love me? Or have you suddenly stopped all feelings for me in so short a time?"

"What makes you think you're not going to be tired of me. You might not want to be with me anymore. You'll simply walk out. Find someone else. You can't guarantee me, you won't just pick up and leave. What do you see in a year, two years, even a month from now? Because I can't see anything when it comes to us."

"I see you, Parker. I see you and me. No one else."

TBC - Chapter 2