Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

She stayed up most of the night. By the time she had finally fallen asleep, their alarm rang. Reality sunk in. In a few hours, she'd be in the hospital where Fate would be the one to make a decision on her life.

"Why me?" Parker asked.

Nothing Jarod had said made her feel any better. He told her she'd be fine. She screamed at him. "You don't know that, do you? What about Burke?"

He promised to take care of him. Instead of being rest assured, she hollered. "You think I'm going to die? You'll find someone else for you and she'll take care of my baby!"

Jarod tried his best, but, Parker was so petrified that she was beyond comfort. Having calmed down only when Jarod brought in the baby to her, she cuddled him as if never wanting to let go.

She spoke soothingly to Burke. He stared at her trying to comprehend what was being said.

"Hey," she kissed him on his cheek. "Mommy has to go away. Oh, but, don't you worry, Debbie and Uncle Brootsie will be here to look after you until daddy comes home. Only, I won't be home for awhile. You see, the doctor has to take something out and in a few days, I'll come home to you. I promise. I'll be fine. I have to be. Nothing's going to separate us. Because I'll be around to take care of you, help you celebrate your birthdays, be there cheering for you when you make those home runs and..." She wiped her tears and smiled. "And...I'll be around forever. I'm never leaving you. You and daddy."

At that moment, nothing could have been perfect as Jarod watched mother and son together. He walked over and put his arms around the both of them. He gave a light kiss on her lips and a kiss on his son's forehead. Burke smiled, then giggled when Parker kissed Jarod passionately.

"Ma..ma," he said.

They broke their kiss and Jarod turned to his son. "Yes, your mama's right here. She'll be back before you know it."

Parker patted Burke's behind as he laid in the comfort of his mother's arm. "I love you, you know that, don't you? You and daddy are what makes me want to fight all of this. Mommy's scared right now, but, not as scared as when "The Centre" took you away from me. So, I can handle anything as long as you two are alright." She took hold of Jarod's hand and hung on tightly. "I just want to hold on to you two forever, especially today, because I really need the both of you."

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

It was a couple of hours since Parker had been wheeled into surgery. Thankful Sydney met him at the hospital, they waited what seemed like an eternity. Jarod jumped up as the doctor walked to them from the corridor. He held his breath as the physician walked slowly towards them.

"She's in recovery and should be in her room in awhile. You can see her then."

"How...the lump? Is it...," Jarod asked nervously.

"There's lab work to be done, then I'll talk to the both of you." He held out his hand and shook it firmly. "Don't worry."

As the doctor walked away, Jarod turned to Sydney. "Don't all you doctors say that even when there is something to worry about?"

"Jarod," Sydney laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Let's just wait and see, alright?"

"And if it's for the worst? How do you ever tell someone that their life is over? Is it just a job? Or do you as doctors ever feel anything for your patients? Any sympathy for them? Or do you just go on to your next patient and forget about the one you've given a death sentence to? Tell me, Sydney. What happens next?"

"We are very fortunate that we live in a world of modern technology. Years ago, there weren't any machines to run tests. No options to be given. I hate to say this, but, you just die. Miss Parker will have all those options given if the outcome is against her. The big "C" does not necessarily mean the end of the world for everyone."

"It will be for her," Jarod answered sadly.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

He lightly caressed her face. She was sleeping soundly, but, stirred a bit as he leaned over to peck her on her lips. Jarod sat back and watched his love laying peacefully. After an hour or so, Parker moved about and slowly opened her eyes. He smiled, held her hand and kissed it.

"Hey, sleeping beauty, you're finally up."

She stared at him unaware at first where she was. Several seconds later, she pulled away laying her hand over her left breast. "It's still here," she said softly. Thinking it might have been a mistake, she touched her right side. "What happened? Doctor? What did he say?"

"Well, he'll be in here soon. He's just gotten your results from the lab. No matter what. We'll get through this."

"It's my fault. I'm getting paid back for all of my wrongdoings. My treatment of you. I had no respect of other people's feelings. "Ice queen". I was cold and heartless. Jarod, I'm being punished for everything. Things happen for a reason." Tears flowed slowly down her face.

"Stop it," he whispered. "You're not being punished for anything. You're a wonderful person and full of love when it comes to me and Burke. I'm proud of you. Look you went through the surgery, let's just wait patiently for the doctor. If it didn't look good, they would have done something immediately. And they didn't, had they?"

"No," she answered.

She grabbed onto Jarod's arm when the doctor walked in. Her heart pounded heavily. Jarod stood up immediately, held his breath and waited for their world to come crashing down.

TBC - Chapter 12