Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you so much Jacci! You got me out of my corner, and despite distractions for your new precious, managed to find time to edit this!

Thank you as well to Onisius..=) you guys are awesome!!

 


Chapter # 2 – Homecoming

Are you sure you are right?”

“It’s Raines, the man is more predictable than a soap opera.”

“You’re gambling with your life.”

“But you realize this is the way it has to be? That there is no other option.”

“I came to the same conclusion. It doesn’t mean it has to be this way.”

“It has to be - for him.”

“But what about you? What about me?”

“Right now, he’s the most important thing to both of us. If you were in my position, wouldn’t you do the same thing?”

“Without hesitation.”

“Then let me go.”

SOMEWHERE OVER COLORADO – CENTRE CORPORATE JET

“Are you sure this is how you want it to end?” Jarod taunted Parker from his seat across from her. As much as she wanted to shove the arrogant pretender into a dark hole at the back of the jet, her instincts had kept her from doing so. Parker needed Jarod right in front of her, where she and Sam could baby-sit his every move. She was not going to lose the Houdini-like lab rat, especially since a very gleeful Raines would be waiting on the tarmac in Delaware, personally ready to escort his prize back to the bowels of the Centre.

“What’s not to want Jarod? No more chasing your sorry ass across the country, no more late night phone calls, no more of your petty torments about my past. It’s the ending dreams are made of.” She informed the pretender, a false smile plastered on her face. “You said yourself, if I changed my story, the ending would be up to me.” She finished sarcastically, knowing full well this wasn’t even close to what Jarod had been getting at when he had said those words. She had to wonder where his playful demeanour was coming from. Since dragging him off the rooftop, Jarod had been despondent and submissive, barely uttering a word.

Jarod gave her a cheeky smile. “Come on Miss Parker, admit it, you’ve had fun. You’ll miss the thrill of the chase. So what’s it going to be? Back to Corporate, or a little battle with brother dearest for the affections of dear old Uncle Raines? Or is that Daddy now?” He taunted playfully.

Parker had heard enough. She reached across, grabbing the blue silk tie around the pretender’s neck, pulling him towards her. Jarod grunted slightly, but maintained his smug expression. “At least my family is around to gain affection from.” She whispered spitefully, smiling as the smirk fell from the pretender’s features.

“Not so fun when I turn the game around, is it now Jarod.” She finished, shoving the pretender back into his seat.

Jarod remained silent. Parker studied him intently, acutely aware of the resignation in Jarod’s eyes. When they had last shared frequent flyer miles, he again the prisoner, his eyes had shown nothing but fight. Where had his fire gone?

Shaking her head slightly, Parker pushed the thoughts out of her mind. This was not the time to go all mushy. Jarod was nothing but a job, nothing more. It was the way it had to be. Let Sydney do the couch routine; now that Jarod was back, the pair would have all the time in the world. She didn’t have the will or the energy to contemplate confronting any residual guilt she may or may not be feeling as a result of returning Jarod back to the Centre.

“Sam, can you handle boy wonder for a few minutes?” Parker questioned sharply, the sweeper nodding his response. Without a backwards glance at the restrained pretender, Parker headed for the front of the plane, more specifically the corporate in-flight alcohol cabinet.

Pouring herself a generous glass of scotch, Parker attempted to force down the remorse that was slowly surfacing. It was easier to think that Jarod would be returned to the status quo that had existed before Jarod ran away. However, Parker was far from naive. Jarod’s last return to the Centre had brought him nothing but a one-way ticket to Africa. Although this time her idiot brother, the official corporate leech wasn’t running the show, Raines was. She was sure that Old Wheezy’s personal issues with the errant pretender would be enough for him to fight any Triumvirate transfer order. As long as Jarod wasn’t in Africa, she knew he could survive whatever Raines and Lyle would dream up for the pretender. At the end of the day they wanted the revenue from his simulations, nothing else.

But would she be willing to live with the consequences if she was wrong?

CENTRE AIR STRIP, 30 Min from BLUE COVE, DELAWARE

Parker groaned inwardly as she walked down the steep airplane staircase, taking in the sight of Lyle and Raines waiting eagerly below her, four sweepers standing directly behind them. Jarod was close-behind, being encouraged forward by Sam’s tight grip on his bicep.

“You just couldn’t resist the urge to come see the return of your favourite toy, could you now Lyle?” Parker taunted sarcastically as she reached the ground, stepping aside, forcing Jarod into the limelight. Parker had to admit it was a slightly ridiculous sight, Jarod clad in a dark pin-stripe suit, sporting a brilliant blue tie, securely handcuffed.

Lyle chuckled as he saw the pretender. “You look like you are dressed for a funeral Jarod, although I guess considering the circumstances, it’s oddly appropriate. Nice tie though.”

“I thought you might like it, its Thai silk.” Jarod replied mockingly, his eyes daring. “Anything Asian, right Lyle?”

Parker instantly noticed how Lyle’s eyes darkened at that remark. Trust Jarod to bring up her brother’s Asian fetish, if only discreetly. Jarod’s demeanour had switched once again, from sullen to playful. Was it simply a display of false bravado to mask his own fears?

Lyle menacingly stepped towards the pretender, but Jarod held his ground, giving her twin a long hard stare.

“Get him.” Raines wheezed, nodding to the sweepers behind him. The handcuffed pretender was soon surrounded, Parker smiled as Jarod flinched as his other arm was grabbed. So wonder-boy did have a little fight left in him. She could see the fear the pretender was trying to suppress, hiding it behind his defiant demeanour. His eyes always had been his weakness.

“Welcome home Jarod.” Raines informed his much sought-after runaway, the glee evident in his voice.

“What? The Africans haven’t pulled rank and demanded my presence?” Jarod questioned sarcastically as he tried to shake himself loose from the sweepers’ hold. “I was really looking forward to my visit last time I was here.” He stated confidently, grimacing slightly as Sam cuffed him on the head, trying to cease Jarod’s struggles.

Parker had to admit, the pretender had nerve. It was one thing for him to throw his taunting remarks in her direction, but to openly provoke the very man that determined the quality of his captivity, she wasn’t sure if it was bold, or just plain stupid, most likely an unhealthy combination of the two.

“They have yet to be told of your timely return, Jarod.” Lyle informed the pretender. Parker didn’t miss the dark look that Raines flashed her twin; her little brother obviously had a big mouth. So that’s how they were going to play the game, a little hide and seek with the Triumvirate. “It’s our discretion as to when they will be notified.” Lyle finished, clearly attempting to intimidate Jarod.

“Get him in the car.” Raines commanded before Jarod could reply. Jarod gave the two men his best glare of defiance as he pushed into a nearby town car, resisting futilely against the men who held him.

“Nice work Sis.” Lyle uncharacteristically praised as the back doors were slammed shut on the town car. “How did you do it?” He questioned curiously. It was no secret that they had long given up on catching Jarod at one of his lairs. Parker smiled, catching the jealously in her brother’s tone that he was trying to hide. For once Big Sis had the leg up.

“Let’s just say his arrogance finally for the best of him.” She shot back, indicating that their conversation was over.

Lyle shrugged nonchalantly as he sauntered over to the town car holding Jarod. “I’ll look forward to reading all about it your report.” He added playfully before entering the vehicle.

The remaining Centre employees moved towards the awaiting limo as the town car carrying their catch of the day sped out of sight. Parker flashed Sam a nod of approval as he climbed into the front passenger seat. He had been her right-hand man in the physical aspect of the Jarod pursuit over the past six years. He was a loyal sweeper, and damn good at what he did, despite all the times Jarod had managed to humiliate them.

“It’s time to shift our entire focus on bringing in the rest of the members of Jarod’s family.” Raines informed Miss Parker as the limo exited the airstrip. “Gemini is to be brought in alive, the rest are expendable.”

Parker scoffed. Immediately after returning from Scotland, Raines had played her and Lyle against each other as an attempt to motivate them to capture Jarod. She suspected he had soon learned the error of his ways, as three months later he had reassigned Lyle to tracking Gemini and whatever leftover member’s of Jarod’s family that happened to be straggling along with the clone.

“I’ve upheld my end of the deal. Jarod 2.0 is Lyle’s mess to clean up. I’m going back to my rightful place in Corporate.” Parker informed the chairman, her voice projecting nothing but determination.

“That is not your prerogative to decide Miss Parker.” Raines wheezed.

“That’s a shame. I’ll have to be sure to personally send the Triumvirate my report on the successful capture of their favourite project.” Parker threatened, staring down the chairman.

The second his eyes diverted from hers, Parker knew she had won the battle, at least temporarily.

“I’ll have your transfer papers drafted for Monday.” Raines wheezed, obviously not pleased by the concession he was being forced to make.

The limo fell into an uncomfortable silence and Parker couldn’t shake the feeling of apprehension that was slowly prying its way in. The Jarod she and Sam had dragged onto the airplane, was much different than the one that Raines and Lyle had been privy to on the tarmac.

Alone, on the plane Parker had seen nothing but resignation and acceptance in Jarod’s eyes. His behaviour on the tarmac spoke of defiance and strength.

Nothing about this right; nothing at all.

SL-24 – UNCLASSIFIED AREA

Lyle walked smugly behind the trio of sweepers escorting Jarod. The half hour ride to the Centre had been spent mostly in silence, Lyle only trading barbs with the pretender on several occasions.

Jarod had struggled madly against the sweepers as they had dragged the pretender out of the car and into the Centre. It had taken a couple of blows to the head, but Jarod was now following the sweepers obediently, not that he had much of a choice given the strong hold they had on his arms.

Lyle smiled as he detected the small groan that left Jarod as he was escorted into the small room containing the pathetic cell he had been locked in upon his last return to the Centre.

“Nothing like home sweet home, is there now Jarod?” Lyle said mockingly, patting the pretender on the back as he was pushed past the twin, and into the cage. Lyle could imagine the discomfort that must be coursing through the pretender’s limbs, given his hands had been restrained behind him for well over ten hours. It was a long flight between California and Delaware.

“I can’t say I’ve missed the place.” Jarod finally responded with disinterest, his eyes travelling to the security camera in the back right corner. He turned to face Lyle, letting out a sigh as Sam moved in behind him, freeing him from his restraints. The pretender’s limbs instantly fell limply to his sides.

Feeling Jarod’s expectant eyes on him, Lyle flashed the pretender an overconfident grin. “You know what to do.” He informed the pretender. They had been through this dance last time Jarod had been returned to the Centre.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to refresh my memory.” Jarod responded coldly.

Lyle rolled his eyes, boy-wonder knew damn well what was coming, he was simply stalling. “Alright Jarod.” He stated, walking over to the sweeper that held Jarod’s Centre uniform in his hands.

“Here is your Centre reality check. In my hands are your new clothes. They allow us to differentiate between the labrats and the people who actually matter. In that suit, as nice as that tie really is, you are going to confuse the wrong people. Now, strip.” Lyle spoke patronizingly, as if he was talking to a misbehaving toddler. He smiled in satisfaction as he saw the anger dance in Jarod’s eyes.

The pretender hadn’t been willing to give up his wardrobe last time he had been dragged back to the Centre. Lyle had enjoyed great satisfaction watching the sweepers strip Jarod of every last item. He was almost willing Jarod to defy him. He observed patiently as Jarod wrestled an internal war, finally submitting as he removed his suit jacket, letting it drop carelessly on the floor.

“Good boy.” Lyle praised thickly, knowing it would only further taunt Jarod. It was just too easy with the pretender. He watched impassively as Jarod removed his clothing, flinching slightly as sweepers physically searched him. Satisfied that Jarod wasn’t harbouring anything that could aid in his escape, Lyle handed over the dark grey uniform.

“It’s official. The rat is back, trapped in our maze; or maybe the hamster running in the wheel is a better analogy for what we have here.” He taunted as Jarod angrily tugged on his new clothing.

“What do you want Lyle?” Jarod snapped, looking around wearily as two sweepers moved in and grabbed his arms.

“Everything Jarod; but you know that.” Lyle informed the pretender with a dull tone. “However, what I want mostly right now, is your little carbon copy.”

Jarod scoffed. “I’ve got nothing to say about that. I haven’t seen him for months. I have no better idea where they are than you do.”

“I don’t believe you.” Lyle replied impatiently, watching as Jarod shrugged his shoulders, the ring of his cell postponing the pretender’s rebuttal.

“Lyle.” He answered impatiently, straightening up as he heard Broots on the other end. There was a lead on the clone.

“Get Parker on it.” He angrily informed the tech. “I have more important matters to attend to.” He continued, flashing Jarod a dangerous look. The pretender returned his stare with a bored gaze while attempting to shake off the hold the sweeper’s had on his arms.

Lyle’s clenched his jaw as the tech relayed the message that Parker would not be joining him on the pursuit team for the clone.

“Try her anyways. Get the jet fired up, I’ll be ready to go in thirty minutes.” He ordered clearly irritated. Playtime with the pretender would have to be postponed. He would have some words with Raines to get his sister on that plane. His position was much too significant at the Centre to have him waste his time schlepping across the country now that Jarod was back.

“That sounded important.” Jarod stated, feigning interest.

Lyle chuckled inwardly, knowing the pretender believed he had bought himself a few hours before he really would be at the twin’s mercy.

“Sam. See what you can get out of him. I want to know all about daddy and his replacement son.” He commanded, enjoying as Jarod’s eyes nervously darted towards the sweeper. Lyle was tempted to personally participate in the little extraction session, but he knew he had to act on the lead now. Jarod obviously would never disclose any information he may have on the whereabouts of his family. It was just an excuse for Lyle to play, a little re-education if you will.

There would be time to torture later; the prodigal son was clearly not going anywhere. Maybe this was also Lyle’s day to get lucky. His twin had definitely fared well, capturing their golden boy.

He had to smile at the thought of dragging Gemini in here, taunting the original copy with threats and a dead daddy. If anything would break Jarod, it would be seeing the little dysfunctional group the pretender called his family destroyed before his very eyes.

MISS PARKER’s OFFICE – TOWER LEVEL 2

Sydney, come on in.” Miss Parker said dryly as the psychiatrist entered her office unannounced.

“It’s true then?” The shrink asked softly, surprisingly with no accusation in his voice.

“What? Didn’t make the distribution list?” Parker asked uncaringly. “Don’t worry, there will be unlimited time for you to play shrink. That boy of yours has a lot of issues. They’ll be calling you eventually.”

Sydney sighed heavily. “You know I was not allowed access to Jarod last time he was brought in Miss Parker. Why should it be any different this time around? Raines has gunned his whole life for control over Jarod, over the entire Pretender Program. Your father…Mr. Parker, was always the voice of reason. I fear what will happen to Jarod now that Raines has no one to control him.”

Miss Parker raised her eyebrows, not missing the psychiatrist’s slip up over her questionable parentage. “Relax Sydney, you and boy-wonder have an emotional umbilical cord. They need you.”

“Do you honestly believe that Miss Parker? Have you learned nothing in the past six years? It won’t be long before the Africans try to interfere. They want him just as badly as the Centre does.”

Parker sighed, growing uncomfortable at the psychiatrist’s obvious distress.

“He’ll be fine Sydney. He always is.” She said softly, a weak attempt to comfort the older man. It was blatantly obvious to her, after six years on the search that Sydney’s feelings for Jarod ran as deep as any normal father-son bond would. She had half expected Sydney to come barging in with some ‘how could you’ speech. Maybe he really did understand the cruel conclusion to the game they had been playing for the last six years. At the end of the day it was Jarod’s life or hers. Either way one of them was screwed.

“How did he look?” Sydney questioned, the concern evident in his voice.

“He came willingly if that’s what you mean. Relax Sydney, I’m not Lyle. I think Sam only had to encourage him once or twice. Jarod wasn’t exactly thrilled about getting off that airplane.” Parker answered honestly.

The pair was interrupted as Parker’s office phone rang. She impatiently grabbed the receiver, noting it was the extension of the tech-room. “What?” She snarled impatiently, knowing it was Broots. The tech had consistently bad timing.

“Miss Parker, it’s Broots. I have a lead on Jarod’s family.” The tech stated.

“Where?” She asked sharply.

California.”

“Big surprise.” She replied sarcastically, before continuing. “It’s my brother’s problem. I’ve done my part with the original labrat. Version 2.0 is Lyle’s responsibility. Tell him. It’s his turn to stumble around the west coast.”

Sydney reached over and grabbed Parker’s arm, trying to get her attention. “Not now Sydney.” She growled.

“Parker please! If Jarod’s family is really there, you can’t let Lyle go alone. We both know it won’t turn out for the best. Lyle will not allow any member of Jarod’s family to walk away. He will murder them.”

“That’s not my problem Sydney.”

“Then make it your problem. If anything was to happen to Jarod’s family, you know as well as I do, that he’ll be lost forever. If he’s ever meant anything to you, if any one thing he has done affected you positively in the smallest of ways, I ask you to please not turn your back on this. If you can’t do it for him, then do it for me. Please.” Sydney pleaded desperately.

“Miss Parker?” Broots questioned uncertainly, he had obviously overheard Sydney’s begging.

With a deep sigh, Parker studied the psychiatrist before her.

“I’ll be ready to go in twenty minutes. Make sure my idiot brother is there, I will not wait.”

“Yes Miss Parker.” Broots replied dutifully, before terminating the call.

“Thank you Parker.” Sydney whispered gratefully.

“Don’t misinterpret this Syd. I didn’t drag your boy across the country only to have him go postal on us. I’m doing this to protect the Centre’s investment, nothing else. One last favour; Monday I’m back in Corporate. There is no pretender circus over there.”

She wondered if Sydney believed her, anymore then she believed herself.