Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Post IOTH – minor spoilers – heavy MPJ
Feedback is very much appreciated. Thx :^)



Title: Amnesia, snowstorms and dreams for the future

By: Kris Russel

 

"Jarod! Stop or I'll shoot!"

"Parker, don't shoot him!" Sydney breathed heavily as he ran behind her through the dense forest.

"If he doesn't stop, I won't have much of a choice, will I?" She growled and cursed when she almost tripped over a big root.

Damned, her way too expensive designer shoes weren't made to run through a forest and jump over roots, branches and bushes. "Damned, where is that labrat?!"

Sydney almost bumped into her when she suddenly froze in her tracks.

"What is it?" He panted, trying to catch his breath.

She just looked stumped and pointed. It couldn't be this easy. Not after chasing him for five years.

Sydney followed the invisible line from her finger and let out a gasp.

"Jarod!" The older man exclaimed and ran towards the lifeless body on the ground.

"What happened?" Parker asked as she helped Sydney to turn Jarod on his back.

"I think he tripped and hit his head on this rock." Sydney answered as he studied the bleeding wound on Jarod's forehead. "He's unconscious."

"Great! Now what do we do?" She growled as the first snowflakes started falling around her. That snowstorm the lady in the motel had warned them about seemed to be starting. They had to get out of there before the weather got worse. But then there was the little problem of the unconscious pretender. This really wasn't her lucky day.

"We have to get him back to his cabin." Sydney said. "Before the storm really starts."

"I am NOT carrying him!" She exclaimed.

"Parker, we have to get him out of the snow. If we leave him here, he'll freeze to death."

She wanted to snap something, tell Sydney it actually would be a solution to all her problems and that letting him freeze to death was her ticket out of the Centre. But she couldn't. No matter how much she wanted to get out of that hellhole, she couldn't hurt Jarod in the process. Especially not after what had happened between them on Carthis and deep down inside she knew she had never really wanted to return or hurt him.

"Fine." She sighed.

Sydney nodded and got up. They positioned themselves next to Jarod and pulled him up. He was like a death weight, so pulling him up was a heavy task. When they finally had him draped between them, his arms around their necks, they started dragging him back to his latest lair.

They were completely exhausted and covered in snow when they finally made it into the cabin and flung Jarod on the bed.

"Take off his snow-covered clothes and boots while I light the fire." Sydney said and moved out of the bedroom.

"Syd!" She yelped and went after him. "I'll light the fire." Her emotions were already on a rollercoaster ride when Jarod was close; let alone when she was supposed to undress him.

"Parker, don't be ridiculous." Sydney said and walked outside to gather wood from the woodpile on the porch.

She let out a deep sigh and turned back to the bedroom. Glancing inside she looked at the unconscious form on the bed. It didn't feel right that they caught him like this. It didn't feel right that they caught him at all. Another sigh escaped her and she walked inside. First she shed her own thick coat and gloves. She shook the snow out of her hair and then glanced at Jarod. ~Damned, he still hasn't woken up.~ She cursed mentally and took a hold of his coat. When she unzipped it, she felt relieved when she saw he wore a thick sweater under his coat instead of his usual tight black t-shirt. Slightly lifting up his torso, she was able to get the coat away from him. He still felt like a death weight and she started to get worried. Why hadn't he woken up yet? She took off his snow-covered shoes, pulled him fully on the bed and draped the blankets over him. She walked towards the door and saw Sydney trying to light the fire. Letting out a sigh she walked back to the bed and sat on the side, gently caressing Jarod's stubbly cheek. It had been a long time since she had seen him sleep. The last time had been when they were kids. She softly smiled at that memory. It had been after another one of their explorations around The Centre. They had stayed in the air vent to talk some more about everything they could think of. Back then they loved to talk. She still liked to talk to Jarod and liked hearing his voice, but he always pissed her off with his stupid riddles and questions. Back then he didn't riddle or question her; they just talked and talked and talked while they lay down in the air vent. And that is how they fell asleep. Tired of talking, they just drifted off to sleep and she had woken up about an hour later with his arms around her and she had watched him sleep. He had looked completely peaceful and that was something she didn't often see.

"How is he?"

Her thoughts were interrupted by Sydney's voice.

"Still unconscious." She answered and quickly removed her hand from his face.

"I'll patch up his wound. Why don't you go check if there is any food here?"

Parker nodded and quickly hurried out of the room, glad she was away from Jarod so she could get her feelings in check again. She strolled into the small kitchen area and opened a few cupboards. Instant soup, instant cocoa and candy.

~How the hell does he keep that figure of his?~ She wondered and took out two mugs and two packs of tomato soup. "At least there's electricity." She mumbled and put up a kettle to heat water.

A few minutes later she walked back into the bedroom, carrying two steaming mugs.

Sydney was sitting on a chair next to Jarod's bed. A bandage was on the gash on Jarod's head, but he seemed to look pale to her.

"Here." Parker said and handed one of the mugs to Sydney.

He looked up at her in surprise but accepted it with a smile and a thank you.

"How is he?" She asked as she sat on the bed again.

"I am not sure." Sydney answered honestly with a sigh. "I hope he will wake up tonight, otherwise he could slip in a coma."

"A coma?" Parker gasped and stared at Jarod. "He just bumped his head." She whispered and softly brushed his cheek again.

Sydney looked at her small but gentle caress and slightly smiled. There was still hope for them. "He'll be ok, Parker. He has to be."

Parker looked back at Sydney and saw the worry flutter over his face.

"I hope so Syd, I hope so."

Sydney heard the slight distress in her voice. "If there is anything you want to tell him, do it now, before it is too late."

Suddenly the alarms in her head started ringing and her ice-queen wall was up again. She hastily took her hand away from Jarod and gave Sydney a killer-glare. "What the hell would I want to tell ratboy?" She barked and marched out of the room.

Sydney let out a deep sigh. He had hoped she would finally be able to give in to her feelings, but apparently she wasn't ready yet. If only she would confide in him. He would be able to help her. He needed to talk to her, but not now and not today. He knew that the sight of Jarod like this did more to her feelings than she had expected. She needed to get over that before he could talk to her.

Miss Parker let herself fall in the couch and a single tear rolled down her cheek. Damned, she didn't want Jarod to die. He had always been the only constant in her life. The way she had yelled at Sydney, when he faced her with the facts that Jarod could slip into a coma, was purely out of frustration. She didn't want Jarod to die. She didn't want to know why. No, she did know why; she just didn't want to face those feelings... not yet... maybe even never.

 

A couple of hours passed and Sydney had noticed no change in Jarod's condition. He stood up from the chair and walked into the living room. Miss Parker was poking the fire and threw in a log.

"Do you want to keep an eye on him for a while?" Sydney asked her.

She looked up from the fire to the older man. "Why?"

"I'm getting tired and I have problems keeping my eyes open." Sydney sat down on the couch. "I just want to try and sleep for a few hours."

Miss Parker nodded and strolled to the bedroom.

"Parker, if there is any change in his condition, do not hesitate to wake me. And talk to him. It might help."

"Whatever." Was all she said as she halfheartedly walked into the adjoining room.

The sight of the lifeless pretender made her insides turn again. She sat down in the chair with a sigh.

After about half an hour of just staring at him, Sydney's words came back to her: ‘Talk to him. It might help'. She swallowed hard and inched forward as she took Jarod's hand in hers. "Sydney told me to talk to you. But to be honest I don't know what to say. I know that when we were kids we could talk for hours about the stupidest things, but we're not those kids anymore." A soft sigh escaped her mouth. "And we'll never be those kids again." She turned silent again. Damned, this wasn't easy. She had so much to tell him, but most of it would just lead up to one thing. And she wasn't ready to talk to him about it yet, unconscious or not. Heck, she wasn't even ready to talk to herself about it.

Another hour slowly passed and she just held his hand. That was her way of supporting him, just being there for him. Somehow she knew that he was aware of her presence. Maybe because the voice in her head told her so, but then again, she never really listened to that voice. It told her to do things she didn't want to do and to trust people she wasn't ready to trust.

She slowly started to doze off but abruptly jumped up, wide-awake, squeezing Jarod's hand. She had felt it, she had felt his hand twitch and squeeze hers.

"Jarod, come on. Come back to the living. Come on, Jarod. Please, come back to me. Come on genius, don't leave me." She whispered in his ear.

A half-moan/half-groan escaped the man's mouth. "My head hurts." He groaned.

"Ok, I'll bring you something for it. Just try to open your eyes, but take it easy. I'll be right back." She said softly.

He only moaned in response and she quickly left the room.

"Syd, he's awake!" She gave the doctor a push and he woke up instantly. "You have any aspirin?"

"He's awake?" Sydney asked surprise.

"Yes! Now give me an aspirin!"

"Right." Sydney jumped up from the couch and quickly started rummaging through his backpack. "Here." He said and handed her a box.

She took it from him, went to get a glass of water from the kitchen and hurried back into the bedroom.

"Here, just let it dissolve before you drink it." Parker said and handed Jarod the glass. He had his eyes open, but confusion was written all over his face and he looked tired.

She sat back in the chair and Sydney entered the room. Jarod looked up at him with the same puzzled look in his eyes.

After downing the water, he put the glass on his nightstand and faced Miss Parker again.

"Who are you?" He asked with a weak and worried voice.

She looked stunned for a split second, but quickly turned serious again. "Very funny labrat, drop the act."

"It's not a..." He tried

"Jarod!" She spat.

"Your name is Jarod?" He asked surprised. "Doesn't sound like a girl's name."

Before Miss Parker could say anything else, Sydney quickly intervened. "No, your name is Jarod. I am Sydney and this is Miss Parker."

"You know who I am?" Jarod's voice sounded even smaller, but with a trace of hope.

"Yes." Sydney answered. "Don't you?"

"No." Jarod whispered. "Please tell me."

Sydney shook his head. "It would be of no use. Your memory has to come back on its own. There is nothing either of us can do."

"But I don't know who I am." Tears appeared in his eyes and Parker finally realized he wasn't faking it. She took his hand in hers and got herself a quizzical look from the confused man.

"You'll figure it out and we'll be here to help you." She said in a soft and comforting voice. Sydney looked at her with a slight smile. Yes, there was still hope for her.

Jarod smiled and squeezed her hand. He didn't know why, but she made him feel more at ease. "Thank you." He said with a slight nod.

"Just lie down and get some rest. I'll bring you something to eat." Sydney said.

Jarod nodded and lay down, but he didn't let go of Miss Parker's hand.

She softly smiled as Sydney left the room. "Jarod, if you don't let go of my hand, I can't get you something to eat."

"Sydney's taking care of that." Jarod answered and turned his head to look at her.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." She muttered.

"So, err... are we related or something like that?" ~Please don't tell me I have these feelings for a relative.~

"No." She said and he let out an inaudible but relieved sigh. "Sydney raised you, but he isn't your dad. And we... we grew up together."

Jarod nodded. "And where is my family?"

"You were looking for them."

"Oh." He seemed to disappear in his own thoughts after that. "So..." He said after a few moments of silence. "What's our relationship?"

"Nothing." She promptly answered and pulled her hand away from his. He looked hurt for a second, but she chose to ignore it. "Like I said, we grew up together, then didn't see each other for a very long time and now... we're... working for the same... corporation."

"Oh." He said again, but it had a slight disappointed feeling. "Are you married?" He asked in a worried tone.

"No."

"Am I?"

"Not as far as I know."

"Good." He declared and gazed at the ceiling.

She just stared at him in utter confusion and got up from the chair. "Sydney will bring your food soon." She said and turned towards the door.

"Miss Parker?"

"Yes Jarod?" She answered with a sigh but didn't turn back to face him.

"What's your first name?"

"Let me know when you remember." She said and walked out of the room.

 

After Sydney brought Jarod a cup of steaming soup, he sat down in the recliner and stared at Miss Parker on the couch.

"What?" She snapped when she caught his stare.

"Are you ok?" He asked concerned.

"I'm fine." She growled and turned away from his gaze.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked.

"I'm fine!" She barked.

"Parker, I'm a shrink. Hiding your feelings from me is of no use. Why can't you confide in me like your mother did?"

She turned to him with glaring eyes. "Because I-am-NOT-my mother!"

Sydney just nodded and flipped open his book. "Just try to get some sleep. It's been a rough day for all of us."

Although she hated to admit that he was right, he did have point. She was exhausted and she had been wide-awake for over 20 hours. Closing her eyes, she slowly drifted off.

 

About three hours later both people were awakened by a horrified scream. Both jumped up and were in the bedroom in barely a second. The scene there scared them both. Jarod was clearly dreaming, but he was screaming loud, pleading for his life and thrashing around his arms and legs.

"Mon Dieu." Sydney whispered and tried to get closer, but when he talked to Jarod, the screams only grew louder. "Parker, you try to calm him down while I search for a sedative."

Sydney was already out of the room before she could object. Slowly she crept closer to the bed and tried to hold one of his thrashing hands. "Shhh, Jarod, it's ok. Calm down, it's just a dream. Calm down." To her surprise he seemed to become calmer. "That's it Jarod, calm down, it's only a dream." She got closer to him and gently caressed his cheek with her free hand and sat down on the bed. "You're not alone and it's just a dream, calm down Jarod, calm down."

His breathing seemed to get steady again and his trashing body seemed to relax more. Sydney stood in the doorway with a syringe and a vial, but he kept his distance.

Finally Jarod opened his eyes and stared in surprise at her. Before she could do anything, his arms were around her in a crushing hug. She tried not to hug him back, but his body was trembling and he was softly crying and she couldn't help herself as she wrapped her arms around him. "It's ok. I'm here." She whispered in his ear and softly kissed his hair. "It's ok. It was just a dream." Her own actions surprised her, but he visibly relaxed and that made her feel good, which amazed her even more.

Sydney smiled, walked away from the room and quietly closed the door.

Jarod slowly released her, but his arms stayed around her. "Thank you." He whispered.

She just smiled and gently brushed his cheek.

"Please stay." He asked.

"I... I can't." She whispered and pulled her arms away from him, but he held her.

"Please... I... I want to sleep, but I'm afraid... I don't want the nightmares to return. They won't return when you're here."

"How can you know?" She asked.

"I just know." He whispered. "Please, stay with me."

Her mind was screaming no, but her heart saw that scared little boy who had asked her the exact same question so many years ago. She tried to stop her head from nodding, but she couldn't. A genuine smile appeared on his face as he scooted over and made room for her.

"In bed?" She asked shocked.

"Trust me. I just want you... need you close. And besides I don't do one-night stands with women I don't know." His grin was honest, as were his eyes.

Again she tried to stop herself but couldn't as she took off her shoes and joined him under the blankets. Her back was turned to him and he inched closer to her. Carefully placing his arm around her waist, he let his hand rest on her belly. He got even closer until his chest brushed her back and he could smell her shampoo. Her smell had something familiar to him, but he couldn't place it. Not yet anyway.

Miss Parker's heart was racing when she felt him so close and her body was reacting in ways she had long forgotten. She swallowed hard and tried to steady her breathing. Damned, she couldn't be feeling this for him. Anyone but him... She thanked every god she could think off that they were both almost fully clothed. If they had both been half-naked... ~No Parker, don't go there!~

 

Around 8 AM Sydney opened his eyes and yawned hard. He got up from the couch and stretched his back. It wasn't a comfy couch, but he had no problem with it. He had slept in much worse places and under much harder conditions. Glancing around, he noticed the room was still empty. He looked at the bedroom and saw that the door was still closed. A smile crept on his face as he walked into the small kitchen area and made coffee.

 

Miss Parker awoke as the smell of fresh coffee hit her senses. She was instantly aware of the other body that was laying half on top of her. She was laying on her belly and Jarod was laying half on top of her, their legs were entwined, as was one pair of their hands next to her face. She studied their joined hands and softly smiled. Their hands fit perfectly together.

His soft and steady breathing told her that he was still very much asleep and she was afraid to move. After his horrible nightmare, she didn't want to wake him up now that he was peacefully sleeping and besides, she liked the feeling of his body on hers. ~No Parker, knock it off. Don't think like that. You have to take him back. You can't give in to your feelings.~ But she still didn't move.

 

"Good morning." He whispered in her ear about ten minutes later. His warm breath on her neck gave her goose bumps over her entire body.

"Good morning." She mumbled. "How did you know I was awake?"

"Your breathing is heavier when you sleep."

"Oh." She said and wondered how he knew that.

"I remembered something tonight." He stated and slowly raised his body of off hers.

She turned to him with a questioning look. "What is it?"

"I think our first meeting. That's how it felt anyway." He propped himself half up on his elbow and looked at her. She had turned on her back and his hand was resting on her belly. For some reason she didn't object.

"Tell me what you remember." She said.

"It's still vague, but I remember a girl behind a glass wall. I just know it's you. How... how old were we?"

"I was 9. I don't really know how old you were." ~Heck I don't even know how old you are now.~ "And you're right. It was our first meeting."

"Why was there a glass wall between us?"

"I... well..." ~Damned, why did he have to ask that?~ "That's something you need to remember on your own." She quickly said and got out of the bed. But before she could get out of the room he called after her.

"Miss Parker, I remember my feelings when I first saw you."

~Jarod would never talk like this. Walk away. Jarod would never do this. Jarod...~ Her thoughts were interrupted when he put his hand on her shoulder and brought his lips to her ear.

"I thought you were the most marvelous and amazing creature I had ever seen." He whispered in her ear.

"Jarod..." She croaked when he cupped her face and turned her to face him.

"I know it's stupid. I mean, I don't even remember you besides that one memory, but my feelings are so strong and overwhelming. Please tell me what our relationship is. Why do I feel so connected to you?"

Her breathing stalled for just a second as she saw his pleading eyes. "I... I can't tell you, please don't make me tell you. You'll understand when you remember. But please, don't make me tell you about our past."

He looked disappointed but slowly nodded. She pushed him away and walked out of the room, towards the smell of coffee.

 

"Good morning, Parker." Sydney said cheerfully. "Sleep well?"

"Hello Sydney." Was her only reply as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

He frowned when she didn't answer his question, but decided to ignore it. "How is Jarod doing?"

"Up and running." She muttered and retreated to the couch.

Something definitely happened between them and Sydney wanted to know what. He joined Parker on the couch, but before he could talk to her, Jarod left the bedroom and walked towards the kitchen.

"Good morning, Jarod. Sleep well?" Sydney asked just as cheerful as before.

"Like a baby." Jarod grinned, helped himself to some coffee and then sat down in the recliner.

"No more nightmares?" Sydney asked worried.

"No, only good dreams." Jarod smiled and sipped his coffee.

"What was the nightmare about?" Sydney asked curiously.

"It was weird. I was in some sort of bubble and there was a fire. I had to find a way out, but the fire was so hot. I could hear you in the background trying to comfort me, but it didn't really help. Not really. I just felt so helpless."

The other two heard the anguish in his voice and Parker had to keep herself in check not to walk over to him and comfort him. She had to keep her distance from him. Right now that man wasn't really Jarod... Not really...

"Your subconscious is trying to kick start your memory with those dreams." Sydney explained.

"My memory? That dream was part of my memory?" His voice sounded shocked and neither of them could blame him. "What the hell happened to me when I was a child?"

"Jarod, we can't tell you. The stories would only distress you more and it won't help you to get your memory back."

"I'm not even sure I want to remember if my life was like that." Jarod sighed.

"I know it won't be easy, but you'll remember eventually. If you want to or not." Sydney said. "Is there anything you remember already?"

Jarod nodded and glanced at Parker. "Just one thing."

Parker sighed and got up from the couch. She didn't want to hear this again. Standing in front of the window, she stared outside. There was at least half a meter snow and it was still snowing. It would be days before they would be able to leave here. Damned!

"Parker, are you ok?" Sydney asked and gently put his hand on her shoulder. "Jarod just told me what happened in the bedroom."

"Yeah, well, that proves it. Jarod would never talk to you about that. He'd know I'd hate it. That man isn't Jarod. He may look like him, smell like him, sound like him and even feel like him, but he's not Jarod!" She screamed in frustration and stomped inside the bedroom, closing the door behind her with a bang.

Jarod looked utterly confused at the closed door. "Should I...?" He turned to Sydney.

"No Jarod. Just leave her alone for a while. This isn't easy for her either."

The younger man nodded and stared at the flames in the fireplace.

"It's weird Sydney. I can't really remember her, but I think I love her."

A soft smile appeared on Sydney's lips and he sat back down in the couch. "Focus on that feeling Jarod. It may help you remember."

Jarod nodded and smiled. He was certain it would help him.

 

Parker stood behind the closed door in shock. She had overheard their conversation and she felt confused and completely shocked. ~He loves me! Jarod loves me! No Parker, he's not Jarod, he's just confused right now. He doesn't know what he's saying. Jarod would never say something like that to Sydney. Don't give into your feelings with him, not even when he remembers. He's Jarod, this can't be happening! This shouldn't be happening. I just have to stay strong and detached, just like I was on that airstrip in Scotland. But can I do that again? Damned, I saw in his eyes how his heart broke. I can't see that again. But you have to Parker; you have no choice. Do it for you. Do it for him. The only way he'll ever be safe and free is when he severs all ties to The Centre. That includes you. The only way you'll ever be safe and free is when you sever all ties to The Centre. That includes him. But... No, no buts! But I love him!~

That realization struck her so hard, she had to sit down on the bed and catch her breath. ~I can't love him... How can I love him... I'm supposed to hate him... I'm supposed to distrust him... How can I love him?~

Tears appeared in her eyes and she felt utterly defeated. ~I can't let him know... Whatever happens, I can't let him know. I have to get back to The Centre after this. I can't let him know how I feel. He'll try to stop me and then we'll both be in danger. Damned, why does this have to be so complicated? Why can't I have a normal life?~

 

That night Sydney, who was sleeping in the recliner, and Miss Parker, who was sleeping on the couch, were again awakened by horrified screams.

Sydney hurried towards the bedroom, but Miss Parker reluctantly stayed on the couch.

"Parker, please. It's worse than yesterday. Please help me to calm him down." Sydney pleaded.

She looked at the older man and saw tears forming in his eyes.

"Please Parker." He pleaded again and she heard the crack in his voice.

She inwardly cursed and got up from the couch. But when she looked inside the bedroom, her heart shrunk. Jarod had kicked off his blankets and sheets, he was heavily sweating, his breathing was labored, horrified screams escaped his throat and he held his arms protectively in front of him while his legs were kicking around.

"Jarod..." She whispered and was by his side in barely a second.

The moment she took one of his hands, sat on the bed and started talking to him, he calmed down.

Sydney let out a relieved breath, walked out of the room and closed the door behind him.

"Miss Parker..." Jarod croaked when he opened his eyes a few moments later. Before she could object his arms were around her again and he pulled her down on the bed with him. They stayed wrapped in each other's arms for what seemed to be an eternity. Her head was resting on his chest and half of her body was covering his.

"I can't stay." She finally managed to whisper.

"Please stay, I need you to keep the nightmares away. Please Miss Parker, please."

"Jarod I can't." She objected and tried to get away from him, but he held her tight.

"Please Miss Parker." He whispered and she could hear the pain in his voice. "I need you. Please stay."

"I can't." She whispered.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because you're not Jarod. You don't remember how to be him. You don't remember who you are! I love Jarod, I can't love you!" The moment she said it, she realized it and she let out a slight gasp. So did he.

"You love me?" He whispered.

Without answering she pushed herself off of him and ran out of the bedroom, straight into the bathroom, which she locked. He was right behind her and almost ran against the bathroom door.

"Miss Parker, please, don't do this. Talk to me."

"Go away!"

He could hear her sobs and felt worried. "Please Miss Parker, come out and talk to me."

Sydney came to Jarod and put his hand on the younger man's shoulder. "What happened?"

"She admitted she loved me. Well, not me, but the other me. As far as she's concerned I'm a completely different person now. Sydney, what if my memory never comes completely back to me? How can I let her know that I love and need her without scaring her away and will she ever truly love me without constantly thinking of the other me?"

Sydney reassuringly squeezed his shoulder. "Just have faith that your memory will come back to you. If it doesn't, no one can predict what will happen to you and the people around you."

"I need her Sydney. I need her to help me."

"I know son, I know." Sydney let out a soft sigh. "Look, I'll try to talk to her and you just try to get some sleep."

"I can't sleep Sydney. I'm too scared the nightmares will return. I need her to help me fight the nightmares."

"I understand. But just go into the bedroom and close the door. Give us some privacy."

Jarod reluctantly nodded and did as Sydney had asked.

After the door was closed, Sydney turned back to the bathroom door and softly knocked on it.

"Parker, I'm here for you. Talk to me."

"Go away Sydney. I'm not interested in exposing my soul to you or anyone else."

"Parker, talk to me. Don't let your feelings consume you."

"That won't happen Syd, I'm perfectly capable of controlling my feelings."

"Is that why you told Jarod you loved him?"

Silence greeted him on the other side of the door and Sydney sighed.

"Parker, your mother used to trust me, why can't you?"

Again his question was answered by silence. "Damned Parker! Answer me!"

Nothing. Sydney started to feel worried.

"Why are you yelling?" Jarod asked from the bedroom door.

"She's not answering me. I don't like this."

"Get out of the way, Sydney."

The moment Sydney was away from the door. Jarod ran towards it and crashed it in with a huge bang. The bathroom was empty.

"Jarod, the window." Sydney pointed to the opened window.

"She ran out? Without shoes, without her coat? She'll freeze to death, it's still snowing." Jarod ran out of the bathroom, put on his shoes and coat and grabbed her coat.

"Jarod, the snowstorm is still raging outside. Please be careful. I don't want to lose both of you."

"My life is worth nothing without her Sydney. I have to do this."

"I know." Sydney nodded.

 

The snowstorm was raging hard as Jarod stepped out of the cabin. He was immediately covered in the white substance. How was he ever going to track her in this weather?

With as much resolve as he could muster, he walked to the bathroom window and started his search there. The combination of snow and sneering winds made his vision blurred and he felt frozen to his core almost right away. Not even his thick coat did him a lot of good against the freezing wind. That made him even more worried about her.

"Miss Parker!" He yelled, but he barely heard his own voice. Damned, that wouldn't work either. ~Think Jarod, think. Think like her. Become her.~ To his own surprise he did exactly that. And he found her a few minutes later. He would have missed her if he hadn't seen a part of her dark sweater sticking out of the snow. She was completely covered in snow and she felt very cold. He turned her on her back and put her coat around her. "Come on Parker. Don't leave me. I need you." He easily lifted her in his arms and began the track back to the cabin.

 

"You found her!" Sydney exclaimed both surprised and relieved as Jarod entered the cabin again.

"Sydney, quickly fill the bathtub with hot water. Hurry!"

Sydney nodded and ran towards the bathroom.

Jarod put Parker down on the couch and checked her heartbeat. It felt weak, but it was still there. Without hesitation he began undressing her. First her coat, then her soaked sweater, t-shirt and undershirt. He tried not to get distracted by the cute laced black bra and began unbuttoning her soaked pants. Her feet felt extremely cold as he took off her socks and pants. Jarod quickly draped a warm blanket over her and took her hands in his. "Come on Parker, fight the cold. Fight it."

"The bath is ready." Sydney announced a few moments later.

Jarod nodded and lifted Parker in his arms again and carried her inside the small bathroom. "We need to get you warm again, Parker." He took the blanket off of her and carefully lowered her into the tub.

 

"Jarod." She whispered after soaking for about 15 minutes.

"Hey Parker." He smiled and gently touched her cheek. "You're warming up; you're going to be just fine."

She didn't open her eyes and just nodded.

Another ten minutes later, he emptied the tub and lifted her out. He carried her into the bedroom and sat her on the bed while he dried her with the towel Sydney had brought.

"Parker, you're gonna kill me for doing this, but it's for your own good. You can't wear wet clothes... no matter how small they are..." ~You're a doctor, you have no feelings for your patient, only think about her well being.~ And he began to claps open her bra, took it off and lay her down on the bed. He let out a small gasp as he stared at her perfectly formed breasts. ~God she's beautiful... NO! Jarod, you're a doctor, focus on your work.~ He then gently took her panties off and quickly covered her with the blankets.

"How is she?" Sydney asked worried as Jarod entered the living area.

"She'll be fine. She just needs to stay warm." Jarod answered as he finally took off his soaked coat and boots.

"You know, Jarod, the best way to keep a person warm is body heat."

Jarod stared at his mentor for a moment. "Yes... I know. But how will she react when she wakes up in the morning and finds herself naked in my arms?"

Sydney chuckled at the thought of a furious Parker. "I honestly don't know Jarod, but don't you think her health is more important then her reaction in the morning?"

Jarod nodded. "You're right." He walked back into the bedroom and closed the door behind him. Sydney moved from the recliner to the couch with a slight smile plastered on his face.

 

Jarod stood next to the bed and stared at her sleeping form. Would he be able to control himself? It was already hard to control himself when they were dressed, let alone when she was naked... ~Don't think about that Jarod. Don't think about that.~

He quickly undressed until his boxers were the only thing left. The temperature in the room was chillier then he thought, so he quickly got under the blankets. The bed wasn't that big, so he immediately felt her cold skin touching his warm skin. He gently pushed her on her side and wrapped his arms around her belly and chest, trying desperately not to touch her breasts. He pulled her against his body and entwined his legs with hers. ~She's not naked. She's not naked. Forget that she's naked.~

"Jarod?" She whispered.

"Shh, it's ok. I'm here to keep you warm. Just sleep." He whispered and kissed her wet hair.

She softly moaned and pushed herself deeper into his warm body. He couldn't help but groan. ~Forget that she's naked. Ignore that she's naked. She's not naked!~

 

In the morning Sydney opened his eyes and slowly got up from the couch. He looked outside and let out a relieved sigh. It had finally stopped snowing. But after the blizzard of last night, another half meter of snow had piled up and they were completely snowed in now. He glanced around the cabin and noticed that the bedroom door was still closed. He got a flash-back feeling to yesterday as he walked to the kitchen area and made coffee.

 

When Parker woke up, the first two realizations she had was that she was naked and that there was an almost naked body covering her. They lay in the exact same position as the day before. She on her belly and he half on her back, their hands in front of her face were clutched together. But hell, yesterday they were wearing clothes and now... well, now they weren't. She tried to remember what happened the night before, but the last thing she could remember was that she was running through snow. What the heck had she been thinking? She could have died and she just knew that the only reason she was still alive was the man on top of her. And then it dawned on her why she had become so desperate to start running through a blizzard... She had told him she loved him.

"Oh god." She moaned with a whisper.

"Good morning to you too." Jarod's voice whispered in her ear. His warm breath sent a shiver down her spine.

"What happened?"

"You decided to take a walk in a snowstorm and I had to keep you warm after dragging you back inside."

"Isn't it warmer in clothes?"

He could hear the sarcasm in her voice and he couldn't help but smile. "They were soaked and body heat distributes much better through the skin."

"Ah, that explains why we're both naked." She sighed.

A soft chuckled escaped his throat. "You know, I have to thank you."

"What for?"

"For giving me my memory back, Monica." He whispered her name so softly while blowing it in her ear that it sent another, more powerful, shiver down her spine.

"How?" She croaked, her voice barely audible.

"When I had to save you, everything came back to me: all my memories and all my knowledge. So thank you for risking your life to give me back mine." He eased off of her and gently turned her until she was facing him.

"Jarod, I can't." She whispered.

"Tell me to stop if you really can't." He breathed on her lips and softly brushed them with his. She returned his kiss without hesitation and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer and deepening the kiss. Soon their tongues were fighting for control over a kiss that seemed to last an eternity. Both their bodies were reacting to the passion of the kiss and Jarod trailed her curves with his free hand. Their passion deepened and she never did say stop.

 

Sydney looked up from his book with a frown and turned to the closed bedroom door. A smile formed on his face. "It's about time." He chuckled and turned back to his book, ignoring the moans and cries coming out of the room.

 

Late in the afternoon, Jarod and Miss Parker finally made it out of the bedroom. They both looked a bit stunned at Sydney who was watching them with a grin from the couch.

"Uhm, hey Syd." Jarod mumbled with a slight blush on his cheeks. They had completely forgotten about the presence of the older man in the small cabin and they were certain he had heard a lot of what had happened in the bedroom.

"Hello Jarod, Miss Parker." Sydney's smile seemed to grow with each word. "Jarod, you called me Syd, does that mean...?"

"Yes, my memory is back. It got a kick-start when I had to save Mo... Parker last night."

"I know her name is Monica, Jarod, I heard you scream it more than once." Sydney tried to sound serious, but he couldn't suppress a small chuckle at the younger man's stunned face and Parker's reddening cheeks.

"Syd, I... we... euh..." Jarod stumbled. "We're sorry, we're..."

"Jarod." Sydney said more serious again. "Do not apologize. I am very happy for the both of you. And do not ever apologize about expressing your love. What does it matter that I heard most of it? It is simply part of life and you shouldn't hold back because of my presence."

"So you're uh ok with this, with us?" Miss Parker asked, sounding uncertain. For some reason it was important for her that Sydney gave his blessing.

Sydney got up from the couch and hugged them both. "I'm more than ok with it. I'm absolutely thrilled that you're finally able to express your love for each other."

Both Parker and Jarod let out a relieved breath. Sydney's approval meant a lot for both of them, more than either of them had thought possible.

 

***

 

"Hey honey, what are you thinking about?" Jarod asked as he stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her against him.

Parker was staring out of the window. "The snow is almost gone. We'll have to leave tomorrow."

He heard the sadness in her voice and turned her around to face him. "Monica sweetie, we've been given the most amazing nine days anyone could wish for. And leaving you after this will be the hardest thing I'll ever have to do, but we both know you have to return. We can't leave Sydney, Broots, Angelo and baby Parker in their hands."

Parker nodded and buried her head in his neck. "I don't want to leave you Jarod, I love you."

He hugged her tight and kissed her hair. "I love you too Monica, more then I ever thought possible. But don't think about leaving just yet, let's just enjoy today and tonight."

She raised her head and captured his lips with hers.

Sydney looked at the scene tenderly. He had seen them kissing more times then he could remember, but he still couldn't help but feel proud and overjoyed every time he looked at them.

 

The next morning Parker awoke alone in bed. She let out a sigh and tears appeared in her eyes as she glanced around. All his clothes and his bag were gone. He was gone. She had expected this, but she didn't realize it would hurt so much. Damned, she already missed him. Reluctantly crawling out of bed, she walked out of the bedroom. Sydney was still asleep on the couch and she let him sleep. Looking at the table, a soft sob escaped her throat. The DSA-case was gone. That meant he was really gone. She stumbled to the recliner and sat down heavily. Her head disappeared in her arms and she sobbed softly. ~Why does it have to hurt so much?~

 

Jarod had been driving for more than two hours now and he finally allowed his tears to flow. He had left his heart behind in that cabin and it hurt like hell. Leaving her without a word really was the hardest thing he ever had to do, but he also knew that if he had waited until she was awake, he would never have been able to leave. He missed her so much already, but he knew that as long as The Centre existed, they wouldn't be able to have a future together. If he wanted to make his dreams come true, his dreams of raising a family with her, he had to destroy The Centre. Determination settled in him, a determination bigger then ever before: The Centre had to be destroyed, once and for all.

 

*****

 

Broots had noticed something had changed after they returned. Miss Parker acted differently. She seemed nicer. He was certain that no one else had noticed it; he barely noticed it because it was just something in her eyes that had changed. Most of the time she was her old self, the ice-queen, a superwoman without feelings. But every now and then, a small twinkle in her eyes made her look softer, made her look human. He noticed that the twinkle usually appeared when they talked about Jarod. It made him wonder what had really happened during their absence. Sydney and Miss Parker had told Raines and Lyle that Jarod had been gone when they arrived at the cabin but that the snowstorm had already started and they couldn't get back to the car. Somehow Broots didn't believe them, but he never told them.

 

Two months had passed since their return and they hadn't found a single trace of Jarod. It worried the balding man, but he had no idea how much it worried Miss Parker and Sydney. Neither of them had gotten a phone call or letter or package.

 

"Parker, are you ok?" Sydney asked when he walked into her office after he had seen her disappear inside with tears in her eyes.

"I'm fine." She huffed and turned to the window.

"I'm worried too. Should I come by your house tonight so we can talk?"

She didn't reply but just nodded.

"Good. I'll come by around 8." And he left her office again.

Parker sighed and picked up her phone. "Broots, I'm taking the rest of the day off... No, I don't have to explain myself to you!" She slammed the phone down and waltzed out of her office.

 

Miss Parker walked inside her house and slammed the door shut. She walked straight to the liquor cabinet and poured herself a big drink. With a sigh she fell in her couch and kicked off her shoes. After gulping a big part of the drink, she put the glass on her side table and took the book that was on it. Flipping through it, a picture fell out and she picked it up with a slight smile. She looked at it and a tear escaped her eye. It was a picture of Jarod and her at the cabin. Sydney had taken it without their knowledge and gave it to her about a week after they had returned. It was an amazing picture. Jarod and she had been standing in front of a snow-covered window while they were talking. Their conversation had moved to Faith and to comfort her he had given her the most loving kiss on her forehead while their arms were wrapped around each other. Sydney had taken that moment to shoot the photo. This simple picture was filled with the love these two people felt for each other.

Another sigh escaped her mouth as she fingered the photo.

"That's a beautiful picture."

She jumped up from the couch and turned around. "Jarod!?" She gasped and was in his arms barely a second later.

He hugged her tight and almost lifted her off the floor. "God, I missed you so much." He whispered and kissed her. She kissed him back without hesitation. The kiss was filled with love and longing.

When they released each other, she let out a growl and punched him in the face.

Jarod let out a painful yelp, stumbled backwards and fell on the floor. She pulled out her gun and pointed it at him; her eyes seemed to breathe fire.

"You fucking bastard! Do you have any fucking idea what you did to me? What you did to Sydney? We didn't hear any fucking thing from you for over two months! We thought something happened to you! Do you have any idea how worried we were? I barely slept in the last three weeks because I thought I lost you." Tears were streaming down her face and she was yelling so hard she would probably lose her voice if she kept it up for a couple more minutes. "I thought I lost the love of my life. After mom and Tommy I didn't want to love again. You changed that and then you go disappearing on me without a word. I hate you Jarod. I hate you for doing that to me."

She aimed the gun at his head and right at that moment he was sure she would shoot him without hesitation.

"Parker, please, listen to me." He pleaded, still sitting on the floor and rubbing the painful spot on his face. "I know how to bring them down. I know how to gain our freedom. Our real freedom. We can get away from them. Together."

"Together!!!?" She took a step closer and took off the safety.

Jarod swallowed hard and tears were forming in his eyes. "Please Monica, listen to me. Let me explain."

"Don't ever call me like that again you fucking bastard. You don't deserve to call me that anymore." Her eyes were still spiting fire, but when she looked into his soft pleading eyes that were filled with worry, terror and love, she let out an inaudible sigh. "You got five minutes. You're dead if I don't like what I hear." She could never kill him of course, but terrorizing him like this was the only way she could really hide her pain.

He nodded and slowly rose, letting out a painful gasp, he carefully brushed his bruised cheek. "You have some ice?"

"Four and a half minutes." Was her cold answer.

He sighed and brushed a lock of hair out off his eyes. "When I left you behind in that cabin I felt lost and broken. I cried for a long time, until I realized we wouldn't be able to have a future together if The Centre was always breathing down our necks. In the days we were together, I started dreaming about us. Not just as a couple, but as a family, with kids, married and happy." He looked at her and saw that her eyes had softened a bit and her gun was now aimed at his chest instead of his head. "I knew the only way for us to be together and have that future was when The Centre was gone. So I took the hardest decision I ever had to make. I decided to disappear. Disappear from The Centre and from Sydney, but most difficult was disappearing from you. The only thing that kept me going were my dreams of our future together. I rented a small cabin in the mountains and disappeared. I didn't contact The Centre, I didn't do any pretends and I didn't look for my family. My only focus was the destruction of that hellhole. And I got it. I know how to bring them down. We can have that future together. Please Parker, you have no idea how much I missed you, how much I love you. I'm sorry I disappeared on you. I'm so sorry I hurt you. But please, give me another chance. Let me make it up to you."

Her gun was completely lowered now and tears were in her eyes again. "You... you want to marry me?" That was about all she remembered from his entire speech.

He softly smiled and pulled her on the couch next to him. "I was hoping I could ask it in a more romantic atmosphere with a ring and all, but yes. I want to marry you, I want to become your husband and I want us to start a family."

"With kids?" She asked with big eyes.

He softly cupped her face in his hand and nodded. "I would love to have kids with you."

"I never saw myself as a mommy." She whispered and leaned into his touch.

He smiled and pulled her into a hug. "You take after your mom so you'll make an amazing mother."

She softly laughed, but turned serious again and pulled away from him. "Do you have any idea how worried I was?"

He took her hands in his and softly squeezed them. "I am so sorry about that sweetheart. I know that sorry isn't saying much, but give me time and I will make it up to you. I swear I'll make it up to you. Please give me another chance."

A wicked twinkle appeared in her eyes. "I'll try. Do you have anything planned for tonight?"

His smile grew. "I thought about cooking you a wonderful and romantic meal."

"And after that?" She whispered, inching closer.

"Anything you'd wish..." He said hoarsely as he closed the distance between them and softly kissed her.

"Ooh, I got an idea or two." She mumbled between kisses as she pushed him down on the couch and began unbuttoning his shirt.

 

About two hours later they both awoke from the sound of the doorbell. They had never made it to the bed and fell asleep naked on the couch. Parker was laying on Jarod and he didn't mind the weight on him. She glanced at her watch and worry filled her.

"It's only 4.30PM. Sydney won't be here until 8PM. Quickly! Hide."

Jarod nodded, grabbed his clothes and disappeared upstairs after giving her a quick kiss.

Parker quickly threw her clothes on and the bell rang again. "Be right there!" She shouted and after checking the living room to make sure there was no sign of Jarod or their little adventure, she went to open the front door.

"Lyle..." She growled.

"Hello sis." He said and made a sign with his thumb-less hand. Three sweepers busted in, pushing her aside.

"Lyle, what the hell are you doing?" She asked, sounding furious.

"Jarod was spotted in town buying groceries and then you took the rest of the day off. Dad thought it was too much of a coincidence and told me to come and sweep your house."

"Raines is just as insane as you are Lyle." She couldn't call that wheeze-bag father. Never! "Why would I try to hide that labrat? I'd prefer my freedom over his."

"Right." Lyle mumbled and walked inside. He sniffed his nose and a menacing smile crept up his face. "It smells like sex here sis."

"So? Can't I have a little fun when I want to?"

"'Course you can. But where is he?"

"He left about an hour ago and I fell asleep."

"Right." Lyle mumbled again and his eyes roamed over her body, thinking about the man who'd been lucky enough to touch her.

His gaze gave her an unsettling feeling. God he was her brother, how could he even think about her in a sexual way? But then again, this was Lyle...

They were both taken out of their thoughts when the sweepers approached them.

"Well?" Lyle snapped.

"Nothing Mr. Lyle." They answered in unison.

"Hmm." Lyle growled and walked outside again behind the sweepers.

"What's the matter Lyle, disappointed I don't fuck rats?"

Before he could reply, she slammed the door shut in his face. Turning around she let out a relieved sigh, but wondered where Jarod was. She waited a couple of minutes at the stairs but she didn't hear a single noise. Worry filled her, worry that he left again. She was quite sure the sweepers hadn't found a trace of him, but she still felt worried that he had left her again. She was so deep in thought that she was completely surprised by the hand that suddenly covered her mouth. Before she could kick him away, a shushing sound came into her ear and she recognized Jarod's voice. She relaxed again and turned around. He shushed her again and walked to her radio. He turned it on and turned up the volume. It was a bit harder then she liked, but she didn't say anything, wondering what he was up too. He walked back to her and brought his lips to her ear. Barely audible he whispered: "The sweepers placed bugs. I'm gonna go find them. In the meantime don't say anything that could reveal my presence."

Parker nodded and he disappeared in the bedroom. She sat down on the couch and patiently waited for his return.

About thirty minutes later he returned. He had gone through the entire house with a fine-tooth-comb and he had found five bugs.

"If I get Lyle in my hands..." She growled.

"Shh, it's ok." He said and wrapped his arms around her. "He's just doing his job. You would probably have done the same."

She pulled back and stared at him for a few moments. Damn, he was right. No matter how much she hated to be compared with Lyle, Jarod was right. If she could catch Lyle, as he was getting cozy with an enemy, she would try everything in her power to catch him. "It's scary how well you know me." She smiled and buried her head in his chest again.

Jarod softly laughed and kissed her hair. "I hope you know I love you."

"I know." She chuckled and pulled him closer. "I hope you know I love you too."

"Never doubted it for a second." He grinned.

"So, about that romantic dinner..." She mumbled.

"Ah yes. But then you'll have to release me. It's going to be quite difficult to prepare food when you're attached to me."

She laughed and reluctantly released him. He got up from the couch and gave her a quick kiss. "You just wait here. I'll bring you an aperitif and a little snack."

She nodded and he disappeared into the kitchen. He reappeared again a few moments later with champagne, glasses and a bowl with salted cookies.

"Real champagne." She smiled, not really surprised by his choice.

"Only the best for my love." He grinned and filled their glasses. Sitting next to her again, he raised his glass. "Here's to us and our future... together."

"Together." She repeated with a dreamy smile as the glasses clinked.

 

"Jarod, that was amazing." She chuckled as she put down her fork. "I ate way too much. If you keep cooking like this I'll gain a pound a day."

He laughed, took her hand and softly kissed it. "I'd still love you."

"Yeah, I know." She grinned. "So about that dessert."

"I thought about vanilla ice-cream with caramel sauce and crushed nuts. But if you have something else in mind..." His voice had turned low and seductively and it turned her on right away.

"Like I said before... I got an idea or two." She whispered and pulled him into a sensual kiss.

He had to catch his breath when she released him again.

"And now I'd prefer the bedroom instead of the couch." She breathed in his ear. Her breath made him shiver in excitement as he scooped her up in his arms without any effort. His strength still surprised her.

He carried her into the bedroom and lowered her on the bed. "Monica, I love you so much." He whispered and kissed an invisible line from her mouth down to her neck and the curves of her breast.

"I love you too Jarod." She moaned and got lost in his touch.

 

*ding dong*

"That must be Sydney." She sighed and reluctantly pulled away from Jarod's arms. Quickly she put on her bathrobe while he watched her.

"Honey, you're so beautiful." He said, glancing at her naked body.

A slight blush appeared on her cheeks. "Thank you, sweetie. Now get dressed."

Jarod flashed her a grin and crawled out of bed in search of his clothes.

 

"Sydney." Parker smiled brightly and let the older man inside.

He looked at her surprised. "Parker, are you ok?" She looked nothing like the ghost she had been this morning.

"Better then ever." She answered and closed the door.

"Hello Sydney."

"Jarod!" Sydney gasped and turned to the younger man.

Jarod stepped closer and hugged his mentor. "It's so good to see you again."

"Jarod, what happened, we were so worried about you."

"I heard. I'm so sorry. I lost track of time because of what I was working on. Sit down and I'll explain everything."

Sydney nodded and sat down in the recliner. "What happened to your face Jarod?" The older man asked when he noticed the big bruise right under Jarod's eye.

Jarod glanced at Parker and she guiltily stared at the floor.

"I was angry." She tried to explain.

"Oh." Sydney said with a slight grin.

"Syd, there's still some food left, you want any?" Jarod asked, trying to change the subject.

"No thank you Jarod, I ate before I left."

Jarod nodded and sat down in the couch next to Parker and automatically took her hand. Because of the small gesture Sydney knew that everything was ok again between them. Jarod began explaining what had happened after he left the cabin and how he had planned the downfall of The Centre. Sydney was very intrigued by his plan, but Jarod didn't tell him much. The less Sydney and Parker knew, the safer they would be.

 

***

 

The next morning, Parker woke up in Jarod's arms and a smile crept on her face. She silently wished she could wake up in his arms for the rest of their lives. The feeling he gave her was something she had never felt before and she absolutely loved it. It wasn't just love, but more than that. A feeling that went beyond love, and she knew he felt it too. She could see it in his eyes. Those beautiful brown eyes that made her melt. God, she loved him.

Jarod slowly opened his eyes and looked straight into hers. "Hey honey." He grinned.

"Hey baby." She replied and leaned closer for a kiss. "You slept ok?"

"Better than ever." He said. "You?"

"Yeah, better than ever comes close."

He smiled and hugged her. "My nightmares never come when I'm with you. Yet another reason to spend the rest of my life with you."

She chuckled and lovingly slapped his chest. "I hope that's not the only reason."

"Hmm, not really." He growled and pulled her into a passionate kiss.

 

"You're late!" Lyle spat when Parker entered the tech room.

~What do you expect when there's a horny pretender in my bed?~ "Good morning Broots, Sydney." She said and ignored her brother.

He scowled and left the room. Broots let out a deep sigh and clearly relaxed. Miss Parker could be scary at times, but at least she still had a soft side. Lyle on the other hand just scared him to death.

"What did that weasel want?" She asked to the two men.

"He... he wanted to know if... err... we... err... we found a lead on Jarod." Broots answered, staring at the screen.

Parker glanced to Sydney and she saw the tiniest smile on his face.

"Well, Broots, have we found a lead?" She asked sounding impatient.

"Err, no... he's vanished." Broots answered and looked up at her. "It's been weeks... over two months, since we heard from him. I'm actually a bit worried." He could swear she had smiled for just a second.

Softly she put her hand in his shoulder. "I'm sure he'll be alright. I mean, this is Jarod, right? He'll pop up soon enough and annoy the shit out of us again."

Broots nodded and turned back to his screen, wondering why she suddenly seemed so relaxed and certain of that. When he had talked about Jarod only yesterday, she had slightly winced and seemed ready to cry; now she seemed happy. He decided to ignore it.

 

"Baby, you home?" Parker asked as she entered her house that evening.

"Yeah, in the kitchen." Jarod answered and stuck his head out of the door, flashing her a grin.

Seeing him made her belly flip-flop and she loved the feeling.

"Hey baby. What are you doing?" She asked when she joined him in the kitchen and gave him a soft kiss.

He pulled her into his arms and deepened the kiss. "I missed you honey."

"I missed you too, but that didn't answer my question." She grinned.

"I'm just finishing the last details." He answered and turned back to his laptop.

"So, when can we expect it to happen?"

"Now honey, I told you before, it's a surprise."

"And what a surprise." She chuckled and wrapped her arms around him, trying to glance at the screen. But all she saw was code she couldn't read and she let out a sigh.

Jarod softly laughed. "Sorry honey." And he closed the laptop.

"No fair." She said and slapped his shoulder. "So, what's for dinner?"

"I was thinking about getting something delivered. I'm not going to wander into town again. And I don't want you to go. I'd miss you too much." He gave her his puppy-eyed look and her heart melted.

She slapped his shoulder again. "Don't look at me like that; you know I can't resist that look."

"I know." He grinned and wiggled his eyebrows.

She giggled and he closed the distance between them and locked his lips with hers.

"What about dinner?" She asked between kisses.

"It's delivery." He moaned as he moved his lips to her neck. "We still have time to order."

"Whatever." She growled and pushed him towards the bedroom.

 

A couple of days passed uneventfully. Parker was getting restless, but Jarod didn't say anything about his plan. The only thing he told Parker was that when they got a lead on him, she had to make sure it was only Sydney, Broots and she that were going. No sweepers, no Lyle and no one else.

 

About a week after Jarod's appearance at her house, Broots burst into her office and slammed an envelope on her desk.

"It's... it's from him. It has to be." He breathed.

Parker slightly smiled and slowly opened the envelope. She could see the tension and expectance on Broots' face, so she took her time opening it.

"I knew wonder boy would pop up again sooner or later." She said and poured the contents over her desk.

"Sand?" Broots asked stumped. "He sent us sand?"

"Check where it comes from."

Broots was still staring at the sand.

"NOW!" She snapped her fingers.

"Oh yeah." He quickly recovered the sand in the envelope and hurried back to the tech room.

She sighed and turned to the window, wondering where Jarod would send them to and what would happen in their absence.

 

Late in the afternoon, they were in the Centre-jet, on their way to Los Angeles. Broots had traced the sand to a nature reserve. It was a stupid lead she would have ignored in the past and only sent a sweeper-team to, but now she knew they had to go. They had been lucky that they could avoid Lyle who had been in a meeting with Raines and a client.

When they arrived at the airport, she sent the jet back to Blue-Cove. Jarod had told her he'd pick them up after everything was over.

"Right, let's find a good hotel. Preferably with a pool and a gym so I can work out. That way I'll at least do something useful besides just waiting." Parker said.

"Waiting?" Broots asked surprised. "Don't we have to follow the lead on Jarod?"

"No." She said and walked away.

Broots looked even more surprised and turned to Sydney. "What's gotten into her? Why aren't we going after Jarod?"

"Jarod isn't here Broots."

"Then why are we here? And where is he? And how do you know?"

Sydney chuckled. "We're here to be out of the way. Jarod's in Blue Cove and I know that because I talked to him almost every day over the last week."

Broots' mouth fell open. "Jarod... Jarod's in Blue Cove? Then what are we doing here?"

"Like I said: to be out of the way."

"Out of the way? For what?"

"The destruction of The Centre."

"The destruction of the... what?" Broots' eyes almost popped out. "Oh no Debbie!"

"Don't worry Broots, she'll be safe. Jarod's taking care off that."

"But... Jarod... how?? Why??" Broots suddenly looked very pale.

"We'll explain everything when we're at the hotel." Sydney said and reassuringly put his hand on the trembling man's shoulder.

Broots nodded hesitantly and followed his friends to the taxi.

 

*This is Agent Malone.*

"Agent Malone, everything is ready."

*Thank you Jarod. I owe you one after this.*

"If this goes down like we planned I'll have my freedom. That's all I care about."

*Ok. I'll talk to you again in a couple of hours.*

"I sure hope so Agent."

Jarod broke the connection and glanced at Broots' house. Debbie's babysitter was there too and he knew it wouldn't be easy to get Debbie away from her. He got out of the car and knocked on the front door.

"What do you want?" A 20-something blonde asked as she opened the door and stared at the man in front of her.

"Hello, my name is Jarod. I'm here to pick up Debbie. Her dad sent me."

"Sorry cutie pie, I don't know you and Mr. Broots never said you'd pick Debbie up. So I can't just hand her over."

Jarod nodded. "I understand. But hang on, I'll call Broots." He took out his phone and dialed a brand new number.

 

Broots sat on the hotel bed and just stared. "The Centre is really going down?" He still couldn't believe everything they had told him.

"Yes, if Jarod's plan works." Parker answered.

"Which I'm sure it will." Sydney assured.

At that moment Parker's phone rang. It was her brand new phone that Jarod had given her a couple of days ago. The Centre didn't know about it and it was their only way of talking on the phone without them listening in. She picked it out of her bag and stared at the number. A smile lit up her face as she answered it. "Hey baby."

 

Jarod couldn't help but smile when he heard her voice. "Hey honey. Could you get Broots on the phone? I have some trouble convincing Debbie's sitter."

*What's the problem? Losing your charm?* She joked.

He softly laughed. "Oh honey, why would I want to charm other women when I have you."

 

Parker laughed along with Jarod. "Good answer, sweetie. I'll give Broots now... Ok... love you too."

She turned to Broots and gave him the phone. ~Love you too? Who the hell is she talking to and why would he want to talk to me?~ "Err, hello?"

*Hallo Mr. Broots.*

"Ja... Jarod?" Broots almost fell of the bed. Miss Parker called Jarod baby and sweetie and told him she loved him... Oh no... He suddenly felt very ill... Jarod and Miss Parker... Oh no...

After convincing the babysitter, Broots closed the phone and handed it back to Parker with trembling hands.

"Broots, are you ok?" She asked with a chuckle.

"You... you and... and... Jarod?" He stammered, looking utterly confused and lost.

Parker smiled. "Yes Broots, me and Jarod."

"How... how long?"

"Ever since we got stuck in that snowstorm in that cabin." She answered honestly.

"So Jarod was there." Broots deduced.

"Yes, he was." Parker confirmed.

"Syd, you... you knew?" Broots asked the older man shocked.

"Yes, Broots. I knew. I was there too, remember?"

Broots nodded. "Now what?"

"Now we wait." Parker said and sat down in the chair.

"So, err, why now?" Broots asked after a few moments of silence.

"Why now what?" Parker asked.

"Why does Jarod want to take The Centre down now? He had five years to do this."

Parker softly smiled. "Jarod realized that his dream could only happen if The Centre was gone."

"What dream?" Broots asked, wondering if he really wanted to know the answer.

"Jarod wants to get married and raise a family without The Centre breathing down his neck."

"With you?" Broots choked out and looked at her with big eyes.

"Don't sound so shocked Broots." Parker chuckled and Sydney laughed.

Broots' eyes grew even bigger. Miss Parker married and a mom. That sounded almost like a B-rated sci-fi movie... completely unbelievable...

Parker couldn't help but laugh at Broots' completely stunned and shocked face. "Don't give yourself a heart attack, Broots. I'm still getting used to the idea too."

"Oh." Was all he said as he gave her a very weak smile.

 

"Hello Debbie, my name is Jarod." He smiled as she walked down the stairs.

She slightly cocked her head. "I've seen you here before."

"Yes, I've been here to visit your dad."

"My dad told me you helped him to keep me with him."

Jarod nodded and Debbie smiled. "Thank you." She said and hugged him.

Jarod was taken aback a bit but hugged her back. "You're welcome Debbie."

"So, where's my dad now?" She asked as she released him.

"He went to LA. And he asked me to take care of you while he's gone. So, pack your bags and we're off."

Debbie nodded. "When will we be back?"

"It's just a couple of days." He answered, hoping that was the truth.

"Ok." Debbie said and went back upstairs to pack her bag.

 

"That's Miss Parker's house." Debbie said when Jarod parked the car on the driveway.

"Yes it is." Jarod agreed. "You've been here often?"

"Now and then. Are you her boyfriend?"

Jarod smiled at her question. "Yes I am." It felt good that he was able to say that he was her boyfriend. It simply felt right to say that.

"I'm glad she found someone to love and to love her. She deserves that."

Jarod was amazed at Debbie's insight in Parker's life. "You're right. She does deserve that. You seem to know her pretty well."

By now they were entering the house.

Debbie shrugged. "I don't know her that well, but I know that she was really sad when her mom died and then again when Tommy died."

"You knew Thomas?" Jarod asked surprised.

"Not that good, I saw him a couple of times when I visited Miss Parker. He was ok and he made her happy. But I like you more because you helped my dad and me."

Jarod chuckled. "Well, thank you very much, Debbie."

She walked towards the stairs. "I'm gonna put my stuff in the guestroom."

"Ok. Try to come back down around 6. Then dinner will be served."

Debbie nodded and ran upstairs.

 

Jarod picked up his cell phone at the first ring.

*Jarod? This is Agent Malone. We've done it.*

Jarod's relief was obvious. "I can't believe it. Thank you Agent. Thank you very much."

*No Jarod, we have to thank you. Your information made this all possible. But we do have one slight problem.*

Jarod felt panic rise and he was afraid of his own question: "What problem?"

"There are two people unaccounted for."

"Who?" Jarod's voice suddenly sounded weaker.

"Mr. Lyle and the baby." Malone announced.

"Lyle..." Jarod gasped and sat down heavily on the couch. ~Anyone but Lyle.~

"We don't know how it happened, but he got his hands on the baby and disappeared in all the chaos."

"Malone, you have to find him. If Lyle ever realizes that I'm behind it... You don't know what he's capable off... My family and I will never be safe."

*I know Jarod. But do you know why he took the baby?*

"No, but he knows Miss Parker cares about that boy. I'm sure he'll use him against her in some way."

*We'll do anything in our power to find them.*

"Thank you, Malone. And if you need any help, don't hesitate to call me."

*I'll remember that Jarod, good luck.*

"You too, Agent Malone."

Jarod sighed as he put the phone down. He quickly walked up the stairs and went inside the spare bedroom. Debbie was busy unpacking her bag.

"Debbie, don't bother unpacking. We're leaving right away. We can't stay here, it's too dangerous right now." Jarod didn't want to scare the girl, but they had to hurry up.

Debbie nodded and reversed her actions. She didn't question him; she knew she could trust him.

 

"Where are we going?" Debbie asked as they drove away from the house.

"We're going to surprise your dad and Miss Parker." Jarod answered with a smile.

 

*****

 

"Have err... have you heard anything from Jarod?" Broots asked as they were seated around the breakfast table.

"No Broots, I haven't." Parker sighed.

"He went to pick up Debbie yesterday, why hasn't he called yet to let us know she's safe?"

"Broots, I don't know!" Parker snapped, losing her patience.

"Parker, look!" Sydney said and pointed to one of the TV's.

Both Parker and Broots turned around to look at it and both their mouths fell open.

"He did it." She whispered as they stared at the news bulletin about the fall off The Centre.

The three of them kept staring at the screen, completely oblivious to their surroundings.

"You guys like my handiwork?" A deep voice sounded behind them, they all recognized it immediately.

"Debbie!" Broots gasped as he saw his daughter standing next to Jarod.

"Hey dad." She smiled and flung herself in his arms.

Jarod grinned as he looked at Parker's smiling face. A heartbeat later she was in his arms. Jarod's grin grew and he locked his lips with hers.

"I missed you." He whispered.

She just smiled and kissed him again. "I missed you more."

Jarod chuckled and hugged her tight.

Broots looked at the scene with mixed feelings. On one side he felt hurt because she had found the love of her life and his chance with her was forever gone, but on the other hand, he was happy for her, because she seemed happier then he had ever seen her before.

"So it's over, we're really free?" Parker asked Jarod with a slight hint of worry in her voice.

"Yes we are." Jarod smiled, but then his face darkened. "There's just one problem."

"Do I want to know?" She sighed.

"Lyle escaped and he took the baby with him."

Parker felt her knees go weak and she sat down heavily in the closest chair. Sydney and Broots both looked pale.

"We have to find him, we have to get that boy away from him." Parker said, and she sounded more resolute with each word she spoke.

Jarod nodded and put his hand on her shoulder. "The FBI is helping me to track him down, but we have to remember that none of us will be safe as long as he's out there. Especially not if he finds out we're the only ones that weren't arrested."

The others agreed and they planned to pack their bags, meet each other at the reception desk in an hour and then leave for one of Jarod's safe houses just outside Los Angeles.

 

"You need help packing?" Jarod whispered in Parker's ear as she got up from the table.

"Well, I can always use an extra hand." She purred, took his hand and dragged him towards the elevators.

Sydney chuckled and Broots just stared at them with his mouth open.

"Daddy, close your mouth." Debbie giggled.

"Wha... oh yeah... sorry." Broots mumbled and quickly looked down.

 

Two hours later they arrived at the house, it was a simple but big white beach house in a quiet neighborhood.

"Jarod, this is a very nice house. I didn't know you ever spent time in a normal house." Parker said with a smile.

"I bought a couple of ‘normal' houses about a year after I escaped. These are houses no one knows about and I needed them to get away from the hunt and the pretends now and then, they were my refuge. And I planned on using them for my friends and family whenever they needed a place to hide."

"Houses? How many do you own?" She asked surprised as they took their bags from the trunk and all of them followed him inside.

"Eight, spread over the country." He answered honestly. There was no need for secrets anymore between them.

"Eight?" Parker gasped together with Sydney.

"Where?" Broots asked, thinking how it was possible that he never found any evidence of this in all of his searches.

"There's this one, a penthouse in Manhattan, a cottage in Miami, a farm in Texas, a house in Chicago, a villa in Aspen, a house in Washington and of course my apartment in Blue Cove."

"Blue Cove?" The other three asked very surprised.

Jarod nodded. "Whenever I broke into The Centre or into one of your houses, I was very tired and not in the mood to drive around for hours, so I bought an apartment there."

"The Centre never discovered that?" Sydney asked, barely believing he'd been so close to them over all these years and they still hadn't been able to find him.

"No, Syd, if they had, I'd be locked up there again, wouldn't I?"

"Good point." The older man nodded.

"So, what will you do with these houses now that The Centre's gone?" Parker asked.

"I thought about keeping the best one for us and giving the others to a charity."

"And what's the best one?" Parker asked, wondering where she'd spend the rest of her life and if she'd really like it there.

"I was hoping to visit a couple of them with you. It is a decision we have to make together after all." He took her hand and squeezed it.

Parker nodded and smiled. "But what about Sydney and Broots and your family?"

"I was planning to live closer to Michelle to try and start again with her, so you don't need to worry about me." Sydney said. "I'll only stay until I find an apartment."

"And Microsoft told me that I could start working there whenever I wanted, so I'm going to take them up on their offer. We'll be leaving when I find a house." Broots said.

Jarod looked at his friends in surprise. "You guys don't have to run away. Remember that Lyle is still out there."

"Baby, Lyle won't hurt them, he'll come after us, because he'll know you're behind it all." Parker said and gently caressed his cheek.

Jarod nodded and sighed. "That's very reassuring." He said sarcastically. "But you're right. He probably will, but Syd, Broots, you still don't have to go so fast."

"We know." Sydney assured his protégé and put a hand on his shoulder. "But the both of you finally have a real life and a real future to turn to. We don't want to be in the way of that. And we'll still see each other often enough."

"Sydney's right and it's not just your lives that can finally start, but ours too." Broots concluded.

"Ok, but until then, you're staying here, so just go upstairs and pick out a room..." Jarod said. "And the one at the end of the hallway is mine." He called after them.

"Ours!" Parker corrected him with a soft punch in his side.

"Really?" He asked and gave her a seductive smile.

"You bet." She purred and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Good." He grinned and pulled her closer.

"What else did you expect?" She whispered and inched closer to him.

"Good point." He breathed and locked his lips with hers.

 

"So, do you want to tell us now how you did it?" Sydney asked that night at the dinner table.

"I got the FBI involved." Jarod answered. "I gave them all the information they needed and they did the rest."

"And that took you two months?" Parker asked.

"Yes. Gathering all the information and the right files took a while."

"Two months?" She asked suspicious.

"Yes Parker. I had to contact the right people, give them the right information and make sure our information wasn't in any of the files I gave them."

"So, it was that easy?" Broots asked.

"Yes, it was. But I was lucky I knew the right people with the right connections. I gave them what they needed and they did the rest."

"And what happened to Angelo?" Sydney asked.

"He's in a resort." Jarod answered.

"A resort?"

"Yes, a place where he's free. He can go outside, eat what and when he wants, go shopping, make friends and so much more. It's a special place for special people."

"I never heard of a place like that." Sydney said.

"I hope you haven't, otherwise our measures to keep it secret would have been futile."

"Do you want to tell us about it?" The older man asked, sounding curious.

Jarod nodded. "About two years into my freedom I was able to rescue three people from The Centre."

"What?" Parker asked surprised. "We never heard of that."

"I bet. It was a highly classified project. What Raines did to those people..." Jarod's voice had become a low growl and he sighed. "I knew they could never build a normal life again and function in society. So I decided to make something special for them. A home where they could be free and do normal every-day stuff, but where there were nurses and doctors and shrinks to help them if they needed it. In the desert of New Mexico was an abandoned town. I hired contractors and builders and rebuild the entire town in houses, shops, bars and a small hospital. The people working there and living there are nurses, doctors and shrinks, but they live there to help the real population. Besides the three people from The Centre, there are 16 other people who I found as I traveled around the country. And "The Refuge", as it's called, was perfect for them. All the people who need the same help that were locked inside The Centre for god-only-knows how long are sent there. Angelo is one of them. So is Dannie"

"You called it "The Refuge"?" Sydney asked surprised.

Jarod shrugged. "It seemed fitting."

Sydney softly smiled. "I would love to visit Angelo and Dannie there some day."

"I'll give you the directions tomorrow."

Sydney nodded and turned back to the food in front of him.

 

*****

 

Two weeks later Broots and Debbie left the house. Broots had found a nice little home close to the Microsoft Headquarters.

Sydney left a week later. Michelle had invited him to move in with her, but he had declined because he wanted to get to know her again before moving in with her. He had found an apartment close to her house and he couldn't wait to move. He had a blast living with Jarod and Parker, but he preferred his privacy and closeness to Michelle.

 

"So, which one do you want to visit first?" Jarod asked Parker a couple of days after Sydney had left.

She looked up from her plate. "What do you mean?"

"Which house do you want to visit first?" Jarod asked again and took a bite from his breakfast sandwich.

"Oh." Parker smiled. "Well, I'm sure we can skip the Blue Cove apartment."

Jarod chuckled and nodded. "I totally agree."

"So what else was there?" She asked.

"The cottage in Miami. It's very cozy and next to the beach."

"Nah, Miami is too hot most of the year. Skip that one too."

"That's true. Next is the farm in Texas. It's big and perfect to raise a family."

"Yeah, but Texas is... Texas and I don't see myself living in a farm."

"Oh, you'd make a perfect farmer's wife." Jarod teased. "Getting up every morning to milk the cows, churn the butter in the afternoon..." Jarod had to duck to avoid a piece of bread and they both started laughing.

"Ok, we'll skip Texas." Jarod said after getting his laugh under control.

"Please." Parker glared, but a smile was still on her face.

"Next on the list is the house in Chicago. It's a renaissance style house in the heart of the city."

"Sounds good. We'll go there."

Jarod nodded. "Ok, then there's the two-story penthouse in Manhattan. It overlooks Central Park and it's big enough to house a small family."

"I love Manhattan and a view over Central Park can't be bad. We'll go there too."

"Good, it's one of my favorite places. Uh, then there's the villa in Aspen."

"Too many tourists and too cold. Skip it."

Jarod chuckled. "Ok, skipping Aspen. Last but not least there's the house in Washington. It's about the same size as this, so very good to raise a big family."

Parker thought for a moment as she played with the egg on her plate. "Yeah, but I don't really like Washington."

"Why not?" Jarod asked surprised.

"I don't know. I just don't like to live there the rest of my life."

"Ok, then we'll skip that too."

Parker smiled. "Thank you, baby."

Jarod took her hand and gently squeezed it. "Sweetheart, I told you before, it's not only my choice."

She nodded and her smile grew. "So that leaves this house. Which I love as it's so close to the beach. The New York penthouse, which I'm sure I'll love too, because I can't resist a view over Central Park and the house in Chicago, well we'll just have to see about that one."

 

*****

 

-- Two weeks later --

"Jarod, this is amazing." Parker gasped as she stared out of the window at the view of Central Park and New York City. It was a clear and sunny day, so she could see far beyond the boundaries of the city.

"We can stay here for a while if you'd like." Jarod smiled as he wrapped his arms around her and gazed outside.

"I would love that. I don't think I could ever grow tired of this view." She sighed.

"Me either." He said and softly kissed her neck. Both knew he wasn't only talking about the view from the window.

 

Jarod took a job as a doctor in a small clinic a block away and Parker filled her days  walking around town, taking pictures and selling them online. They didn't need the money, far from that, but they wanted to keep busy. Neither of them were used to staying at home and doing nothing for so long. Jarod occasionally joined her in her walks and they always had a blast. It was early spring and the weather was just right. The city was flooded with tourists and that regularly created some amazing pictures. Parker was surprised at her talent as a photographer, but she always got amazing comments on her photos.

The first two weeks in New York passed by fast for both of them and when Jarod returned home one night after work. Parker was in the kitchen, trying to prepare a meal.

 

"Sweetheart, what are you doing?" Jarod asked surprised but with an amused twinkle in his eyes.

"Are you blind? I'm preparing dinner of course." She said, not turning away from the stove.

"Why?"

"Don't sound so suspicious."

"Well, you never really cooked since we've been together." He came closer to her and put a hand on her shoulder and peered in the pots and pans. "What are you cooking anyway?"

"It's a surprise. Just set a table. This will be ready in a couple of minutes."

"Are you sure?" Jarod asked as he tried to hide a disgusted look on his face.

She gave him a slap on his shoulder and growled. "Just set the table."

He chuckled and did as she had asked.

 

Jarod played with the gruel on his plate and looked at it suspiciously. Parker took a bite and looked at Jarod.

"It's not poison, you know." She growled and took another bite.

He looked up from his plate and wondered how she could eat it. "Yes, but..."

"But what?" Parker glared at him.

"What is it?"

"Mashed potatoes with spinach and bacon bits."

"Ah."

"Just try it." She growled and took another bite of the mashed stuff.

Jarod still seemed hesitant as he poked his fork in it.

"If you don't try it, there's no dessert for you."

He glanced up at her expectantly. "Dessert?"

"Yes. I bought a Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough pint and if you want more than that..." Her voice grew husk and sensual. "There's always more after ice-cream."

Jarod swallowed hard and grinned. "Ice-cream and more? How could I resist?" He chuckled and took a bite from the mashed gruel. His first bites were very careful, but then his face broke out in a smile. "This is good." He laughed.

Parker let out a relieved sigh and glared at him. "You should learn to trust me, labrat."

He gave her a soft smile and took her hand in his. "I trust you without any doubt. I trust you with my life." He chuckled and started laughing. "But I would never trust unidentified gruel."

She stuck out her tongue at him and popped some more of the stuff in her mouth. "Just finish your plate and maybe I'll give you your dessert... Even though you don't really deserve it after that last comment."

He gave her fake pout but couldn't hide his grin. "Yes, ma'am."

 

After dinner and a yummy ice cream, they were both seated on the couch. She was lying in his arms and they were watching a documentary about the life of an elephant in Africa.

Parker started fidgeting in his arms and he could feel her nervousness.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Jarod asked her.

"I... We have to talk." She said and sat up.

He took her hand and looked at her worriedly. "What is it?"

"I... You know I felt a bit... weak the last couple of days." Her voice sounded unsure and hesitant and that made Jarod even more worried.

"Yes, I told you we should go see a doctor about that."

"Well, I went to see a doctor this morning." She sighed and turned her eyes away from him.

"You did? What did he say? Sweetie, what's wrong?" Jarod took her in his arms and kissed her hair. "Please Parker, tell me what's wrong."

"I... I don't know how you'll react." She carefully said, resting her head on his chest.

"Monica, sweetheart, please tell me what's wrong, you're really starting to worry me." His voice exactly matched the worry in his eyes as he hugged her tighter.

Parker slightly pushed away from him and avoided his gaze. Her mouth opened and closed a couple of times before she found her voice again. "I'm pregnant."

Jarod looked at her in complete shock, gently cupped her face in his hands and gave her the softest kiss that he had ever given her, but it was so filled with love that it brought tears to her eyes.

"I love you." He whispered in her ear and hugged her tight. "I love you so much."

"Jarod, I'm scared." She said with a sob and buried her head in his neck.

"Oh sweetheart, don't be." He whispered and softly kissed her temple.

"But I am. Lyle is still out there. What will he do if he finds out I'm pregnant or when he finds out we have a baby. What will he do? And... and what kind of a mother will I be? My dad isn't the kind of role model anyone wishes for. And..."

"Shhh." Jarod said and put his finger on her lips. "Sweetie, we're going to be parents." He said, pride sounding clear in his voice. "Do you have any idea how amazing that is? Especially in our case. We have come such a long way and overcome so many obstacles to reach this point; to be able to love each other and start a family together. Lyle is just another obstacle that we will face and defeat together. Sweetie, together we can move mountains. I'm sure we can handle this too."

A soft smile appeared on her face. "It makes you wonder what will be easier; handling Lyle or changing diapers."

Jarod laughed and hugged her tight.

"I'm glad you want this baby." She whispered.

He cupped her face in his hands and looked at her intently. "I told you that I want to start a family with you. There is no reason I would change my mind. I love you and I'll always love you. No matter what our history is or what the future has in store for us." The kiss he gave her was filled with his love and she couldn't believe she had ever doubted him.

"I want to stay here." She said as she rested in his arms.

"What do you mean?" He asked surprised.

"I want to stay in New York. We don't need to go to Chicago. I love it here."

"Ok, then I'll give the house in Chicago and LA to charity."

"No, keep the LA house. It's great for vacations and it's big enough to get together with everyone. I'd love to get together with our friends and family at least once a year." She looked at Jarod with a smile, but noticed his troubled face. "Oh baby, you'll find your family." She hugged him tight and he gladly accepted the comfort of her arms.

Jarod let out a soft sigh and smiled. "I can't believe we're going to be parents. It's amazing."

"Yes it is." Parker agreed and melted in his arms.

THE END





Chapter End Notes:
Please give feedback so I know how to better myself in future stories. Thx!