Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

MAIN FLOOR, CENTRE SAFEHOUSE

Parker paced the length of the kitchen of the Centre safehouse, taking a long drag of her cigarette, praying she would find a stash of something strong in the cupboards.

Around the corner she could hear Sydney and Broots in deep conversation, trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Parker have never dreamt that her and twin would ever work willingly together. As Lyle had once asked her "What are you willing to do to survive?" Parker was quickly finding out the limits of her desperation.

Parker felt her ulcer twinge slightly as her mind focused on Jarod. Parker had returned from Africa, knowing the only thing that would save the Centre, that would save them all, would be Jarod. As her father had always said, "Jarod is the key." True more so now than ever. It was simply dumb luck on the Centre's behalf that Jarod had experienced an unfortunate run in with pistachio nuts.

Parker felt guilty about keeping Sydney and Broots in the dark. They were such loyal members of her team. It was a Triumvirate order, one of many that Parker had returned with after the unexpected summons to Africa. She had hoped that this would end soon, that the Triumvirate's predictions were exaggerated, and that Broots and Sydney would never have to know the extent of the Centre's predicament.  After the call Lyle had received at the airport however, Parker was certain they were in for a long and frightening ride.

Parker leaned heavily on the counter, finishing her cigarette before tossing it carelessly into the nearby sink, her mind once again turning to Jarod. Ever since Carthis, Parker's feelings towards Jarod had been nothing short of a rollercoaster. She was aware of the guilt and remorse she felt towards her former childhood friend, currently locked up in an uninviting cell in the basement. Now the roles of huntress and prey were being forced upon the two in a way that had never happened in the past.

Parker did share Sydney's concern over Jarod's current well being.Fever or no fever, Parker was willing to do whatever necessary to keep Jarod in their custody, at least until the looming threat had passed. Jarod was far too resourceful, and Parker knew the longer he was under Centre control, the more desperate he would become.

Parker turned sharply, straightening her form as she heard her twin enter the kitchen. "Wonder-boy secure for the night?" She said, adding as much menace into her tone as possible, disguising her concern for the pretender.

"Sam's keeping a close guard. I've ordered additional sweepers from our Seattle office, they should be here by within a few hours."

Parker nodded in approval, and began rummaging through the cupboards, looking for that bourbon stash. "Sydney's been begging to see Jarod. Considering his current medical state, I think it might be wise."

Lyle shook his head. "I think the labrat can survive one night without a visit from his wet-nurse."

Parker's expression grew more serious, ignoring her twins lack of caring towards Jarod. "Has there been any further word from our friends in New Zealand?"

Lyle met Parker's gaze. "I just received the call downstairs. Local Centre officials went to the hangar to check it out. Four sweepers and the subject's handler were found dead. Our designated convoy is still MIA. We can only assume that the subject has been taken. The handler obviously failed in his orders to eliminate her if a threat was presented."

"So we are now following our contingency plan? We are to take Jarod to the designated rendezvous point?" Parker questioned, her search finally leading her to an unopened bottle of Scotch. She eagerly grabbed it from the cupboard, reaching for the nearest glass.

Lyle nodded. "It would be too obvious and dangerous to return with him to the Centre." Parker – our orders have been also been changed regarding Jarod.

Parker met the eyes of her twin. "What?" She questioned, pouring the golden liquid into her glass.

"We have been ordered to eliminate Jarod if circumstances fall out of the Centre's favour." Parker froze, staring emptily into the Scotch before her. She felt her twin behind her, snatching the bottle of alcohol and pouring himself a generous portion.

"Relax Sis, I'm sure the labrat would appreciate being put out of his misery."

Parker ignored her brother's barbaric comment, grimacing as her ulcer twinged with pain. "I think now is the time to alert Broots and Sydney. They need to know what is going on. Sydney is probably the only way to ensnare Jarod's cooperation - quickly."

Lyle smirked. "I think I am adequately qualified to preside in that department."

Parker cringed internally as she observed the twinkling of anticipation in her twin's eyes. She shot the scotch back in one expert gulp, and walked towards Sydney and Broots. "Let the games begin" she muttered under her breath.

 

CORPORATION ZERO, HEADQUARTERS

TEXAS, UNITED STATES


Lys slowly pulled herself into consciousness, aware of a pounding headache. She gingerly opened her eyes, as the bright institutional light invaded them painfully.


"Drugs." Lys thought bitterly, noting the metallic taste at the back of her mouth, and the familiar dryness in her throat.


Attempting to raise her head, Lys heart rate accelerated as she found she could not. Turning then to her arms and legs she was equally unsuccessful. She tried to turn her head, and noting with increasing panic she was unable to do that.


Breathing deeply Lys tried to calm herself down. "Get a grip!!" she told herself firmly. Closing her eyes, Lys concentrated on her breathing, trying to fight the feeling of terror that was slowly enveloping her.


Lys jumped out of her skin when she felt two cold hands behind her ears. She opened her eyes to meet that of her capture.


"Welcome back to reality Lysander." Lys narrowed her eyes as she recognized the brown haired man from plane.


"What do you want with me?" She croaked, chiding herself for sound so weak.


The man laughed. "Same thing anyone has ever wanted from you, Predictions. You are after all a star predictor." He finished sarcastically.


Lysander swallowed. "You and your little corporation can kiss my kiwi ass. I'm not doing a bloody thing for you." She shot out, bracing herself for a slap on the face, but relaxed after several moments when one didn’t come.  


"A naive remark Lysander." The main said, feigning disappointment in his tone, his hands traveling to her shoulder blades."


"Who are you?" Lys questioned.


"I'm Alex, not that it is of your concern. Now I will ask you again. You agree do a few predictions for us, you get off this table and away we go. If not I'm in for a whole lot of fun, at your expense."


Lys stared back at him, faking thoughtful consideration at the question. She wasn't about to be bullied into doing anything. Raising her eyebrows, she spat into the man's face. This time she was rewarded with a stinging slap against her face.


"Big mistake Lysander." Alex said angrily. "Though I can't pretend I'm disappointed."


He returned his hands to her shoulders and slowly moved them down to the restraint above her chest. Alex efficiently removed all of Lys's bonds, not even giving her a moment to respond, he yanked her off the sterile metallic table. Lys landed roughly at his feet, her five foot six frame forming a heap at his feet.


Lys rolled away frantically, and popped onto her feet, ignoring the protests emanating from nearly every bone in her body. Desperate she lunged at Alex, obviously catching him by surprise as crashed to the floor.


Lys spun around, only to see nine men storm into the room, advancing onto her. Lys backed up slowly, regretting her physical outburst. She had never been able to control her emotions easily, despite years of conditioning by the Conglomerate.


Lys stopped as she felt the cold concrete of the wall against her back. Masking her fear, she looked defiantly at Alex who had recovered from his fall and was striding furiously over to her.


Refusing to surrender easily, Lys lunged at him with a sharp kick, the years of karate her mom had put her through as a youngster still fresh in her mind. However Alex was to fast and Lys soon found herself pinned on the ground, her hands being secured tightly behind her back with handcuffs.


Alex slammed her head into the floor. "They might have tolerated these premenstrual outbursts back at the Conglomeration, but they won't fly here at Corporation Zero."


Alex motioned to two of the guards and they pulled Lys off the floor. "It seems Lysander wants to hear more about our employee benefit package before she begins her work. You know where to take her." Alex spoke to the group.


The strength to resist gone, Lysander lowered her gaze to the floor and allowed herself to be pulled from the room, almost craving the familiarity of her former prison – the Conglomerate.



CENTRE SAFEHOUSE

Jarod was pulled out of his feverish sleep as the he heard the electronic lock disengage, surprised when Parker strode into his cell, a mug of what smelt like tea in her hands. Sam followed behind her, a blankets in the sweepers arms.

Jarod remained silent, as Parker motioned for Sam to leave, the blankets dropped in a heap at the pretender's feet.


"How are you feeling Jarod?" Parker asked, her voice void of emotion.


Jarod shrugged, meeting his huntress eyes. "I've been better."

"Jarod…I.." Parker started, as she bent down to hand the genius the steaming mug in her hands, her hand lingering for a moment to long as his made contact with hers. Jarod could have sworn he heard an undertone of kindness in her voice. Parker seemed to stop herself, and Jarod could see ice queen hardness enveloping around her – her face loosing the softness it had shown only moments earlier.

"You better get some sleep genius. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow." Jarod nodded, wondering if Parker was feeling as awkward about their new power dynamics as he was.

For the last seven years, Jarod has been the one calling the shots, taunting Parker, sending her clues to her past, when he felt the time was appropriate.

This really was the first time Jarod was aware of their power dynamics changing, and could not understand why his childhood friend seemed so desperate to have him back in Center shackles once again. Their relationship had taken a softer turn after the events of Carthis.

While Lyle seemed quite pleased to constantly remind Jarod of his place in Center hierarchy, Parker had never played that card. However this time around he was made to feel very aware that it was she who held the key to his chains, and whether it was just the influence of his feverish state or not, Jarod found himself unable to freely exchange words and barbs with his huntress, as he had done, often with pleasure, for the past seven years.

Taking a cautious sip of the mug, desperate to feel some warmth from within, Jarod murmured a weak thank you to Parker, meeting her eyes once again.


Parker nodded curtly. "Sleep-tight rat-boy." Her eyes lingered over the pretender, before she silently turned and left him alone once again.


SEATTLE GENERAL HOSPITAL

Two men in dark suits approached the nurse's station in the Emergency Room.

"Excuse Miss – we are here to see a patient of yours, a Mr. Jarod Nestle."

The nurse raised her eyebrow, recalling her criminally prone patient from yesterday morning. "And you are -?"

"CIA" One of the men answered, flipping his badge.

The nurse shook her head. "You'll have to ask your friends in the FBI, they arrested him yesterday."

The other man swore under his breath, as the two spun around and strode angrily out of the hospital. "Sir – we have a problem. It seems the Center got to him first."

Hanging up the phone, the man turned to his partner. "Alex isn't going to like this one bit."



CENTRE SAFEHOUSE

Jarod awoke groggily, tight and sore from his night spent curled up on the cold concrete. He was immediately assaulted by an intense coughing fit.

After relieving himself and drinking some much needed water from the sink, Jarod leaned heavily against the wall, curling himself back under the warmth of the blankets Parker had provided him the night before. He couldn't remember feeling this ill since that awful night he spent breaking Raines' induced drug addiction.

He became aware of some motion outside the door, and soon heard the familiar sound of the electronic lock disengaging. Jarod pushed himself to the middle of the cell, and out of the warm blankets, not wanting to show his visitor the full extent of his weakness, not that they didn't have the whole damn thing on camera.

Preparing himself for Lyle, Jarod was surprise when Sydney came into view, his eyes narrowing as two unfamiliar sweepers followed the psychiatrist into the room.

"How are you feeling Jarod?" Sydney questioned, breaking the awkward silence in the room as Jared traded threatening stares with the two sweeper.

"Just peachy. These accommodations are really top of the line." Jarod spat out sarcastically.

Sydney ignored his protégé's bitter remark and walked up to the man, feeling his forehead.

"You're burning up Jarod." Sydney said matter of factly, observing the thin layer of sweat that covered the pretender. "We have to get moving again, but I'll try and get you some breakfast on the way."

Motioning to the sweeper behind him, Sydney presented Jarod with a bundle of clothes. “A change of clothes.”

Jarod recognized the black material belonging to the Centre uniform he had worn for most of his life and was instantly grew conscious of his own fever soaked clothing. He shook his head at the shrink. He wasn't ready to acknowledge defeat yet. "I'm fine." He lied. Jarod loathed the clothes that Sydney held in front of him. They made him feel owned, Centre property.

"Listen to Sydney." A familiar female voice said from behind as Miss Parker strode into the room. "You put them on now, or I'll have Gus and Mario convince you to change into them." Jarod glared daggers at her.

"Now Jarod." Parker threatened.

Jarod sighed in resignation, recalling the scene that had ensued after Lyle had returned him to the Center after Parker had been shot. He hadn't been keen to give up his wardrobe then either. "Fine." He snarled, grabbing the clothes roughly from Sydney, waiting for the crew to leave him.

"We're waiting Jarod." Parker prodded.

Jarod turned away from the group, shaking with anger at the lack of privacy he was being allowed. He quickly stripped himself of his fever-soaked clothing and yanked the Center issued clothes on angrily.

Turning to face the group once again Jarod noticed the handcuffs waiting in Parker's hands.


"Enjoyed the show that much Miss Parker?" Jarod taunted, seemingly able to find more words then the night before. He held out his hands obediently, his muscles relieved he was being restrained in the front. The though of another long day with his arms pinned painfully behind him was too much bear.

Parker ignored his comment as she fasted the metal bracelets around the pretenders wrist.

"Good boy." Parker mocked in a tone reminiscent of her twin. "Boys let go." She commanded. Jarod soon found himself firmly planted between the two unfamiliar sweepers. It was going to be a long trip back to the Centre.



EN-ROUTE TO RENDEZVOUS POINT

Sydney sat stoically beside Broots, looking absentmindedly outside the window. Between Parker's nearly inhumane treatment of Jarod, to the mysterious cloud that surrounded the Parker twins' actions, Sydney's patience was running thin. This morning he hadn't been allowed so much as five minutes to give his ailing pretender some much needed medical attention – let alone breakfast.


Overnight, four sweepers from what Sydney had assumed to be from the local Seattle branch had arrived to assist in Jarod's transport. Sydney had felt a swell of pride, knowing Jarod's spirited ways had struck a wave of fear with the Centre – a company that was not easily coerced or intimidated.

Sydney frowned as he recalled the scene that had awaited the crowd as they had emerged from the confines of the safehouse where they had spent the night. The Seattle based sweepers had not brought the usual Centre issued black Lincolns. Instead two large green utility fans had been parked in the driveway, each displaying a prominent logo for Aquastar Cleaning Services, in bright yellow.


The vans themselves were downright puzzling. However it was Jarod's reaction was troubling Sydney greatly. The pretender had stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the vans, as if in a trance. Sydney had recognized the look that had been plastered on the pretender's face, he had observed it many times in his years with Jarod –clearly his protégé had been troubled by a memory of his past.


Jarod had tried to pull himself in the direction of Sydney, but was instead rewarded by being slammed harshly against the side of the first van by the over eager sweepers. Sydney's protests had been enough to halt the sweepers momentarily and once the shrink had reached his protégé's side Jarod had hastily called out "239B Sydney" before he was maneuvered into the waiting van on Parker's urgent command. Sydney had moved to follow, but a sweeper had blocked his path and pointed to the second van. "This way Sir."


Sydney had turned to Parker to protest, but the glare that had been thrown in his direction left little room to argue. 239B– Sydney had recognized the number as a past simulation, however his aged memory could not recall any specifics. For now Sydney could only hope that more would come clear when they returned to the Centre.



CORPORATION ZERO HEADQUARTERS

"How is our alpha priority tasklist coming along?" The dark suited man at the head of the boardroom table inquired.

The brown haired man known to Lys as Alex stood up to formally address his superiors. "Sir – we have virtually eliminated our competition in the European markets. We feel confident that we shall soon be ready to attack our North American markets. We also have secured one of our priority targets and are close on the tail of another."

"And the Africans?"

"They are aware of our existence, and our intent. However after we have secured our next priority target, they shall severely lack the resources to retaliate."

"The girl is she co-operating?" The dark suited man pressed.

Alex smirked. "I guarantee by the end of the day she will be seriously re-considering her loyalty."

The dark suited man nodded his approval. "If there are no further questions we shall leave you to proceed."

Alex nodded in respect then fled the boardroom. "Prepare Lysander, I will be there in twenty." He spoke to the guard that met him at the elevator.

"Yes Sir."

Alex smiled evily as he stepped into the elevator. Soon. Everything he was wishing for was all going to be happening soon.



UNDISCLOSED LOCATION, NORTHERN UTAH

Jarod coughed heavily, closing his eyes against the intense throbbing that presided in his head. He swallowed, cringing at the pain in his raw throat, wishing desperately for water. The van he rode in had just exited the highway, they soon would be at what Jarod suspected to temporarily be his final destination.

Jarod has been nervously contemplating the consequences of his current situation. The cleaning vans had immediately assaulted him with a memory of a past sim- simulation #239 B.

Jarod has been around twenty, when he had been required to do a series of high profile security simulations. Sydney had told him that they had a high profile client who wished to create a safe sanctuary in case of emergency situations.


Jarod had carefully simmed everything, from transportation to and from the sanctuary, ideal location, and most importantly how to maintain a completely anonymous profile.

The profile Jarod had selected was a cleaning service. A business where comings and goings twenty four hours a day are the norm, given commercial business contracts for overnight cleanings. Large utility vans were also a norm in the business, a tremendous asset for transporting sensitive cargo. He had never envisioned that he would himself one day be classified as “sensitive cargo”.


Jarod knew that Aquastar Cleaning Services was not in the car rental business; the company was created by the Centre as a result of simulation series 239.


Jarod had not forgotten about Angelo's email, and his genius brain was alarming him to a most obvious conclusion. The Centre was in trouble, likely engaging in a corporate war with

Corporation Zero, and he was about to be thrown straight into the middle of it.

In the world of these top secret organizations, deception ruled the roost. The rules of the game were that was none. Lord of the flies in business suits.


As far as Jarod was concerned he would be damned before he would help the Center get out of this mess.



CORPORATION ZERO HEADQUARTERS

Lys looked up as the door to her cell was thrown open. Two unfamiliar men stood in front of her, each holding a set of manacles.

Lys ignored their presence, instead feigning interest in the sparse 5'x6' room she occupied.

"Get up and face the wall." The first man barked after what Lys determined to be an uncomfortable period of silence. Lys refused to meet his eyes.

Lys had been sixteen when she had been ripped from her life as a carefree New Zealand teenager. She had wonderful friends, a dog, a mother who adored her, and tremendous passion for life. Lys hadn't adjusted well to the confining existence the Conglomeration had forced her into. To this day she remained stubborn, everything to her was a fight worth fighting for. The constant bruising on her face and arms was a testament to her dedication to being completely uncooperative.


Unfortunately for Lys her spirit did not match her size. Her five foot six frame was easy prey for the lumbering guards that constantly worked to keep her in-line. Lys almost enjoyed the pain, anything to make her feel human, living. After nearly two decades in the heartless and sterile institutional environment of the Conglomeration, Lys craved the ability to feel raw human emotion. So much had been denied to her.

The guards were of course angered by her disobedience. Both dropped the manacles they were holding and scooped down to yank Lys to her feet. Prepared for their attack, Lys lunged at the two men, the two of them toppling clumsily to the floor as they were both hit with a punishing swing kick.

Lys seized her moment, and sprinted out of the cell. She made it two floors up before the guards caught up with her. Not bad for a first escape attempt. She would only get better.


Aquastar Cleaning Services - Headquarters

The group had finally reached their destination: Aquastar Cleaning Services. The five story building was built into a steep hillside, and the vans had followed a steep driveway downwards into a small underground parking garage. Jarod was sure there were at least a few extra floors hidden beneath the surface.

Jarod sat alone the van, waiting patiently for his entourage to escort him. Not that he had any choice, his already shackled arms and legs further secured to the floor and walls of the van. The journey from the safehouse had been passed in silence. Separated from Sydney and others, there was no one to trade barbs with. The van full of sweepers escorting him were not worth wasting any breath on.

Sweepers operated under a simple code. Be good, and they would escort you around like a mindless mute. Break the rules, and be subjected to an endless line of unnecessary shoves, slaps and threats. Jarod had normally flown under the radar of the brute squad during his first tenure at the Center. During his second short stay, he had been unnecessarily bruised at any opportunity. After the embarrassment his escape off the airplane had caused Sam, Jarod knew the sweepers really had his number. One thing could be counted on in the world of sweepers, they gossiped worth than high-school girls. Jarod knew that well – he had done a small pretend as a high school English teacher. Yes the mindless muscles were out to seek revenge for Sam, and Jarod knew his stay in center custody this time around would be far from pleasant.

Outside the van he could see Parker and Lyle arguing quietly. Parker kept throwing concerned glances in his direction and Jarod was positive he was the topic of conversation.

Jarod was fighting hard to remain calm – his fever had worsened, leaving him feeling increasingly vulnerable. He knew the Centre was desperate for information, something that would come from exploiting his genius. Focusing his gaze on Lyle, Jarod shivered. It had taken all of his mental and physical strength to survive the 'retraining' session Lyle had put Jarod through during his last stay at the Centre. How much could he endure in his weakened state?

Jarod watched as Miss Parker threw her hands up in the air, obviously conceding to Lyle. He watched as his childhood friend stormed over to Sydney and Broots and the trio disappeared into the building. He could have sworn that he saw her throw an apologetic look in his direction.

Jarod swallowed nervously as the van door was opened and he was released from the chains tethering him to the van floor. He quickly scooted forward, not allowing the sweepers much of a chance to escort him out, but their bruising grip found its way to him regardless.


Upon contacting the ground, Jarod felt himself sway dizzily, the vice like grip of the sweepers around him suspiciously failing, as he fell onto his knees, landing with a grunt. To his surprise, he felt a heavy weight bear down on his shoulders, indicating he was to stay down.


Jarod instantly met Lyle's eyes as the man approached him, a black hood in his hands. Jarod could of rolled his eyes, it was a cheap shot, but admittedly effective.


Lyle grabbed the pretenders hair roughly. "If it had been up to me, you would have had this on since we reacquired you at the hospital." He growled as he slipped the black cloth over the pretenders head.


Jarod inhaled sharply, in his weakened state he could barely fight off the overwhelming flashbacks from his childhood. He knew Lyle just wanted to keep him disoriented as to his location in the building, as to impede any further escape. A pointless move really, considering Jarod had designed the complex himself, but of course the twin had failed to inform himself with the basic background research.

"Let's go boys." Lyle commanded. Jarod was given a harsh shove forward, resulting in him face-planting himself into the pavement. He took a sharp breath in, suppressing the groan the threatened to escape, and bit back a series of expletives that would have certainly further provoked the sweepers, although Jarod was certain he wouldn't have to say anything these days to earn himself special attention from his guards.

He was roughly yanked onto his feet, and with a harsh shove, was guided into the awaiting building. It was a heavy price to pay for just eating a cookie.