Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES – EXECUTIVE FLOOR – BOARDROOM


"Talk to me Sydney." Parker commanded, frustrated at the loss of time due to the Jarod's outburst. She had left him to stew in the small interrogation cell for the rest of the day.


"Parker, frankly Jarod is just tired. We've kept him on a very tight leash the past few weeks. Jarod has grown accustomed to being autonomous, and being back under Centre control was always going to be a challenging transition.”


Parker pinched the bridge of her nose, visibly tense. Although her actions with Jarod seemed unnecessarily cruel, she had really just been trying to give the pretender what he seemed to so desperately need, a few hours alone, in a relatively private setting. Jarod had become increasingly more edgy and cranky in the last few weeks, obviously because of his new found captivity and ever present attention on him. She admittedly was experiencing the same side-effects. As a security precaution, no one was allowed to leave the Aquastar complex, except for those employed to keep the 'cleaning service charade' alive.


"What do you suggest I do Syd?"


Sydney paused momentarily. "Parker you know as well as I do, that the second that Jarod can never be a willing Center resident again. I think we all had unrealistic notions in our first few years of the chase that we would one day catch up with him, and he would go back to his sublevel existence, happily simming away, but that Jarod is gone. We can only try to make his existence here more pleasant – but it will be never be enough."


Parker snorted. "I'll send in the maid to fluff up his pillows and leave little chocolates on

them."


Sydney ignored her remark. "He is cooperating Parker. For someone who is going to save our lives, we are treating him rather poorly."


Parker sat in silence. She was exhausted, and her nerves were frayed. They had all unrealistically believed that Jarod would come along, and save them in a matter of days. Three weeks of forced cooperation with her twin, constant struggles with Jarod, and lack of quality scotch were getting to her.


Despite all that, Parker knew the real reason of exhaustion had more to do with her inner turmoil over Jarod. She still was conscious of the lingering sexual tension left over from Carthis, the guilt she felt at the strict restrictions she placed on Jarod, although they were likely hugs and puppies compared to what he would be subjected to when returned to Blue Cove.



If.. if he was returned. She corrected herself internally.

She couldn't help to notice, that deep down, she really hoped Jarod wouldn't be making the return journey with them.



Corporation Zero Headquarters – Maximum Security Wing


Lysander was curled miserably into the fetal position on her cot. She felt like she had been stuck in here, wherever here was, for years. In reality, she realized it was just a few short

weeks. Weeks she would prefer not to remember.


Alex had proven to be a far crueler and creative captor then any of her handlers at Corporation Zero had ever been. She almost got the sense that he could feel her emotions, read her fears and predict what would make her balk.


She had lasted two and a half weeks before she became a willing predictor for Corporation Zero, and life had fallen into the mundane routine that was not unlike her existence in New Zealand.


Only now, her seemingly full purpose in life was to help and draw up stock and battle scenarios for the corporate takeover of the century.


So Liz sat, she read, she calculated, but in the back of her mind, she was really just waiting, waiting for a chance to get out. One would come, one always did. Or at least that is what she kept telling herself. Because without hope, what was there to live for?



AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES – INTERROGATION ROOM B


Jarod was pulled back to reality as the electronic lock to the cell was deactivated. He tensed, but relaxed as a lone pair of stilettos entered the room. He had managed to fall into a troubled sleep, but the aching in his muscles indicated he would be paying for it physically for the next few days to come. A few hours on cold concrete made his lumpy cot look like a high-end pillow top mattress.


"Back to work now Jarod." Parker stated, bending down and surprisingly helping the pretender to a seated position against the wall.


Jarod choose to remain silent, knowing he couldn't keep the bitterness out of his tone, and not wanting to instigate another argument with Parker. To his surprise, Parker joined him on floor, stretching her long legs out beside him.


"Jarod, I'm sorry. I know it's been very difficult for you."

Jarod was somewhat taken aback for the rare apology from Parker – no matter how vague it seemed. He didn't really know what she was apologizing for, the hopelessness of their current situation, or her at times, callous behavior towards him. He had a gut feeling that she also didn’t know.


Jarod sighed softly, still not meeting Parker's eyes. He waged an internal battle, wondering if it was time to share his revelation he had made late last night. She deserved to know, as this person was equally significant in their lives.


"Parker.. I know who is behind all of this. I figured it out last night." Jarod stated blankly.


"What do you mean –who-. Since when has this become the work of one mastermind." Parker questioned, her voice edgy.


Jarod continued evenly. "I think you recall me saying from the beginning, that this takeover, has a personal edge to it. Well I know who is orchestrating it behind Corporation Zero's walls."

Parker's eyes widened, as the pretender continued. "I'm sure you will well remember Alex. The sociopath from several years ago?"

"That's impossible Jarod, there is no way he could survived that fall."

The pretender shook his head. "I'm not wrong about this Parker. I've been over it a million times in my head. The methods, the techniques, the little clues that have been left out in the internet, at least the ones that I have been allowed to come across. It's Alex. He must have survived; there is no other explanation for how this is playing out."


Parker ignored yet another one of Jarod's attempts to guilt her into giving him internet access. Three seconds alone with a computer and she had no doubt Jarod would be emailing Major Charles and staging some sort of dad and clone rescue op.


"What do we do Jarod?"


The pretender's features quickly morphed into one of his classic 'gotta grins.'

Nodding her understanding, Parker lifted herself back up to standing level, she would wait until the whole group was assembled to hear what Jarod had to say. Moments later, with the help of two sweepers, Jarod was hoisted onto his feet, unable to push himself up with his hands still restrained behind him.He manoevered himself gentle as not to disrupt the metallic prize he had concealed in his waistband.


"Take Jarod back to his room." She ordered the sweepers, catching the pretenders surprised look, and he had naturally assumed he would be returned back to the lab.


"Relax Jarod, I'm going to organize a meeting for early this evening, so you can update the rest of the group on your new revelations. In the meantime you are to eat your dinner, and I'm sending Sydney down to have a discussion about your behaviour this morning." Parker couldn't help the small smile that snuck onto her features, as she caught Jarod's facial expression. Sydney had been demanding, rather pleading to have some alone time with the pretender, besides the pretender had caused her to endure much psychobabble from the shrink and it was well past the time to reverse the tables.



AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES – LOW SECURITY RESIDENTIAL WING


"He's still hiding something." Henrik stated. His routine had been the same every day, watching every interaction, every significant event in Jarod's tenure at Aquastar, and report if the pretender was being truthful or not. He had just finished reviewing the interaction between Miss Parker and the pretender in the interrogation wing.


'Great Henrik." Mr Lyle stated sarcastically. "You've been telling us for the past week that Jarod is keeping stuff from us, but yet you have yet to discover exactly what IT is and to what significance IT holds."


Dr. Klaus interjected. "Mr. Lyle may I remind you that Henrik is a far less superior pretender compared to Jarod. His assignment is only to advise us when Jarod is being untruthful. You can not fault him for being unable to read the mind of your pretender. It is your organization's fault at raising such an unloyal, disobedient subject. It is your job to find what lies in that head of his – do not take your frustration on my subject."


Lyle shook his head in disagreement. "My sister refuses to allow me to attempt to extract information from Jarod. She does not want to risk Jarod finding out about our arrangement with Henrik."


Dr. Klaus studied Lyle carefully, "Let's see what happens at our meeting tonight. Perhaps the pretender was only harbouring information until he was 100 certain about the outcome."


Lyle snorted. "With all due respect Dr – Jarod is always 100 certain about everything. Whatever he is hiding is for his own benefit, and his own benefit only. He may be cooperating right now, but you can be assured that he has nothing but escape plans doing laps around that genius brain of his."


Lyle's phone started ringing and with a curt nod to Klaus, he dismissed himself from the room.

Klaus turned his attention back to Henrik. It was clear to see the young man detested and was fearful of Lyle's presence. The cloud of anger that surrounded Lyle was obvious to even himself – never mind a borderline empath such as Henrik. He felt a slight remorse toward Jarod, as the pretender seemingly had all of Lyle's tension and bitterness centered upon him. While he didn't doubt for a second that the pretender was well overdue for some Center discipline sessions, Lyle's cruelness was simply unnecessary and unproductive.

Henrik spoke silently. "No matter how much he hurts Jarod, it will never be enough. He has some score to settle, but not matter what he takes, it will never be sufficient."


"Don't preoccupy yourself Henrik." Klaus snapped, softening as his subject flinched at his harsh tone. It was unrealistic to expect an empath to operate on the same moraless, emotionless boundaries the triumvirate required. "Besides, as soon as this is over, the triumvirate has ordered that Jarod directly be transferred to their custody in Africa. He'll be far out of Lyle's reach there."


"And myself?" The young pretender questioned hesitantly.


"If Jarod succeeds in his assignment, there should be no reason why you can't return to your old quarters. All the reason to stay focused on your assignment, my boy."


Henrik nodded in agreement and Klaus couldn't help but notice the look of relief on his face. All he wanted was to be back home, to be back with his friends. His isolation here in the Americas was slowly eating away at him, and he was terrified that he would remain here indefinitely. It was clear that Jarod had been raised in isolation, given very few opportunities to interact with other projects, such as himself. It terrified Henrik to think that he would have to stay here, stay with the Center, and live out the rest of his controlled existence alone.

Henrik stared at Dr. Klaus for a moment, hesitation clear on his features.


"Is there something you want to say Henrik?" The doctor questioned.


Henrik looked at the floor. "He took something from the files this morning Doctor."


"What are you talking about Henrik." Klaus asked tersely.


"I think it was a paperclip. Someone must have accidentally left it in the files that were going down to the lab. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier."


"Do you have a reason for withholding this information?"


Henrik refused to meet the doctor's eye. He really didn't know himself, he had never kept anything from anyone before. He shook his head miserably.


"Stand up." The doctor commanded.


Henrik didn't hesitate to follow the command, but instantly regretted it as he was met with a wicked backhand from Dr. Klaus, causing him to go flying into the table beside him, landing on the floor with a groan.


"I'm going to pass this information along to Mr. Lyle, and if you are lucky I will not send him back in here to punish you. Careful Henrik, another stunt like this and I may be convinced into shipping you to Africa, right behind Jarod. We aren't done here." The doctor warned as he stormed out of the room.


Henrik stayed curled up in a miserable ball as the doctor left. In a strange way he was beginning to understand how Jarod could have left.