Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Corporation Zero Headquarters – Maximum Security Wing


Lys was carried roughly into the grey room, the guards obviously not amused with her brief game of cat and mouse up the staircase. After they had caught up with her, the taller of the two men had slammed Lys to the ground, and tightly entrapped her wrists behind her back with a pair of handcuffs. He had then hoisted her slender form over his shoulder, carrying her in a rendition of the fireman carry.


The guard dropped Lys to the ground where she landed in an unceremonious thud. She bit her tongue, desperate to contain the cry of pain that threatened to escape upon impact.

Lys rolled over onto her back, quick to scope her new surroundings. She was greeted by Alex, and a group of eight guards.


"I hear you tried to run." Alex smirked. "Bit desperate are we?"


Lysander refused to dignify him with a response. Alex nodded to the two guards to the left of him, and they hoisted Lysander back to her feet, and pressed her firmly against the wall – face first.


Lys sighed inwardly with relief when she felt the painful hold of the handcuffs relieved from her throbbing wrists. However she soon realized her relief was premature, when her arms were quickly restrained in a spread-eagle like fashion to awaiting manacles attached to the wall. The guards stepped backed, leaving Lys trapped, her face pressed against the cold steel wall.

Lysander was well aware of her breathing rate increasing as she felt a presence behind her, most likely Alex, at an uncomfortably close distance. She flinched as she felt a sharp blade pressed against her cheek.


"I would offer you a last chance to reconsider, but who I am to deny my men a bit of fun whilst ensuring your complete and utter loyalty." Alex whispered into her ear threateningly.

Lys sucked in a breath as the knife was traced lightly behind her ear.


"Not so gallant are we now?" Alex stated, removing the blade. He moved to her back, and slipped the blade under her orange coloured scrub-like Conglomerate issued clothing. Lys felt herself shiver in fearful anticipation when the blade reached her neck, and Alex's muscles tensed noticeably.


Lys jumped as Alex yanked the knife backwards, her clothing ripping off her slender form in a smooth motion. He repeated the procedure until Lys entire Conglomerate uniform lay as a

small heap at her feet.


Lys pressed her forehead desperately into the wall that held her captive, as she felt her arms being lifted out of their bonds by the two awaiting guards. Her hands were once again secured behind her back.

Lys remained pressed against the wall, desperate to maintain some semblance of privacy. Alex of course had other ideas. He grabbed her long blond hair and painfully yanked her away from the wall. Lys fell backwards and landed unceremoniously at his feet.


"I'll be back for you later." He stated, his menacing glare reflecting in her soft blue eyes, kicking her in the direction of the awaiting guards.


Lys curled herself into the fetal position as she felt the guards surround her, tears forming in her eyes.



AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES, NORTHERN UTAH


Jarod lay motionless on the lumpy cot. His second night back in Centre custody had been just as pleasant as his first one spent shivering in a concrete cell.


Sighing loudly, Jarod tugged at the restraints that encircled his hands, and glanced at the IV that was dripping drugs into his body. He had Sydney to thank for his night spent tethered up like a mental patient.


Jarod has been brought to this small room immediately from the parking lot. Other than a small bed, and a desk, the room was sparse and just as inviting as every other Centre room. Nothing like home sweet home.


Sydney had finally been given permission to give Jarod a proper medical examination. Upon seeing his protégé's temperature, and low blood pressure, Sydney had immediately requested an IV. Jarod had immediately protested, years at the wrong end of the Centre's needles had made him justifiably wary. The last thing Jarod needed was a Center developed drug in his system to hinder his awareness. Escape was essential, and Jarod needed to be on the top of his game.


Sydney had called in Miss Parker, when all reason had failed to gain the cooperation of the pretender, and within minutes Jarod had found himself flat on his back, all limbs restrained and the IV dripping in his arm, surrounded by six unimpressed sweepers. As Jarod had been so fearful off, a sedative had been mixed in, and he was out cold before you could count to ten.


Rationally Jarod knew that Sydney was only doing what was best for him. Undoubtedly, sleep wouldn't have visited Jarod last night, if not for the drug induced slumber. Sydney knew him to well. Jarod also realized his fever had started to subside, and his chills were lessening. Recovery was imperative, if he was to have a chance of escaping their custody - but not this way. The Florence Nightingale guide to Nursing definitely did not list forced medication and full restraint in its guide to healing.


The door to his cell squeaked open, and Sam entered the room, followed by an unimpressed Miss Parker. Sam was sporting a black eye from the previous night's effort to restrain Jarod.


"Shower time Jarod. I don't want to see any of last night's theatrics."


"What Sam doesn't want any cosmetic work done on his other eye?" Jarod replied sarcastically, glaring at his huntress.


Parker rolled her eyes, and assisted her sweeper in unlocking Jarod from his cot. Not given a chance to react, Jarod was hauled on his feet, and hands promptly restrained in front of him.

"I mean it Jarod. No theatrics." Parker threatened.


Jarod allowed himself to be guided down the hall and into a small showerblock and rest room. Two other sweepers falling in line behind him as he left his cell.


"You have ten minutes." Parker announced cattily before leaving him in the care of the sweepers.


Jarod surveyed the shower block, hesitating at the lack of privacy. He sensed Sam's presence as the sweeper unlocked his restraints. "Get moving labrat." The sweeper snarled.


Jarod sighed inwardly as he quickly stripped, and stepped into the stream of cold water, keeping his back to the sweepers at all time. His head was pounding, and the cold water instigated a wave of nausea, forcing Jarod to rest his forehead against the tiles until Sam’s threat forced him to upright himself.


When finished, Jarod turned around conscious of his nakedness, and gratefully spotted a towel and fresh pair of clothes. He quickly toweled off, and slipped into the drab black clothing.


"Hands on your head." Sam barked the instant the pretender had slipped his shirt over his head, and Jarod quickly complied. Two of the other sweepers quickly approached, and Jarod soon found himself under the familiar restraint of the handcuffs.


With a violent shove, Jarod was escorted back out in the hallway, where he was surprised to find Parker waiting for him. He kept silent, not wishing to provoke her after been given a shred of dignity back with a shower. His last stay under Lyle's tenure had not included such creature comforts, until his own odour had become unbearable for his keepers.


As he was led unceremoniously back to 'his room', Jarod turned around to face his entourage.

"On the bed Jarod." Parker demanded. Jarod widened his eyes. He was not spending another hour restrained like a crazy mental patient.


"No more drugs." He threatened.


"Who said anything about drugs?" Parker raised her eyebrow, equaling his menacing tone. "Now lie down on the damn bed."


Jarod took a step away from the bed defiantly. Sam immediately stepped into intervene, but Parker stopped him.


"I'm not as cocky as my idiot brother, and you are not escaping on my watch. If I want you lying safely on the bed, then that is where you'll end up. This way I can assure Freud that his precious Boy Wonder is happily resting and recovering from his medical ordeal downstairs and the rest of us can be confident that you are not auditioning for a starring role in next season of Prison Break. So two options Jarod, one you get your ass on that bed, or two: I’ll call in the sweepers waiting outside.  



Jarod was livid. Parker was a woman of paradoxes. Last night she had shown him kindness with hot tea and blankets and now was forcing him to submit to Centre restraints. "Now Jarod. Last warning." Parker threatened.


"Your mother would be so proud of you Miss Parker." Jarod lashed out, as he took another step backwards. It was a weak shot and he knew it. It was a battle he had no hope to win, but in an environment where everything was so controlled, his rebellion was all he had.


"Sam." Miss Parker said evenly - not breaking eye contact with Jarod. Within seconds the room was filled with sweepers. With his hands still handcuffed behind him, Jarod offered little resistance. He was soon lying prone on his back, a few angry bruises from the sweeper's handiwork forming on his sides. All four limbs carefully restrained.


"Atta-boy Jarod." Parker mocked as a nurse came in, and reattached Jarod's IV line, changing the bag to something which obviously contained drugs to make him sleep. Jarod struggled desperately against his restraints, but it was futile and he knew it.

He turned his head away from the group and waited until he would be carried back into oblivion.




AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES – EXECUTIVE FLOOR


Broots sat numbly at the boardroom table, barely believing what he was hearing from Miss Parker. He felt like he was in some major motion film, like a Star Wars epic, just without the special effects and those kick-ass laser swords. Instead it was just the twisted and bleak reality of life at the Centre.


For the past hour and a half Broots and Sydney, and a handful of people Broots couldn't recognize had listened as the Parker twins had informed them of Corporation Zero and their corporate intent.


At first Broots had underestimated the risk. Afterall this was the United States, a developed nation and big guys with guns couldn't just come in and do away with you without some serious consequences.


Then he had seen the pictures from Lyon, France. The bodies.. the blood. Broots had always known the Centre had extensive international network, but he had never realized just how extensive it was.


Two weeks ago, Corporation Zero had launched a multi-nation attack on various Centre locations around the globe. France, India, China, Peru and Scotland were the worst hit. The target had been priority Centre inmates and anything that got in the way was visciously disposed of. Broots had a hunch that the Blue Cove division had been spared this far only because of Jarod's absence. And now he was here, with them. Broots swallowed nervously at that thought.


Person by person, Corporation Zero was attempting to build an army of geniuses, a room full of Jarod's, to accomplish one task –destroy the Center cornerstone, the Triumvirate headquarters in Africa. It was a new spin on the concept of Corporate Takeover. The Triumvirate controlled a trio of companies, the Centre, the Conglomerate and a small, yet powerful African enterprise known as Zulathon.


Country by country, person by person, Corporation Zero was getting closer to that goal. Broots had just listened to a lively debate between Miss Parker, Lyle and two people from Germany – one of the few European Triumvirate interests that had not been affected by Corporation Zero's raid. Few seemed to believe that their kidnapped labrats would not readily participate in the demise of the Triumvirate. Miss Parker had urged caution, not to underestimate the time that would be necessary for the Centre's inmate's loyalties to be swayed by their new keepers.


Broots allowed his thoughts to shift to the very man that was held three levels below, so desperate to leave. Given the chance, Broots believed Jarod would be a willing participant in the Centre's demise. He'd be giving out information like the Centre handed out Christmas turkey's to its employees in December.

He stared up at the projector screen, taking in the women whose mug shot was flashed before them. She was slight, average height, with gorgeous long blond hair.


Lyle stood at the front of the room. "This is one of priority subjects from the Conglomerate headquarters in New Zealand. She was on her way here, when transport was intercepted by our enemies. Her handler was found dead the scene. It is believed that she has since been transported to their corporate HQ in Texas. It is also believed that two of our subjects from Lyon are also being held at this facility. The priority of this taskforce is to retrieve the female, and the two subjects from France if possible. These individuals are essential to fend off any additional threats from Corporation Zero."


Broots looked around flabbergasted. Since when had he signed up for military ops? He was grateful that Debbie had just left for a two month summer retreat in Paris on a French Language Bursary program.


Lyle continued smugly. "We will begin simulations tomorrow to determine our next course of action."


Sydney flew out of his seat across from Broots upon hearing this. "Lyle I absolutely will not allow it. Jarod needs time to heal. He was almost in a coma from the unnecessary strain you placed upon him pulling him out of the hospital prematurely."


"Sit down Syd." Broots heard the menacing tone of Miss Parker behind him.


Lyle continued. "I think Boy Wonder's problems have more to do with his constant defiance then a little allergic reaction. The mommying stops tomorrow morning. He will in the lab ready to work, or I will have to use my powers of persuasion to convince him otherwise."


One of the nameless German men questioned sharply from across the table. "Does the subject's cooperation not lie with the Centre?"


Broots rolled his eyes. Jarod had been out of the Centre's grasp for over six years, save a few weeks. Where did they think his loyalties were?


"Gentleman, I assure you after a few adolescent temper tantrums are dealt with, we will have a fully co-operative pretender." Lyle smirked.


"Don't be cocky Lyle, it doesn't suit you. Gentleman, the only way we will get Jarod's immediate co-operation is to somehow appeal to his sense of humanity. It's going to take a lot more then a couple sweepers with oversized biceps and a few zolts of electricity. Jarod is much stronger than that."


With that Miss Parker stormed from the room, concluding what was officially the worst meeting of Broots's life. Save that T-Board a few years back.



AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES – EXECUTIVE FLOOR OFFICES


Parker strode into Lyle's temporary office at Aquastar. "You cannot make false promises like that Lyle. You know as well as I do that Jarod isn't going to be a willing participant in this."


"Save your rant Parker. I asked you here to discuss the arrival of our new guest." Lyle said smugly.


"Our German subject has arrived?" Parker questioned, taking a seat. Unbeknown to Syd and Broots, the German division was flying a pretender with some empathic abilities. His exact skill set was unknown to  at least Parker, and she had a feeling by Lyle's interest, he was being kept in the dark as well.


Lyle shook his head. "We are postponing their arrival until later this evening. It's essential that Jarod not be aware of his presence. They'll be staying the low security wing the floor above Jarod’s. According to the handler, the subject wouldn't walk out the door if it was left open right in front of them. Now that's Centre training if you ask me. Someone should really see about getting Jarod enrolled in a program like that."


Parker glared at her twin. "Sydney will remain in the dark to ensure this information doesn't reach Jarod. I'll arrange for additional security from the second floor. You may wish to underestimate our German friends, but if my experience has taught me anything, you don't underestimate a pretender."


Lyle simply shrugged nonchalantly.


Parker continued on. "Sydney has just completed his check-up on Jarod. Besides a few protests to his current accommodation, he has reluctantly agreed that Jarod is strong enough for a light sim tomorrow. He emphasized the word light. "


Lyle met Parker's gaze. "Tomorrow the war officially begins."