Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES - SIM LAB – FOUR DAYS LATER



"You want to do WHAT?" Parker yelled, her anger focused soley on Jarod. "I thought making Broots act as your little bribing minion was a bit eccentric for you Jarod, but this, this is utterly ridiculous. The answer is NO!"


The pretender sighed. He hadn't expectant this to be easy. Broots and Lyle were currently away, gathering information as Jarod had requested from the ranks of Corporation Zero.


Lyle's presence was more to run a ruse, to deflect any attention away from the tech.

Lyle's absence had been a welcome refuge for Jarod. Although they seemed intent on keeping him in the pitiful cell in the lower level, he had been given a four day reprieve from the sweepers, given that Lyle was not there to inflict the abuse.


Broots' information had been incredibly valuable to date, with the actual location of the three missing subjects confirmed earlier this morning. Who knew the men's room at Starbucks could be so productive? The last piece of information had fallen into place, and Jarod had just finished drafting his rescue plan.


Sydney, as always, tried to be the voice of reason between the two. "Parker– maybe we should just hear Jarod out, I'm sure his reasoning behind this, although far-fetched, is viable"


"Oh please Sydney." Parker patronized. "He wants to rescue the girl himself, why don't we just escort him to the front doors right now and wish him a nice life."


Jarod smirked. "Can't say I would object to that."


Sydney ignored them both. "Continue Jarod."


The pretender glared bitterly at Parker before continuing. "As I was saying, the two pretenders and the lone predictor are located at opposite ends of the facility. It would suicide for them, and for us to try and rescue both at the same time. It has to be done in two attempts."


"Yes Jarod, we all understand that." Parker replied, annoyance evidence in her voice. "But what I fail to understand is why you are so adamant that you be the one to complete the second rescue mission."


The pretender returned Parker's glare smugly. "After the first rescue attempt, security will be significantly tighter. It won't take Alex to long to figure out how we got in. The Center will then leak news of my unfortunate escape from their custody. Alex knows I'm here, he knows I'm involved, and he also knows that once outside these walls, the first thing I would do would make a move to rescue Lysander. One sweeper can follow me in, but I will make the initial rescue attempt. Alex will be waiting for me to come alone. He won't be expecting the Center, especially since all of you efforts will be focused on finding me."


"How do you know that Jarod?" Parker questioned, her tone harsh.


"I know Alex. He's had it out for me the second he didn't make it out of the Center with Eddie and myself. He'll be waiting. It's why he's doing what he's doing. There are two things he wants destroyed in this world: me, and the Center." Jarod stopped, before continuing with a nod of approval from Sydney.


"When Alex sees me slip into the cell, he'll let his guard down. That's when the sweepers should be able to neutralize him. A simple tranquilizer gun should do the trick."


"And then what Jarod?" Parker asked nastily. "You'll just kindly follow the sweepers back out the way you came? I know you, you are going to run."


Jarod pretended to look hurt. "Your confidence in me is overwhelming Miss Parker."


"This is not time for one of your games Jarod. You will come up with something else. The Triumvirate will be signing our death warrants if I pitch an idiotic scheme like this to them." Parker ranted.


"Then let him tell them." The accented voice of Dr. Klaus announced. The rooms' three occupants all turned their attention to the door of the simlab, where the German doctor had apparently been standing for quite some time, listening to Parker and Jarod square off. "Miss Parker a word if you will?"


"This isn't over Jarod." Parker threatened.


"I wouldn't expect anything less." The pretender replied smugly, turning his attention to Sydney as his huntress strode angrily from the lab.


"Very good work Jarod." The psychiatrist stated approvingly, seating himself at the table that held Jarod captive. Since the pretender's attempt at sneaking the paperclip, he had been kept under even tighter lock and key. It seemed that Parker had made good on her threat of making Jarod's living conditions less than bearable.


"Are you confident you will be able to convince the Triumvirate to adopt your plan?" The psychiatrist questioned.


"They have to Sydney. It's the only way." The pretender replied tersely.


"The only way to rescue the girl, or the only way that all parties involved get a chance of getting what they want?" Sydney asked knowingly.


Jarod deflected his eyes to avoid his mentors prying gaze. "I-"


Sydney shook his head, not wanting to say more in-front of the cameras. "I wouldn't expect anything less from you Jarod. Shall we go over the first rescue mission in more detail? I want you to tell me about how you plan to breach west left wing given the high level of security."

The pretender nodded, and began rummaging through his piles for the schematics he had drafted earlier.



AQUASTAR CLEANING SERVICES - EXECUTIVE BOARDROOM – TWO DAYS LATER


"I want to go on record as saying that this scheme that Jarod has thought up is utterly ridiculous, and is only a ruse for his escape fantasies." Parker stated, pacing the length of the boardroom.


"However my dear brother and your German doctor believe it is worth your ears. Just don't say I didn't warn you." Parker finished, starring strongly into the video screen.


The nameless black man on the screen nodded. "We were told the pretender would be presenting the results of his work in person?"


Parker nodded. "Lyle will be bringing him up momentarily. As you insisted on this video conference on such short notice, we were unable to set up in the secure level below. I am sure you can appreciate our nervousness at bringing Jarod up from his happy little prison below ground. Extra precautions were necessary."


The black man nodded, a slight laugh escaping his lips. "Dr. Klaus, how are things progressing with Henrik?"


"Well sir -" The doctor offered. "We've had a few uncharacteristic behavior issues, but he has far exceeded my expectations on his abilities for this assignment. I would declare this venture 100 percent successful."


The room fell silent as Lyle opened the door, followed by Jarod, who was carefully sandwiched between two sweepers. They had apparently found their prison break shackles, as the pretender wore a belt that held the chains to his wrists and ankles.

Jarod was escorted over to Parker, awkwardly shuffling along to keep up with the sweepers.


"Sir, I'm sure you will remember Jarod." Parker offered, forcing the center stage upon the pretender.

The dark man on the screen chucked. "We are looking forward to your company when this is all over Jarod." Obviously referring to the outstanding transfer order the Triumvirate had on Jarod, a one way trip to their main compound in the Congo.


"Unfortunately we'll have to agree to disagree on that one." The pretender responded rudely.


"Jarod." Lyle warned.


Jarod sighed inaudibly. He had been called before the Triumvirate only a handful times in his lifetime – but this was the only time he wasn't completely petrified by it. Today the tables were turned, and Jarod would be the one manipulating the 12 member board he knew would be watching and listening attentively to his every word. If he could pull this off, he would be writing his own ticket out of Center custody, freeing Lysander in the process.


Jarod threw a glance in Lyle's direction as he shuffled towards the boardroom table, his eyes focusing on the window across the room. It was well past midnight, but Jarod could see a few stars poking through the clouded winter's sky.


"Mario– take him to the other side of the room." Parker demanded, seeing the pretender's focus lay well outside the perimeter of this room. "Jarod, you are not up here to stargaze." Parker chided as the sweeper released the pretender. "Focus. Your eyes will not leave this screen – is that understood?" Jarod nodded in resignation. This was not the time to provoke Parker.


"Are we ready to begin?" The voice on the projector inquired. "I do not need to remind you that time is of the essence."


Jarod took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves. He was about to blatantly lie to and openly manipulate just about every important player in the realm of the Triumvirate. He could almost taste his freedom.


"Where would you like me to begin?" Jarod questioned.


"Just tell us how we are going to get our missing subjects back."


"We'll you see…………"


Three hours later, a very exhausted pretender was escorted back to his cell, a small smile evident on his features.