Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
I know some of you are asking why I chose to add real writers to this chapter. Well, it was fun and many thanks to those who supplied their own lines. And maybe it's because it's been 10 years since the Pretender first aired and I'm feeling a bit nostligic. And this is my way of saying thanks to those fan fic writers who have entertained not only me but countless others with their writing over the years . Some like Terri and Lauriebraithe whose stories were among the first fan fics I read. And now Thunderchild, Manoline, Thara, Bucky and others who have picked up where they left off. I miss friends like Yip and AG who I use to bounce ideas off of.

I'm grateful to the Missing Pieces team, Cassy, Carha, Ines, Mac, Elke and others for keeping the fan fic archive going. And special thanks to Blademistress and Jacci who have bailed me out more then once when I've had problems posting. And of course my friend Gena who I can still call and ask, "Do you remember which episode..." So if you don't see your name in this chapter, just 'pretend' you're there. I know you can do it!


Cassy leaned against the bar in the Las Vegas karaoke lounge and smiled as she surveyed the packed room.
Never in her wildest dreams had she expected to assemble almost everyone who had ever written a Pretender fan
fic (as well as many of the loyal readers), under one roof. The invitation had been to spend Christmas in Las
Vegas, come dressed as your favorite Pretender character, do a little karaoke to some Christmas tunes and enjoy!
In this one room alone there were more leather coats, short skirts, boots and stiletto heels than in all the department stores in Vegas.

Gena was on the stage holding the mike and cooing,

"Merry Merry Christmas Baby.
Tho' you're with someone new."


Several writers were at the bar discussing the role of martial arts in fan fic, Carha seated at a nearby table had been busy drawing cartoons of the writers and was involved in a confusing conversation with one of them.

"Now you went by AG or Apollo's Girl for some of your fics, then you were...." Carha was saying as she drew. (Hey, it did happen! She occasionally *did* actually talk to people in real life. Only when promised chocolates, though, as it were.) The ever present headscarf - a festive green and red this time - did clash slightly with the clothes she was wearing.

"Yes but I was also known as JL and I went by Lyle's Girl too." The dark haired woman explained.

"You people? More identities than spies!" Carha smiled wryly. "That's as bad as Mknzy, who is also SireesAnwar, but usually goes by Mac."

"But that's the beauty of it Carha, in fan fic you can have as many identities as you want." AG smiled as she continued. "And I couldn't help noticing you carry a gun. Can I ask what kind?"

Carha smiled slyly as she whipped a beretta from her side holster and began showing it to AG.

"Here's your drink, Miss." Sarah the owner, who was bartending handed Cassy a Virgin Mary. Noticing Cassy's
apprehesion as she took the drink, she added. "Yeah, it's a virgin, no alcohol, just like you asked."

Cassy took a sip, smiled and head back to her table. Passing by Terri, Laurie, Manoline and Thara, she could hear them discuss the difficulties of staying in character while writing.

Mac, Jacci and Elke were huddled together judging the Miss Parker Look A Like competition. The
Miss Parker contest was a tough one.

Ines stood in line with the contestants, her reddish brown hair hidden by a dark brown wig. Dressed in a short black
skirt, red silk blouse and killer high heels, she looked alot like Miss Parker.

"I think that one." Jacci paused, having forgotten the contestant's name. There were so many people that she
knew, and yet at the same time couldn't recognize because they were all dressed like Miss Parker. It was rather bizarre.

"The one in the green." She concluded, unable to recall the name. "Hey, don't look at me like that! I can't remember everyone's name!" She laughed and tossed her hair back in an unconscious imitation of Miss Parker.

"I say we pick Ines." Mac moaned, tapping her acrylic nails on the table.

"Well I'm glad Blade didn't enter!" Elke replied as Ines shot a 'Miss Parker' look their way. "If we pick Ines, everyone will think we are playing favorites."

Mac shrugged. "I don't mind playing favorites. Besides, she's the best anyway."

Cassy shook her head and smiled. No one said life was fair. As she continued on her way to her table she passed by another group.

Thunderchild also known as Parker, was working on a new list of fan fic challenges.

"A good challenge would be something absurd, a spoof, it would tie together well with these insane surroundings." Parker muttered while reassembling her 9mm Smith and Wesson."Yeah, maybe Broots and Manny the Mute doing karaoke. Now that would be a challenge!"

RaChell and Blade who were seated at the table with her rolled their eyes and began to discussed weapons.

"I am not fond of guns but if I had to pick, I'd go for a glock any day." RaChell said with a hint of a smile, pulling a gun
from her side holster which had been concealed by her jacket . "Eight pound New York trigger pull and with night sights. When it comes to fire power, what's not to like?"

"Well I still prefer the Ruger. It's a family thing. But for backup there is always this." She pulled a knife from her boot." They don't call me Blademistress for nothing." Parker and RaChell's eyes grew wide as they jumped back.

"Holy s...! How did you get that on the plane?"

"Checked it in with my luggage of course!" Blade said with a smile. "Heh, funny story, I once got a razor though airport security completely on accident. I wasn't going to the states or anything, but I got it through and everything!"

"Not me! I like a 9mm Smith and Wesson, the perfect Centre issue weapon." Parker grinned.

As Gena finished she saw him come in.

"Oh Gawd!" She said in her southern accent as she stepped off stage and handed Bucky LaFontaine the mike. "He's back!" Several of the writers turned to look at the tall dark haired man in a leather jacket with a week old beard and sad brown eyes who had entered the room.

"Well if he cleaned himself up a bit he might not look too bad." Blade whispered. "And you have to admit, he
looks more like Jarod then anyone else in this room."

"Blade, every guy in this room is dressed like Jarod but this guy is hot the way he is." Gena sighed. "And you're right, he could have won the look alike contest hands down."

"It's not his looks, it's the song." Manoline moaned as she and Thara joined them.

"If I never heard Blue Christmas again it'll be too soon." Thara added.

They watched as he moved to the bar where he ordered a Blue Cove, a drink of his own making, a bloody Mary with a shot of wheatgrass juice.


Bucky took the stage, and held the mike for a moment as he looked around the room. Then said:

"My name is Bucky LaFontaine and if any of you have a book you want published, well you just stop by and see me at 1500 Heart Street." With that he began to belt out Beach Boys' Little Saint Nick.

"Well, way up north where the air gets cold
You'll find the Saint Nick
And the tale about Christmas that you've all been told
About the Saint Nick"


Bucky could see the man sip his drink as he moved closer to the stage. It would only be a matter of time before his song ended.

"She's candy apple red with a ski for a wheel
And when Santa hits the gas, man, just watch her peel
The little Saint Nick
The little Saint Nick
The little Saint Nick
The little Saint Nick"


As Bucky finished singing, the man climbed on stage and took the mike. A collective sigh went around the room as he began to sing.

"I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me"


The song was heartfelt and he really put his soul into it but after hearing it all evening everyone had had enough. Gena reached in her purse and pulled out ear plugs as the man continued to sing. As she passed them out her jacket pulled away from her holster revealing a 9mm Smith and Wesson.

"Like your taste in guns." Thunderchild aka Parker said with a smile.

"Thanks!" Gena replied handing her a set of pink ear plugs.

"And the when those blue snowflakes start fallin'
That's when those blue memories start callin"


In Blue Cove, Miss Parker looked out the window at the car with two sweepers in it parked across from her house. The pale moon light tinted it and everything a light blue. And tonight blue was her color, just like their song.

"You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas"