Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Once a Pretender, Always a Pretender
By RaajmdTMP


Part 4

Jarod found his classroom without any trouble this time. Mrs. McNulty had told him to go to the third floor. Once he was there he couldn't miss it; there was a large group of students waiting outside the locked door. He made his way through the crowd to unlock the door. Next, he had to take the attendance. He used this time to learn some of the teens' names. For the next five it was a normal school day. He didn't know what was in store for the next period.

****

The Centre

Miss Parker had come and gone. She didn't seem too interested in the picture. She announced that she would take a couple of weeks off. She needed a break from the Centre. Now Broots and Sydney were left alone to find the information Jarod wanted.

****

Stanton High School
Resource Center
(Library)

Miss Powers was typing on one of the forty new, blueberry I Macs used by the students there. She was researching Jarod's file on a computer away from all other eyes. She believed it would be safer to search there because Jarod couldn't find out.

While in his she saw nothing out of the ordinary. But that was just it, the file was perfect. While making the file, Jarod had neglected to add even one black mark. The man never missed a day of work. She used this fact to prove, at least to herself, that Jarod wasn't really Jarod Camello but someone else. Who, she didn't know at the moment. She just found him way too interested in Private Patten's case.

The bell rang and Miss Powers hurriedly left the Resource Center. She crossed the bridge and made her way through the crowded halls with ease. It wasn't entirely new to her. In fact, she was quite used to it. She ducked into the girl's bathroom, just avoiding being flattened against the wall. While in the bathroom, she quickly did her hair, took out her contacts, and put on her glasses. She left the bathroom, crossed the now empty hallway, and came up to a classroom just in time to have the door slam shut in her face.

****

Stanton Junior High
Room 312

"Palesa!" someone screamed from outside the classroom door.

"Miss Allen, please open the door and sit down," Jarod said to a now red faced girl who had a reputation for slamming the classroom doors.

"Whatever," mumbled Palesa as she reluctantly opened the door.

****

Miss Parker's House

Miss Parker was packing her suitcases. She reserved a room in a small inn just outside of Blue Cove. She thought it would be good to get away from the Centre, no matter how far away she was. She needed a break.

Being the expert that she was at hiding her emotions, no one knew how much the picture of Miss Powers disturbed her. Not only had it looked like her, but also the girl looked like the teen she had run into on her way home the other night.

***

Miss Parker's Car

Miss Parker stuffed her suitcases into her trunk. Three weeks away from the Centre. She was looking forward to this. Even though she lived around here all of her life she didn't know it too well, with the exception of the streets to the Centre and a few others. She had never paid much attention to the scenery. She could use this time to learn more about the town she's always lived in. Maybe she could even make a friend or two.

***

Stanton Junior High
Room 312

"Thanks, Palesa," the girl said sarcastically.

Jarod looked up as the girl walked by his desk and nearly choked on his coffee. The girl, now at her desk, turned around to face Jarod and dropped her binder in shock. The sound of it hitting the floor brought her back to reality. They were both visibly shaken but went on with their business, leaving the rest of the students to wonder what had just happened.

****

Beliveau Inn

Miss Parker was settling in to her room. Her window looked out over a beautiful pond. She sat in the comfortable chair under the window for fifteen minutes just enjoying the view. She was lost in her memories of playing near the pond growing up. Across the pond was the junior high school she had attended for the sixth and seventh grades. She wasn't the one to be sentimental, but looking at her former school she had a strange feeling that made her want to visit it. She doubted that any of her old teachers were still there, but it would be fun to see how the school changed.

She decided to walk a round the pond instead of taking her car. As she left, she waved goodbye to the innkeeper Steve Beliveau. They had been friends in school. Seeing him again reminded her of the good times she had in school, even though it was a tough time in her life.

***

Stanton Junior High
Room 312

Most of the kids had forgotten that anything strange happened. Miss Powers, as Jarod knew her, was trying her best to concentrate on her work. Her friend, Melissa, was curious about what was wrong.

"Fi, what just happened?" she asked, puzzled.

"Don't worry about it, Melissa. I was just surprised to see him," Fiona said, motioning towards Jarod.

"Mr. Garland? Do you know him or something?"

"Or something," replied Fiona, not wanting to explain, even to one of her best friends.

Jarod was listening to their conversation. He was trying to find out why she was either pretending to be thirteen years old or a Private in the Marines. She sure knew how to trick people into thinking she was someone else. The strange thing was, Jarod thought, that both places he had seen her had something to do with Richard Patten. Either she was trying to find the truth, like him, or she had something to do with the disappearance. She seemed to have some sort of Pretender training, maybe even self-taught, though Jarod suspected the Centre.

"Miss," Jarod hesitated while looking at the seating chart. "O'Leary, I would like to see you after class."

"What did she do?" asked Jason, a rather loud kid in the back row. Fiona wasn't usually in trouble for anything.

"She was late to class," Jarod stated, having already come up with an excuse. He wasn't sure what he could get her to tell him. It probably wouldn't be much, especially if the Centre was involved.

****

Stanton Junior High
Room 315

Miss Parker came up to the door as the bell rang. Room 315, Mr. Holden's room, her seventh grade homeroom. As the students left the classroom she had a strange feeling that something was wrong. Something unexpected was going to happen soon, she just wished she knew what it was.

Mr. Holden followed his students out the door and did a double take when he saw Miss Parker; as if he had to make sure she was really there.

"Miss Parker?"

"Mr. Holden, nice to see you again. Please, call me Parker.

Mr. Holden had white hair and a goatee. He was just how Parker remembered him, only thirty years older. He was the best science teacher she had, with the exception of sixth grade, Mrs. McNulty.

"You know, Parker, it's strange you should come here now."

"Why do you say that?" Parker said, wondering if this was what the feeling she had earlier was about.

"I guess it's not that important. It's just that you were one of our smartest students. After nearly thirty years, your test scores hadn't been matched, let alone beaten. This year there is a student that reminds me of you very much. Not only does she look like you but she scored higher than you on our tests." Mr. Holden informed her. He had been thinking about her since he met Fiona.

Miss Parker's thoughts suddenly flashed to the meeting at the gas station. This could be the girl he was talking about. She was about the right age and definitely had the looks.

"Oh, really. I ran into a girl the other day that looked like me," Parker said, trying to sound like this sort of thing was a regular occurrence. "What else can you tell me about this 'child prodigy'?"

"You could always ask her yourself. She's down the hall now, talking with Mr. Patten's substitute teacher," he said while gesturing down the hall.

Miss Parker didn't look down the hall but questioned Mr. Holden about Mr. Patten. He was once her favorite teacher and, he being older than Mr. Holden, she felt worried about him.

"He's been out sick for a while now. All we were told is that he has some sort of stomach problem."

At that point Parker glanced down the hall to see none other than Jarod talking with the girl from the gas station.

"Jarod?" she said quietly but Mr. Holden overheard.

"You know Mr. Garland?"

"You could say that," Parker stated. 'I've only known him longer than I've known you,' she thought.

"I'll call them over. He might want to say hi."

"No, you don't have to do that," Parker tried not to sound nervous but couldn't help it when Jarod looked up when his name was called. She wasn't supposed to be here yet.

Jarod looked up to see Miss Parker with Mr. Holden. His first instinct was to run the other way, but something seemed odd. Normally, Parker would have a few sweepers after him, but she was just standing at the end of the hall. She looked as surprised to see him, as he was to see her. He decided to act natural and find out why she was here alone.

"Come with me, Fiona. I'd like you to meet someone," Jarod said, hoping that Parker wouldn't bring him in.

'Act natural,' Parker kept saying over and over to herself.

'Tell him the truth, that you're not here for him. If he's still here he can't be finished, yet. What he's doing must be important, you have to let him finish.' Parker heard this wondering where it came from.

'Maybe I should try my hand at Pretending and give Jarod a little surprise,' she thought while quickly coming up with a plan.

"So nice to see you again, Miss Parker."

"Nice to see you too, Jarod."

She then almost gave Jarod a heart attack when she hugged him. She tried hard to hide the smile on her face when he gave her a 'what-was-that' look.

'Okay, I'll play along but I'm still going to find out why you're here,' Jarod thought.

Fiona was confused for a minute but once she figured out what was going on she almost burst out laughing. She decided that if they started talking she could get away without having to answer any of Jarod's questions.

"So Parker, how long have you known Jarod?" Mr. Holden questioned.

"Longer than you'd think," was her only answer.

"Parker, where are Sydney and Mr. Broots? Wherever you are, they aren't usually far behind," Jarod asked, trying to get his answers.

"They don't usually go on vacation with me, though," Parker answered.

"You're on vacation?"

"Three relaxing weeks."

"Well, then, why are you here?" Jarod asked, confused.

"Disappointed I'm not her because of you?"

"No, I'm just curious."

"I'll tell you later."

"Okay. Oh, yeah! I almost forgot. I'd like you to meet someone. Parker, this is Fiona…" Jarod and Parker turned around to see no one.

"Now you know how I feel," Parker teased.

"Where did she go?" Jarod asked, ignoring her comment.

"Oh, don't worry Jarod. You'll find her. Anyway, we've already met," Parker stated. Jarod was a little surprised.

"Sorry guys," Mr. Holden said looking at his watch. "I have to go. I'll tell you if I see Fiona." He went back in his classroom.

Parker and Jarod said goodbye and walked down the hallway together, keeping with the Pretend. Once they were out of earshot Jarod questioned Parker.

"What was that all about?"

"I just wanted to give you a little taste of your own medicine. I see why you like it so much. It was kind of fun."

"Aren't we in a playful mood today?"

"I didn't want him or you asking too many questions, that's all," Parker explained. "Do you need any help looking for Fiona?"

"I could use it," Jarod paused. "I have two questions for you."

"Shoot."

"How do you know Fiona?"

"I never said I knew her. I said we've met. I ran into her the other night at the gas station when I was coming home from one of your wild goose chases."

"I'm sorry."

"What was your other question?" she said, ignoring his apology.

"Ah, OK, who are you and what have you done with Miss Parker?"

"Very funny, Jarod. I'm just having a little fun. So, do you know what's wrong with Mr. Patten?" she asked, changing the subject.

Jarod paused for a second collecting his thoughts and looking around.

"Okay, I'll tell you, but not here. We have to find somewhere we know is safe to talk."

"What about Fiona?"

"She'll be back. If she's really interested in Mr. Patten she'll be here tomorrow."

"What does she have to do with Mr. Patten?"

"I don't know. I don't know much about him, yet, either. That's why I'm here, to find out more."

"I take it you don't believe he's sick."

"I'll tell you what I know. Meet me at the bridge by the pond in an hour, OK?"

"Okay, bye."

"Oh, and Parker,"

"Yeah?"

"No sweepers, please."

"I'm on vacation Jarod. I wouldn't call them if you paid me."

"Thanks."

Jarod walked into his classroom to get his things. Tomorrow was the last full day of school before Thanksgiving vacation. The English students had a test tomorrow. He had to get the papers he needed and go meet Parker. He was a teacher a few other times but it was hard to get used to. 'It's probably easier if you actually went to school,' he thought as he took off the glasses he usually wore when he was a teacher.