Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part IX
by Evanescent




"What is it Jarod?" Major asked impatiently, he needed to get back to dealing with the other Jarod.

Young Jarod walked over to a pantry in the kitchen and opened it, he took out the DSA player, "Maybe this could help you convince Jarod that we were not lying to him," he replied.

"You’re right Jarod! You’re a genius!" Major cried happily, he hugged Young Jarod, grabbed the briefcase and ran back into the room with his son close behind him.

***

Jarod’s Room
Hunting Shack
1000 Hours

Major Charles set the DSA player in front of Jarod on the desk.  Jarod stared at the player then looked up at Major Charles and narrowed his eyes.  "This is where you come from Jarod," Major said, he opened the DSA player and pressed play.  Jarod got out of his bed and sat down on the chair in front of the desk, stunned that this was him, this was really him…

****

Living Room
Hunting Shack
1100 Hours

"Why the hell is it taking so long Syd?" Ms. Parker cried, her growing agitation showing, secretly she was worried about Jarod, why hasn’t he turned back by now?

 Broots got up from the couch and started to pace the room, walking back and forth in front of the door, waiting for the news.  Even though he had only seen Jarod once or twice, he grew to admire the man, Jarod would help those people when others turn away, and he doesn’t Jarod to ever lose that.

 "Sit down Broots. You’re making me nauseous," Ms. Parker snapped, Broots quickly walked over to Sydney who sat on the couch and sat down next to him.

Suddenly they heard something shattering, without a word, Sydney, Ms. Parker, and Broots ran for Jarod’s room.

****

Jarod’s Room
1130 Hours

"Jarod! Listen to me—" Major cried, Jarod only threw the chair at him, or what was after it when he threw it to the wall before, Major ducked, thankful it didn’t hit his head.

"I’m not Jarod!" Jarod screamed, he picked up the DSA case and threw it at him, luckily Young Jarod caught it before it hit the wall.

"Yes you are, you’re Jarod, and you are my son!" Major yelled, he’s getting desperate, if Jarod doesn’t change back soon, he would never be able to turn back.  Sydney, Ms. Parker, and Broots ran into the room, they were shocked when they saw the damage Jarod did to his childhood home, but was even more surprised when they witness Jarod threw the DSAs at his own father.  Pieces of his past fell and scattered the floor as Major crossed his arms over his face to protect himself.  Young Jarod scurried around the floor to get pick them up, his eyes filled with worry and fear, this was not the Jarod he knew, this was Michael.

Sydney took a step forward toward Jarod, "Jarod—" Sydney pleaded

"I’m not Jarod, I’m Michael!" He yelled, he felt like someone had shoved him underwater and somehow he had to get out, too much memories, too much, he must get out, his eyes darted toward the door where Ms. Parker and Broots was standing in front of and ran.

Ms. Parker and Broots didn’t expect Jarod to charge at them but when they saw him coming, which hatred and fear in his eyes, Ms. Parker pushed Broots out of the way and stood her ground.

Something in Jarod’s mind flashed, those eyes…….he saw them in Ms. Parker, could it be?  Could she be the mysterious woman in his memories?  No, she couldn’t be.  He had to stop, he thought, but if he used his full force and pushed Ms. Parker, he could gain his freedom, but Ms. Parker…..he might hurt her…he tried to stop, but upon doing that, he stumbled onto Ms. Parker instead.  The two landed on the floor, Jarod on top of her.

Ms. Parker felt the weight of Jarod on her and tried to push him off her and look up to yell at him, Jarod shook his head and look down, the two looked into each other’s eyes, something was going on between them yet they don’t know what it is.

What the hell is wrong with me Jarod thought, I must escape.

Quickly he got up, and ran into the living room, arms grabbed him from behind and wrapped him like an iron clasp. He looked behind him, and saw his father holding him……NO! His mind screamed, he is NOT your father.

Jarod looked into the man’s eyes and only saw sorrow, frustration and pain, he quickly looked away and using all his strength he pushed the man away and ran for the door that would lead him to freedom.

"Jarod!" Sydney cried, running after him, he must do something to help him, he must.

He took the gun he had in his pocket, "Major!" Major turned and caught the gun.

Broots, who followed in after Ms. Parker after she got up, whispered urgently to Sydney, "Are you crazy Syd? I thought you were going to save him!  You’re not suppose to hand Major the gun to shoot him!"

"I know Broots, but this is the only way I could think of to save Jarod." Sydney replied, Broots looked at him in confusion, then his eyes widened as he understood the true meaning of what Sydney had said.

"Jarod, stop!" Major cried, "I will shoot you if you walk out that door," he said evenly, trying to keep calm.

Jarod stopped and turned his head around, he looked at the gun, then at the Major, "For the last time I am not Jarod." He replied, his eyes glittering with rage and something else, Sydney thought, but what?

"And I would rather die than stay here with all of you." He put his hand on the knob and turned, Major closed his eyes and his fingers slowly curled around the trigger, a tear slid down his cheek.

"So you mean those DSA’s were lying to you?  To all of us?" Young Jarod demanded, he walked into the room and set it on the living room table in front of Jarod, opened the case, pulled a DSA disc from his pocket, pushed it in and pressed play,

(On Screen)
DSA
(1996 - Jarod is sitting at a computer viewing a DSA of the Gulf War)
Sydney: Jarod. Please.
Jarod: I'm not going to do it.
Sydney: You have to finish this project.
Jarod: No Sydney. I can't do this.

The DSA continued playing, Jarod looked away, he knew it was the truth, but he is Michael now and he was not to have any emotional connections with anyone.  The Jarod in the past had died because of his family, the Michael he is now will not.

Ms. Parker, sensing that Jarod was deep in thought, ran towards him and pushes him away from the door.  Jarod became angry, "Why couldn’t you just let me go!  I’m not Jarod anymore, I’m Michael now." He yelled.

"No!" Major Charles shouted, he set his gun down on the table and with two quick steps he stepped in front of Jarod. He put his hands on his shoulders and said, "You are Jarod, you are my son and you always will be. There’s no way that you, or the Centre could convince me otherwise because…..because I love you son," then the Major embraced him.

Ms. Parker, Sydney, Young Jarod, and Broots looked on as the Major wrapped his arms around his son, tears were forming from Ms. Parker’s eyes but she ignored it while the rest smiled and look on.  Jarod stood paralyzed, he had never felt these feelings before…No wonder Mr. Raines said to stay away from it, he thought, these sort of feelings could destroy him in the end like it did to his past.

He shoved the Major away, "Let me just repeat this one more time, the Jarod you knew is dead, I am Michael and there’s no way in hell—" His sentence was cut short by a blow to the back of the head.

"Next time it’s my turn." Ms. Parker replied.  She looked down at him, a little worried if he was okay.

Sydney bend down to the unconscious body and whispered, "I’m sorry for having to do this to you Michael, but we want Jarod back."

"Dad," Jarod said worriedly, "Do we always have to hit him over the head?  If repeated more than one time, it may increase the chances of—"

"I know, but I hope next time we won’t have too." Major Charles interrupted.  He needs time to think…
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!