Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part VII
by Evanescent


 
 

"What?!" Ms. Parker whispered.

"Didn’t Sydney or Broots told you about it? When you were shot, Jarod was the one who saved your life!  We caught him because of you. Congratulations sweetheart," He replied, cringing inwardly at the thought of the pain he had caused his daughter but he must tell her the truth, he owe both of them at least that much.

"You mean that you were not the one who saved me?" She asked hoarsely, she just want to break down but, refusing to show any emotion in front of her father, she remain standing, fighting the tears that’s threatening to run down her face.

"I couldn’t honey.  Mr. Raines held me up at gunpoint and threatened to shoot me if I made a move, it was Jarod who bargained with him so that he could get you to the hospital.  Raines would’ve let you died there if it wasn’t for him.  He made a deal with Raines, his life for yours,"

"So your telling me that Jarod was back of the Centre because of me?"

"Of course angel, and a close call too, if he hadn’t made that deal with Raines, you’ll be dead by now.  I think putting him in Sydney’s custody is repayment enough," Sydney and Broots looked at each other, unable to say a word, they could only stare at the father and daughter.

"So everything you’re telling me is the truth?" She asked, her eyes was bleary, she couldn’t see and blinked away her tears.  Mr. Parker wanted to hug her but he remains still, pretending he didn’t notice his own daughter was breaking down before his eyes.

"Sure, I got the tape to prove it," He pulled the tape player out from his pocket and handed it to her.  "I thought you might want to hear it, hell, I wanted to hear the tape myself but didn’t get a chance to. Maybe next time honey, right now I need to talk to the triumvirate about what happened to their top pretender while I was away so I wouldn’t get blamed for this mess." He quickly walked out the door, he knew if she breaks down in front of him, he wouldn’t be able to keep up with the act any longer.

She pressed the button on the tape player to play and listened.  The room fell silent as they heard what Jarod had said….
 
 

(Record player playing)

Jarod: (Voice tight with emotion, whispered) "Don't forget me, Miss Parker,"  (His footsteps fade and door closing behind him)
Jarod: (Footsteps became more loudly, Jarod, in a clear voice, demanded) Before I go with you Raines, I want all of you to not tell Miss Parker that I had any part in saving her, all right?"
Lyle: And why should we listen to you Jarod?
Jarod: Because Lyle, you forget that if Miss Parker is told what happened she will try and save me and with Matombo there that may cause a disturbance if I were to escape again.  So will you all not mention a word of this to Miss Parker?"
Raines: Fine.
Jarod: Lyle, Brigitte?
Lyle: If it's fine with Raines it's fine with me.
Brigette: Anything for you love
Raines: Willie, cuff him.
(Heard the sound of cuffs snapping and footsteps)
Jarod: (His voice filled with uncontrollable emotions) Take care of her Syd, don't let anything happen to her.
(Footsteps slowly grew softer, then there was nothing).

"Oh my God……………" Ms. Parker whispered, a tear slid down her cheek, another quickly followed, then another. She walked over and sat down on Sydney’s chair by his desk.

"Parker, we need to save Jarod, or whatever is left of him or else we will lose him," Sydney whispered, walking behind Ms. Parker and putting his hand on her shoulder. "Forever."

Ms. Parker remained silent, Sydney, frustrated and angry grabbed the DSA player from his table and opened it, and turn it to Ms. Parker, pushing the DSA in as he pressed play.  For next few minutes she sat staring at the screen in horror of what the Jarod she knew had turned into.

****

Sim Lab
1800 Hours

"Good job Jarod," Mr. Raines said,

Jarod looked at him and then looked away, he asked, "Am I allowed to go out Mr. Raines?"

"No!  You are my pretender," He rasped, Jarod narrowed his eyes, "You know what happened to the other pretender, it was because of what he knew of the outside world that destroyed him in the end.  Besides, the Centre owns you Jarod, now until the day you die." He smirked.

"Yes Mr. Raines." He said coolly, but he was burning with anger.

Mr. Parker walked in, "Raines, I have spoken to the triumvirate, apparently you thought you could conduct a little secret of your own.  The triumvirate was displeased and gave me the power to grant Sydney back his custody over Jarod." Taking a glance at Jarod, the pretender raised his eyes, surprised.

"No one is taking MY pretender." Raines hissed.

"He is not YOUR pretender Raines, he belongs to the Centre and if you want to argue this point, take it up to the triumvirate!" Mr. Parker yelled.  Raines lowered his eyes, and didn’t utter another word.  Instead he opened the door and walked out, he was never able to take defeat easily Mr. Parker thought triumphantly, and followed after Raines, closing the door behind him.

Jarod sat on his chair, he needs to get out of here, he thought, but then the other pretender….his eyes opened in realization, I was the other pretender, I was Jarod. No, they were all lying, they were trying to brainwash me into thinking I was the other pretender he concluded.  He’s going to get even with them, this time he’s going to kill them…….

His thoughts were interrupted when he saw Sydney walk into the room, "Hello Jarod, I’m going to be taking care of you for a while."

"My name is Michael." He said calmly.  He have to escape…..

*****

Hunting Shack
Delaware
1930 Hours

"I guess we’ll have to sleep here for the night," Major Charles said, setting his computer down as young Jarod climbed into the higher bunk.

"Dad?" Jarod asked,

"Yeah Jarod?" Major replied, they both knew the question he was about to ask next.

"Do you……do you think it might already be too late, for Jarod, I mean my brother?"

"I hope not, I hope not." Major replied hoarsely, his eyes darkened at the thought.

"What if he is?" Jarod reluctantly asked, he had to know.

"Then we’ll have to kill him.  He will no longer be the Jarod we knew, he’ll be—" Major looked with a pained expression at the picture he printed out of his beloved son on the table, "Michael."

*****

Sim Lab
2000 Hours

"Jarod listen to me!  You are Jarod!" Sydney cried, he had been trying for the past 2 hours to try and get Jarod to remember at least one small part of his past.

"Look Dr. Green, I am NOT the Jarod you used to know.  Jarod is dead, I think it is time you deal with your grief and move on!" Jarod yelled, clearly starting to get angry with the older man.  His mind is made up; he had to break out of the Centre even if it killed him, before this doctor succeed in brainwashing him..

"No Jarod, listen to me!—"

"What the hell is going on here?" A woman demanded

They both turned toward direction of the voice and standing at the doorway was none other than Ms. Parker. Something in Jarod’s mind flashed when he saw her, he sat down as an unknown memory flooded into his mind….

(Flashback)

"How did we end up like this" He asked, he felt so confused, so alone.

"Like what?" Ms. Parker snapped.

"It’s strange that we both want the same thing, someone to care about, someone to care about us….."
(Flashback ended)
 

"How did we end up like this……The memory echoed in Jarod’s mind, over and over again.

"I said, what the hell is going on here?" Ms. Parker repeated.

Jarod shook his head, pushing the memory to the back of his mind, and stood up. He brushed past her and sat down in front of the computer. "Look Jarod—" Ms. Parker began

"Michael," He replied.

"Jarod, have you forgotten what happened the last couple of days? You—"

"Look, whoever you are—"

"Ms. Parker—"

"Ms. Parker, I don’t care who you are, but I know who I am—"

"You KNOW what was given to you—" Jarod’s eyes turned dark with hatred, Ms. Parker took a step back, shocked at the hate that burned in his eyes, this was not the Jarod she knew, this was Michael.

"I don’t care if it was given to me or not, the Jarod you know is dead! The man you are talking to is Michael now, so if you don’t mind, I’ve got some work to do." He turned away from them and began clicking away at the computer, starting the sim.  When he saw that they left, he quickly planned his escape, for in order for this plan to work, he had to kill those that are the head of the Centre, Mr. Parker, Raines, Sydney, and of course Ms. Parker…

*****

Sydney’s Office
2200 Hours

"Damn it Sydney.  Everything we had said to him for the past hour didn’t work," Ms. Parker yelled, after trying to convince Jarod he is not Michael, she was defeated by the boy genius.

"I know Ms. Parker, but we have to be patient—" Sydney began,

"If we are any more patient Jarod will definitely turn into Michael—"

"Maybe he already has Ms. Parker." Ms. Parker’s eyes flew to Sydney’s, fear burned in those clear blue eyes, but determination soon replaced the thought.

"No Syd, there has to be another way, we just have to find it, and get Broots to help you.  We got to get the Jarod we know back or else we’ll have another psychopath in hell. I’m going to talk to Daddy, see what he could do." She replied,

"I’ll come with you." Sydney said as the two walked out the door towards the direction of Mr. Parker’s office.

******

Jarod’s Room
2300 Hours

Willie brought Jarod back to his cell, after taking the handcuffs off him he suddenly doubled over in pain as Jarod punched him hard in the stomach.  He tried to draw his gun from his jacket but Jarod’s hands were to quick, he grabbed Willie by the collar and threw him toward the wall, head first.  The man crumbled to the ground, unconscious, bleeding from the head. Jarod reach for his jacket and grabbed his gun, he crawled through the air vent, toward the direction of Mr. Parker’s office.

*****

Mr. Parker’s Office
2400 Hours

Mr. Parker, who was sitting by his desk, going over some papers about SL-30 when he felt a sharp object pushed against the back of his head his head. "Get up," Jarod’s growled.

Mr. Parker slowly stood up, "Jarod," he began

"Shut up! My name is Michael," he yelled

Ms. Parker and Sydney just walked through the door, they both froze when they saw what Jarod was doing.  "Hello Ms. Parker, Dr. Green, I’m glad that you’ll be able to join us," Jarod smirked,
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!