Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A Pretender Story XXI A Pretender Story XXI Written by: Evanescent/Archangel

The Centre

1800 Hours

“Get the jet ready,” Raines rasped, Willie nodded, “I don’t want anyone finding out about my plans.” He walked off, dragging his oxygen tank behind him with Willie trailing after him.

Angelo quickly jumped down from the vent to Raines office, he quickly looked around opened the computer, and after a few minutes he typed quickly moving his mouse, clicking.


Living Room

Nia’s House

1800 Hours

Jarod quietly leaned back from the door of his bedroom, after he heard everything Jason had said, he slowly made his way to his bed and rest his head against the pillows as the conversation continued on outside.

“So..so Jarod is going to kill Ms. Parker, Mr. Parker and his own father?” Broots asked nervously, “I mean…I don’t think…I don’t think the Jarod I know…that we all know—“

“The Jarod we all know is gone Broots, he’s Michael now. You seen what he did that family.” Ms. Parker snapped and quickly looked away so no one would see the pain that was radiating from her eyes.

“But Ms. Parker, Jarod called my name when he hit his head on the concrete, the Michael we know called me Dr. Green. Is there any remote chance that we can still get him back?” Sydney asked desperately.

“It’s possible,” Jason said, all eyes turn toward him. “I talked to Dr. Kosin, he was the man who performed the Alternation on Jarod but get this, he said he only gave Jarod 90% of the treatment, that is why Jarod was having flashbacks.”

“Now do you understand—“Sydney turned to Ms. Parker,

“I understand, that in order for all of us to stay alive, Jarod had to regain all his memory.” Ms. Parker still refused to

“He may already have,” Jason said, looking toward the room where Jarod was sleeping, “Michael is suppose to be cold, emotionless psychopath like Raines designed. With all these emotions flooding into his mind, he’s probably trying to block it off in his mind.”

“Syd—Dr. Green.” A voice behind them whispered, everyone turned and saw Jarod standing in the doorway of his bedroom, he still held the same compassion in his eyes, the blow to his head, Sydney thought, it must have triggered something in his mind. He and Jason exchanged glances, both of them knew that Jason was right

“Jarod—“Sydney began,

“Michael,” Jarod said through clenched teeth,

“Damnit Jarod, snap out of it! I know you’re still in there. Stopping pushing yourself and listen to me!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about! My name is Michael,” How did they find out? He thought, no, he must keep on pretending but even that was becoming a harder challenge for him when Sydney and the others already knew the truth.

“Jarod,” Ms. Parker began, she look hard at him and knew that Jason was right. Something is happening in Jarod, it was as if his eyes told her that he still the man she…cared about, yet his actions told her that this is Michael she’s dealing with now, what he did to that family….

“My name is Michael!” Jarod ground out, the pain from his head increased and he pitched forward, Sydney quickly caught Jarod around the arms before he fall. Jarod quickly jumped up and shoved Sydney as hard as he can.

Ms. Parker quickly grabbed Jarod by the shoulders and forced him to look at her. “Damn you Jarod! Listen to me!” She yelled furiously.

“Jarod.” Nia whispered, Jarod looked at her, “Who are you protecting?” She asked softly.

“I’m NOT protecting anyone!” Jarod shouted, he quickly walked toward the door and began to reach for the door handle when Ms. Parker’s hand covered the door handle first and kept it closed.

Sydney painstakingly walked toward Jarod, he gently laid his hand on his shoulder, and watched sadly as Jarod tensed from his touch, “It’s all right Jarod.” He said encouragingly.

Jarod whirled around to face him, “Do you think I want this Sydney? Do you know what would have happened if I didn’t leave that night? Raines will find us sooner or later and when that happens, both my father and Jarod will be at the mercy of the Centre. Plus your lives will be in danger as well if Raines finds out you had any part in helping my father and my brother in bringing me back.” He yelled, his eyes filled with pain. Finally, he thought, the truth had set me free.

“So you sacrificed yourself to save us all.” Broots said quietly, his fondness and admiration for Jarod grew.

Ms. Parker’s eyes slowly filled with tears, Jarod is back she thought happily, this time for good but something was still bothering her, “But what about the Petersons?” She asked “Do you actually believe that I would have pulled the trigger Ms. Parker?” Jarod asked and raised an eyebrow, amused. “Let’s just say they’ll be washing tomato sauce off their clothes for a while.”

“But Willie—“

“I had each member of the family swallow a pill, it gives them a death like appearance. The plan worked out, Willie had taken my word for it and took their “bodies” to the morgue so a friend of mine at the Centre helped them escape.”

“And why hadn’t you told us?!” Ms. Parker’s temper began rising

“Aw Ms. Parker, then it wouldn’t be any fun, plus I needed this to look real, can’t have Mr. Broots laughing when the family spread tomato sauce all over themselves and on the floor when they’re pretending to be dying from a blank.” Jarod concluded looking over at Broots, Broots looked down sheepishly.

Jarod looked over at Ms. Parker and gave her a smile, suddenly, she wasn’t angry with him anymore…it was as if it evaporated the moment he smiled…at her. Nia turned away, Jason looked at Jarod, this is one of the only times that he was ever envious of the top Pretender, to have one woman when the other woman he himself loved still pinning for the boy wonder.

“I …I better…uh…go check my computer for me-messages.” Broots stuttered and quickly ran out of the room and to the car. He ran back, holding a laptop computer and a set of phone wires. He turned the computer on, after waiting for a few minutes he borrowed Nia’s phone and connected onto the Internet using his phone wires he clicked onto the icon “Mailbox” and read the message rapidly. “Sydney…you better see this…” Broots said worriedly, “Raines is coming.”