Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XIII
by Evanescent



Jarod and Major Charles walked in as Sydney, Ms. Parker, and Broots were just finishing up with their meal.  Young Jarod was ready making his way to the refrigerator when Major said, "No, Jarod, too much ice cream will be bad for you."

"But Dad," Young Jarod protested.

"Jarod.." Major raised an eyebrow, Jarod looked on in amusement as he watched his brother grew quiet.

Young Jarod caught the amusing gleam in his brother’s eyes, he grabbed the washcloth and threw it at him, Jarod ducked, hitting his father instead. Major raised an eyebrow again, this time at both of them. He walked over to the pan, picked up the omelet, and gave them both an evil grin.

"Uh-oh" Young Jarod whispered to his brother, he quickly seat himself behind Sydney, hoping that his father wouldn’t hit him when Sydney is sitting in front of him. Sydney, Broots, and Ms. Parker looked on, the corners of their mouths twitching as they tried not to laugh.  Major threw the omelet at young Jarod, he tried to threw it over Sydney but it landed all over his face..

"Okay, Okay, that’s enough," Jarod said, he walked over to the sink, grabbed a washcloth and toss it over to Sydney, "Here, clean yourself up," smiling at him before breaking up in laughter when he got a glimpse of his face. Sydney was stunned, Jarod was actually smiling at him…at him! Jarod looked into his eyes, and knew that his father was right, Sydney is innocent, he wouldn’t have lied to him….he was wrong and for once in his life, he was happy about it.

******

The Centre
1000 Hours

"We need to get Jarod and the boy back." Raines said to Mr. Parker.

"I know Raines, have your pretenders get on it right away." Mr. Parker ordered, Raines nodded and walked out of his office.

Mr. Parker blew out the air he was holding and sat back in his chair, he could only hope that the his daughter or Major Charles would find out about this, or else they would all suffer…Jarod most of all..

*****

Outdoors
1100 Hours

Ms. Parker took in the sunlight, finally be able to relax, she looked up at the blue sky and then at Jarod. Young Jarod was teaching him how to fish, and Jarod seem to be learning fast, as always.

"Ms. Parker, do you think the Centre will find us?" Broots asked quietly, he was sitting next to her on the grass.  As much as he hate to destroy this perfect harmony, he had to let them know that this is not going to last.

Ms. Parker scowled at him, Broots always knew when to ruin the moment, "Eventually, you know my father, nothing stands in the way of what he wants," then with a voice filled with pain, "Even me."

Broots looked at her and sighed, looking toward the sky. "You know, I’m glad that Jarod got better," hoping that changing the subject to Jarod would brighten her mood.

Ms. Parker looked at him, "Why?" she asked

"Well, if Jarod were to really turn into Michael, no one could stop him, including Mr. Raines."

"I don’t care, it was the Major who took us here, and once Jarod is better, we’ll take him and the boy back to the Centre."

Broots looked away, smiling, he seriously doubts that.

Just then someone said, "Look out!" And a fish landed on Ms. Parker’s perfect skirt, she slowly looked up at Jarod, eyes filled with anger, but that quickly dissolved when she saw Jarod’s face. It was like the Young Jarod, free of anger, sadness, or loneliness, she found herself smiling back, he looks so beautiful…she caught herself, what’s happening to me?  She thought, quickly getting up and taking the fish by the end of its tail, she dropped it on the ground with disgust and threw an angry glare at Jarod before walking back to the house to wash the stain off.

Jarod was laughing as soon as he saw her disappear into the house, he stopped when a memory suddenly came flooding back….

(Flashback)
Security: We got your radio call Mr. Falzon. Is there a problem?
Jarod: Yes, there is. A couple of grifters trying a roulette scam. Call the LVPD and have takes hold of Sydney.)
Parker: Let go of me.
Jarod: You might want to strip search this one. She could be palming chips.
Parker: Oh you bastard.
Jarod: Just doing my job, Ma’m. Head of security, you know.
Parker: I will get you.
Jarod: You wanna bet. (He flips a coin up to her. She catches it in her free right hand and opens her hand to look at the result.) Tails.
(Ms. Parker looked at her coin, he was right.)

"Are you having another flashback Jarod?" Young Jarod asked.

"Yeah, I think so.  Come on, let’s catch up with Ms. Parker." Jarod replied, smiling. And the two raced each other toward the direction of the house.

*****

Hunting Shack
1200 Hours

Both Jarods burst through the door, gasping for air, "We’re evenly matched." Jarod said between gasps.  Sydney looked up from his computer and smiled, "Hello Jarods," He said.

They 2 Jarod’s looked at each other and cocked an eyebrow at one another, then they walked over to the kitchen and raid the ice cream before the Major could stop them.

*****

The Centre
1300 Hours

One of the pretenders, Jason, looked up at Mr. Raines from his computer and said, "Their living at the old Hunting Shack in Delaware--"

Mr. Raines said, "Good job Jason.  I know where." he withdrew his cellular phone from his suit pocket, "Willy," he rasped into the mouthpiece, "Get the car ready, we’re getting Jarod back."
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!