Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer...I do not own the rights to the NBC show, The Pretender. This is written for the enjoyment of fan fiction.



Sidekick III
Half an Evil
by Astro



Hi I’m Astro I am a fellow Pretender Fan, so I wrote a Fan Fic. I hope you enjoy it, if you have any comments please
e-mail me thank you.



 
 
 

Weeks pass everything goes back to normal… but does it ever go back to the way things were?

In every life worth remembering, there is a turning point. A moment in time when a decision is made, and the course of a life is changed. A wrong turn…a second too early or too late… and things might have been different.

For Lyle, that turning point is only moments away and once it is reached…

It can not been taken back.

Drew lies on the ground.

Drew doesn’t move.

He won’t see him again.

He will never hold him…

Never comfort him after a bad dream…

Never know how much he really loved him Lyle screams… and finishes
 

*****
 

Ten years later.
 

Lyle shivered; he was cold yet he sweats all over. The room was dark the curtains closed. Beside him lay a somewhat empty whiskey bottle. A drip falls from the opening and splashes into a small puddle under the bottle.

"What's wrong with me, Anyway?" Lyle not realizing he spoke aloud.

"Why me, Why now. I had to. I couldn’t stop it." Lyle’s anger rages inside him. He snaps. His grip tightens around the glass in his hand. The glass smashes under the pressure. His arm fly’s across and hits the bottle, leaving it to smash on the wooden floor of his apartment. Whiskey ran on the floor in to a pool of what looked like blood. Lyle sat up and left the room.

One single ray of light shone into the room. The light hit a single piece of glass. The glass soaked in blood. Like water the blood beaded and ran down its jagged edge to meet the pool of whiskey.

Lyle’s blood covered an opened draw to his desk. Under a few sheets of paper in the draw was a .45. The metal shone. The gun was loaded the safety off, the hammer back. The gun rested comfortably against Lyle’s temple. His grip tightened so did the trigger.

Ring, Ring.

The phone. Lyle’s eyes opened. He rested the gun on the desk, and picked up the phone.

"Yes?" his voice emotionless.

"We got him this time"

"What, who?"

"Jarod, Lyle are you… beep beep"

They didn’t get to finish Lyle hung up. He looked at the gun and then at the door. Lyle grabbed the gun and walked out the door.
 

***
 

Jarod sat cross-legged on a wooden floor starring at a phone. Nothing was in the room but him and the phone. Jarod went to grab the phone, but stopped. He then continued to reach for the phone. He punched in a number he knew too well.

Across state a phone rang and rang. A bathroom door swung open. A dripping Miss. Parker came walking out. Her wet hair resting on her shoulders. Her wet hand picks up the phone.

"Hello"

No answer, she tried again. "Hello!"

She was just about to hang up when he spoke.

"I trusted you. I don’t now if I can again"

"Jarod"

"No! I’m sorry, yet you sent him there!"

Beep beep!

Miss Parker stood with the phone hanging in her hand resting beside her. The phone call left her confused. She hadn’t seen or spoken to him since the accident at the park. Her fingers touched her lips she turned and left the room. She was already late this was just delaying her more.
 

***
 

Ding!

The doors to the elevator opened. Out stepped Lyle. Hair rustled sleeves rolled up and his jacket resting in one arm. Lyle walked over to his office. Broots standing by his favorite candy vender, noticed Lyle, who had not been at the Centre for the last two weeks.

As soon as Lyle opened the door Bridget sitting on his desk in a short skirt and her leather jacket greeted him.
"Where ya been Luv'?"

Lyle’s head to ground looked up. "We don’t have Jarod do we?"

"No I just mist ya"

Lyle had had enough of today’s happenings. "Get out!"

"What do you mean luv?"

"Get out and take that shitty accent with you.

Bridget left and slammed the office door behind her. Lyle slumped in his chair behind his desk. Could his day get any worse. Lyle’s office door opens and Miss. Parker entered. Then again. Lyle gave a glance over to the wall and then back at Parker.

"What?" no enthusiasm at all.

"Nice to see you again"

"Aww Shucks"

"Have you told anyone?"

"No, now leave"

Miss Parker left. Lyle got up and left his office.
 

***
 

Mr. Parker looked up from his desk. "Come in"

Lyle entered the office of his supposed father. "I need a few weeks off" Lyle was intimidated by his father.

"You have already been away for two weeks" Mr. Parker went back to what he was doing.

"I really need the time off"

Mr. Parker didn’t lift his head. "You have one week"

"Thank you, Sir" Lyle turned to leave and bumped into Miss Parker. They silently passed each other.
 

***
 

A car pulled up out the front of a newly built cottage in the middle of nowhere. Lyle stepped out. All around was silent, Lyle circled around. Bush as far as the eye could see. The door to the cottage opened. On the other side of the door was a woman no older than he was. The woman didn’t speak, but she went to shut the door. Lyle’s hand went up and pushed it open.

"We have to talk"

"If Danni find you here, he will kill you"

"That’s a risk I’ll have to take"

"Come in" The woman led Lyle to the study and closed the door behind her. "Say what you had to say then leave"

"Andrew"

The lady was shocked at the word that had come out of Lyle’s mouth she had to sit down in a chair.

"Marry" Lyle walked over to where Marry sat. "They won, I can’t do anything now. Its time to give in"

Marry suddenly got up. "Bullshit its not over till its over. Isn’t that what you said, isn’t it?"

"What the hell is that son of a bitch doing here!"

Lyle looked over to the doorway were a tall solid man stood.

"Danni he was just leaving"

"No, I have to straighten this out" Lyle walked over to where Danni stood.

"I didn’t kill your son. You knew it would be dangerous to keep him. It was a risk you had to take"

Danni grabbed Lyle by his collar. "You should have killed him all those years ago"

"I can’t kill my own son"

"But you can kill mine"

Marry walked over to Lyle. "He’s not your son, he’s you"

"What the hell are you going on about?"

"Tell him Lyle"

Lyle walked over to the window and looked out in confusion.

"Andrew was Lyle's clone"

"You can’t be serious"

"The test backfired, and Andrew had to be destroyed. Lyle couldn’t do it"

"That’s it, I’m going"

Lyle went to exit the room but was stopped by Marry. "Take this"

A small test tube containing a green liquid rested in Lyle’s hand. "He should take it every three weeks"

Lyle looked at the his hand. "There is not a day that goes by I don’t think how things might have been" Lyle turned and walked out.

Lyle sat in his car for a while staring at the test tube in his hand. His foot slammed down on the pedal and speed of down the street.
 

***
 

Lyle arrived back at his office three days later. Mr. Raines was in his office waiting for him. "We hate it when people betray us"

Lyle knew what it was, his safe was open and the picture was gone. "I have no idea what you talking about"

A sweeper threw the photo at Lyle’s feet. His eyes didn’t follow the photo but stared right on Raines.

"You lied, and there is only one thing we do to people how lie to us"

"No" Lyle's yell echoed throughout the Centre. The two gunshots that followed were silenced, no one knew of what had just happened.

feedback