Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
"From the dust of our Yesterdays we must shape our bright Tomorrows." Joan Walsh Anglund.

Thank you to Miravisu, Dark1, BlueTigress, AJeff, NYT, whashaza, Teddy78, Nancy, Sango2, imag1ne, and KatieQ, Arica, Princess of Rivendel and Daisyz for reading my story and sending such nice and supportive reviews. 



When the study room door opened, immediately the three men in the room turned and stared at the man entering the room.  Sam stood from his chair; his whole body rigid and ready for action, but he only followed the tall man with a suspicious glance. Something inside told him that the man the Centre had ordered them to hunt and capture for the past six years didn't pose any threat to them anymore.  Without saying a word, Jarod crossed the room slowly and like in a daze, the pretender lowered himself on the couch and sat there with his eyes cast downward.

For a few minutes the room was engulfed in complete silence, before Sydney decided to approach his pupil.  Gingerly, Sydney walked over and sat on the coffee table across from Jarod.  Even a blind man could see that something was terribly wrong and from what he had witnessed in his study; Jarod's talk with Miss Parker had made matters worse.  Sydney's immediately noticed the cut on Jarod's forehead, but what worried him the most was the pretender's state of mind.  Even though he was a genius and a pretender, he always could read his every thought and emotion on his face; after all he had practically raised this extraordinary person since he was a small child.  But now, what scared Sydney the most was the pain and emptiness that was so visible in Jarod's eyes; dark, inquisitively eyes that were now glistening with unshed tears. Trying hard to control his obvious concern for the young man, Sydney asked cautiously, "Are you alright?"

But the question went unanswered.  The pretender just sat there staring at his hands.

"Jarod....Jarod."  Sydney called repeatedly with concern until finally Jarod cast a glance in his direction, but remained silent.

"I know that is none of my business to ask you what happened between you and Miss Parker, but seeing you like this worries me."

"You're right; it is none of your business." Jarod said dryly, stood from the couch and walked to the window.

Silence ruled once again in the room as Sydney and the others waited for Jarod's next move. 

Discreetly, Sydney looked at both men standing by the study and with a quick nod ordered them to leave the room.

Sam and Broots quickly complied with the Doctor's request and headed for the kitchen.

Once they were alone in the room, Jarod spoke; his voice barely a whisper, "I'm sorry Sydney, I know you mean well, but there is nothing you can do at the moment."

"I can get you a dressing for that cut."  Sydney stated calmly.

"No thanks, it's not necessary."

"Alright, but at least let me prepare you something to eat or drink, you look very tired." Sydney said softly, not wanting to disclose his deep concern.

"No thank you Sydney.....I have to be on my way." Jarod said, turning to face his mentor.

"Jarod, earlier I learned something disturbing from Broots"  Sydney began. "That Lyle...."

"Was murdered." Jarod finished for him.  Locking eyes with his mentor, Jarod continued, "And you want to know if I killed him?"

"I'm sorry for having the slightest suspicion that you could have done it." Sydney said embarrassed. "I know that you are not capable of killing out of hate or revenge."

"But you also know that I had plenty of reasons to kill Lyle." Jarod added to ease his mentor's guilt. "And I almost did once; when Nicholas was kidnapped.....remember?"

"Yes, but you didn't." Sydney added and once again a long silence stretched between the two men.

"What about Miss Parker?"  Sydney asked cautiously changing the topic of their conversation. "It's obvious that you both need more time to speak and work things out."

"No Sydney, everything that was needed to be said was said." Jarod said softly; tears welling in his eyes once more. "I made a terrible mistake and I paid the price, but I have no regrets....Well, maybe one." Jarod paused again and looked towards the study. "That I was not able to save her from that evil place sooner....Now I have lost two friends."

"No Jarod, you did save her."  Sydney said firmly as he took hold of the young's man arm. "You opened her eyes to the truth and that made her stronger. You made her change Jarod, and you helped her see that she was not like the other monsters in that place."

"It doesn't matter anymore." Jarod said dejectedly as he broke free from his mentor's hold.

"What happened to your never give up attitude?" Sydney asked, his voice heavy with reproach.

"I guess I have finally learned to lose." Jarod said defeated.

"Running away will offer no solace." Sydney said softly.

"Remember what you told me once, it is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all....Well, now I can say that finally I've learned that lesson."

A long paused followed as Sydney tried to come up with words or an explanation to help his protégé. It saddened him immensely to see Jarod so broken.  Flashes of memory took Sydney to a very dark period of his life. While under the Centre's ruling, for more than thirty years, he had simply stood by and ignored Jarod's pain and mistreatment.  Sometimes it was just fear of losing this extraordinary human being to a greater evil, but other times he was simply consumed and blinded by the scientific breakthroughs.  No, it was also his own greed to explore the amazing mind of this young genius that was put under his care. Perhaps, someday Jarod would find it in his heart to forgive him, but deep inside he knew that when his time came he would be judge for his mistakes. But right now something scared him more than his own damnation, the idea of letting Jarod walk away and never see him again.

Pulling himself from his troubled memories, Sydney looked into his protégé sad eyes and began softly, "With Angelo's funeral and the fact that she had been drinking, I'm sure that Miss Parker said things that she really didn't mean. You know how impulsive she can be."  Sydney tried to explain. "Jarod, you're welcome to stay here tonight and try to talk to her tomorrow when her mind is clearer. Please think about it....You cannot leave things like this."

"I'm sorry Sydney, but Miss Parker made things pretty clear already....Thank you anyways, but I really have to leave." Jarod said sadly and paused for a moment before continuing, "A few days ago I received an e-mail from my father on my mother's whereabouts....I plan to meet with them in a few days."

"That's wonderful news."  Sydney exclaimed elated. "I'm very happy for you."

"Thank you Sydney." Jarod replied quietly as he walked across the room and grabbed his backpack from the floor.

"I hope that you'll stay in touch.Sydney said timidly.

"Yes, I'll call you as soon as I can." Jarod said with a sad smile. "Sydney can I ask you a favor?"

"Yes, yes of course, anything."  Sydney said earnestly.

"Please take care of her." Jarod paused for a moment when his voice failed him. "I know that she's a strong woman, but she's hurting, even though she will never admit it.....She needs you."

"Don't worry; I'll keep an eye on her."  Sydney reassured him.

Jarod smile slightly and thanked his mentor with a nod before directing his attention back to the backpack in his hand.  Slowly, he removed the old wooden box from his backpack and placed it on the coffee table. Then he reached into his leather jacket and retrieved a letter from his pocket. Jarod looked at the letter for a moment and then handed it to Sydney. 

"Please give this box and letter to Miss Parker" Jarod said simply. "It's very important that she gets them."

"Yes, I will give them to her....Don't worry."  Sydney promised.

Looking at the old box and then at the letter in his hand, Sydney was unable to contain his curiosity any longer, "Is this another little game?"

Sighing tiredly, Jarod replied, "No, this is deadly serious."

Frowning Sydney said, "I don't understand."

When the pretender remained silent, Sydney pressed on, now more intrigued by Jarod's earlier words, "Do these items hold more secrets about Miss Parker's mother?"

Avoiding his mentor's questionable gaze, Jarod replied softly, "No, they hold her freedom."

"What?....What do you mean by that?"  Sydney asked unable to hide the concern in his voice.

"Miss Parker will understand." Jarod replied faintly and began to move towards the front door.

"Wait Jarod!"  Sydney called suddenly panic-stricken. "What should I tell Miss Parker when she asks where you went?"

"Tell her that I went home." Jarod replied sadly. "Good-bye Sydney."

Just as Jarod was about to leave, Sydney approached his pupil, wrapped his arms around him and spoke with fondness, "Take care of yourself son."

Once again shocked by his mentor's display of affection, Jarod just stood motionless unable to return the embrace. When Sydney finally released him, Jarod smiled somewhat baffled and said, "I will, thank you Sydney."

After Jarod had left, Sydney found himself staring at the closed door; a feeling of dread suddenly overtaking him. With shaky legs, that almost failed to support him any longer, Sydney walked to the couch and slowly lowered his tired old body. The old man stared at the white envelope in his hand and then his eyes shifted to the old wooden box sitting on the coffee table.  Something was very wrong.  Jarod's words kept coming back to him, but what did he mean by her freedom?  A cold shiver came over him at the thought of Jarod making a deal with the Centre to obtain Parker's freedom, but the Centre was gone. What contents were in this envelop and in this box that would change his childhood friend's life and set her free? 

A movement to his right suddenly pulled Sydney from his troubled thoughts. When he looked up he found Broots and Sam standing by the kitchen door staring at him. Before he was able to speak, Sam interrupted in an angry tone, "Where's Jarod?"

"He left."  Sydney said tiredly.

"What do you mean he left?" Sam growled as he approached the old man. "He just walked away?"

"Yes Sam, he's gone.....I had no reason to stop him." Sydney said calmly.

"Well, Miss Parker is going to blow a fuse when she hears about this." Sam continued annoyed. "I can't believe this....We've been chasing after the Lab rat for over six years and you just let him walk away!.....What were you thinking?"

Rising from the couch, Sydney took a few steps towards the angry bodyguard and replied fuming," Sam, the Centre is gone and Miss Parker gave me no orders to detain Jarod.....If you think otherwise, talk to your boss."

The anger in the old man's eyes made the husky sweeper take a few steps back. When Sam glanced at the techie standing a few feet away, he saw the same surprised look on his face.

Trying to defuse the heated argument, Broots stepped in and asked cautiously, "Sydney, don't you think we should see if  Miss Parker is okay?.....I mean....You know, she and Jarod had quite an argument in there.....I mean, from the look in Jarod's face it was a doozie."

"Not yet, give her a few more minutes."  Sydney replied more calmed, then looking at the letter in his hand again added quietly, "I'll talk to her and give her the things Jarod left for her."

"What things?"  Sam asked suspiciously.

"Jarod told me to give her this letter and that box." Sydney replied pointing to the box on the coffee table.

"WOW! This is quite an antique!  Broots exclaimed bending down to study the old wooden box. "Sydney, have you opened it yet?"

"No Broots, that not for me to do." Sydney said simply. "Jarod just told me to make sure Miss Parker received these items.....She's the one who should open them."

"Okay, but I would love to see what's inside." Broots commented as he stood; his eyes still fixed on the old box.

At that precise moment, the door to the study flew open and Miss Parker appeared. The tall woman appeared as if nothing had happened, but Sydney immediately noticed the sadness in her eyes. The same emptiness that was present in the eyes of the tormented little girl he had consoled thirty years earlier when her mother was taken so violently from her life.

Prudently, Parker made a quick scan of the room, but the pretender was not in sight.  Perhaps he had stepped outside to clear his head or he was in the kitchen eating.  After all, the guy was always trying to experience new things, especially food. Trying to avoid her old friend's securitizing gaze, Parker walked across the room and dropped heavily on the couch.  Raking her hand through her silken black hair tiredly she asked softly, "Sydney can I have some aspirin?....I feel a headache starting."

"Yes, of course."  Sydney replied and quickly disappeared down the hall.

Completely ignoring the other two men in the room, Parker closed her eyes and leaned back, praying all the while that Broots and Sam would do the same. She just wanted to be alone and not think about anything. Tomorrow she would face her obligations and worry about the future of the Centre and continue with her own desolate existence. That was her curse, the Parker curse, to rule in Hell and die alone like all those before her.

After what seem like an eternity, Sydney returned with a bottle of aspirin and a glass of water.

"Parker, here is the aspirin." Sydney called gently.

"Thank you Syd." Parker replied tiredly.

When she was done, Sydney took the empty glass and bottle of aspiring and placed them on the coffee table.  Without saying a word, Sydney sat on the couch next to Miss Parker, looking for the right moment to give her the message from the pretender.  His deep concern for the two people he saw as his own children was eating him from inside.  First, there was the possibility of Parker having another breakdown, but he would watch over her like a hawk, like he had promised Jarod.  But then, there was Jarod's cryptic message, which kept replaying inside his head.  Something was telling him that once again Jarod had put himself in harms way to help his childhood friend and this thought made him shiver with fear. Still holding the envelope that Jarod had trusted him with, Sydney looked at the woman next to him and asked cautiously,

"Are you alright?"

"I will be as soon as this aspiring starts working."

Not wanting to delay the unavoidable any longer Sydney began. "Jarod left this letter for you."  Sydney said softly and handed the letter to Parker. 

Slowly, Parker took the letter from his hand and just stared at it; apprehension visible in her eyes.

"He also left that box for you."  Sydney added pointing at the old box sitting at the other end of the coffee table.

"OH MY GOD!"  Parker gasped; her eyes widening with shock, when she saw the object she had fail to notice earlier.

Jumping to her feet, Parker moved to the other side of the small table and knelt down. Gingerly she opened the old wooden box. When its contents came into view, Parker's hand flew to her mouth to contain the emotions that were obviously overwhelming.

"Jarod said that you would understand."  Sydney said nervously standing from the couch and approaching the young woman.

Sam and Broots also moved closer, curious to see the contents of the box.

"WOW!" Broots exclaimed softly. "Those documents look pretty old.....Where do you think Jarod found them?"

Sam remained silent, confused by his boss' change in demeanor.

After a long moment of complete silence, Parker whispered, "But how did he....." but she choked on her words.

"Parker what's wrong?"  Sydney asked concerned when he noticed all the color drain from her face.

Suddenly aware of the crumpled letter she was still holding in her other hand; Parker rose to her feet and slowly walked away from the three men. With shaky hands she quickly opened the envelope and began reading the letter.

Sydney, Sam and Broots looked at each other questionably waiting impatiently for the tall woman to share the contents of the letter.

Finally, when Parker finished reading the letter, she dashed towards the kitchen, leaving the three men with a puzzled look on their faces.

Baffled by Parker's reaction, Sydney followed the tall woman and asked again, "Miss Parker, what's wrong?"

"WHERE IS HE?"  Parker asked frantically as she moved pass the old man and exited the kitchen.  Still very agitated, Parker opened the front door and looked outside, but there was no sign of the pretender.

"WHERE'S JAROD?" Parker shouted.

"He's gone." Sydney said cautiously.

"WHAT?....WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE'S GONE?"

"I told you that you made a big mistake by letting him go." Sam added arrogantly, but clammed up when Sydney shot him a venomous glare.

"I had no reason to hold him here, plus he was pretty upset after....." Sydney tried to explain but stopped when he noticed the fear in Parker's eyes.

"Parker, what did the letter say?"  Sydney asked softly.

As if in a trance, Parker walked to the couch and sat down heavily. Closing her eyes, she raked her hand through her hair nervously. "Jarod's insane." She muttered.

"What do you mean by that?  Sydney asked alarmed. "Is Jarod in trouble?"

Looking into the old man's eyes, Parker answered; her voice shaking with fear and disbelieve, "Jarod has declared war against the devil."

TBC