Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
"He thatcannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must passhimself; for every man has need to be forgiven." Thomas Fuller

Author's note: Thanks to Ajeff, Julie250, whashaza, Teddy78, Nans, NTY, Nancy,imag1ne, cally, HuntingPeace, Miravisu, Jefinner, Virago500,charro,VisualIDentificationZeta, Blue Tigress, and Dark1 for all yourreviews. Also many thanks to my beta reader, Jaccione for allher help. Mercy



The drive back to Sydney's home was made in an uncomfortable silence, except for the few times when Sydney had to mildly reprimand Miss Parker for her excessive speed. Parker would simply give him a stern look and resumed her reckless driving.

Finally, Sydney could not stand the tension any longer and exploded. He stared directly at the woman next to him and uttered in an angry tone, "Miss Parker, this behavior of yours is very childish and I would like to arrive at my home intact."

Parker glared at the older man and spat back, "You never complained about my driving before, especially during the years when we were chasing after the Lab rat."

"Parker please." Sydney scolded in a softer tone. He really didn't want to start a fight with Miss Parker on this day.

After a few long minutes of silence, Sydney spoke again. His tone was controlled, but his body was still tense and his eyes remained focused on the road ahead, "Parker, did something happen back at the cemetery?"

"Nothing that concerns you Syd." Parker replied dryly.

"Is Jarod the reason why you're so upset?" Sydney insisted; he simply wanted to find out what was bothering Parker before they arrived at his home.

"JAROD, JAROD; He's always the reason isn't it Sydney?" Parker hissed.

"Miss Parker, I don't understand. Did Jarod contact you before the service? Did he say something to upset you?" Sydney asked nervously.

"Like I said before Syd, this doesn't concern you."

"Anything that involves you or Jarod always concerns me Parker." Sydney said in a tortured tone. "Parker, I thought that after so many years you would accept my help...I though you trusted me."

Even though she didn't want to admit it, Sydney's words had touched her deeply. For many years she hid her feelings behind that cold mask and rejected his fatherly advice, but after her recent breakdown, she had finally accepted his help. The bond that was formed after her mother's death so many years ago was once again acknowledged and welcomed with open arms, but right now Sydney was the last person she wanted involved to solve her latest dilemma. Jarod was the one who had to answer to her. Just the thought of Jarod made the blood boil in her veins and once again the tears began to well in her eyes. Discreetly and somewhat embarrassed, Parker wiped away the tears of anger and pain that she had failed to hold back.

"Are you alright Miss Parker?" Sydney asked looking at the young woman with concern.

Sydney's words pulled her from her thoughts, but she refused to meet his concerned gaze. "I'm fine Sydney." Parker replied exhausted. "Sydney, no more questions please."

Sydney simply nodded in understanding and sighed tiredly. He would have to be patient and pray that Jarod would discover what was tormenting Parker. After all, these two extraordinary individuals had known each other since childhood and along with Angelo they had formed a unique alliance; one that had survived in spite of all the turmoil that surrounded their lives. Yes, it would be up to Jarod to reveal what was afflicting Parker and help her. Sydney reassured himself.

Once again total silence ruled inside the small vehicle.

When they finally arrived at Sydney's home, Sam and Broots were already waiting on the front porch, but there was no sign of Jarod.

Parker raced up the brick-covered driveway and stopped a few inches from the garage door, obtaining a sight of relief from the passenger sitting next to her.

Gingerly, Sydney opened his door and extracted his aching body from the little sports car. He stood for a moment outside the car to regain some circulation and feeling back in his legs. After the brief rest, he slowly began walking toward the awaiting guests, but Miss Parker remained sitting inside her car, frantically searching for something in her purse.

"Are you alright Doctor?" Sam asked frowning. "You look a little pale."

"I'm fine Sam, just the side effects from Miss Parker's driving." Sydney replied with annoyance as he moved to unlock the door.

"Oh, I understand." Sam said glancing at Broots, who was trying hard not to laugh.

Once he opened the door, Sydney moved aside and invited both men inside. "Gentlemen, please come in."

Just before following his guest inside, Sydney glanced towards the street once more. Still there was no sign of Jarod. Perhaps, the pretender had sensed the tension in Miss Parker and changed his mind about joining their little reunion. Sighing heavily, Sydney entered his home and proceeded to tend to his visitors.

After a few long minutes, the door flew open and Parker charged into the room. Ignoring the surprised look from the three men in the living room, Parker walked hurriedly into the kitchen.

"SYDNEY, WHERE IS THE SCOTCH?" Parker shouted from the kitchen a few seconds later.

The three men looked at each other with dread. Miss Parker sounded furious, and that usually meant that someone was going to pay dearly, but whom?

Sam and Broots looked at Sydney with sympathy and silently giving thanks that they didn't have to face the angry woman. Without a word, Sydney shook his head with disappointment, placed his tea cup on the coffee table and headed towards the kitchen.

Upon entering the kitchen, Sydney found Miss Parker searching the cabinets frenziedly.

"Parker, you know that hard liquor will only aggravate your ulcer." Sydney spoke softly, trying to calm the very agitated young woman.

Still not facing her old friend, Parker stopped her search momentarily; she closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose tiredly. She could feel the beginning of another hideous migraine and the last thing she needed was to get into an argument with Sydney about her health problems.

"Sydney please, I really don't need your medical advice right now!" Parker said in an annoyed tone. She didn't want to hurt Sydney's feeling again, but he was exhausting the little patience she had left.

When the old man remained silent, Parker turned around, shot him a venomous glare and shouted; her words coming out sharper than she intended, "WELL SYDNEY?"

"In my study; in the cabinet beneath the bookcase." Sydney said defeated.

Without another word, Parker took a glass from the cupboard and exited the kitchen.

Completely ignoring the bewildered gaze from the two men standing in the living room, Parker rushed into the study and slammed the door.

A few minutes later, Sydney returned to the living room; his face clearly showing a great deal of frustration.

"Sydney what's going on?" Broots whispered, approaching the older man.

"I don't know Broots." Sydney replied tiredly as he glanced toward the study. "Something is wrong, but Miss Parker won't tell me what it is?"

"I can tell you what's WRONG." Sam interrupted angrily. "Miss Parker was fine until Jarod showed-up. HE'S THE PROBLEM."

"I have to disagree with you Sam." Sydney replied softly as he remembered Parker's words from the previous night. "I don't understand what the voices are trying to tell me, I just know that I need to speak with Jarod."

The three men just stood in silence for a long moment staring at the closed door leading to the study.

"I better go talk to Miss Parker before she drowns herself with that scotch." Sydney said, breaking the uneasy silence.

Just as Sydney was about to open the door leading to the study, there was a soft knock at the front door.

Broots and Sam exchanged looks and then directed their attention to Sydney, who stood frozen by the study, his hand still on the door knob.

When the old man failed to react, Broots asked all jittery, "Sydney, are you expecting someone?"

"That must be Jarod." Sydney replied quietly and began walking towards the front door.

"JAROD?" Sam growled. WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?"

Surprised by Sam's outburst, Sydney stopped a few inches from the husky bodyguard; looking at the big man straight in the eyes, he replied in a low and threatening tone, "I INVITED HIM HERE AND I DON'T WANT ANY TROUBLE...UNDERSTOOD?"

"Yes Sir." Sam replied obediently and moved aside with a look of surprise. He always known that Sydney had raised and trained the wayward pretender since he was a small child and there was a special connection between the two of them, but he never realized how protective the old psychiatrist was about the Centre's priceless project. No wonder, the annoying genius had managed to stay loose for so long. Looking towards the study, Sam smiled. Miss Parker was a different matter. She might have been friends with the Lab rat when they were young, but she probably wanted to put a bullet in him for all the nasty tricks Jarod had played on her and her team over the years plus for all the wasted time they had spend running back and forth across the country chasing after the AWOL pretender. Sam smiled inwardly thinking, 'This is going to be a very interesting reunion after all and I thought I was going to be bored.'

Slowly, Sydney walked to the front door and opened it. There before him stood Jarod, dressed in his usual attire with black jeans, black T-shirt and leather jacket. He was also carrying a leather backpack. The two men stared silently at each other for a moment and for the first time, looking at his protégé closely; Sydney noticed how exhausted Jarod looked.

"Jarod, please come in." Sydney finally said somewhat embarrassed and pulled the young man by the arm. Sydney forced himself to save his questions for a later time when he and Jarod had a chance to talk alone, but the pretender's appearance concerned him.

Once inside the house, Jarod placed his leather backpack on the floor by the door and faced the two men standing in the middle of the living room.

After the shock had passed, Broots approached the pretender nervously and extended a shaky hand, "Ja...Jarod, this is a real surprise, how are you?" Broots said with sincerity.

"I'm fine Mr. Broots" Jarod answered softly, returning the firm but warm handshake. "Nice to see you again Mr. Broots ...How is Debbie?"

"Oh, she's doing Great!" Broots began. "We moved to California and she just loves it there...She wanted to come, but she has school right now, so she stayed with a friend...Have you ever been to California?...Silly me, you probably have...I mean, you had us chasing you all over the country, remember?" Broots stopped suddenly and smiled embarrassed. "I'm sorry Jarod."

"It's alright Mr. Broots; you were just doing your job." Jarod replied quietly and patted the techie's shoulder.

Broots smiled briefly and then turned serious, "Jarod, I'm sorry about Angelo."

"Thank you, Mr. Broots." Jarod replied sadly.

While Broots continued rambling about his new life in California, Jarod glanced at Sam, who had moved to the far side of the room and was leaning against the fireplace with his arms crossed. Since he entered the room, he had felt the angry eyes of the sweeper following his every move, but today he would avoid a confrontation with the brainless gorilla. He had more important matters to deal with at the moment, plus he didn't have the strength to deal with a belligerent bodyguard. For an instant, Jarod's dark eyes locked with Sam's icy blue orbs and he acknowledged his presence with a slight nod.

Sam nodded back with fury in his eyes, but remembering his promise to Sydney immediately looked away and reached for his drink sitting on the coffee table.

Completely unaware of the exchange between Jarod and the sweeper, Sydney approached the pretender and asked casually, "Jarod, can I get you something to drink?"

"Yes please, do you have coffee?" Jarod asked softly.

"Yes of course, I'll be right back." Sydney replied amiably and headed for the kitchen.

Just as Sydney was about to enter the kitchen, the study door swung open and Miss Parker appeared.

Completely ignoring the others present in the room, Miss Parker's cold blue eyes bore daggers into the pretender across the room; tears of anger glistened in her eyes. For a long moment the two of them stared at each other as the room grew completely silent.

Jarod sighed inwardly and braced himself for what was coming. Parker knew the truth about Dr. Bailey; he could see it in her eyes. Suddenly, his stomach was all wound-up into knots, and he saw himself like a convicted man about to walk his last few steps to the execution chamber. At that very moment, Jarod knew that nothing was going to save him from Miss Parker's wrath.

"Miss Parker..." Jarod began timidly, but before he was able to finish his sentence, the angry woman lunged forward and slapped the pretender across the face savagely as she shouted enraged, "YOU LYING BASTARD!"

The force of the slap nearly made Jarod lose his balance momentarily, but the pretender straightened himself and faced his nemesis again, fighting the urge to rub the burning red spot on his face.

But the onslaught was far from over, before Jarod was able to react, Parker descended on him again and began hitting him repeatedly with all her might as she screamed even louder, "HOW DARE YOU PLAY THAT DIRTY TRICK ON ME?...YOU SON OF A BITCH!...HOW CAN YOU PLAY WITH MY FEELINGS THAT WAY?...I SHOULD SHOOT YOU WHERE YOU STAND."

Sydney and the others stood frozen for an instant, shocked and confused by the scene taking place before them. Broots' face was ashen with fear and he was pressed against the front door trying to stay clear of the furious woman as she continued her mercilessly attack on the pretender.

Jarod was not fighting back at all, but simply trying to deflect some of Parker's blows.

Suddenly Sam's voice brought Sydney out of his state of shock. "Doctor, I think you better do something."

At Sam's request, Sydney rushed forward and grabbed Miss Parker by the arms and pulled her away from Jarod.

"PARKER PLEASE STOP!...WHAT IN GOD'S NAME HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU?" Sydney cried out louder than he intended.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Parker screamed back and freed herself from the old man's grasp. Avoiding everyone's questionable gaze, Parker ran back into the study and slammed the door shut.

Slowly, Broots approached the pretender and asked nervously, "Ja...Jarod; are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Jarod replied almost inaudibly; his eyes focused on the study door. He knew what he had to do to make things right.

"Wha...what happen?...I...I mean, what made Miss Parker so mad?" Broots stuttered uncontrollably. "Ja...Jarod, did...did you say something to her?...I mean, I...I've never seen her that furious."

Ignoring the techie's babbling, Jarod began to walk slowly towards the study, but just as he was about to reach the door, Sydney pulled him aside.

"Jarod, could you please tell me what just happened here?" Sydney begged, his voice laced with concern.

"Not now Sydney." Jarod replied softly; his eyes still fixed on the study door. When Jarod started to move towards the study again, Sydney blocked his path.

"Jarod, I don't think this is a good idea. Please give her some time to calm down." Sydney said seriously; his face wearing a deep expression of worry and sympathy.

"No Sydney, I need to talk to her now...I know what I'm doing." Jarod argued softly.

"But Jarod..." Sydney insisted.

"It's alright Sydney." Jarod interrupted the old man, giving him a gentle pat on his arm. Jarod paused for a moment before continuing in a tortured voice, "Things have gone terribly wrong between us for a long time...It's time to put our cards on the table and face the truth...She'll have to listen to me."

"If I were you, I would listen to the good Doctor Jarod." Sam's voice disrupted the quiet argument between Jarod and Sydney. "Miss Parker avoided shooting you during the past six years, but I think this time your 9th life has finally ran out." Sam finished with a smirk on his face.

When Jarod turned, Sam was met with a look filled with contempt. The pretender's dark and vindictive gaze send a chilling sensation down the sweeper's spine which rendered him speechless. Suddenly, Sam realized that provoking Jarod was not a good idea. He knew that the guy was a genius pretending to be some kind of Robin Hood, but he also had heard that there was a very fine line between genius and madness and by the crazed look in Jarod's eyes, he wasn't sure if the Lab rat had finally crossed that line.

Fearing Jarod's reaction, Sydney discreetly steeped in front of his protégé and giving the sweeper a stern look quickly ordered, "Sam, you and Broots go to the kitchen, lunch is ready."

"Alright Doctor." Sam replied sheepishly and took the opportunity to break away from Jarod's maddened glare. Avoiding looking at either man, Sam walked to the kitchen with Broots scurrying behind him.

In the few seconds that Sydney's attention was diverted to the annoying sweeper, Jarod took the chance and slipped into the study.

"Jarod..." Sydney began, but then frowned with disappointment; once again his pupil had played his disappearing trick on him. Sighing tiredly, Sydney looked at the study door indecisively. Should he enter the room to prevent another confrontation or give them some privacy to work things out? After some hesitation, Sydney said a silent prayer for the two people he loved as his own and headed towards the kitchen to join the others.

Upon entering the study, Jarod's eyes instinctively scanned the room for signs of trouble; a habit that would take a long time to suppress. Immediately, he located Parker standing in front of a large window with her back to him. She had her arms wrapped tightly around her thin form as her body shook from the silent sobs. On top of the desk was an open bottle of Scotch whisky and a glass half filled with the amber color liquid. Seeing Parker like this made his heart ache with guilt for he knew he was the cause of her pain.

Making a huge effort to hide his nervousness, Jarod swallowed hard and called in a small voice, "Miss Parker."

At the sound of his voice, the tall woman's body stiffened. Still with her back to the pretender, Parker reached very slowly for the glass vase sitting on the window ledge. Before Jarod had a chance to speak again, Parker turned around and threw the glass vase across the room.

With a look of pure shock, Jarod had to swerve out of the way to avoid the glass vase that was coming directly at him. The vase crashed against the wall a few inches from his head and as the pieces of glass ricocheted all around the room, one hit the target right above his right brow.

"OUCH!" Jarod cried out and raised his hand to where the cut was beginning to bleed profusely.

"Oh sorry, did that hurt?" Parker asked sarcastically.

"Yes, what do you think?" Jarod shouted back. "Or has the Scotch numbed your brain?"

"Grrrrrrr." Parker growled loudly; her eyes shooting daggers at Jarod.

"Oh oh." Jarod mumbled under his breath, suddenly regretting his previous remark.

Once again Parker began to look around the room for something else to throw at the pretender. A devilish smile began to form on her lips as her eyes landed on a large crystal ashtray sitting on Sydney's desk.

Jarod followed her gaze and raced towards the ashtray, making it just in time to grab it from her hands.

"MISS PARKER STOP THIS!" Jarod said firmly. "HAVE YOU GONE MAD?"

"NO JAROD, YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S MAD, REMEMBER?" Parker said through clenched teeth. "I JUST WANT TO KILL YOU RIGHT NOW."

Parker's words inflicted more pain that the cut on his head, bringing back painful memories of the deadly game that had destroyed both their lives.

Jarod shook his head sadly and looked into her cold eyes. "Miss Parker, you don't know what you're saying."

"NO GENIUS, YOU'RE WRONG THIS TIME" Parker screamed; her eyes glaring with fury. "I MEAN EVERY WORD!"

"Miss Parker, please listen I can explain." Jarod pleaded.

"THERE'S NOTHING TO EXPLAIN." Parker hissed back and raced towards the bookshelf, where she had spotted a glass figure in the shape of a bonsai tree; a gift she had given Sydney for Christmas the previous year.

Jarod managed to dive behind the desk as the glass tree came flying towards him, barely missing him and crashing against the wall next to the door.

At that precise moment, Sydney opened the door and shouted angrily, "MISS PARKER, JAROD, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?"

"SYDNEY, GET OUT!" Jarod and Parker shouted in unison.

Immediately, noticing the look of anger in both their faces and the condition of his study, Sydney retreated from the room and shut the door.

Upon his return to the living room, Sydney was greeted with questionable looks from both men.

Sydney began to pace the room nervously, ignoring the two men in the room.

After a long and uncomfortable silence, Broots approached his old friend and asked nervously, "Sydney, what's going on in there?"

Sydney paused by the large window and said tiredly, "I don't know Broots...but I pray that they come to their senses before someone gets hurt."

"HURT?" Sam exclaimed, as he reached for his weapon and began moving toward the study.

"SAM STOP!" Sydney shouted and quickly moved, blocking the husky sweeper. "You are not going to solve anything by entering that room." Sydney said in a calmer voice.

"IF THAT SON OF THE BITCH HURTS MISS PARKER, I SWEAR..." Sam growled, as he stared angrily into the old man's eyes.

"Jarod would never hurt Miss Parker." Sydney replied seriously. "I give you my word."

After a tense moment, the loyal sweeper retrieved his hand from his coat and skeptically nodded in agreement. Still not too happy with the old man's request, Sam remained standing by the study door in case his boss would need his assistance.

"I think Jarod is the one who's in danger." Broots murmured, obtaining a surprised look from both men.

"I mean...uh...you know...M...Miss Parker can be pretty mean when she gets angry...and...and she always carries her...gun." Broots stuttered.

Sydney raked his hand nervously through the few silvered strands and faced Sam again. "Does she have her gun with her?"

"She always does." Sam said simply and then added, "Maybe you should change your plan to stay put Doctor."

After a moment's rest, while dealing with the interruption, Parker resumed her attack on the pretender. Still enraged, Parker returned to the bookshelf and began throwing the largest books she could find.

Even though Jarod managed to deflect most of the books coming straight at him, Parker had an excellent aim and a few hit the target painfully.

"PARKER, STOP THIS NONSENSE NOW! Jarod shouted, but his warning fell on deaf ears.

"NONSENSE?; I'LL GIVE YOU NONSENSE!" Parker snarled, staring at Jarod with implacable hate. "YOU LYING BASTARD!"

Now growing tired of her childish and dangerous behavior, Jarod rushed towards her at the first opportunity. As his huntress was reaching for another book, Jarod came from behind her and wrapped his arms around her, making her drop the heavy book on her foot.

The pretender's unexpected move and the pain on her foot infuriated the tall woman even more and Parker began to fight ferociously against the taller man's hold.

For fear of hurting her and thinking that the liquor in her system had impaired her judgment and strength, Jarod loosened his hold on the raging woman and pleaded with her, "Miss Parker, please calm down."

Before Jarod was able to react, Parker freed one of her arms with lighting speed and elbowed the pretender in the stomach with all her might.

As the pretender doubled up in agony trying to catch his breath, Parker broke free, reached behind her and drew her 9mm from its holster at the small of her back.

Finally when Jarod straightened up, he found himself face to face with a very angry Miss Parker aiming her 9mm at his heart. The woman's eyes glittered with hostility and for the first time in all the years of his pursuit, Jarod truly feared for his life. Maybe Sam was right and this time she might really shoot him. The pretender swallowed hard and tried to hide his nervousness, but his voice caught in his throat and for a few second he was speechless.

"What? Cat got your tongue Genius?" Parker mocked with a devilish smile.

Jarod's eyes held her for a moment and when he finally spoke, his voice was filled with sadness and regret, "Is this how you want to end the game Miss Parker?...Kill me and finally gain your freedom."

Silence stretched between them for a long moment as the meaning of his words began to break down her defensive wall. As her piercing stare began to fade, Parker's eyes glistened with tears. The weapon in her hand began to shake and without saying a word, Parker lowered the weapon and slammed it on the desk, causing the pretender to flinch. Embarrassed by her display of weakness, the tall woman turned her back to the pretender and slowly walked to the window.

Jarod closed his eyes and breathed a sigh of relief, but he knew the battle was not over yet.

The minutes of complete silence that followed seemed like an eternity. When Parker finally spoke, her lips trembled with emotion, "Why Jarod?" She asked quietly and paused. "Why did you do this to...me?"

"I'm sorry Miss Parker." Jarod said almost inaudibly. "I never meant to hurt you."

"But you did Jarod." Parker reached up to wipe a stray tear. "You had no right."

Silence ruled in the room once again.

"Miss Parker, I wanted to help you...I was afraid of what you might...do." Jarod's voice cracked on the last word.

"NO JAROD, THIS WAS JUST A GAME TO YOU!" Parker turned around and snapped back at him angrily. "ANOTHER OF YOUR SICK PRETENDS!"

"No Miss Parker, you're wrong! Jarod replied desperately.

"NO JAROD, YOU'RE A LIAR!" Parker told him coldly.

"No Miss Parker, you don't understand."

"No Jarod, this was like your ultimate pretend to ridicule me, to make me look like a..." Parker began but her voice trailed off.

"No Miss Parker; not this time." Jarod replied meekly, casting his eyes down. "I admit that I have played some nasty tricks on you in the past, but not this time."

"No Jarod, this was your MASTERPIECE. You were creative and vindictive." Parker said sarcastically as a new wave of tears started to flow. "You made a fool of me and killed Lyle."

"What?...Lyle is dead?" Jarod asked astonished.

"OH CUT THE CRAP JAROD!" Parker shouted angrily and advance towards the pretender, stopping a mere few inches from him. "YOU KILLED HIM. YOU WANTED TO KILL LYLE FOR A LONG TIME, AFTER HE KILLED YOUR BROTHER."

Without warning, Jarod took hold of Parker's arm and stared into her cold eyes, begging her to believe him, to trust him. "LISTEN TO ME PARKER!" Jarod pleaded. "I DIDN'T PLAN THIS AS A PRETEND TO MAKE FUN OF YOU. I SWEAR, AND I DIDN'T KILL LYLE. YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME!"

Startled by Jarod's reaction, Parker found herself tongue-tied and all she could do was stare into his deep brown eyes, but instead of seeing a madman she only saw pain and loneliness in his eyes. The same pain and loneliness she had seen so many times in the eyes of the imprisoned little boy she had befriended a million years ago inside that hell she called home. Now the monsters were dead and Hades would soon be in ruins, but why couldn't she say what she truly felt? Why couldn't she tell him what she really wanted in her life? What was stopping her now from taking that turning point that would change her life forever and set her free?

Suddenly, flashes of memory from their conversation on the back of that limo at Glasgow International Airport flooded her mind and she felt completely lost.

"What am I supposed to do Jarod?"

"Only you can answer that, I just hate to see anyone miss a turning point, when one is staring them right in the face."

"Miss Parker, Miss Parker?" Jarod called alarmed when he noticed the faraway look in her eyes.

Jarod's voice pulled Parker from her reverie and just as quick her protective Ice Queen mask was back in place.

Breaking away from his grasp, Parker pushed Jarod away harshly and took her glass of Scotch from the desk. Slowly she walked to the window once again and stood there gazing at nothing in particular while she drank the remaining of the clear liquid.

"That not good for your ulcer." Jarod warned softly.

"Since when do you care about me Jarod?" Parker replied dryly.

"I care Miss Parker; more than you think."

Parker ignored the comment and downed the last of her drink.

After a long paused, Parker turned and faced Jarod. Glaring at the preten

J arod's words sounded sincere and the anguish in his voice send a chilling sensation down her spine. For an instant she believed him. Somehow, he had felt her pain and like many times in the past he had come to her aid, but still she could not bring herself to forgive him.


"Nice try Genius, but it won't work this time." Parker growled, pushing away any trace of doubt or weakness. "I'm not going to fall for your little act Jarod. This was just for your entertainment, like the hundreds of tricks you have played on us since you left the Centre."

"No Miss Parker, you're wrong!" Jarod pleaded. "I wanted to help you...I could hear in your voice that you were hurting."

"Jarod, why don't you just leave me alone?" Parker screamed irritated and turned her back to Jarod again. "I don't need your help...I just want you out of my life for good Jarod." Parker whispered; her voice now trembling with emotions.

Sighing heavily, Jarod began, "I'm sorry I had to lie to you Miss Parker...I never meant to hurt you this way...but I was afraid to lose you." His voice broke momentarily. "I don't know what I would do if something happened to you."

Parker just stood there listening while a battle of emotions ravaged inside her, making her wonder if this time she had gone too far.

"Miss Parker, you think that everything in my life is a pretend, but you're wrong. I care about you and that's no pretend." Jarod smiled sadly before continuing. "When we were kids back at the Centre, I made myself a promise to protect you...I was always there to hold you when you were hurting, but in reality you were the one who kept me alive in that dark place...Miss Parker you captured and held my heart from the first time we met." Jarod spoke softly as he fought to control his own emotions. "But if your hatred is the price I'll have to pay for trying to help you, then I'll accept it. You win Miss Parker, I'll go away, but know this...You were the best thing that came into my life."

A long paused followed, but Parker remained silent, unable to face Jarod or control the flow of new tears.

Accepting her silence as her final answer, Jarod said defeated, "I think I better leave....Thank you for everything you did for Angelo...Good bye Miss Parker." Saying that, Jarod turned and exited the study.

As Jarod closed the door slowly, Parker murmured, "I could never hate you Jarod, that's the problem...I love you."

TBC