Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The Pretender and all its characters are not mine. They belong to NBC, MTM, TNT, and its Producers. I'm just borrowing them to write this story for entertainment. No infringement intended.

"There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning."
Thornton Wilder

Author's note: Thanks to Ajeff, Julie250, whashaza, Teddy78, Nans, NTY, Nancy, imag1ne, cally, HuntingPeace, Miravisu, Jefinner, Virago500, charro and Dark1 for your reviews. Your kind words mean a world to me and I dedicate this chapter to all of you. Mercy



A week later.

"This is Sydney."
The accented voice gave his usual greeting after a couple of rings.

"Hi Sydney, how are you feeling today?" Parker asked. Her question was direct but Sydney could hear a touch of concern.

"I feel much better, thank you." Sydney replied with a smile. "Don't worry Parker; all I needed was a few days rest."

"That's what you said the last time and you ended up with pneumonia." Parker reprimanded softly.

"You worry too much Parker." Sydney joked.

"That's my job Sydney, besides you're all I have left." Parker said quietly.

"That's not true Parker." Sydney replied softly. "You know very well that others like..."

"Sydney, did that Doctor Bailey ever call you?" Parker interrupted.


"No Parker and I still don't remember anybody by that name." Sydney said while scratching his silvered head. "Parker, are you sure that was his name?"


"Yes Sydney, I'm sure." Parker said assertively. "I never forget a name."


"Well, I guess I will have to wait for his call." Sydney replied passively.


"Sydney, if he does call you, tell him I really would like to meet him someday." Parker added amiably.


"This doctor really made an impression on you?" Sydney said with a smile.


"I guess so...He made me see things clearer." Parker said almost inaudibly. After a long silence she continued. "Sydney, it was really strange. I felt as if I known him all my life, but most important of all he stopped me from doing something really stupid."


"Parker, I'm glad he was there to help you and I'm sorry for not being there when you needed me." Sydney said with regret.


"It's alright Syd. You're here now and our talk from that day also helped me a great deal." Her voice was soft and calm. So unlike the Miss Parker everyone feared.


Sydney smiled. He was so glad that finally Parker had opened up to him and slowly she was starting to trust him. It was a big and difficult step for her, especially when it came to sharing all her hidden emotions and fears. For decades she had kept all these feelings of sadness and guilt buried deep inside and they were slowly suffocating her. But now things were going to be different. Something told him that positive changes were just ahead and he silently prayed that happiness and peace would cross her path at last.


"Please don't worry Syd; I'm over my little crisis."


Suddenly, hearing her timid but sincere laughter over the phone line brought him back from his thoughts.


"Parker, you have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that." Sydney said lovingly.


"I know Syd, but the next time you decide to take-off to visit Michelle and Nicolas, please let me know." Parker scolded softly.


"I will Parker, I promise...Again, I'm sorry for not telling you about my trip, but since it was only for a couple of days I didn't think you would miss me." Sydney said apologetically.


"Okay Syd, I'll forgive you this time." Parker replied smiling.


"Syd?..." Parker began and paused for a moment. "Have you heard from Jarod lately?"


"Yes, he called me a few days before my trip." Sydney replied cautiously. "Why do you ask?"


"No reason...I just had a strange feeling that he might be..." Parker stopped herself suddenly and after a moment of silence continued, "How did he sound?"


"Well, to tell you the truth, he sounded terrible." Sydney began. "He was pretty sick."


"Sick?" Parker asked surprised.


"Yes, he had a bad flu, but he told me not to worry. Parker is your inner sense telling you something? Do you think Jarod is in any kind of danger?" Sydney's voice was now laced with concern.


"No Syd...My inner sense is not telling me anything and stop being such a mother hen." Parker said somewhat annoyed. "Your genius is a big boy."


"As long as I'm alive and the Centre is around, I'll worry about the two of you." Sydney said softly. "And no one will make me change Parker."


"I know Syd." Parker said with resignation.


After another moment of silence, Parker continued, "Sydney something has happened in Africa...Big changes are taking place at the Centre."


"What do you mean Parker?"


"Yesterday I received an e-mail telling me that The Triumvirate was cutting all bonds with the Centre and now Lyle is gone." Parker whispered.


"Lyle is gone?" Unintentionally, Sydney raised his voice surprised.


"Yes, two days after you returned I saw him in his office and he was acting very strange."


"What do you mean?" Sydney asked his voice suddenly serious.


"He was very nervous and he was packing all his files and belongings in a box." Parker stopped as a strange feeling came over her. "Sydney, he was terrified...I could sense his fear."


"That's strange...In the years I've known Lyle, he never shown any signs of fear, but he was very talented at creating panic in others." Sydney replied, his voice laced with loathing.


"Yes I know." Parker agreed.


"Parker, did he say anything to you?"


"No, he practically threw me out of his office and I haven't seen him since that day. Then, this morning when I was checking my messages I found a copy of an e-mail that Lyle received from the Triumvirate."


"The Triumvirate?" Sydney replied, now more intrigued.


"Yes, and it wasn't any kind of promotion." Parker said simply as she tried to recall the message. "Lyle was summoned to explain numerous charges that had been brought against him."


"Like a T-Board meeting?" Sydney asked quietly, remembering the last time they were all submitted to that nerve wrecking experience.


"Yes, that's the first thing that came to my mind." Parker sounded distant. After a long silence she added, "Syd, do you think Jarod had something to do with that summons?"


"I don't know Parker, but if he calls I will ask him."


"I'm surprised that Lyle didn't interfere with your plans to give Angelo this memorial service." Sydney voice was a mixture of anger and sadness.


"I guess he had more pressing matters on his mind, like his survival." Parker replied trying to suppress her anger.


But besides her animosity towards her psychotic brother, Sydney could clearly hear the anguish in her voice. Parker still felt very guilty for not being present when Angelo was laid to rest, but Sydney had prohibited her from attending the funeral in her state of mind. Her old friend feared that such an emotional ordeal would just send her plummeting into another nervous breakdown.


After a long pause, Sydney added cautiously, "I wish I could contact Jarod to tell him about Angelo's demise...I think he would want to come to the service."


"Maybe he already knows." Parker said simply.


"How would he know?" Sydney asked puzzled.


"Jarod always seems to know what's happening at the Centre." Parker spat back with annoyance.


"But that was before...when Angelo was with us." Sydney said with sadness.


"That's right...Angelo was his ears and eyes inside the Centre." Parker murmured softly as a sad smile appearing on her lips. "No wonder your boy genius always knew our every move ahead of time."


Even though she could not see her old friend's face, she could sense his proud smile. Since the day Jarod was assigned to Sydney at the Centre, he adopted the role of teacher, provider and protector. Others saw the young boy as Sydney's project and most valuable scientific accomplishment, but to the young and ambitious psychologist Jarod became a very important part of his life. Immediately, the young boy captured Sydney's heart and became more than his life's work, Jarod became the son he yearned to have.


Parker smiled inwardly, remembering how jealous she was of Jarod during those early years at the Centre when Sydney seemed to dedicate all of his time to the young pretender. So many times she wished that her father would be just like Sydney, but Mr. Parker only saw her demands for attention as childish requests or weakness. Perhaps, this was another reason why she began to resent Jarod in her teen years, something she truly regretted now.


"Parker...Parker are you still there?" Sydney's voice pulled her from her reverie.


"I'm sorry Syd, I just got lost in my thoughts."


"Parker, is there something wrong?" Sydney asked with concern.


"No Syd, is just that so many things have happened in the last few weeks, and now with Raines and Lyle gone, I don't know what's going to happen at the Centre?" Parker sounded scared and insecure.


"Parker don't worry, trust your inner sense." Sydney said calmly. "Parker, learn to listen to those voices and your heart, like your mother did."


"I don't know Syd." An uneasy silence followed. "I don't understand what the voices are trying to tell me, I just know that I need to speak with Jarod."


"Maybe he will have the answers you need." Sydney tried to reassure her.


"Or he will just give me another migraine." Parker said sarcastically and dropped heavily on her couch. She already could feel a headache coming on and the idea of seeing Jarod again had stirred some hidden emotions she just wasn't ready to deal with right now.


"Parker." Sydney reprimanded softly.


Finally, after a few long minutes of silence, Sydney spoke again, "If Jarod calls, I'll tell him that you need to speak with him."


"NO SYDNEY, DON'T TELL HIM ANYTHING!" Parker shouted with panic.


"But Parker, I don't understand, you just said that you needed to speak with him." Sydney replied bewildered.


"I can't speak with him at the moment...A need a few days to think...To get my thoughts straight." Parker said nervously.


"Alright Parker, but what do I tell him if he calls?"


"Just...just tell him about Angelo." Parker replied nervously.


"Parker did you called Broots?" Sydney asked trying to change the sensitive subject.


"Yes, he is flying in tonight and will meet us at the cemetery tomorrow morning." Parker sighed tiredly. It was going to be a long sleepless night. "Syd I'll pick you up at eight o'clock tomorrow."


"Alright Parker, I'll see you tomorrow early, and try to get some rest." Sydney said fondly.


"Good night Syd." Parker replied softly and disconnected the call.


Dover Cemetery

8:30a.m.


Miss Parker and Sydney were the first to arrive at the cemetery. Miss Parker looked impeccable in one of her black business suits and a bright turquoise satin blouse, but behind her dark sunglasses she hid the sadness and the dark circles under her eyes. In her hand she carried a single white rose.


Shortly after, Broots and Sam arrived together. After a brief greeting in the parking lot they silently walked towards the cemetery entrance.


They could not have picked a more beautiful day for the memorial service. The sun was warm and there was not a single cloud in the sky. A sound of laughter made her turn towards a statue of an Angel that adorned a nearby tomb, but she didn't see anyone. Suddenly she felt a slight chilling sensation travel through her body making her shiver and once again she was engulfed with guilt for not attending Angelo's funeral. "Stop this"Parker reprimanded herself quietly and focused on the task at hand, to pay their respects to a very special person.


Slowly, Parker and the others made their way to the top of the hill where Angelo's final resting place was located, a few feet from Catherine Parker's grave. Parker had requested that Angelo be buried near her mother. Something inside told her that her mother would have wanted this. After all, Angelo was one of Catherine's lost children. Parker's lips trembled into a weak smile. This final gift to the man she had acknowledged as her real brother gave her a small sense of peace and consolation.


At the gravesite, the preacher stood waiting for the mourners to approach.


When Sydney moved ahead of Miss Parker, Broots approached his former boss and whispered, braking the silence, "I'm sorry about your brother Miss Parker"


"Thank you Broots." Parker replied somberly. "And I know that Angelo thanks you for being here."


"Angelo?" Broots asked bewildered. "He was your brother also?"


Parker stopped suddenly, removed her sunglasses and turned to face Broots. Her piercing stare making the nervous man go pale suddenly.


"But ...But I...I didn't know that Angelo was your br...brother also." Broots stuttered uncontrollably. "I thought that Ly...Lyle and that other guy, E...Ethan were..."


"BROOTS, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME?" Parker spat back on the verge of loosing the little control she had.


"I was talking about Mr. Lyle." The techie finally blurted out. "He was found dead at the New York airport, still sitting inside his car, with a bullet to his head. It was all over the news this morning. Didn't you know?"


"WHAT?" Parker said, unable to hide the shock.


"Mr. Lyle was found dead at the..." Broots began again.


"I HEARD YOU ALREADY BROOTS!" Parker growled loudly.


At the sound of the commotion, Sydney approached the pair and inquired, "Parker, Broots, what's going on here?" Sydney looked from one face to the other. "The preacher is waiting to start the service."


"I'm sorry Syd." Parker replied embarrassed and took hold of Sydney's arm. Glancing over her shoulder at Broots she uttered in a threatening tone, "We will finish this later."


Broots just nodded in understanding and hurried toward the tomb site, leaving Miss Parker and Sydney behind.


Once everyone was gathered in front of Angelo's grave, the preacher began to read a few chosen passages from the Bible. As the words penetrated her tired mind, Miss Parker began to feel a sense of serenity she had not experienced for a very long time. It was like a message telling her that her lost brother had found his freedom and peace at last, but this feeling was short-lived and was interrupted by dark and painful memories. Parker remembered Jarod's words when Thomas had died, "Miss Parker you spend way too much time in cemeteries." Parker closed her eyes tightly trying to keep the tears at bay." Yes, Jarod you're right." She whispered inwardly. Maybe this was The Parker curse, like Jarod had said on their last conversation after their brief encounter in that dammed island. Anguish and loss had become a constant in her life. No, this was not a life it was a life-sentence, like Thomas had told her once. Yes, it was a sentence she could not run away from and once again, she was engulfed by sadness.


When the preacher was done with the reading he looked at the downcast faces of the mourners and asked, "Does anyone wants to say a few words?"


The preacher's question made Parker snap back to attention and leave her troublesome thoughts behind.


The faces looked at each other questionably.


Without further delay, the tall woman stepped forward and approached the head stone marking Angelo's grave. Slowly, Parker bent down and placed the white rose on top of his grave.


Rising to her full height again, Parker faced her friends and began, "First, I want to thank you all for coming today." Parker paused for a moment trying to gather strength from her friends. "What can we say about Angelo?" Her voice cracked on his name. She took a deep breath and continued. "Angelo was very special...I remember the day I met Angelo." Parker smiled at the memory. "Jarod and I were wondering around the Centre sublevels and we found Angelo hiding in one of the air vents...He was very shy and hardly spoke, but he didn't have to." Parker turned and gently touched the head stone. "His special gift spoke loudly...He always knew how Jarod and I felt...It was like he could read our minds...our feelings." Parker paused for a moment. "At first, it bothered me that he knew my every thought, but many times that special gift saved us from a lot of trouble...Angelo always knew when danger was nearby...He was like our guardian Angel." Again, Parker felt a lump in her throat and was forced to stop to find her voice. "I ignored him and ridiculed him so many times and I will never forgive myself for being so cruel to him, but he never treated me with resentment." Parker stopped for a moment to wipe the tears she could no longer hold. After a short pause she continued. "His kindness has made me see life in a new light and I'm sure Angelo has touched all of your lives in some way...I only wished that I've known that he was my...WHAT THE HELL?" Parker spat out suddenly as her eyes widened in surprise and she stared numbly at the tall figure approaching in the distance.


At Miss Parker's strange outburst, the others turned and stared dumfounded at the approaching visitor.


"JAROD!" Sydney was the first to break the silence, but remained frozen on his spot.


Still limping a little, Jarod walked pass the small group of mourners and stopped in front of Angelo's grave. Gingerly he knelt down and gently touched the still fresh dirt that covered his friend's grave. Still ignoring the small group of people a few feet away, Jarod placed a small bouquet of flowers and a box of Cracker Jack in front of the head stone. Then after gently touching the writings on the head stone, he slowly rose to his full height and stood there silently for a few long minutes as the others stared in confusion.


When Parker noticed Sam's hand moving toward his holster, she gestured with her hand to stop her bodyguard's action. Jarod had every right to be there to say goodbye to Angelo and she would accepted this with a temporary truce.


Finally, with some apprehension, Sydney approached the Pretender and placed a hand on his shoulder. Jarod flinched automatically, but relaxed a little when he heard that familiar accented voice, "Jarod, are you alright?"


"I'm fine Sydney." Jarod replied tiredly; his eyes still fixed on his friend's tomb.


A long pause followed before Sydney spoke again. His voice barely audible, "Jarod, I'm sorry about Angelo."


"I should have never left him behind." Jarod's voice was laced with sadness and regret.


"Jarod, don't do this." Sydney said in a scolding tone. "Angelo's death was due to natural causes...A heart attack."


"Death from natural causes." Jarod laughed sarcastically. "Is that the new term they're using at the Centre?"


"Miss Parker ordered an autopsy immediately and it was performed at a facility outside the Centre." Sydney said in a calmed voice. "They found signs of a congenital heart defect...Jarod, this was something, no one could have prevented."


Finally, Jarod turned around and faced his mentor. Sydney looked at the younger man and smile slightly trying to ease Jarod's troubled mind, but all he found was sadness and emptiness in the pretender's gaze. Without warning, Sydney moved forward and embraced his pupil warmly, obtaining a look of surprise from the Centre's former retrieval team.


"Let's go boys." Parker ordered somewhat irritated after the initial shock had passed. Without looking back, Parker and the two men began to walk towards the cemetery entrance.


Sydney's gesture shocked the pretender as well and for a moment he could not speak or return the embrace. Jarod just stood perfectly still until his mentor released him.


"Come on Jarod." Sydney said simply and gently pulled him away from the gravesite.


"Where are we going?" Jarod asked cautiously, a hint of concern in his voice.


"To my home." Sydney replied calmly. "I've ordered some food for lunch...We are just going to get together to remember Angelo."


Jarod began to walk slowly next to Sydney, but suddenly stopped and looked at his mentor; his dark eyes revealing a mixture of anguish and fear. "I don't think Miss Parker would agree with me being there."


"Jarod, It's my Home and my Invitation." Sydney said firmly. "There is nothing to discuss and Miss Parker has no saying in this matter."


After a moment of hesitation, Jarod nodded somberly and continued walking next to the old man.


"How is Miss Parker?" Jarod asked his voice barely above a whisper.


"She's fine now." Sydney paused and looked at Jarod questionably. "She had a minor crisis, but she recovered...She's a very strong woman."


"A minor crisis?" Jarod was unable to hide the concern in his voice.


"Don't worry Jarod. She's fine now, plus it is not my place to tell you about her personal problems." Sydney said simply.


"I understand." Jarod replied softly and resumed walking next to his mentor.


Suddenly, Sydney noticed the Pretender's slight limp. He looked at his protégé inquisitively and asked, "Jarod, what happened to your foot?"


"It was nothing Sydney, just a stupid accident." Jarod replied, his lips forcing a sad smile momentarily.


"During one of your pretends?" Sydney asked with curiosity.


"No, I was distracted talking on the phone and I accidentally hit the foot of the bed and broke my toe."


"Well, they say that most accidents occur at home." Sydney replied casually.


Jarod simply nodded.


Silence ruled once again as they walked down the hill to join the others.


Even though, he had not seen Jarod for a long time, he could still read his pupil's every emotion on his face. He had practically raised this extraordinary young man since he was a small child and there was not a single emotion that Jarod could hide from him. It was obvious that the pretender was in pain and afraid, but what hurt Sydney the most was that he had lost his protégé's trust and he really could not blame him. Sydney sighed inwardly and continued walking silently. He would have to deal with Jarod's distrust at a later time, but for now he was glad that the pretender had found the courage to come to pay his respect to his childhood friend.


"Jarod, I think that it is safe for you now." Sydney said breaking the uncomfortable silence. "The Triumvirate is no longer running the Centre and Lyle is gone as well."


"What do you mean Lyle is gone?" Jarod stopped suddenly and faced his mentor. His dark eyes filled with contempt.


"Parker told me that about a week ago Lyle packed all his belongings and disappeared." Sydney began nervously. He had never seen so much hate in Jarod's eyes. "It appears that the Triumvirate called him back to Africa."


"I doubt that Lyle would return to Africa now." Jarod replied with repugnance. "Here at the Centre is where he has the power."


"Well, I don't give a damn about Lyle or why he has vanished?" Sydney spat back, obtaining a surprised look from the pretender. "What's important now is that you're here and you're well."


"It's nice to see you again Sydney." Jarod said softly, keeping his eyes lowered. "How are you feeling health wise?"


"I'm fine Jarod...Just a little arthritis in my bad knee from time to time, but now that I'm retired, I have more time to rest."


"And enjoy your reading." Jarod finished for Sydney.


Sydney smiled at the comment. Jarod knew him too well and in many ways better than his own family. A family he had recently discovered and was still getting to know after the many years of force separation.


After a few long minutes of silence, Sydney spoke again, "You sound better than the last time we spoke."


"Yes, I finally got rid of that nasty flu." Jarod said with a forced smile and again shifted his gaze to the ground.


When they finally arrived at the cemetery entrance, Sydney looked around the parking lot as if searching for something but only saw Parker and the others waiting. He turned to Jarod and asked, "Jarod, do you need a ride?"


"No thanks, Sydney. My car is parked at the other entrance."


"Then I'll expect you at my home in a few minutes." Sydney smile with confidence.


"Alright Sydney, I'll see you soon." Jarod replied meekly.


Amiably Sydney patted the pretender on the back and began walking towards Miss Parker who was waiting near the two men with arms crossed. Jarod just stood there for a moment staring at the tall woman and the two men who had pursued him relentlessly for over six years. Even though he could not see her eyes behind the dark glasses, Jarod could sense her piercing blue eyes on him and for a moment he stood frozen with fear.


'Was going to Sydney's home a wise choice?' Jarod thought with apprehension. He still had to tell her about his latest pretend in Africa and about Dr. Bailey. 'What will her reaction be?' The question made him shiver. 'Maybe after her crisis, she had changed and would understand his attempt to help her, but on the other hand, she might finally shoot him for lying to her.' Jarod debated the outcome in his mind, but he had no other choice. "Sooner or later I will have to tell her the truth." Jarod murmured to himself and sighed tiredly.


When he saw Sydney reach the Centre team, Jarod turned and began walking toward the other entrance where he had parked his rental car.


Sydney stopped in from of both men and said calmly, "Mr. Broots, Sam please go to my home. I have planned a small lunch."


"Lunch! Good, I'm starving!" Broots said enthusiastically.


"Alright Doctor, we'll see you there." Sam replied quietly and began walking towards his car with Broots following close behind.


Immediately after, Sydney approached the tall woman and asked softly, "Are you ready to leave Miss Parker?"


Parker ignored Sydney's question, her eyes fixed on the tall figure walking away in the distance. After a long moment of silence she replied with irritation in her voice, "So what did curious George want?"


"Miss Parker, Please." Sydney reprimanded slightly. "Jarod has every right to be here...Angelo was his best friend since they were children...And so were you. Don't you remember?"


Parker removed her sunglasses and glared at the old man, but Sydney saw more surprise than anger in her eyes.


Finally when she spoke again, her voice was more subdued, "That was a million years ago Syd...Many things have happened and people change."


"Perhaps, but true friendship never dies." Sydney said with a small smile.


Once again Parker ignored her old friend's comment and began to walk towards her car with Sydney at her side.


After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, Sydney spoke again, "Well, at least I'm glad that Jarod has recovered nicely...The last time he called me, I could hardly recognize him."


"WHAT?" Parker growled and came to a sudden stop; her icy blue eyes piercing into him as she refaced her question. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU COULD NOT RECOGNIZE HIM?"


"I spoke to Jarod just before my trip to visit Michelle and Nicolas...Remember I told you that he was very sick." Sydney was perplexed by her reaction. He looked at the tall woman cautiously and continued, "Jarod's voice was completely changed. I think he had a real bad case of laryngitis due to the flu."


Parker became noticeably pale as flashes of the conversation between her and the mysterious caller that had saved her life invaded her thoughts. "This cannot be possible. This is like my worst nightmare." She murmured as she debated the possibility; her mind replaying every single word that was said during that telephone call with Dr. Bailey. "This didn't happen. Jarod would never play this kind of dirty trick on her." She was so lost in her thoughts that she was no longer listening to Sydney's rambling about Jarod's health and how he had refused his help.


"...and on top of that he also broke his toe in a stupid accident." Sydney added casually, but the phrase capture her attention in a flash.


"What did you say?" Parker asked with a shaky voice.


"I noticed that Jarod was limping a little." Sydney began. "...and when I asked him what had happened? Jarod told me that he accidentally hit the foot of the bed while he was talking on the phone and broke his toe."


After that phrase, Sydney's words fell on deaf ears once again. Parker was in shock. She felt like someone had punched her in the stomach. She closed her eyes and whished that she could make time go back as the realization hit her like a freight train. There was no doubt, Jarod was the mysterious caller. He had pretended to be this Dr. Bailey and she had trusted him blindly. But worse of all, she had divulged to him all her deepest secrets and feelings. Suddenly the shock of this revelation started to set in and Parker could feel the anger boiling in her veins.


"That lying Bastard." Parker murmured inwardly with indignation. "He is going to pay for this."


Abruptly, Parker moved away from Sydney and started walking back to the cemetery entrance, her eyes wildly searching in the direction Jarod had taken earlier, but the pretender was gone.


The old man just looked at the tall woman with confusion when she suddenly left him talking to himself. Hurriedly, Sydney walked towards Parker and asked with concern, "Parker, are you alright?...I thought we were leaving."


"WHERE IS HE?" Parker snarled, but she could feel the tears welling in her eyes.


"Where is who?" Sydney asked puzzled.


"JAROD OF COURSE!" Parker shouted angrily.


"He's gone...He went to get his car at the other entrance, but he is going to meet us at my home." Sydney said with dread. "I invited him to join us for lunch."


"Really?" Parker replied with anger flaring in her eyes.


"Parker, I hope this is not going to be a problem."


"Syd, why would you think that?" Parker said with a forced grin; her Ice Queen mask back in place.


"Because Jarod was a little apprehensive about joining us...He thought that you would not want him there." Sydney said softly.


"Don't worry Syd. That's not a problem...for me." Parker said dryly as she tucked her hand into Sydney's elbow and turned him toward the parking lot once more. "Let's go Syd. We wouldn't want to keep the others waiting."


"Alright Miss Parker." Sydney agreed with a nod, but his gut feeling told him that something was very wrong. Miss Parker was acting very strange. It was obvious that Jarod's appearance had shocked her, but why was she so angry? Earlier during the service, he had seen the sadness in her eyes and it broke his heart, but suddenly she had changed her demeanor. Once again, Parker had put on her Ice Queen mask to keep her emotions in check and push away anyone who tried to give her solace. Sydney sighed inwardly, but chose to remain quiet, thinking of the best way to help his young friends. Perhaps, Parker would find it helpful to talk to Jarod. They both were grieving for the loss of their friend and their connection could help them lessen the pain. After all, Parker, Jarod and Angelo were best friends during their early years at the Centre and no matter what others thought; he felt that their friendship had survived in spite of all the barriers they had faced along the way. Yes, this time he was going to be only an observer. Parker and Jarod would have to put their differences aside and help each other. Sydney felt confident in his decision and prayed that there was still a grain of hope left to end this senseless and evil game that had ruined both their lives.


TBC