Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
As always, this is co-authored by Jaccione and Onisius. Thanks for the reviews guys, yay.
“Don't get your panties in a knot." Lyle chuckled, heading for the door, giving Jarod a suggestive look. He wondered though if the rat would even know what to do if he was given the opportunity.

Taking a deep breath, Parker kept herself from killing the bastard as he walked out. When he was gone, Parker glared at Jarod. “I do not appreciate you refusing to do as I tell you. I don't care so much if it's just in front of Sydney, but not him." Parker snarled angrily at him

“I haven't refused anything yet." Jarod protested. He could imagine the power play that was going on between her and Lyle, and his not cooperating was not doing her position any good. Lyle would just be waiting in the wings for her to stumble, then he could assume complete control.

“No? What about all those SIM's? Refusing to do this without thinking it's a scheme, refusing to do as Lyle tells you when he is with you. I am getting sick of it Jarod, I really am. I am TELLING you are you going to do this and I expect nothing but the best from you."

“I agreed to look at what he has." Jarod told her defensively. If this was real, if the threat was there, of course he would help them.

“Agreeing to look is not what I am telling you to do Jarod. I am telling you to do it, regardless of what it is." Parker growled getting sick and tired of the same argument over and over again.

“Alright,” He agreed, more to placate her than anything else. If this was for real, which he still doubted, it also meant he was getting out of the Centre. Getting him back might prove more difficult than they hoped.

Parker straightened a little, hating this, very worried about the security, about not being allowed her sweepers to go, about Jarod escaping and not coming back.

"When?” He asked her, sitting back in the chair, swivelling it around to look out the window once again.

Parker grabbed the chair and turned him back to face her, “Look at me, not the windows." Parker barked angrily.

“Then do you mind please standing over there?” He asked her with a cheeky grin. "Come on Miss Parker, give me this at least.” He was out of the cell and he intended to make the best of it.

Parker couldn't resist the cheeky grin, though at the same time it infuriated her. It was just as bad as his crooked grin. Shaking her head, Parker let the chair go so he could look out the window. Clicking her fingers to the sweeper, Parker was handed the medical file and started to look over it.

"Everything is in order, more or less." Jarod said, gazing outside, waiting for the sweeper to back off before he tried to stand, wanting to approach the window.

“The heart scan? What did the doctor say about that? Is your heart ok?" Parker asked, the last thing she needed was Jarod's heart getting screwed up and getting an arrhythmia or something worse.

"He said there is a slight murmur, but if left alone, it will go back to normal, hopefully.” He replied, not caring about that right now. Risking standing up, he started to shuffle his way over to the window. “It looks like a very lovely day."

Aaron grabbed him tightly in the same place he had every other time, sure a bruise was there now. "Where do you think you are going?” He growled deeply.

"Back off, he can't go anywhere." Parker warned the sweeper, seeing him let Jarod go roughly and moved back to his post.

Grimacing in pain, he tried to get to his arm to rub it, and only managed it awkwardly with the cuffs on. He didn't stop though and when he got to the window he let his head rest against it for a moment, not saying anything. The glass was too thick to let any real warmth through and the sun was on the other side of the building now, which meant it was sometime after midday.

Parker watched him carefully, “Let's go." Parker ordered Jarod.

"Just a few moments more?” He turned his head to look at her. "Please Miss Parker, you don't know what it's like." He hated hearing the pleading that had crept into his voice. It was just seeing the daylight undid him just a little and forcibly reminded him of all the things he missed so desperately.

“Now!" Parker snapped, seeing the sweeper move over to Jarod and grabbed his arm again, hauling him towards the door. If nothing else, Parker hoped his time with OHS would teach him how to follow orders again.

Jarod sighed heavily as he was hauled away, all he had wanted was just a few moments, it wasn't that much to ask.

Parker led them out of the conference room and down to the lift. Parker knew the room was monitored, the whole place was and wanted Jarod alone to herself for a moment.

Remaining silent the whole time, Jarod followed her, still trying to decide if they were running a scam on him or not. At this moment in time, he didn’t really care. All he had wanted was a moment or two to enjoy the real light, the open spaces.

Getting down to the lobby, Parker led them down the halls until Parker found the exit door she wanted. Opening it, and walking out on the west side of the Centre and into one of the many biotracts, Parker looked at Jarod for his reaction.

Jarod could have fallen over he was so shocked. For a moment he just didn't believe that it was possible. When he felt the sun hit his body he stopped, sighed deeply, closing his eyes as he just luxuriated in it. It was such a precious gift to be out in the sun, it was something he tried not to torture himself with during the long hours of his captivity.

Parker looked at the sweeper and saw him shove Jarod away a little as he let him go. He stood close to Jarod still, but Parker knew Jarod wouldn't run, he couldn't, not chained how he was.

Opening his eyes after a long moment, he breathed deeply of the real air and smiled at Parker, a real smile. This was the first time since his capture that he had breathed anything but the recycled air of the Centre, which he always imagined tasted stale and dirty somehow. The sounds of nature flooded his ears as he revelled in it, so different from the soft mechanical hiss of the machinery that ran the underground levels. The barely audible electronic whine of the cameras, the sounds of locking doors, the air conditioning.

Nodding a little, Parker took Jarod's arm and walked him carefully over to the little stream and sat Jarod on the ground and slipped his canvas shoes off and rolled his pants up so Jarod could put his feet in the shallow, pebble bottom stream.

He had remained silent as she led him, surprised by her gentleness. When she was done, he smiled at her. “Thank you for this,” He whispered. He was not stupid enough to ask for her to take the cuffs and shackles off, and he certainly didn't want to push his luck. This was just too wonderful to risk spoiling. With nothing on him to pick the locks, and both Parker and the Sweeper so close, he knew there was no chance of making a break for it, so he pushed aside all the thoughts of escape, determined to just enjoy the moment.

“I needed you in an area where we are not monitored, and this is the only single place in the entire Centre that isn't being recorded." Parker told him, knowing her tower office, Lyle's tower office and a few offices lower down, hers and a few others weren't. Parker wondered if Jarod knew that and would call her on it, or just be happy he was out for a few minutes.

Jarod smiled at the lie and nodded gratefully.

"What do you think about OHS coming here?" Parker asked carefully. “Do you think he is telling the truth? That there is a threat?”

“I am not really sure what to think Miss Parker,” He said carefully, which was true enough. She seemed troubled and Jarod started to believe that this might be real after all. Parker was many things, but a good actress was not one of them.

“Neither do I. It must really be urgent for them to send an agent here, I thought they were one of the most secretive agencies there is."

"Even I haven’t managed to get into there before.” He admitted.

“That is a surprise. I thought you got into everything." Parker said, grabbing the file from the sweeper and handed it to Jarod. The sweeper had grabbed it on the way out after Parker had looked towards it.

He took it awkwardly, placing it down on the ground beside him. “Looks like he has been keeping a close eye on me.” He said, as he leafed through it. He was fairly surprised at how comprehensive it was, surprised and disturbed. If they had known about all of his activities, he wondered why they hadn’t stopped him, or sold him out to the Centre.

“There is information in there we didn't even know about, some of your pretends." Parker admitted.

"He seems to have covered most of everything." Jarod chuckled a little, not wanting her to see just how disturbed he was about this. He had been very careful and had assumed that nobody had ever joined the dots before on his activities. “Looks like they owe me some overtime.” He looked up at her, ignoring their current circumstances for the moment. The joke was rather lame though. Still, if he added up all the hours he was owed, it would amount to a considerable lot. He wondered briefly if anybody had ever claimed his pay checks, or if that money was still sitting there.

Parker shook her head, a smile on her lips. “I would have thought you would have used different names at least."

“I did sometimes,” he said, remembering some of those Pretends. He had gone in as a wide array of agents over the five years, from just about every government department that existed. The one thing he learnt quickly was that inter–departmental cooperation and communication was almost non–existent, which served him quite well.

“Idiot." Parker chuckled a little, looking out over the gardens.

"What?” He asked, closing the file. That part of his life was over now. If he ever did manage to get out of here again, he wouldn’t go back to the way things had been, he would disappear forever.

"Just didn't seem very smart to use the same name for more then one pretend."

"Smart enough to stay one step ahead of everyone,” He countered, although it was with a smile.

“Yes well, that was just a run of bad luck on our side." Parker defended herself.

“It is all ancient history now though." Jarod said softly, closing the file.

Parker didn't comment on that, “Do you think, that it is really as serious as he says? For them to come to us demanding you?"

Jarod nodded. If this was on the up, it would have had to have been. “I would think so for them to crawl out from under their rock and approach you so openly. These are very powerful people Miss Parker, very powerful." They were invisible too, which made them even more dangerous. Jarod had no doubt that if they wanted to, they could crush the Centre like a bug. Which begged the question why they allowed the Centre to continue.

“This has never been done before, loaning out projects out like this. I am worried about security and your treatment, and what they will expect you to do and how long they want you working." Parker hated herself for the concern and worry she was feeling, knowing better than feeling anything for the rat. It was dangerous to let herself get emotionally involved, she knew that and she told herself that her concern was professional.

“I suspect I will be safer there than here Miss Parker." Jarod said seriously.

"How? Lyle will be there with you, how do you think you will be safer?"

“If they are serious, and they want me working, they aren’t about to let a psychopath do too much damage are they?" Jarod reasoned with her. If they were who they said they were, then they would not be interested in letting Lyle have his fun just for the sake of it.

“If they want you working, but you won't work, then they will let him at you." Parker told him seriously.

“If it is what he says it is, of course I will help them." Jarod told her softly.

“That is going to ruin all Lyle's fun and games with you.” She seethed hatefully.

“It would be worth it just for that then wouldn't it?"

Parker chuckled a little at that, “Too bad I can't come and watch you infuriate him and Lyle not able to do anything back."

"Miss Parker, have you considered that if this really is legit, they are likely not to let him out either, not during an ongoing operation.” He couldn't help but smile at the thought of that when Lyle realised, by then though, it would be too late for him.

Parker's face broke out in a slow, cruel smile. "Give him a taste of your life. Maybe that will get him the hell off your back.” It wasn’t really going to be anything like Jarod’s life. But he would be locked down and not see outside for the week, and that was good enough for Parker to smile at.

Jarod didn't really know what was going to happen, but he didn't think they would be letting Lyle out and about during a critical operation, unless they kept him away from it altogether. Being stuck in a government building for a week was hardly a taste of his life. He didn't mention that though. "When are you seeing him again? What assurances do you have that he is really who he says he is?"

“Lyle is calling him and I told him to do background checks on him, OHS, and the project. If Broots gets on it, we should find enough information." Parker explained.

“Don’t be surprised if you don't find too much." Jarod warned her.

“I won't be, but Broots is damn good at his job."

"He better be," Jarod said softly. “Look Miss Parker, these people are very serious about their business, they will burn you to the ground if you fight them."

"Why do you think I am agreeing to this and letting you out? If the Triumvirate finds out about this, I am sure as dead and you would be back there faster then you can say pop tarts." Parker said, remembering Jarod's obsession with them. For once, couldn’t the genius have had an obsession with something healthy?

“Did you just make a funny?” He asked her, although this was not a funny topic, not at all.

“I wish I did Jarod, this is deadly serious. If they find out I have loaned you to a government agency, if they find out you're gone more than a week, if you run and they find out, I am dead, Lyle is dead, Sydney is dead."

“I am sure they have covered that contingency Miss Parker." Jarod tried to reassure her. “Although if we could edit that and just keep the Lyle is dead part, it would be win-win."

“Yes it would be. I would be happy to put up with the trouble if it was just Lyle, but it wouldn’t be, it would be me and him, plus Sydney because he is your handler." Parker sighed and threw a stone into the small creek. “There is so much that can go wrong with this. But what choice do I have?"

"Why did you really bring me out here Miss Parker? You know all this already." Jarod asked her gently.

“It’s been three months Jarod with nothing but darkness, damp, cold air, the only light and air artificial. I may be a bitch, but I know every once in a while you need the sun, the fresh air."

He smiled at her and nodded, sighing heavily. “Thank you." He watched his feet dangling in the water, the clinking of the chain between them obscured by the gentle sounds of running water and for a moment he could almost believe that they were out here on a picnic, perhaps sneaking away from work for an hour or two.

“This won't happen often Jarod, I can't afford to get caught doing this. Maybe once a month though, you can have an hour or so out here."

“And if I work?” He posed the question.

“Are you willing to do all SIM's we give to you? Keeping in mind that I will be keeping the absolute worst away.” Jarod had answered a question with a question last time this was brought up. Only fair Parker did it back to him.

Jarod kicked at the water in the little stream and wondered if he should just give in. fighting them was getting him nowhere, but doing what she wanted was just unconscionable. He might be able to gain the time to effect and escape by giving in now. If he didn’t, he knew there was a very real chance Africa would step in, or Lyle would be let off his leash completely.

"Well?" Parker asked with an arched eyebrow, "Will you?"

“I don't know,” He admitted honestly, not looking at her. He knew sooner or later push would come to shove and things would get more ugly than they already were. In his original game plan, he had anticipated being long gone by now. Despite her promises, sooner or later they would want him to do something he just couldn’t, and what then? He would eventually refuse and then it would get very bad.

"Well you need to start knowing. I want an answer now Jarod. Yes or no, will you work now? Without arguments unless it is really called for."

"How about we get this week over Miss Parker, then have this discussion?” He asked instead. Her definition and his on what might really be called for were most likely worlds apart.

“Fine," Parker snapped a little, folding her arms, knowing at the end of the week, he still probably wouldn’t work. "But if you do, then I think I can arrange something for maybe every week out."

“I am not trying to be difficult for the sake of being difficult Miss Parker." Jarod told her, wanting to try and make her understand.

“You're being difficult because this work goes against your moral and ethics." Parker nodded. She knew that, everyone knew that, but he was still being difficult.

He nodded in agreement. “I do not to wish to make this more difficult on you, or myself, do you think I enjoy this?"

"Oh well I don't know about that Jarod, you seem pretty pleased with yourself when you aggravate Lyle."

“That is different,” he admitted with a small smile.

Parker chuckled a little. “As much as Sydney must enjoy having you here, it must be hard on you both."

“I haven’t really spoken to him." Jarod admitted. They did their work, but nothing personal really had been said. Things were strained between them and Jarod was not motivated to try and straighten things out. He knew Sydney was doing his bit to try and help, he also knew that if it came to it, Sydney would be more than happy to pick up where they had left off. Jarod wasn’t really sure how he felt about that and didn’t want to examine those feelings too closely.

"Maybe you should." Parker whispered as she stood up, brushing her suit down.

“I can't." Jarod looked up at her, shaking his head.

"Why not?" Parker asked, looking down on him. “You have never in your life had troubles with speaking to him before.”

"Privacy for one and well... I guess it is just too hard."

“Too hard? For the almighty pretender? Now that is a first." Parker scoffed.

Jarod just shrugged, not sure she could ever understand. He wasn't sure he understood. There was such a history between them, one of silence and suppressed feelings that it was just too high to overcome.

"Maybe you should make the effort." Parker told him before looking at the sweeper, “Time to go back in."

Jarod didn't really see the point though at this stage. He got up a little awkwardly, his body sore and bruised, hampered severely by the shackles. “I will try.” He promised.

Picking up the file, Parker began to start walking back to the Centre. “You will be taken back to your room for some free time before I want a SIM done. I will inform Sydney. I will update you on this as soon as I know more."

“Yes Miss Parker," Jarod agreed looking down at his shoes, not moving yet.

Parker didn't stop, knowing the sweeper would get Jarod and hearing the little grunt from Jarod, she guessed the sweeper had him.

“Didn’t need those shoes,” he muttered as they sweeper started dragging him back forcefully.

"Shut it," Aaron snapped at him, catching them up to Miss Parker, Jarod almost having to run in short steps to stop himself from falling.

He had little choice but to shut it as he concentrated on not falling over as he was hauled along, his ankles bruising against the shackles with every step.

When Parker was at the door, she held it open waiting for Jarod and the sweeper. When they caught up, Jarod was panting a little. "Where are your shoes?" Parker asked in bemusement.

"Probably in the stream by now,” He said sourly.

“You will have more sent to your room." Parker walked in with them, “You can let his arm go now." Parker ordered once inside, seeing the sweeper let Jarod go. He was heavily restrained, he wasn’t going to run anywhere. The buffoon didn’t need to hold him every second.

Jarod stumbled a little and tried to straighten up, holding onto whatever shred of dignity he had left.

Walking to the main part of the lobby, ignoring the looks they got from the other people, seeing Jarod so high up. "Get him to his room, your shoes will be sent down, and Sydney will be there later for a SIM."

"Be careful with these people Miss Parker," Jarod warned her, not liking any of this at all.

Parker just nodded and headed for the Tower. If nothing else, Lyle should have spoken with the agent and he would be on his way back here. Calling Broots on her way to the lift, she waited for an answer.

"Broots," Broots said as he picked up the phone. The last thing he wanted to do was take this call. Whoever it was, it was going to go badly for him.

"Has Lyle called you on the information we need?" Parker asked, getting into the lift.

“Yes Miss Parker," Broots said in a hushed whisper, looking around furtively.

“And have you got it?" Parker demanded impatiently.

"Well yes and no Miss Parker." Broots said, his voice dropping even further.

"What do you mean no?" Parker snapped, no time for this.

"Well he uh, they... I can't beat their firewall.” He finally admitted.

"What do you mean you can't beat it? You’re meant to be the best at this."

"Well, uh, I mean, you should see it Miss Parker, makes my encryption keys look...“ He scratched his head. “It is really good.” He said, admiration and awe in his voice. Never before had he seen anything at this level and he wondered if he had what it took to beat it, given enough time. Already he had stolen some ideas to improve the network here and he just hoped Miss Parker would leave him alone to work them out.

“Do you need Jarod's help?" Parker offered, thinking they were screwed if Broots couldn’t get in.

“I don't think even he will. I, I ah, I can do it Miss Parker, but it will take time if you don't want a neon sign pointing right back at us that we are breaching their system." This was the government they were talking about and Broots didn’t want to spend the rest of his life in a federal prison sharing a cell with a big ugly hairy and sweaty man named Bubba.

"We don't have time. Jarod will be there soon, get him to help. I need this within two hours." Parker ordered, hanging up the phone.

“Two hours?" Broots said hopelessly to the dead phone. She might as well as him to jump to the moon.

Parker called the sweeper and ordered Jarod to the tech lab, that Broots would explain it. Getting into the Tower and walking into the conference room to see Lyle still there.

Byrnes had monitored their attempts to breach their security and had allowed just enough access for them to be convinced he was who he said he was. He had wanted to take Jarod last night but they had balked and so he had waiting until morning. Everything was set now to securely transport him and it was just a matter of taking him into their custody and ironing out the last details. He had a private meeting with Miss Parker organised first before they conferenced and he gave them a little more information.

Parker looked up as the door was knocked on, then he sweeper walked in with the agent. "Sit down." Parker ordered him, flicking over the file still they had on Jarod.

Byrnes sat and smiled at her. “I must compliment you on your Mr Broots."

Parker narrowed her eyes at him dangerously. He should not know who Broots was. “You keep your hands off of my techie." He was a bumbling idiot, but he was her idiot and no one went near him or his daughter.

“I have no desires to harm him Miss Parker, although I might consult with him if you don't mind. He penetrated our system more quickly and further than anyone ever has. I would like to pick his brain."

“You stay away from Broots." Parker warned darkly. “You go within a mile of him and you won't live to see the next day."

“I will pay you for his time of course." Byrnes said with a smile. She was indeed a suspicious woman and he suspected poor Mr Broots had far more to fear from her and Mr Lyle than he did from the OHS.

“You are pushing your luck. Do not go near him, that is your official warning." Parker growled darkly, dangerously, protectively.

"Very well then. I take it he uncovered enough for you to be convinced the wisdom of this arrangement?"

“I do not like this at all. I want your word we will have Jarod back at the end of a week."

“You have it,” He promised smoothly.

“If you need him again, then we can rearrange it. But at the end of one week, he will be back here. There will be no two ways about it.”

He nodded. “Agreed." There was very little chance he would be keeping that promise though. Considering the urgency of the matter, he didn’t feel the slightest bit guilty about it either.

"Good." Parker took a breath, trying not to tell him she didn't want this to happen. “Now for his security. Where will you be holding him?"

“I cannot reveal that location to you, but it will be in DC, so not all that far and I can reassure you he won't be leaving."

“I don't mean the location, I mean his accommodation." Parker really didn’t give a rat’s about the locations. All she cared about was he would be secure and safe.

"We have an entire level that is 100 percent secure, he will not leave that area until his return here. Within that area we have secure accommodations."

“I want it to be put down to half a wing, not a level."

“That is not possible Miss Parker, I give you my absolute personal guarantee that it is secure, and your Mr Lyle will be there to consult." That at least he didn’t have to lie about.

Taking a breath, “Fine. But I want it reorganised. Every room he goes into, everything is secure, tables and chairs welded to the ground, bars on the door, or a door that requires your handprint or eye scan. Whenever he is out of his sleeping room, I want him shackled." Jarod was a regular Houdini, if everything wasn’t 150 secure, he would get out.

"What?" Byrnes asked her in pure surprise, shaking his head. “I don't think you understand Miss Parker, when I say secure, I mean secure." Jarod was not a criminal, if anything he was a good guy, a rare thing these days and he didn’t want to treat him like a criminal. Security measures would be taken, that was essential, but he was damned if he was going to disrespect the man that would hopefully save their asses.

“And I don't think you quite understand how good of an escape artist he is. It is not too late for me to say no and make you wait a while longer. I just want to make sure it is really secured. If Jarod finds a paper clip, he will get out, if he finds a screw, he will get out. If there is something he can pick up and throw to get out, he will. This is his chance to run again, and he will do whatever possible to get out."

“And I assure you that will not happen. We have one of the most secure facilities in the world. There are no exits, except for the primary one, which is monitored extensively with bio–recognition sequences, and manned heavily. The vents are not large enough for a cat to fit through and have motion detectors in them. You can imagine the kind of target we pose and we have successfully held prisoners before, the kind we don't admit exist, if you get my meaning."

Parker listened slowly, thinking it sounded sufficient enough to hold some everyday criminal, but it wasn’t enough still, Parker didn’t believe to hold a genius pretender. “I want some of my sweepers there with him."

“That is absolutely out of the question Miss Parker.” He said, shaking his head. It was bad enough they had agreed to Lyle gaining any access.

"Why?" Parker demanded, not liking this in the first place, not having seen the security at all.

“I cannot allow our security to be breached like that. We have incredibly sensitive data in there. I had to fight to even allow Mr Lyle in."

“Then I want to come as well to have a quick look at his accommodations. I am not satisfied with this at all, I have no idea the lay out, the security, what the rooms are like, anything."

“I am afraid I cannot do that either Miss Parker. If you want to come, then you can, but I am afraid you will have to stay for the duration."

Parker rubbed at her face. "What do you expect me to do? Go on your word? That everything is secure and we will not lose our most important asset? That at the end of the week we will get him back?"

“I am afraid so.” He said, and pulled out a slip of paper. "Here is the receipt for a 20 million deposit as a show of our good faith, if you check your accounts, you will find it in there."

Parker took it and put it aside, taking a deep breath. “Do you know how hard this is for me to do? Do you have any idea of the consequences for me and others in this building if our 'bosses' find out we loaned him out? If he escapes? Do you know how many rules we are breaking to let you use him? Do you know how much this goes against our training?"

“Yes Miss Parker, I understand all of that and if it helps, we are monitoring the Africans, I will give you the heads up if there is trouble coming your way." That should have been enough to keep the Africans happy and off her back. More would follow and get her out of the red for now. They would also be monitoring the Zulus, just in case they decided to pay a surprise inspection.

Parker couldn’t believe he knew about them as well. “Is there anything you people don't know? Or are all of our secrets uncovered?" It was Jarod uncovering her little family secrets 10 fold.

“I am sure there are some we haven’t uncovered.” He smiled at her. “Do not worry though, we weren’t targeting you specifically, this is SOP."

"How much more do you know on Jarod and his family?" Parker asked carefully.

"Everything, except their current whereabouts.” He said slowly. The question caught him a little by surprise and he didn’t like that.

“Are you telling me the truth?" Parker demanded, "Because if you do, I want to know, for security, if Jarod does run, so we can get him back."

“I tell you what then.” He looked at her. "When this is done, as a... Thank you, I will provide you with what we have. And IF he escapes, I will provide you with everything immediately."

“No. I want the information, the current whereabouts of the boy and Jarod's father now, so we can monitor them and bring them in immediately if Jarod does something. Or better yet, his mother. If he comes back and stays here, then I forget about his family, they are no use to us." For people who knew everything already, Parker did not believe for a second they didn’t know where a few normal people were.

“That I am afraid I cannot do. As I just told you, we do not have that information.” He didn’t think for one second she had any intention of letting his family go, but said nothing.

“You are the OHS. You know about us, Jarod, Broots, what we do. You know about Africa, everyone of Jarod's pretends basically. And you except me to believe you don't know where four people are?" Parker scoffed in disbelief.

“You are a stationary target and consult for us on a regular basis. Jarod pops up on our database time and time again. The family however are deep underground and to be frank, we haven’t been bothered to pursue them, not a priority for us." Since they seemed to pose no threat to anything but themselves, the OHS had zero interest in them at all.

“Then pursue them for me. I want a location on any of his family by the end of the week. Emily would be the easiest, I want that information, for all of our troubles we are going to, what we are risking."

He rubbed his face as he thought about it. "How about, when this crisis is over, we help you out then. All of our resources are directed towards this right now, we cannot afford the distraction."

“You can afford a few people to track one member and find them for us, as a security option. With Jarod there, he will be doing work of about ten or more of your guys. You can spare a few to track someone down for us. You’re the all seeing, all feeling OHS, you should be able to find them."

“I will see Miss Parker.” He said, not making any promises. They were not a Missing Persons Bureau and certainly not to find innocent people in order to better manipulate Jarod.

“I am serious. We have a great chance of losing Jarod over this. To save your sorry arses, the least I want is the current location of one or more of his family members in case Jarod does run.”

“I said I will get on it and I will Miss Parker." He would not be bullied by her on this. Willing to grant her some concessions to ease the blow, but this was not going to be a negotiation.

"Good, I hope to see results within 5 or 6 days." Parker warned.

He just nodded rather than argue with her. “I assume you have informed Mr Lyle and Jarod?"

“They are ready to go. Jarod is in his room, ready for transport. I have one other request."

"What might that be?” He asked her.

"Whatever needs to be done, he is NEVER let outside. The only time he is outside is when you transport him, and he will be hooded."

"On that we can absolutely agree. We have no desire to let him know the whereabouts of our headquarters."

"Good. And I want to be able to contact Jarod and talk to him whenever I need to."

“That may not be possible either Miss Parker, although I will see what I can do for you."

"Or even call you and you can put Jarod on for me. His work, is it simulations?" Parker was stressing a great deal about this, about him, and hated herself for it.

He smiled at her attempt to get more information out of him. “Let us just say that he will be trying to piece together a puzzle and predict the outcome. And I will see what we can arrange."

“Is it simulations he is doing or data analysis?" Parker asked again. "Just tell if it is SIM's or not. I don't care what they involve."

“A bit of both I guess." Byrnes answered her, wondering what difference it made.

Parker nodded slowly. “Alright.” She agreed slowly, going against everything she felt, believing this was a bad idea.

"Why don't you come instead? If it would set your mind at ease.” He asked her.

"Because if I left the Centre for Lyle to run, there would be no point to bring Jarod back."

“I see.” He nodded, not bothering to hide his smile.

“If you are ready, and your men are ready, I will have Jarod brought up."

"We are.” He nodded, eager to get moving. The quicker they started, the happier he would be.

Parker nodded and called the sweeper to have Jarod brought up. Hanging the phone up, "He will be here soon."

“Any other concerns Miss Parker?" Byrnes asked helpfully.

Parker thought about it and sighed heavily, “No, I guess not, nothing that I can change anyway." Parker’s gut was telling her this was going to end very badly, and didn’t want this to go ahead.

“I know you are not happy about this Miss Parker, and I do apologise for that."

“As long as Jarod comes back at the end of the week, comes back and is locked in his room again, then I will get over it."

He smiled at that and tilted his head. “Fair enough.” He even felt a smidge guilty about misleading her about the week though.

Looking up as the door opened and Jarod was shoved in by the sweeper, Parker looked at the agent and took a deep breath. “Lyle will be waiting in the lobby.”

Jarod stumbled forward almost falling over and only just managed to right himself at the last moment. So this was really happening then? He still had some doubts about it, but it wasn't as if he had any choice to go or not. He had been awake half the night worried about what they were trying to pull, thinking about what Parker had said. Not knowing what to believe, the only thing he knew for certain was he was going to have no choice in whether he went or not. He still controlled though what he would do for them, what he was willing to SIM. No matter how elaborate this scheme was, if he didn’t trust it, he wasn’t going to do it.

Getting up, Parker walked around her desk to Jarod and looked at him. Taking a deep breath, “Do as they say Jarod, I don't want to hear of any arguments."

"Of course Miss Parker,” he said softly.

“I don't want you to go," Parker said softly, scared he wouldn’t be brought back and all hell would be paid.

“It will be fine Miss Parker," Jarod told her, never having seen her like this before. It made him feel uneasy. Either she was a much better actress than he gave her credit for, or this really was what they claimed it to be.

“I have a bad feeling about this," Parker whispered in his ear, something just wasn’t right. Parker couldn’t quite work it out, though she had been trying. But something was going on here and Parker didn’t know what, she didn’t like it at all.

“Don’t worry Miss Parker, it is going to be fine,” He told her.

“I don't think it will be." Parker shook her head, looking him in the eye, “I really don't think it will be fine."

“I will make sure it is fine,” He tried to reassure her.

Parker nodded slowly and moved back to her desk. Opening a draw, Parker pulled out the photo Jarod had of his mother, the one Sydney had given him. Walking back to him, Parker placed it in his hands.

He took it, looking down at it in surprise. They hadn't let him keep anything personal after they had caught him. "Miss Parker?” He looked up at her, puzzled.

“I don't think this is a good idea Jarod, something is going to happen, I can feel it." Parker whispered, not wanting the agent to overhear them. “And if it does, I want you to have that with you. If something happened to me, I would want a photo of mom with me."

“Thank you,” He whispered sincerely, reaching out with his cuffed hands to take one of hers, half expecting her to snatch it away. “There is nothing to fear."

Parker gave his hand a squeeze before pulling back. “I hope not, I don't want to die yet." Parker joked lamely.

"Me neither.” He agreed, touched by her concern and her gift.

Taking a deep breath, Parker reached her hand out as the sweeper handed her the black hood. Looking at it in her hands for a long time, Parker finally looked up to Jarod. “It’s time to go."

When Jarod saw it, his heart rate went through the roof and he started to back up, shaking his head. Instantly he was assaulted with a powerful flashback and almost overwhelmed by unreasoning fear.

For a man in cuffs and shackles, who didn't seem to be too perturbed by them, this was an unusually strong response and Byrnes guessed there was some history there. So far as he knew, Jarod had been held captive by these people nearly his entire life and he guessed he was used to being restricted and restrained. The hood however seemed to terrify him and it looked suspiciously like a phobic reaction.

“You can go ten rounds with the jumper cables, let yourself get beaten, and you're going to fight me on the hood?" Parker asked, a little amused, though knew he was terrified of it. He always had been.

"Jarod, I am sorry, but this is absolutely necessary." Byrnes stood up. “You will not be harmed, but we cannot have you knowing our location.” He tried to soothe him, make him see reason. This wasn’t a petty torment, it was a necessity.

Parker grabbed Jarod's hand to stop him from backing up further, looking at him, "Jarod, just calm down. Do you want me to call Sydney up?" Parker offered gently.