Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All characters and events in this story are fictitious, and any similarity to a real person, living or dead, is entirely coincidental and unintended by the author. "The Pretender" is a protected trademark of MTM Television and NBC .



Chapter 1

San Francisco Police Station....
Parker woke up with a killer headache. The voice murmuring away.
" Now you warn me." she snapped at them." You couldn't tell me about this…uh some odd…" she looked down at her watch. She realized that her hands were handcuffed to the chair. So were her feet.
" Jarod!" she screamed. Making her headache worse. The voices kept telling her to calm down. That there was no danger.
" Shut up, shut up, shut up." she growled.
She looked at her surroundings. It looked like an interrogation room. " What the.."

" I think you better go talk to her before she gets more mad." Jarod's partner warned.
" Oh. She hasn't even started to get mad. You'll know when she's mad." Jarod said with a chuckle.
" Well go." his partner said again.
" I haven't talked to her in months." Jarod said sadly
" I think she'd much rather talk about her present situation than a non-calling boyfriend." he said
" I'm not her…." Jarod's protest was cut short by another scream of his name from the interrogation room.
" This is not going to go well." Jarod said then opened the door to the room.
" You shouldn't talk to yourself Parker, people might think you are crazy."
" Crazy!" she scoffed. "I could just…"
" I knew you wouldn't come willingly, so I…. said
" Kidnapped me!" she tried to calm down. " What is so important?. What do you want? " she asked
" I need your help to solve a couple of murders." he said then threw a couple of pictures on the table.
She sighed heavily. She didn't have the stomach to argue with him. Her best was to go along with it. And hope that it'll be over soon.
" Oh, just a couple. You mind taking these things off ?" she gestured at the handcuffs on her hands and feet.
" Sorry." he hurriedly took them off.
" Why do you need my help"
" Well with you new burgeoning ability..."
" Wow, you see a couple of things in the future and suddenly everyone's your friend." she rolled her eyes.
She leaned over, took a glance at the pictures then turned away. Pictures of murdered girls, contorted, their skins marred with symbols.
" Who is doing this." she asked
" That's what I need your help with. I would try to go deeper into the pretend but I don't think we have much time. There is a pattern in his killings. He strikes every 8 months and usually in the daylight."
" He likes the feeling of being watched. He should move to the Center." Parker said
" He likes to play with the girls. He lets them go in the forest then chases them. Their foot prints are all over the place." Jarod showed the prints.
" The thrill of the hunt."
" Something we're all too familiar with." Jarod said quietly but Parker heard him.
" So what do you want me to do. I don't exactly want to be publicising this ability. Next thing you know the government will have me somewhere being disected.And what makes you think I'll do it." Parker asked.
"I want you to use your inner sense. Try to get a reading off the pictures. Maybe you can see the killers face."
" Jarod I don't .…"Parker hesitated
" Please Parker. Before he strikes again."
" How do you know about my premonitions. We haven't heard from you in months. And then suddenly you show up and ask for a favor ?" she asked
He smiled at her. "You missed me..... Besides you know I can find out about anything. I know about everyone. All your daily routines.
"I think that's called stalking…. And this favor. You think I'm going to do this for you...what...Out of the goodness of my heart." she said
" Parker. Whoever the next girl is needs your help. Their life..."
" That's not fair Jarod. I'm not God. I can't make things happen. I'm not even in control of my own life." she got up and walked around. " What if the premonition thing doesn't work. What if I see nothing, what if I can't hear anything."
" Why wouldn't your inner sense work." he asked.
" Why didn't it tell me that I was going to be kidnapped tonight? Huh? I mean I don't know everything. Hell, I don't know, how or why I have this ability. The PTBs only let me in on what they want me to know."
" Just try Parker. Please." he begged.
" Don't beg Jarod that only works on you little bleeding heart girlfriends. Speaking of them, there was a rumor that you got hitched."
" Nah. I didn't get married. It just wasn't right to ask Zoe to run all over the world with me. It's dangerous in our line of work ." he smiled sadly
"Sorry." she sighed. " I was hoping that at least one of us would break free and have that normal life we always dreamed of."
" Please. You just wanted me gone so you wouldn't have to work." he joked.
" You're right. I am getting too old for this. I'm going to be dying soon." she said sadly.
Jarod looked at her for a second. " What's wrong?' he asked.
" Everything is perfect. Let's do this so I can go home." she looked around. "Where are we?" she asked
"San Francisco." Jarod said.
" Ok. So I'm going to need a plane to get home. No use dragging this out. Let's do this."
Jarod let out a sigh of relief. He knew she would help them.

Earlier……

" How are you?" Sydney asked Ms. Parker
" I'm alive." she said not exactly excited
"And your inner sense?"
" The voices have died down a little. But the premonitions have become more frequent." she said
" Maybe you're evolving in your ability."
" And maybe I'm going to go crazy in the next day or so. I can't believe it's already growing. It's not as if I've been using it."
" You've had it since you were born Parker."
" Well...... I'm just realizing it now." she said
" Well it's been pent up for years. So maybe you're just going to experience everything that you couldn't before, then it'll slow down or it'll decrease in its ….I don't know." he ended in a sigh.
" So. I'm going to go through a whole thirty something or so years in about what a week? a month?"
" I don't know Parker." Sydney responded.
" You're slacking Freud. You're supposed to know everything." she smiled.
Parker got up to get a drink.
" So I hear you're quite popular with the sweepers now."
" You save a couple of them and they think you like them." Parker sighed.
" You premonitions are being put to good use. I heard you saved at least five of them from a car bomb yesterday." Sydney praised her.
" All I did was tell them not to get in the car. I had a premonition." Parker rolled her eyes.
" Well, you saved their lives…. I'm very proud of you." he smiled. He could have sworn he saw her blush.

" Sydney." Parker called as he left. He turned around
" Have you heard anything from Jarod?" she asked
" No. Nothing. I hope he's alright, wherever he is." he said sadly
" I'm sure he's fine. He's having so much fun that he's forgetting to rub our noses in it." Parker said
" Yeah. That must be the reason." he smiled.
Lyle burst into the office.
" We've got a sighting on Jarod. Planes leaving." he said quickly Parker and Sydney hurried out, following behind as Lyle filled them in on Jarod's supposed whereabouts.






Chapter End Notes:
Review Please