Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

While I’m waiting for my muse to come back from vacation so that she can finish the last 2 chapters or so of a winter’s tale, I decided to indulge in playing around again in this ‘verse.

;-D Hey, it’s my fantasy and as such….

Not betaed, so all mistakes are mine.


 

Behind door number 4…

Miss Parker ignored the other two as she stepped towards the area that had obviously been set out for her. A deep, plush couch sat invitingly in the corner of the warehouse. Spread out on the table in front of it was the first 20 books of – yes, she wasn’t mistaken – the Hardy boys Case files. Classics, all of them. And serious collectors items. Also, a secret obsession she had been hiding from her coworkers.

She glanced back at the other two and satisfied that they weren’t paying attention, she stepped towards the coach with its prize. She took another furtive glance sideways to make sure that her coworkers were still not paying attention before she grabbed a book from the pile. Sinking down on the couch, she pulled her legs up and leaned back as she opened the first book.

0oooo0

Sydney smiled wistfully as he took in the music collection his prodigy had left him, including the old gramophone. He had no doubt that Jarod had spent a large amount of tender loving care and time to gather the collection. The Pretender had even managed to rig an earphone contraption for him to listen in private and without disturbing the others. Choosing one of the numerous titles available, he guided the needle unto the vinyl record, sinking back in a leather back chair as he closed his eyes and listened with silent wonder.

0oooo0

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Broots could hardly contain his excitement. A huge goofy grin centered on his face, his eyes alight as he took in the new electronic gadgets set out in front of him. His fingers tingled as he tried to find a way to choose what toy he wanted to play with first. He felt like a kid in a candy store – far too many choices that left him undecided on where to begin.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

Finally with some effort, he calmed himself enough to make a decision, his hands already eagerly stretching out towards the chosen gadget as all thoughts of catching Jarod as well as the present whereabouts of his coworkers fled from his mind.

**************

Jarod tried his best to ignore Argyle’s incessant advice on how to approach the depot and all the different techniques - he as Argyle – had learned in his private eye days. Never mind that the period when Argyle had pretended to be a private investigator had been a very short lived experience. And a cold one for that matter. Never mind a painful one for himself as every other man he met wanted to put a fist through his face for the little indiscretions Dick Dickson had managed to perform along the way. Jarod silently wondered whatever had happened to Mona; the love of Argyle’s life. Just then Argyle grunted and tugged at his pants. Jarod turned in amazement as Argyle produced the smallest handgun he could possibly have acquired. Argyle’s hand engulfed the piece and Jarod had no doubt he was staring at the diminutive Baby Browning.

“Argyle, where did you get the gun?” he asked as he took the Lilliputian device form Argyle’s hand.

“It’s to protect myself, J-man. I’ve always had it…” he trailed to silence at Jarod’s disbelieving look. “That’s wrong, man. I’m not lying. Would I ever lie to a good buddy of mine, which you are, J-man. You’re like my best friend, my best buddy, my uhm…my homey. Okay, not homey but you get my meaning. What about a little trust between friends.”

“Argyle, you won’t need it. Why don’t I hold it for safe keeping, just in case you might lose it?” Jarod said with a straight face, ignoring as best he could the look of disappointment on Argyle’s features as he pocketed the gun. He barely felt the weight of the gun in his jacket as he turned back to watch the depot for any sign of life.

A few minutes later he decided to go down the embankment he and Argyle had been lying on. Uncharacteristically, Argyle kept a blissful silence as they descended towards one wall. Jarod leaned around the corner, making sure everything was quiet as it had been for the last ten minutes before rounding the corner and making his way towards the door.

“J-man?”

He cringed as the loud whisper filled the area around him, seemingly echoing slightly a few seconds later. He turned and gave Argyle an irate glare, one he hoped to shut him up.

“Do you think Dog will know we’re close?”

Jarod gave a small sigh, reminding himself that he was dealing with Argyle and that normal rules did not apply.

“Yes, Argyle. I’m sure Dog will be able to smell us coming. Now be quiet or we’ll alert the bad guys that we’re here.”

Argyle nodded, silently bringing a finger to his mouth. Jarod had to physically stop himself from rolling his eyes before turning back to slowly open the door. He slipped in with Argyle right behind him as they hid behind stacked crates set out beside the door.

0oooo0

“I’m telling you man, they shouda have been here by now. Maybe we should call the boss and let him know.”

“No, Ace. The boss is already angry at us. You know how he gets. I don’t want him angrier at me. He might just decide to kill me to prove a point.”

“Oh, you’re right, Jimmy. I didn’t think of that. Sorry, man. Maybe we should go wait outside, that way if they see us, we can have the meeting, get the stones and give them the dog. We’re gonna give them the dog back, right?”

“Yup. We might be killers but we’re no dog killers. There’s rules, man.”

Jimmy nodded in agreement as he patted Dog absentmindedly before giving him a small tidbit. Dog devoured it expertly before looking at Jimmy with hopeful eyes for more.

0oooo0

“I see Dog, Jarod.” Argyle whispered. Tears started to film as Argyle excitedly pointed to where Dog sat on a crate besides one of the men that either had to be Jimmy or Ace. He was about to put his fingers in his mouth to whistle when Jarod stopped him.

“Remember why we are here, Argyle,” he implored sternly, albeit quietly as to not alert the other two men of their position. Argyle nodded vigorously, his eyes straying between Jarod and Dog.

“Now what, J-man?”

Argyle looked at Jarod with excited eyes, almost jumping up and down in what can only be described as a hyperactive fit.

“We follow my plan, Argyle. You do remember the plan, don’t you?”

Another vigorous nod followed his question. Jarod could only pray that Argyle did in fact remember his plan. Not that everything hinged on Argyle’s performance heaven forbid. He had contingency plans for that.

“Okay Argyle, time for you to do your thing.

He stepped back as Argyle sauntered away from their hiding place and into view of the two inept dog-nappers.

**************

Miss Parker blinked, forcing the lone tear that had threatened to erupt to settle back in place before it could escape. It wouldn’t do for the others to see she had been crying over a stupid book. Why did Iola have to die in any case? Poor Joe. She had no idea how he had managed to survive the whole episode.

She sighed as she put down the last of the books. She felt strangely at peace. She frowned, wondering again what Jarod’s game plan was. She was aware that time had passed while she had read and her stomach growled quietly, letting her know that it’s been a while since she had last eaten. Glancing at her watch, her eyes widened in surprise. It was now eight in the morning and she had just spent the better part of six hours reading books that no self-respecting adult should be seen with. Not that she cared but just in case, she glanced around her just to make sure her co-workers weren’t around to bear witness to this potentially embarrassing diversion..

Stretching slowly, she rose and made her way across to where Sydney sat, seeming to be fast asleep. She could faintly hear the sound of music emanating from his earphones. For a moment she just stood in front of her oldest friend, contemplating his features. The worry lines have dimmed and he looked at peace. Somehow she wondered if her features emulate those of Sydney’s. Giving in to another small sigh, she stretched out and lightly touched Sydney on his shoulder.

The psychiatrist was startled, staring up at her with confusion before settling on his surroundings. He seemed to have realized where he was as he gave a small sigh, unknowingly copying her earlier behavior as he removed the headphones and turned off the gramophone.

“Sorry, Syd. But it’s time to find a way out of here.”

He nodded in agreement, though they both felt a melancholy mood set in as they started towards Broots.

Broots’ emotions were easier to read. The obvious disappointment was very much evident on his features as he reluctantly let go. A kicked puppy couldn’t outdo his body language and Miss Parker had to force herself not to give in to the tech’s begging for some more play time.

Determined, but mindful of what Jarod’s possible intentions were, she walked out the adjacent door.

**************





Chapter End Notes:

Hehehehe, hope it’s still on standard. Throw me a review and let me know what you think.