Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

;-D


Behind door number 3…



Jarod touched the door tentatively. It creaked reluctantly, as if to say that even though the setting expected it of him, it didn’t mean that he would like it. The door opened to reveal the only room in the house. Whatever Argyle had done to clean up had not worked. Remembering the first encounter he had had with the man, he wasn’t surprised. This looked only slightly better. A bed had been shoved against one wall. The bedding that covered the mattress must have seen light at one stage and Jarod wondered whether that had been fifty years ago. Off to one side was a gas stove. The one pot that still stood there smelled of old grease and fried egg. Careful to keep his facial expressions neutral, he only half listened to Argyle explaining the virtues of his new home and what he had planned for the future. He took an unwilling step inwards, not yet ready to give in to the fact that he might have to spend the night here. His foot crunched on something and he looked down.

He had stepped onto a piece of paper that must have been shoved under the door. Curious now, ignoring the babbling Argyle, he picked it up. It didn’t smell all that bright and only added to the lingering smell that was Argyle’s home. He took it gingerly by his finger and thumb, holding it as far away from him as possible while trying to read what was written on it.

We have your dog Dog and we want

Jarod tried to read but a few oil splotches made by a finger had wiped out the rest of the wording. Frowning, he brought the paper closer, squinting in an effort to make out the rest of the words.

Well phone tonite tonigt tonight at the payfone

It was evident that the writer is grammatically challenged. It probably didn’t help that he failed to indicate when ‘tonight’ would be. Jarod sighed, trying not to breathe through his nose as the accumulated smell of Dog, Argyle and the rest of the house assaulted his senses. The dognappers were clearly not professionals. He wondered how they had managed to grab Dog without being seen and heard, but then again, he had also learned that with Argyle the impossible became highly likely.

“Argyle,” he interrupted the other, which was just explaining what color scheme he was proposing for the house, “where’s the pay phone?”

“You want to phone your lady friend?”

Jarod smiled, wondering what Miss Parker would say if she ever heard how Argyle described her.

“No, you have received a note,” he said, waving the said object in the air, away from his body and more importantly, his overwhelmed nose, “They want us to wait by the phone booth for further instructions.”

“See J-man, I told ya. Argyle, I said, Dog is dog-napped and Jarod will believe you, see they sent a note, J-man. What do they want, cause I don’t know if I’ll be able to pay, seeing that you gave all my money from Brigitte to the SPCA. Do you think if I ask nicely and explain the money’s for Dog, they’ll let me have it back?”

“The pay phone,” Jarod asked, taking a step outside and taking a deep breath of the cooling night air.

“Oh, right. It’s by the corner, J-man. So, we’re going to be partners again. We make good PI’s. Remember how we solved the last case. This time it’s personal, closer to home. Why do you think they took Dog? Maybe I know something important and they want to know what it is or maybe I won the lottery and don’t know it or maybe,” Argyle continued while the made their way towards where the phone was situated. Jarod was relieved when the ringing phone interrupted Argyle’s jumbled thought processes.

He answered, waiting for the person on the other side to speak.

“Is…is anyone there,” came the tentative question. Jarod could here some murmuring in the background, followed by a loud whisper that it is the correct number and Jimmy – he guessed it had to be they guy who had asked the question - should continue. He decided to end their misery and instead questioned, “Are you by any chance looking for Argyle?”

The voice sounded immensely relieved. “Uh, yeah, we’re looking for Argyle. Put him on.”

“Jimmy, I’m Argyle’s spoke man. Tell me your demands,” Jarod grinned, hearing the frantic whispers on the other side.

“He knows my name. How does he know my name, Ace?”

“Just shut up, what’s he asking?”

“Don’t know too many fancy words. Do you think Argyle got a lawyer?”


A sigh followed and Jarod could hear the silence on the other side as the duo decided how to proceed with the matter. He heard some more whispering, too faint to hear and then Jimmy’s voice came back, very uncertain.

“Uh, right. Say that again.”

Jarod decided to play nice. He needed to wrap this up and quickly. He still had time to make it back for his final triumph.

“What do you want us to do to get Dog back?”

“Yeah, we’ve got that stupid mutt,” Silence again and then whispers. Jarod closed his eyes, leaning against the glass of the booth. If only they were negligibly competent.

“We want the dog food.”

Jarod’s mouth gaped open and he closed it with a snap. He had never before in his life heard of the demand for dog food in exchange for the abductee or well, dogtee.

“You want the dog food,” he asked, just to make sure he had heard correctly.

“Yeah, we want the dog food. Are you deaf or something,” Jimmy asked more confidently.

“Where do you want to meet?

“At the old depot down by the station. Tomorrow at noon.”

Jarod put the phone back on the hook and turned to where Argyle was waiting impatiently.

“So, what did they want J-man?”

“Where did you store the dog food that Dog got?”

“Oh, by the shed. But there were too many bags and so I had to put some of them in the cellar. Why?”

Jarod stared at the sky, wondering what he had done to deserve this. He was clueless as to why Jimmy and Ace wanted the dog food. The only possible solution he could come up with was that something had been hidden in the food that was of value to whoever it was that stood behind the two inept kidnappers. No, correct that, dognappers.

“Show me,” he said, leading the way back towards Argyle’s home.

The food in the shed had all been opened. Jarod’s boots crunched over the dog pellets that lay strewn across the floor. Almost all the bags had been sliced open and judging by the gashes, angrily. Argyle was upset.

“People have no respect anymore, J-man. How could they do this? This is Dog’s food. His chow. His hard earned…eh,” Argyle stopped, thinking and then decided that no other word would fit, “earnings. This is not right, Jarod. It’s just not right.”

“I know,” Jarod consoled, “Where’s the cellar?”

Jarod and Argyle made their way towards the back of the house. Argyle pushed the storm doors open and leads the way into the darkness. A match was struck and flared when Argyle pushed it into a storm lantern. Jarod looked around. It wasn’t much. Basically just a hole in the ground with a few bags of dog food stuck in one corner.

“Argyle, can I open them,” he asked, knowing that the other was still upset about the shed.

“Yeah, J-man. Just remember that it’s Dog’s. If you’re hungry, I can make us something to eat although I think I only have egg.”

Jarod thought about the smell upstairs, the unwashed pot and Argyle’s attempt at cooking.

He politely declined the offer.

He was nearly to the last bag when he found what he had expected. Something of worth. Something that the dognappers’ boss never thought Argyle would have the guile to expect.

In between the dog pellets lay the shiny rocks. Diamonds.

“Wow. Can I touch them,” Argyle asked breathlessly, his hand already drifting downwards.

Jarod gave him one, while he separated the diamonds from the dog pellets. When he was finished he had around fifty one carat stones laid out on a small piece of cloth Argyle had fished out of somewhere.

“Why did they put the diamonds in the dog food, J-man? I mean, didn’t they think that the food is going to be sold and what will they do then,” Argyle was silent for a few seconds while his brain caught up with his mouth. “Oh, wait. I see. That’s why they took Dog. They want the diamonds and … and what then, J-man. Do you think Dog is still, you know…alive,” with this Argyle nearly sniffled.

Jarod carefully folded the cloth closed. He gave Argyle a smile and patted him on the back. “Argyle, Dog is still alive. They need him, remember. Don’t worry, we’ll sort this out and you’ll be back together again tomorrow.”

Argyle looked with such hope in his eyes at Jarod. “Really.”

Jarod nodded. Argyle smiled and as they made their way back towards the house and egg a la Argyle for supper, Jarod could only hope that what he had said was true. But then again. It was Argyle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Well, hallo there little ones. Oh, wait. You’re not so little anymore. Are you the three stooges? No, well ok.” Jarod smiled, wrinkled his nose before lifting a paw and pointing it at the screen. “If you want the combination lock you will have to go a-hunting. Yes, it is an Easter egg hunt. Somewhere within this store of goodies there is five eggs hidden. Find them, and more importantly, eat them and you will find the key to opening the door to paradise,” Jarod waved, wiggled his eyebrows and said his last parting words.

“Have fun now.”

“I will rip that bunny ears from him and make him eat them. With his nose,” Miss Parker snarled, eyeing the monitor and a grinning Jarod in a bunny costume. “Why me,” she lamented, before turning to Sydney and Broots. The sweet smell of candy had her nauseous already. Now she had to search the room for the eggs.

“Broots, tell me again how we ended up in this hell hole,” she smiled dangerously at the balding tech.

“Miss Parker,” Sydney admonished.

“What,” she nearly screamed, “it’s his fault that we’re in Jarod’s sick little game.”

“This will not help us in any way finish the task. Mistakes were made by all of us.”

Miss Parker paced the floor. She stopped and glared at the psychiatrist. Sydney was not intimidated, instead waited for her to question.

“Why is the lab rat doing this? What is his motive, Syd or has he finally gone bonkers.”

Sydney pushed his hand under his chin, meeting her gaze unflinchingly while Broots just looked on. “No, I don’t think Jarod is insane. There is method to this madness, Parker. What we need to do is finish the task he has given us.”

Miss Parker laughed. “Really, so were supposed to go hunt for eggs like we’re school kids. So whose insane now, Syd?”

Sydney hid his smile behind his hand, while gazing at Miss Parker with a knowing look. He knew why she was so upset. What Jarod was doing was reminding her too much of their childhood together. He indicated to Broots and the moved away from the still fuming brunette.

“Sydney, I’m sorry,” Broots whispered, making sure Parker was not behind him.

“It’s all right, Broots. She just needs a little space to adjust.”

Broots searched and explained in excitement when he found one of the eggs hidden away in a Popsicle stand.

“Look, Sydney, Miss Parker, I found one,” he grinned and said without thinking, “This is fun.”

The look that Miss Parker threw him would have killed him outright if that was possible. Luckily for him, that was not the case and he quietly disappeared behind a soft serve ice-cream machine, hoping that she had no bullets left in her gun while still clutching the egg.

It took them four hours before they were able to collect all the eggs. Broots and Sydney were smiling, clutching the eggs in their hands while Miss Parker glared at them. She had found only one, her mind occupied by a previous time when she had explained to Jarod the concept of Easter and the search for eggs.

She was suddenly tired and not in the mood to play anymore. She gave her egg to Broots silently. Broots frowned before he remembered what Jarod had said.

“Did he really mean we should eat it,” he asked Sydney while trying to keep out of the brunette’s way.

“I don’t think he really meant it, Broots,” Sydney smiled, “Let’s just break them open and see if we can find them.”

Five minutes later they keyed the combination in. It didn’t work.

“Just peachy. First wonder boy gives us these ridiculous tasks to do and then his answers don’t work.”

The screen flickered to life and Jarod leaned forward and wiggled his nose. “You didn’t eat the chocolate because if you did you would not be here anymore.”

Miss Parker eyed her gun, the screen and the chocolate. She lined up her pistol’s sights, eyeing for Jarod’s nose.

“That’s not nice, Miss Parker. How many bullets do you have left?”

She swore loudly, ignoring the looks she received from the other two. She smiled dangerously. “Fine Jarod. I’ll play. But know this, when I get out of here I will drag your bunny-ass back to the Centre.”

Sydney was worried. He had never heard her this determined before. His ward had obviously managed to push a few buttons and it was all the wrong ones that angered his nemesis. He watched as she grabbed the broken eggs, and giving most of it to Broots. He got one egg while she took one.

“Eat,” she commanded. With his fourth bite Sydney found something hard between his teeth. It was another key with a number on it. It wasn’t long before they had all the pieces. This time when the entered the key the door opened.

When Jarod had said paradise he had not meant it as an expression. He had meant it literally.

--------------------------

Ok, a bit more serious, but still light hearted. I think. Let me know.