Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Although the characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Center, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and they were used without permission, the character ‘Isabel’ belongs to me. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended, so don’t sue!




The Prophecy
part 9
by Amelia





“I’ve never seen so many different types of green in my life!” Isabel said, looking through the window of the car, her eyes trying to register everything that passed them by. “Can I open the window?” She questioned, facing Parker. She just nodded, keeping her eyes on the road. Isabel peered outside as soon as the window was all the way down and laughed, feeling the wind brushing through her long dark hair. “This is amazing!” Isabel yelled over the noise. Parker smiled amused. Seconds later her cell started to ring.

“What?” She answered annoyed, knowing exactly who it was.

“What’s she doing out of the window? I though you were going to keep an eye on her.”

“Jarod…” Parker sighed frustrated. “Do me a favor, no…do us all a favor and stop being such a pain in the ass! The kid is just having some fun! You talk like you’ve never done this before.” She pointed out, slyly.

“We’re doing 80 on a freeway, Isabel has no seatbelt on and she’s leaning out of the window! The last thing we need is to have the cops after us!” Jarod retorted.

“You’re doing 80 on the freeway…I’m just trying to keep up with you.” She bit back mockingly. Jarod instantly slowed down and Parker chuckled over the phone. “You really are pitiful.”

“Get Isabel inside the car, Parker.” He practically demanded.

Alright!” Parker spat, feeling her headache returning. “Where are we going?”

“We need to stop somewhere to eat…say, the next gas station?”

“Fine!” She then hung up still annoyed. ‘How on Earth did I let myself involve in such a mess?’ She wondered, releasing a sigh. There she was, driving along the freeway, heading to God knows where, running from the Centre with Jarod’s female version, not to mention with Jarod himself…oh boy, her life couldn’t get lower than that! “Isabel, you have to sit down and put the seatbelt on. ” Parker warned, keeping her eyes on the road.

“Can I leave the window open?” Isabel asked, sitting down properly.

“Well, it’s not exactly summer, but if you want…” Isabel smiled at her.

“You’re nice.” She said with shining eyes. Parker snickered.

“No I’m not…I’m just tired and hungry.” Parker said with a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips. Isabel stared at her with a mist of fascination and confusion. “What?” Parker asked after a moment of silence, feeling the girl’s eyes opening a hole on the side of her head.

“It’s so confusing.” Isabel uttered, still staring at her.

“Tell me about it! I’ve been trying to figure out who you are and what the hell you were doing down on SL-22 locked away from the world!” Parker blurred out, stealing a side-glance at Isabel. The girl sighed, trying to find a way to explain everything.

“It’s very complicated to explain what I am.” She started.

“Try me.” Parker interrupted sarcastically.

“Well, I’m a hybrid…not a clone, not your usual human being either…just a hybrid.” Isabel said, sorrow dripping from every word.

“And what exactly is a hybrid?” Parker inquired feeling sick all of a sudden.

“You want the shorter version? A biological hybrid it’s an improved being that is a mixture of two very different things.” Isabel stated quietly. Parker stared at her completely shocked. “Of course though, in my case, it’s much more complicated than that.” Isabel continued, ignoring the look of utter horror in Miss Parker’s face.

“Complicated…how?” Parker didn’t even recognize her own voice.

“Well, when you deal with human beings, instead of plants and other animals like you were supposed to, things tend to get a bit more complicated. They didn’t use two different things to…produce me.” Parker heard Isabel’s voice tremble with commotion. “They mixed different chains of human DNA…and they didn’t just use two…they recombine several.” She muttered slyly. Miss Parker kept her eyes on the road, but her mind was in autopilot.

“How many chains did they recombine?” Parker whispered, for she was having difficulties in assimilating everything Isabel was saying.

“Eight…they recombine eight different strings of human DNA.”

“Oh. My. God…” Parker gasped.

-*-*-*-*

“Sir, they were here, but they left at least an hour ago.” One of the sweepers informed. Dr. Price swore loudly. They were in the middle of a now abandoned warehouse, several men were scattered all over the place, analyzing every single detail of that block of wood.

“How long until you pinpoint her again?” He asked frustrated.

“It will take at least half an hour to know her exact location again. The further she gets, the longer it’ll take to…” The man was cutoff by Dr. Price.

“Then do it quickly…or you will be the one to pay the consequences!” Price threatened though ground teeth, turning away from the man.

-*-*-*-*

The two cars parked side by side, in the station’s parking lot. Parker was the first to get out of the car and with firm steps, she walked in the direction of the dinner, leaving her companions behind.

“Parker!” Jarod called back, intrigued with her behavior. “Where is she going?” He wondered.

“I don’t think she was feeling too well…” Isabel informed, walking besides Jarod and Ethan.

“Why?” Ethan questioned.

“Maybe it was something I said…” Isabel answered, entering the dinner, followed by Jarod and Ethan.

“And what did you say?” Jarod inquired, sitting down at one of the booths near the window.

“Well, she asked me who I am…and I sort of explained it to her.” Isabel was now facing the two men.

“And you are not going to believe what she has to say.” Parker stated, sitting down next to Isabel, her face pale and her blue eyes glowing intensely.

“Are you alright?” Ethan inquired. Miss Parker seemed shaken…weak.

“No and you won’t be either after she’s finished…” Parker commented, glancing over to Jarod.

“Who are you?” Both Ethan and Jarod questioned, looking at Isabel. She sighed and cleared her throat.

“Man has always tried to create the perfect human being” Isabel started. “Prometheus tried to built the perfect man out of mud, clay…just like God had done. The Nazi’s developed studies about what made some people smarter than others, what made some people special. The Centre, along with the modern technology, found a way to create their perfect guinea pig…their masterpiece. For years they researched and gathered information about people they thought were…’unique’ for their abilities. Those ‘unique’ people were very rare and they could only be ‘tagged’ through their blood. Science taught them how a human being was ‘built’, so they started analyzing their genes. They soon found which gene was the one responsible for those particular gifts.”

“The Pretender gene!” Jarod stated with wide eyes.

“What’s a ‘pretender’?” Isabel questioned, confused. Jarod opened his mouth to say something, but Parker cut him off.

“Oh please…let me!” She begged sarcastically. “A ‘pretender’ is a person that can become whoever they want to be. One day a doctor, the other…a crocodile wrestler.” She mused. “Generally, they are just a big pain in the ass!” Parker mocked, looking at Jarod. – Who glared back and sighed.

“It wasn’t a crocodile…it was an alligator” Jarod emended. “Go on Isabel.” He commanded.

“Of course then they didn’t just try to produce the perfect human being…They also had to gain something from it and one of their aims was to learn about the origin of the Centre…the power behind those Vespusian Scrolls they feared and revered at the same time.” Jarod and Parker exchanged knowing looks.

“Then, they decided they could no longer watch things from afar…they had to have a direct control over those special people, they had to see, register and perform experiments on those gifted people so they could chose from among them which they could actually use.”

“That’s when they started kidnapping children and locked them down.” Jarod stated angry, through clenched teeth.

“Yes. After long years of research they finally gathered a group of, lets call them ‘finalists’…”

“Eight ‘finalist’ to be precise.” Miss Parker said firmly, looking at Jarod.

“The Red Files?” Jarod asked, trying to process everything that Isabel was saying.

“Kyle, Timmy AKA ‘Angelo’, Lyle, Eddy, Alex, Damon, me and …you, Jarod.” Miss Parker explained with glittering. “It makes sense!”

“Two decades ago, they initiated the creation of a human hybrid…me, by recombining several strings of DNA, all containing the special gene and consequently, the gifts they needed.”

“They could actually produce a hybrid out of DNA chains?” Ethan asked shocked.

“I’m the living proof they could…and can.” Isabel added. “I couldn’t just be smarter…I needed to be faster, to endure more, to be able to focus under any circumstances. I can literally use 70% of the brain capacity while the average human being can only use 30%! They wanted me to ‘work out’ one special gift though: the ability of hearing things…of seeing things in my mind that no one could possibly know.”

“The Inner Sense?” Jarod questioned in a quiet voice.

“I know its name now.” Isabel replied, gazing over Ethan. “They tried to give me everything I would ever need in the course of my life. I had access to all kinds of music, books and films.” Isabel chuckled, lost in her thoughts for a moment. “I learned many things with the movies, so I can’t say I was really locked away…I was just locked up.”

“They tried to correct all the wrongs they made with me.” Jarod noticed.

“But by trying to ‘correct the wrongs’ as you put it, they made a bigger one. They showed me, through the movies, how life was outside those white walls. They had tried to manipulate me, through the voices, but when the Voices told me what was on those Scrolls, I knew I could no longer let them control me…”

“You know what’s on the Scrolls?” Parker and Jarod both asked at same time, with the same surprised tone. Isabel just nodded.

“One day, by mistake, they found out I could read the Scrolls…that I was everything they had ever wanted me to be. That’s when things started to get ‘ugly’ for my side. Every Friday they performed endless tests to discover what I knew, until one day Mr. Raines came to move me to another place. They used drugs on me…drugs that had no effect, because my nervous system is much more complex than the average nervous system. As I said, I can endure things that most people can’t, but at some point, they would have killed me with the drugs, if you didn’t rescue me when you did…” Isabel finished, her eyes low, looking at the table. No one said anything…they were still too shocked and trying to understand everything, so they couldn’t utter a word.

“My God…” Ethan whispered, rubbing his forehead.

“I think God has nothing to do with this.” Parker noted.

“There’s no limit for the Centre’s wickedness…” Jarod muttered under his breath.

“So, what are you going to order?” A blond waitress with a heavy Bronx accent approached their table, a notebook in her hands, ready to take whatever their orders were. The group just looked at the waitress dumbfounded, confused and speechless. They had forgotten why they were there…

“I’m not hungry anymore.” Parker stated with a disgusted look.

“Well sugar, you have to order something.” The waitress replied, her eyes gazing over Jarod. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Deaf, dumb and blond…” Parker muttered under her breath, focusing on Jarod. “Quite the lethal combination, wouldn’t you agree?” She questioned him. He remained silent for he didn’t want to piss her off more. She would probably end up taking her anger out on him… The waitress remained at her side, oblivious to Parker’s remark.

“We’ll have three ‘breakfast specials’…” Jarod looked at Ethan and he nodded and then at Isabel who nodded aswell. Parker sighed.

Parker sighed - “Make it four…’honey’” Parker added with bitterness.

“Okey dokey.” Was the waitress’ answer.

“What’s a ‘breakfast special’?” Isabel inquired in a low voice after the waitress was gone.

“It’s a special breakfast where you’ll have the opportunity to try out one of the most greasy delicacies of this country.” Parker explained and chuckled when Isabel looked positively disgusted.

“You will love it…you’ll see.” Jarod comforted her. Ethan and Parker exchanged amused looks.

“I understood everything you said, Isabel” Jarod stated after a while. “But I just don’t get this one thing. To create a human being you need more than just DNA chains…you need the raw material…you need an embryo to begin with, a zygote that won’t be rejected and consequently die due to the recombined strings. The chances of them finding those two perfect female and male gametes that could produce such zygote are like none…they would have to cheat on Mother Nature and I think that not even the Centre has that kind of power!”

“You’re wrong Jarod. They have that power and the knowledge. By altering the genetic information in two gametes, they artificially produced the zygote they needed and after that…you already know the story.”

“How could their sordid work go unnoticed for so many years?” Parker questioned no one in particular. She was still in shock….there were no limits for the Centre’s ambition.

“That’s where the Scrolls come in.” The waitress returned with the food. The trio just looked at Isabel momentarily speechless.

“This smells good!” She stated with wide eyes looking at the bacon and scrambled eggs on her plate.

-*-*-*-*

“Sir, we have the preliminary reports from the assault down on SL-22.” The dark suit man said over the phone.

“So? How did Jarod and Ethan take the girl out of a heavily secured room?” Mr. Raines wheezed back.

“That’s the problem, sir. We analyzed the bullet that almost killed one of the sweepers. We’re not sure Ethan was directly involved in it. The bullet belongs to a 9mm S&W…lady model.”

No reply came from other side of the line except silence.

“That doesn’t mean anything! They could have taken the gun from anyone.” Raines practically roared.

“Not in this case, sir. We’ve also analyzed the fingerprints we found and…some belong to Miss Parker…” Once again, the man heard nothing from the other side of the line.

“I want them found…immediately!” Raines barked after a while.

“What are the orders regarding Miss Parker? You want her alive?”

A long pause.

“…Preferably.”

-*-*-*-*





The next part of my fic might take a little longer to be posted because well…real life is calling me back! College vacations are over and so is my spare time to write…but, I will try my best to continue my work. Thank you so much for the feedback…I can’t believe you actually like my story! Peace peeps!