Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Although the characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and they were used without permission, the character ‘Isabel’ belongs to me. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended, so don’t sue!



The Prophecy
part 7
by Amelia






“Sir, I think we have a problem.” One of the dark suited men, down in the surveillance room, said over the phone.

“What kind of a problem?” Dr. Price snapped back, annoyed.

“We’ve detected a security breach down on SL-22.” He informed.

“What?” Dr. Price barked, furious now.

“We’ve just sent two of our men down there…the girl is missing, sir.”

“Morons! How can she be missing?” Dr. Price yelled at the phone.

“They found the guards unconscious on the floor and someone messed with the cameras’ system. We’re trying to determine what happened as we speak.”

“Find her fast…and don’t inform Mr. Raines about this, yet.” He ordered, hanging off the call.

-*-*-*-*

“Do you think she’ll be alright?” Miss Parker asked while driving, always keeping an eye on her rearview mirror in case someone was following them. Fortunately earlier that week, Broots had managed to rid her car off bugs, so they couldn’t be tagging her.

“I don’t know what kind of drugs they were using on her, but I guess she’ll be fine. She will need a lot of rest and a lot of fluids.” Jarod replied, keeping his eyes on the road.

“She looks so fragile.” Parker noticed with a frown. “Could she be another Pretender?”

“I don’t know…probably.” Jarod answered after a while. “But I’m planning to find out what exactly she is and especially…what Raines wanted from her.”

“Ditto.”

“So, how long to this lair of yours?” She questioned after another moment of silence. The night was starting to give its place to the morning light.

“Turn left at the next cross-road. It won’t be long after that.” Jarod kept looking outside the window, his mind working on borrowed time. Parker too was starting to feel the results of a long night crawling up and down the vents. She just prayed that Jarod had a nice cozy bed in his den, where she could rest for a couple of hours…or someone would end up severely hurt.

-*-*-*-*

“Anything?” Dr. Price demanded more than he asked.

“We’ve detected an error on the film of the cameras down on SL-22 and in the main entrance, but we can’t find the source of that error. Apparently someone replaced the original film for a copy, so we couldn’t see whoever was down there.”

“Have you found out who tempered with the system?” Dr. Price inquired, taking a good look at the copied film of Isabel’s room showing on all of the screens. In it, she was still sleeping in her bed.

“We’re not sure, but we’ve found this out.” Stopping the film, the man replaced the DSA for another CD. Jarod and Ethan were shown running through one of the main vents. The men froze the image when both their faces became clear.

“Jarod!” Dr. Price hissed with rage. “Call Mr. Raines and inform him of the situation. Tell him that Jarod has Isabel.”

“But sir…” The man started to protest.

“Do what I say.” Dr. Price roared with a crazy look in his eyes. The man just nodded and picked up the phone. Dialing Mr. Raines’ number he waited for him to answer.

-*-*-*-*

Miss Parker stopped the car in front of what seemed to be an abandoned warehouse. Jarod stepped out and opened the gate so she could park the car inside. Stepping out herself, she observed her surroundings. She frowned with disgusted after a while.

“Not exactly your style?” Jarod questioned, scooping the girl up in his arms and kicking the door shut.

“You couldn’t have stayed in a luxurious hotel for a change, could you?” She hissed through ground teeth, catching the keys Jarod had thrown her way.

“Nope. I like the ‘down to Earth” kind of accommodations.” He said with his usual ‘gotcha’ smiles. He knew how she had hated all those primitive warehouses he had inevitably dragged her to. “At least here no one asks embarrassing questions.”

“Yes, I can see you are a ‘down to Earth’ person…but not quite far down enough for me.” She muttered under her breath, trying to unlock the door of that pitiful block of wood. Succeeding, she kicked the door open and stepped inside, followed by Jarod.

He immediately walked up stairs, carrying the girl still tucked in the blanket. Parker saw him placing her over a bed and covered her up with more blankets. She looked around, trying to see another bed, a couch…something where she could lay down for a moment. Her back was killing her and her head had already been pounding for a long period of time. She started to massage her temples, trying to ease the ache.

“Would you like something…like a tea or a hot chocolate?” Jarod asked, stepping down the stairs. “I have to prepare something for her to drink so…” He added seeing Parker’s tired look.

“The last thing I need right now is for you to ‘play nice’ at me.” She snapped annoyed. Where were Broots and Ethan?

“Fine.” Was his sharp answer. He then walked to the part of the warehouse that looked a bit more like a rustic kitchen. Parker watched him fill a kettle with water.

“I thought you didn’t like to be around the Centre. This shack of yours just refutes my suspicious.” She commented, taking off her jacket.

“Me and Ethan just arrived this morning.” He explained, turning around and leaning against the washstand, folding his arms over his chest. “We haven’t been able to unpack properly.”

“I can imagine you have a lot to unpack.” She uttered sarcastically, taking another look around the place.

“Thanks to you, I don’t own much luggage.” He said with bitterness. She gazed over him and then chuckled with mocking disdain.

“Thanks to you I don’t have a life. We’re even, don’t you think?” She remarked slyly.

“You’ve chosen not have a life while I was deprived of having one…we’re not nearly even.” He hissed with anger and sorrow. She let out a small laugh, but not a bit amused.

“Oh please Jarod.” She snapped. “I think we’ve been over that issue one time too many. Lets not engage in a topic we know we’ll both lose!” She bit back, still smiling.

“As usual, you avoid the subject.” He stated with a smug smile.

“And what subject would that be?” She inquired.

For a moment neither said anything, they just stood there, staring at each other.

The whistle of the kettle broke the spell. Jarod turned to finish preparing the tea and Parker sighed, more relieved than she would like to admit. For a second, she feared Jarod would mention the events back in the Scottish isle and she didn’t have the will or the power to discuss it with him.

“How long do you think she’ll be out?” She questioned, rubbing the back of her neck.

“A few hours, at least. You should go home and rest.” He said, filling a cup with tea.

“I’m not going anywhere.” She uttered firmly. Parker almost jumped out of her skin when she heard the sound of something hitting hard against the wooden counter of the kitchen.

“Damn it Parker” Jarod spat at her furious. “I’ve just trusted you with my life! Can’t you trust me just this once? I’ll be here when you come back!” He yelled.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you!” She yelled back in the same furious tone. “But I don’t think I can drive all the way back to my house without falling asleep behind the wheel!” She finished through ground teeth. Her headache had just gone from bad to intolerable. “And where the hell are Broots and Ethan?” She added, seeing Jarod’s perplexed look.

“We’re here.” Ethan said entering the place followed by Broots. “ What did we miss?” He asked first looking at Jarod and then to his sister.

“Years of distrust.” Was Jarod’s enigmatic answer, still looking at Parker. She just glared back.

“Ok…” Ethan replied, nodding slowly.

“Did you encounter any difficulties exiting the Centre?” Parker inquired, avoiding Jarod’s stare.

“No…no problems at all.” Broots replied.

“How’s the girl?” Ethan wondered.

“Heavily drugged. She’s going to sleep through the next couple of hours so I suggest we do the same.” Jarod said, taking his cup of tea and heading up stairs, where he could watch over the girl. Right now, he wanted to be as far away as he could from Parker or he feared he’d end up doing something or saying something he’d regret later…

“Miss Parker, I think we should call Sydney.” Broots stated after Jarod’s departure. Parker glanced at him and then at Jarod, up stairs sitting comfortably on a chair, sipping his tea. “He could help us…he might know something about this girl.”

“I seriously doubt that Freud would of hid anything like this…especially from me.” Miss Parker snarled.

“I think he would…especially from you.” Broots retorted. Parker seemed to ponder his words for a moment.

“Ethan, do you have any toys in that bag of yours that could scramble my phone?” Parker questioned, taking her cell out.

“Yeah.” Was Ethan’s reply.

-*-*-*-*

“How did this happen?” Raines wheezed, furious. “How did Jarod find about Isabel?”

“We don’t know, sir.” Dr. Price sat calmly across from Mr. Raines, hands clasped together over the desk.

“Have you tracked her down?”

“Not yet, but soon we’ll have her exact location. What are your orders regarding Jarod and Ethan?”

“We need Jarod alive…” Raines informed in a cold tone.

“And Ethan?”

Mr. Raines smiled.

“Just Jarod.”

-*-*-*-*