Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Although the characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Center, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and they were used without permission, the character ‘Isabel’ belongs to me. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended, so don’t sue!



The Prophecy
part 5
by Amelia




Jarod and Ethan halted to a stop, ducking behind a ventilation exit-box. They were breathing fast due to the run and their breaths could be seen in the chilly night.

“Here’s where we go in.” Jarod said, peering over the box searching for a guard. ‘None…as usual. Those security boys are about as smart bait!’ Jarod thought, while opening the box’s gate. Some red lasers could be seen blocking the entrance. Ethan grinned when Jarod, using two mirrors, channeled the lasers into a thin tube - clearing the entrance.

“I can see you do this a lot.” Ethan said with a smile, helping Jarod go down the vent.

“It helps me to exercise my demons.” Jarod replied, catching his brother’s back-pack. Ethan landed softly, like a cat, next to Jarod. “I’m impressed!” He said with both eyebrows raised. Ethan chuckled.

“Where to now?” He asked.

“Follow me.” Jarod gestured. They both ran quietly through the main vent.

“Do you have any clue where they have placed it?” Ethan questioned, after a while of running through the vents.

“Probably in one of the lower sub-levels. But I will only have the right location once I get my hands on Mr. Broots computer.”

“Mr. Broots?” Ethan asked, starting to climb up the vent’s stairs, right behind Jarod.

“One of your sister little helpers.” Jarod whispered. Stopping climbing, he searched for any movement outside, in the main corridor.

At that hour, the Centre was almost a ghost town…almost. Slowly he opened the vent gate and slipped to the ground, making no noise. Ethan followed him shortly afterwards. They both looked for any guards or employees that could be working late at night, but all the lights were off in every office. They walked next to the walls, the dark shadows of the night hiding their forms. They stopped again at the end of the corridor and peeked around the corner. - No one was in sight.

Broots’ office was just down that next corridor so they hurried up. No light in his office either. Slowly Jarod opened the door and peered inside, while Ethan watched for any signs of in coming people. Everything was quiet. They both entered and closed the door behind them.

“Ok, everything has gone as planned…so far.” Ethan whispered. Jarod went over to Broots’ desk, immediately starting to work his way into Broots’s program system. Ethan stayed close to the door in alert. “Anything?” He asked after a couple of minutes.

“Apparently Mr. Broots has some ‘solid’ leads to my whereabouts. According to him, I’m somewhere on the West Coast.” Ethan and Jarod exchanged amused looks and both chuckled.

“You’re somewhere, alright.”

“Here we go.” Jarod said when he finally accessed the recent files. “Strange, he too has been checking on Raines.” He stopped and opened his mouth in mocking surprise. “He found about something on SL-22. My guess would be he found out what Raines brought from Africa.”

“That’s a good thing right?” Ethan asked, getting closer to the desk.

“Not when he has been looking for the same thing we have. If he has this information so does Miss Parker.”

“And I can see that’s a problem for you.” Although Jarod couldn’t see Ethan’s face too well, he knew he had a wicked smile.

“For you too, if she catches you here, peering on her extra curriculum activities …brother or no brother.”

“You made sure she was at home, right?” Ethan inquired, returning to his post near the door.

“No.” Jarod kept typing at the keyboard.

“You didn’t call her? But you know where she is, right?” Ethan asked concerned. He liked his sister very much, but the idea of a third degree encounter with his brother’s huntress, wasn’t exactly what he was looking for.

“I have no clue where she is.” Jarod replied, still focused on the computer. He admired Broots - for he was one of the few, if not the only man that could master him when it came to computers.

“So she could be right outside this door?” Ethan whispered, a little too nervous. That caught Jarod’s attention.

“Yes. Why?” He whispered back. Ethan looked at him and nodded frenetically.

“I think she’s outside the door!” Ethan mouthed more than he whispered. Jarod froze in the seat.

-*-*-*-*

“Sometimes I wonder if you are brain-dead!” Parker jolted through ground teeth when she entered Broots office, followed by the man in question.

“Y-You didn’t say I had to go along with you! You just said to take care of the cameras!” Broots said, turning the lights on.

“One could think that, after all this time, you’d get the general idea of the we thing.” She snapped, but noticed that Broots was whiter than a ghost, his eyes focused on something behind her back. Turning around to Broots’ desk, her world came tumbling down.

Jarod sat calmly at Broots’ desk, his hands claps together over his lips. He wasn’t entertained, but there was something about that peculiar situation that amused him. Ethan stood behind him.

“J-Jarod?” Broots blurred out, in shock. “Oh my God! What are you doing here?” He whispered, stepping closer to his desk afraid Jarod would vanish into thin air at any time.

“Good evening, Mr. Broots.” Jarod greeted, a smug smile on his face, his eyes firmly locked on the person behind Broots.

“Well, well…this might be my lucky night after all!” Parker uttered with a cold smile, folding her arms over her chest. She felt her throat going dry.

“Hello Miss Parker.” Jarod had one of his usual ‘gotcha’ grins.

‘That son-of-a bitch…’ Parker thought with rage, flaming Jarod with her eyes.

For a moment, Parker was mute. For the first time in her life she didn’t know what to say, but she had a pretty good idea what she wanted to do. Pulling her 9mm S&W out, she aimed it at Jarod’s head. Broots immediately stepped out of her way. For all he knew, Jarod was already dead!

“Up.” Ordered Parker through ground teeth, her eyes capable of killing him on the spot. Jarod rose slowly serious now.

“Miss Parker!” Ethan called. For a moment, Parker didn’t seem to hear her brother. All she could think of was how much she wanted to shoot Jarod. “Miss Parker!” He called again, this time stepping between her gun and her target. Parker blinked and acknowledged his presence.

“What the hell are you doing here, Ethan?” She inquired, lowering her gun so not to shoot at her own brother. Due to an uncontrollable wish for blood, her eyes were still locked on Jarod’s.

“I had this vision…”

“What kind of a vision?” Parker questioned abruptly, facing Ethan.

“Of a white room.” He answered. Miss Parker sighed and then started to chuckle. “What’s wrong?” Ethan asked, surprised with his sister’s reaction.

“I should have guessed…We had the same vision!” She explained with a cynic smile.

“Then, you know whoever Raines brought from Africa, needs our help!” Ethan added. Parker’s eyebrows rose in surprise.

“I will have a nice chat with our little friend down on SL-22, but right now I have more important things to do.” She pronounced with a deadly smile, turning her attention back to Jarod. “You…face the wall.” She gushed, her gun aiming at Jarod again.

“You really think you can go down there by yourself?” Jarod asked, facing the wall, hands behind his back.

“Shut up!” She ordered. “I want nothing out of you, but breathing…and very little of that.” She said in a deadly tone, gun against his head.

“I could help you to take care of those four armed guards down on SL-22.”

“Which part of ‘shut up’ didn’t you understand?” She pressed the gun harder.

“Miss Parker, Jarod is right. You’ll never pass through those guards alone.” Ethan was starting to worry for Jarod’s safety. He had never seen his sister so mad.

“Broots is going with me.” She stated.

“Broots?” Jarod inquired, turning around to face her. She kept the gun pressed against his forehead. “No offense, but Broots is a geek and his place should be behind the computer.”

“None taken.” Broots replied which earned him a glare from his fire-breathing-dragon boss.

“First, I didn’t ask for your opinion, secondly I told you to shut up!” She snapped at Jarod.

“Don’t tell me you’re angry because I don’t call, I don’t write any…” He couldn’t finish his mocking remark, because Parker whacked his face with her gun.

“You haven’t seen me angry Labrat!” She warned with an icy glow in her eyes. Ethan wondered why was Jarod deliberately trying to infuriate Parker.

“Wonderful!” Jarod replied in the same cold tone, cleaning the blood that had started to rush from the corner of his lower lip. “You know, I’m really getting tired of your attitude.”

“Deal with it!” She spat. Suddenly her mind was flooded by hundreds of different images, all showing at an incredible speed: a laboratory, a dentist chair, a syringe with a blue liquid, a white smock, the beeping of a heart being monitored…it made her yelp in pain. She couldn’t even breathe for it was so intense!

* Help me…please hurry… *

Ethan couldn’t bare the pain in his head, it was too sudden, too extreme for his young body to take. He felt his knees giving away under him and in an instant, he was on the floor, hanging for dear life to his head.

Miss Parker started to fall down aswell, but Jarod caught her mid way. As suddenly as they had come, the pain and images were gone and she was able to breathe again.

“Are you ok?” Jarod asked, concerned. For a moment, Parker was lost in his eyes, butterflies filling her stomach. She wondered how, after all she had said and done to him, he could still be worried about her.

“Are y-you alright Miss Parker?” Broots ran to her side, calling her back to reality.

“I’m fine.” She finally said, pulling herself from Jarod’s grip, not taking her eyes from his.

“Ethan!” Jarod called, running to his brother’s side, helping him to sit up. He was still shaken and amazed…and confused with what had just happened. Did Parker and he just have a “moment”? Whatever it was, that was neither the place nor the time to think about those things.

“What happened?” Broots asked, visibly concerned.

“That voice again…so much pain.” Ethan tried to explain, catching his breath.

“Broots, is everything ready?” Parker asked.

“Yes. Why?”

“I’m going down there. Give me the gear.” She ordered.

“I’m not letting you go alone Parker.” Jarod uttered, helping Ethan to a standing position.

“I didn’t ask for your permission.” She spat while inserting the tinny headphone in her ear.

“I’m going with you.” Jarod insisted - the other headphone in his ear. “Besides, who’s going to watch over me while you’re down there? The security guards? I don’t think so, I’d escape in no time. Lyle?” He caught her attention with that one.

“You’re lucky my brother isn’t here. I’m tempted to hand you over to him just to see what he’d do.” She bit back.

“We’d probably end up sharing the same cage and I would definitely qualify that as Hell.”

“You’re right, I should bring you along with me because, if you cross me… I’ll feed you to the guards” She yelled to the microphone hanging from the headphone. “Hear that Broots?” She asked testing the gear. Jarod just glared at her.

“L-Loud and clear, Miss Parker” Was Broot’s reply into his own mic.

-*-*-*-*