Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Although the characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Center, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and they were used without permission, the character ‘Isabel’ belongs to me. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended, so don’t sue!



The Prophecy
part 3
by Amelia





*My new room…or should I say, cell? It really isn’t much different from my former accommodations - it has the same books, the same paintings and drawings hanging on the wall, the same furniture, the same carpet and the same fake daylight provided by some lamps artistically hidden in some cracks in the ceiling. I also have a brand new computer and a stereo. Oh, they actually allowed me to have a TV with a wide screen and a DVD- latest model! I have a huge collection of films and CD’s. My, oh my…isn’t this a wonderful golden cadge? Ha! They are trying to provide me with everything I’ll ever need…or think I’ll need, but they really don’t have a clue about what I really want. It’s almost pathetic! One thing is different though…I can’t find any cameras, but I know they are watching my every move. I can almost see them, in some dark room, looking at several screens, all showing the same images, but from different angles: me. I know what they want…what he wants, Mr. Raines – it’s his name, I over-heard a guy calling him when they brought me to this place. There’s no way in Hell I’m going to tell him what I saw, what I see every time I close my eyes: those scrolls. I know they have "ways" to make me talk, but it won’t work. I know this, but they don’t…He cannot know what it is written on those scrolls…he mustn’t or everything will be doomed. "A boy named Jarod…" I have to find this boy, wherever he is! He’s the key…I have to get out of here! *

-*-*-*-*

"Girl needs help." Angelo whispered watching Isabel, hidden in the dark vents. "Jarod not here, Daughter scared…Angelo help"

-*-*-*-*

"Miss Parker, can I come in?" Asked Broots entering his boss’ office. He had found something fishy about Mr. Raines’ disappearing act and he knew how Miss Parker loved those ‘smelly’ things.

"You’re already in, Broots." She stated, not bothering to raise her eyes from the file she was studying.

"Yeah, I found out why Mr. Raines is, well…was missing. He went to Africa." He said with a pleased smile on his face.

"He’s back? In one piece?" Parker asked. She had to bite her tongue not to laugh at Broot’s perplexed face.

"Y-Yeah. Too bad, uh?" He chuckled, but seeing she wasn’t smiling he dropped it. Clearing his throat, Broots continued. "The thing is, he took two sweeper teams with him on that journey to the Black Continent." He smiled, still pleased with the discoveries. Parker just stared at him bluntly.

"So…?" She asked annoyed.

"So, why didn’t he take Willie along too? Or instead? Why would Mr. Raines need two sweeper teams to go on a journey to Africa?"

"Because he likes to be surrounded by big, strong men, armed with big powerful guns and Willie was already taken…?" She purred with a mischievous smile playing on her lips. Broots swallowed hard. Suddenly Mr. Raines wearing nothing but a leopard thong came to mind. He was going to throw up.

"I don’t think that’s the case Miss Parker" Broots answered, trying to block any images of Mr. Raines.

"So, why did he need two teams?”

"Well, he didn’t go to a meeting that’s for sure." He grinned.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because Miss Parker, no one at the Center, goes to Africa to have just a meeting. They usually return in body bags or don’t return at all! My guess would be that Mr. Raines and his men went there to deliver something."

"Raines isn’t a ‘delivery-boy’. He has Lyle for that."

"Then he went there to pick something up, something extremely valuable. Why else would he need two sweeper teams?"
“What is Raines up to now?” Miss Parker wondered.

"I don’t know…yet." Broots added, seeing her not-so-pleased face.

"Find out what, and do it…"

"Quietly, I know." Broots finished for her. No one felt safe any more at the Center, especially Miss Parker - since Mr. Parker had jumped to his freedom and to a presumable death. No body had been found, nor the Scrolls for that matter. "What about Jarod?" Parker looked at him instinctively.

"What about him?"

"Do you think he knows what Raines has been doing? Maybe he could help us find…"
"Jarod isn’t our ally, Broots!" She snapped a little too annoyed. "He’s the jerk we’ve been chasing all around the damn country for the past five years! Or haven’t you been paying any attention?"

Broots had grown short in his seat. ‘Mental note: don’t mention Jarod to Miss Parker’ He thought. Needing no more clues, he exited her office and headed back to his work place. Right now, he wouldn’t trade places with Jarod, even for all the riches in the world.

-*-*-*-*

"You think we’ll find anything in the Center’s mainframe?" Ethan asked, watching Jarod work.

"It’s a good place to start looking." He said typing very fast, entering endless codes in the computer’s screen.

"Don’t they have a tight security?"

Jarod grinned, his eyes firmly gripped on the screen.

"Yes, very tight." Jarod said with a hint of sarcasm in his tone. Ethan wasn’t sure if his brother was serious or if he was just joking. Suddenly, a red box with a message popped up on the screen, saying Level 4 license required. Jarod typed in a ten-digit code and immediately the small box turned from red to green: code accepted.

"Tight uh?" Ethan and Jarod exchanged knowing looks. "Ok genius, now what?" Ethan grimaced.

"Now we take a pick at doctor Frankenstein’s inbox. We’ll look for the most recent entries and see if anything sounds out of place." Jarod explained while he read the several names and dates of the e-mails. "Although I suspect we’ll find many things sounding out of place." He said under his breath.

"Look here Jarod." Ethan pointed to an e-mail received the day before. Jarod clicked over it and they found an encrypted message. "Oh, great!" Ethan uttered, disappointed. "I don’t suppose you know how to break that code…?"

"I could try, but I’ll need your help." Jarod pointed to the other computer. Understanding, Ethan sat in front of it and waited for Jarod’s instructions.

"This is nice, you know?" Ethan smiled, after a while.

"What, going through Mr. Raines sordid life?" Jarod smiled back, playing with Ethan.

"No, us…working together."

"I know what you mean. I wish we could do this more often, but I understand you don’t want to be around a fugitive." Jarod was trying to be funny, but his sad look gave him away.

"I am a fugitive too, remember? I just wished my hunters were a bit more like yours." The wicked grin in Ethan’s eyes was enough to warn Jarod.

"You have no idea what you’re talking about."

"What, you don’t think I’d like to have a tall, leggy and beautiful huntress like my sister, chasing me around? Believe me brother, I know exactly what I’m talking about!"

"You’ve changed…" Jarod decided to avoid the subject. There was no point dwelling on things he wasn’t sure he wanted to dwell in. To talk about Parker with his brother could be fatal for him...in many ways! "…You’re not as timid as you were." Jarod’s worried, but playful face made Ethan laugh.

-*-*-*-*
Half an hour later, both Jarod and Ethan rejoiced when the encrypted message became readable. They found out that the whole e-mail was a bunch of messages.

"Apparently Mr. Raines was in Africa." Ethan said, reading one of the messages.
"Yes." Was Jarod short reply. He was focused on something else, the last part of the message to be exact. "And he went to pick up something. Whatever it was, its well guarded and away from all peering eyes, and is now somewhere in the facilities of Blue Cove."

"Maybe this thing Raines went to pick up in Africa is not a thing…but a person! The one who asked for my help!" Ethan started to pace, his mind working fast. It made sense! "What do you think?"

"It’s possible…There’s only one way for us to find out." - Jarod faced his brother, a small contented smile on his lips and glowing eyes.

"You’re going to ask my sister?" Ethan offered with a sly smile. He knew Jarod cared more for her then he’d liked to admit. For some reason, he was enjoying taunting Jarod.

"No. I think it’s better to leave your sister out of this." Jarod replied all serious. He looked menacing at Ethan.

"Yeah, she might disagree with you." Ethan was mocking him. That little brat! – Jarod thought.

"That’s not exactly news." They both chuckled. Ethan decided to leave it there. He wasn’t going to push Jarod to talk about a thing he obviously didn’t want to talk about. The time would come…he just hoped that he was right about the vibrations he was getting from his brother…and sister, for that matter.

"So, that plan of yours…?"

"Right, we have to get inside of the Center, search for this mysterious person or thing Raines is protecting and then we rescue it. Then, I think you and me will have a little chat about your witty remarks." Jarod said playfully.

"Get inside of the Center, as in…really inside?" Ethan asked, dumbfounded. Jarod nodded. "I hate being the one to burst your bubble, but I think you have a screw lose!"

"That’s not exactly news either." Jarod grinned. "Good plan?"

"Good plan." Ethan confirmed. It was going to be a hell of a ride.

-*-*-*-*