Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Betrayal
part 3
by Amy





Jarod stared, unbelieving, at Raines. Not even he would...but he would. Raines smiled at him, no emotion, no feeling in his eyes. Jarod glared back with all of the hatred he could muster, but he knew he that he had no other choice. He looked over at Nancy and dropped his head in submission.

"What do you want me to do?" he asked.

He saw Lyle hold back a smile out of the corner of his eyes, but one look from Ms. Parker silenced him. Raines held his hand towards a table in the center of the room and bowed, mocking his sacrifice. Jarod was shoved forward and he threw a reassuring smile over to Nancy as he passed by her. He sat obediently in the uncomfortable chair and waited for his instructions.

"Willie," Mr. Raines rasped. "Tie the girl up over there as a reminder of what will happen if Jarod fails to comply."

Nancy’s hands were cuffed behind her and she was thrown to the floor. A Center operative was stationed beside her a gun in hand.

Lyle placed a lap top computer on the table and pointed to the screen. "These are your subjects, Jarod. These are the wife and child of a scientist who has discovered an enzyme which can be used as a catalyst for certain diseases. It’s called-"

"Mortis in Vita," Jarod cut him off. "It was discovered by an acclaimed scientist by the name of Dr. Jake Morose, and is now being researched by the government. Because of Dr. Morose’s mysterious death a little over four years ago, the research is being headed up by someone who worked for him. Kevin Turner."

He stared emotionlessly at the surprise on Lyle’s face.

"I once exposed a scientist who had discovered the formula and was testing it on innocent people."

"Ah yes," Lyle mocked. "The benevolent genius at work. Well, we want the formula. I know you won’t develop it, but you will find Mr. Turner, who seems to have disappeared."

"And how am I supposed to do that?" Jarod asked.

Lyle turned and motioned, and a woman was shoved in, clutching a young child close to her.

"This is his wife. She knows where her husband is but, despite repeated threats against her and her child, she refuse to tell us. You are going to find out."

Jarod stared at the woman, pity washing over him, but he could do nothing to help them. Not now. He stood and walked slowly towards them, feeling a stab of guilt from the fear in the eyes of the little girl.

"I won’t say anything," the young mother muttered stubbornly, pressing herself into the corner farthest from him and sitting quietly. Jarod watched her, seeing the horrible bruises on her face and turned on Lyle.

"She’s been beaten?" he asked calmly.

Lyle scowled, "We even hit the kid and she wouldn’t say anything."

Jarod turned quickly back to the mother, knowing that if he looked at Lyle again, he would kill him, thus killing the young girl. He walked forward and crouched beside the woman, trying to ignore the sobs that shook the body of the toddler she held.

"May I hold her?" Jarod asked quietly.

"You're not touching her!" the mother yelled, holding her closer. Jarod glance behind him at the sweepers.

"I think you know that if I wanted to, I could have her taken from you. I would rather you just gave her to me. It would be much easier on the child."

The mother thought for a moment, then reluctantly handed the child over. Jarod smiled and took her, cradling her close to him.

"She's beautiful," he said, wincing at the sight of bruises on her fragile arms.

The mother frowned, confused. She watched as Jarod played with her child, bringing a smile to her lips. He turned to the sweepers and used as commanding a tone as he could.

"Bring me some water for the child."

The men stood for a moment until a brisk nod from Mr. Raines urged them out of the door. They returned with a small glass and handed it to him. He whispered something to the man and he left again, returning with a small vile. Jarod took it and emptied the contents into the drink. He turned back
to the mother, still holding the young girl in his arms. As realization began to dawn on the woman, she lept to her feet and tried to take her child from his grasp, but was held back by sweepers. Jarod continued to look at the child until his attention was jerked away as Sydney and Broots walked in.

Sydney looked from Jarod to the child to the young girl tied up in the corner and looked to Jarod with question in his eyes.

"I do think you want to give me that code now, Mrs. Turner."

He watched with unimaginable guilt as the woman stared at her child, unwilling to let her die, but unable to betray her husband's safety. Jarod gave the child the glass and she drank it eagerly. She handed it back to him and grinned. But her smile faded quickly and her eyes became so very heavy... She slumped backwards in Jarod's arms, her lips turning to a deep blue.


What do you think?!?!?!
Feedback please!